Become a Patron!

Dual 18650s vs Single 21700

godhelpme

Member For 1 Year
I am not that informed when it comes to batteries as I've only had one mod (that had a freak accident). I am between two mods now, one of which is a dual 18650 and the other a single 18650, 20700, or 21700. The ohm resistances would be anywhere from .2 to 1.5. Occasional Sub-Ohm and RDA, but MTL is the main type of tank I use if it matters. I'm new to coil building so unsure if it affects any kind of setup.

TL;DR: What are the pros and cons of each setup?

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 21700 wouldn't last as long as dual 18650 but size of mod could be smaller. Doing MTL battery life should be an issue. I got dual 21700

godhelpme

Member For 1 Year
A 21700 wouldn't last as long as dual 18650 but size of mod could be smaller. Doing MTL battery life should be an issue. I got dual 21700
Probably a dumbass question, but would single or dual coil, or type of coil used create much difference in battery life?

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probably a dumbass question, but would single or dual coil, or type of coil used create much difference in battery life?
Yes larger mass is going to take longer to heat up and lower ohms is going to take more power. being dual coil by itself isn't going to necessary drain batteries faster if you keep those coils higher ohm.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm old fashioned, so my personal opinion is to go with dual 18650. They are tried and true and dependable. If you're doing mtl mostly then battery life won't be an issue. I'm running a single .7 clapton at 35w atm on dual 18650's. Battery life will NOT be an issue at all.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I’m currently using these 2 throughout the day, the Dovpo Basium dual 18650 and the Pulse 80w 20700. Running single coil setups around 35-45w the Basium lasts a little over a day with 25r’s, the Pulse will go for almost two days on a Sanyo 4000mah 20700. If I was to use just one mod and nothing else I’d say the Pulse would last me the entire day without a battery change/charge. My Vaporesso Armour Pro will also go quite a while on a single 21700 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Get 2 ! 1 each ! :devil:

With dual 18650, think about getting 4 batteries/2 married couples, so 1 set can charge while your using the other.
Or
Dual 18650 w/2 batteries, and a single 21700 and mod, or built in battery mod, for when you know 1 charge will last long enough.

Did you have a certain mod in mind?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah. Single-cell mods pick the damnedest times to report "LOW BATTERY" - I chuck my little sx m-class in my pocket when I take the DS-style to work: if there is an issue, I can still vape going in, there, and coming home. Otherwise I just take the DNA200 with fresh cells - fine for almost 2 days. (Granted, the M-class is good for a nice day of vaping, but I don't want to screw with the threaded-tube/cap away from the home.)

Single-cells always worked better for me when running out to the store & back for an hour or so - past that you are likely swapping cells - or wish you could!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you’re using a variable wattage mod, the ONLY thing that affects how long the batteries last is the watt setting you use. The higher the watts, the faster the batteries drain. Coil resistance has nothing to do with it unless you’re using an unregulated mod.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you’re using a variable wattage mod, the ONLY thing that affects how long the batteries last is the watt setting you use. The higher the watts, the faster the batteries drain. Coil resistance has nothing to do with it unless you’re using an unregulated mod.
Higher wattage and lower ohms equates to more voltage which translates to more battery drain. So yes. Single vs. dual coils will play a factor.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A coil with 5 wraps has less resistance than a similar coil with 10 wraps. Does that mean the 5 wrap coil needs more power? You guys don’t know what you’re talking about. Watt setting alone determines how fast batteries drain in a vw mod. Period. Resistance has jack shit to do with it.

VU Sponsors