Become a Patron!

Dual Battery Mod Advice: Battlestar vs Minikin v2 vs other

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone, been using the stick v8 and loving it but I'm looking for something for my birthday next month that has more potential and will be more fun to mess with and has the build quality to last a decent while. At first I was eyeing things like the Smok alien 220w and really liked the fire bar it has, but as we all know there are many possible issues and to me seems to be too cheaply priced to stand the test of time, maybe I'm wrong. The only cheap mod that seems to be worthwhile seems to be the battlestar, decent design, decent temp control (never used, but it's nice to have the option especially if it works well since most seem to be janky.) I also like how the 510 pin looks like it's applied way more securely than most mods. The only thing that seems to be a downside is the non-upgradeable firmware, and I guess it isn't totally flashy but it does look nice, especially the rainbow and copper. Also hear it's volts min/max at like 3.9, don't know if that's an issue.

The other one I've been recently eyeing is the Asmodus Minikin v2 180w. Looks really sleek, especially the new more polished colors like the white and rainbow (dig the oil finishes, very trippy.) Things I like about it are the design, I like the screen more it seems to hold more info on it, upgradeable firmware, the chip in it seems nice, excellent battery life, and it's an American company and not chinese (but I think it's still manufactured in China) so the quality control may be better, although the qc for the battlestar seems the same. Possible cons I guess would be the price increase from the battlestar for not many more features, and possibly less wattage depending on the true values for both of those, the touch screen not being responsive (not sure if it has improved), and a less than ideal Temp control (again I've never used this before so idk if it'll be a big deal, and has the potential to be improved from firmware.)

Other things I've looked at are the Hohm Wrecker G2 (hate the symbols and size of it), Spectrum Kaos (has the cheesiest design I've ever seen, so I'm avoiding), Tesla Nano 120w (lower wattage than I want, don't know if it will limit what I can do with it), Drag box which reminds me of tapout or something which I'm not keen on but the carbon fiber actually looked better than most, and basically everything but I cant think of specifics right now.

tl:dr I'm looking for a powerful at home device under $100, want good reliable build quality, plenty of features or at least the standard, temp control would be nice, stylish (if it has lights at least make them look good, and none of those mods wrapped in stickers like the charon 218w), and Idk what else but I'm not looking for a beater mod, I have my stick v8 for that. Can't really afford DNA chips at my price point, especially at high wattage.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'm also curious if I should wait for any new mods like the minikin reborn, might be riskier and who knows if it will be out in time.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone, been using the stick v8 and loving it but I'm looking for something for my birthday next month that has more potential and will be more fun to mess with and has the build quality to last a decent while. At first I was eyeing things like the Smok alien 220w and really liked the fire bar it has, but as we all know there are many possible issues and to me seems to be too cheaply priced to stand the test of time, maybe I'm wrong. The only cheap mod that seems to be worthwhile seems to be the battlestar, decent design, decent temp control (never used, but it's nice to have the option especially if it works well since most seem to be janky.) I also like how the 510 pin looks like it's applied way more securely than most mods. The only thing that seems to be a downside is the non-upgradeable firmware, and I guess it isn't totally flashy but it does look nice, especially the rainbow and copper. Also hear it's volts min/max at like 3.9, don't know if that's an issue.

The other one I've been recently eyeing is the Asmodus Minikin v2 180w. Looks really sleek, especially the new more polished colors like the white and rainbow (dig the oil finishes, very trippy.) Things I like about it are the design, I like the screen more it seems to hold more info on it, upgradeable firmware, the chip in it seems nice, excellent battery life, and it's an American company and not chinese (but I think it's still manufactured in China) so the quality control may be better, although the qc for the battlestar seems the same. Possible cons I guess would be the price increase from the battlestar for not many more features, and possibly less wattage depending on the true values for both of those, the touch screen not being responsive (not sure if it has improved), and a less than ideal Temp control (again I've never used this before so idk if it'll be a big deal, and has the potential to be improved from firmware.)

Other things I've looked at are the Hohm Wrecker G2 (hate the symbols and size of it), Spectrum Kaos (has the cheesiest design I've ever seen, so I'm avoiding), Tesla Nano 120w (lower wattage than I want, don't know if it will limit what I can do with it), Drag box which reminds me of tapout or something which I'm not keen on but the carbon fiber actually looked better than most, and basically everything but I cant think of specifics right now.

tl:dr I'm looking for a powerful at home device under $100, want good reliable build quality, plenty of features or at least the standard, temp control would be nice, stylish (if it has lights at least make them look good, and none of those mods wrapped in stickers like the charon 218w), and Idk what else but I'm not looking for a beater mod, I have my stick v8 for that. Can't really afford DNA chips at my price point, especially at high wattage.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'm also curious if I should wait for any new mods like the minikin reborn, might be riskier and who knows if it will be out in time.
I have the Reborn, Boost, and Mini Minikin on the way. I already own the Smoant Battlestar and Charon. Since these will be my first Asmodus mods and I don't have them yet I can't intelligently compare them yet. However, that being said I don't think you can go wrong with a Battlestar. IMO it's the best bang for the buck mod on the market right now.

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply, that's what it seems to be. A very reliable mod with great power and a price that would allow me to maybe invest more in extra tanks, coils, and juice. I wish there were more direct comparisons between the two, found like one online but it wasn't very recent I don't think. Hopefully I'm able to hear what you think of the new mods before I have to make a decision.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the reply, that's what it seems to be. A very reliable mod with great power and a price that would allow me to maybe invest more in extra tanks, coils, and juice. I wish there were more direct comparisons between the two, found like one online but it wasn't very recent I don't think. Hopefully I'm able to hear what you think of the new mods before I have to make a decision.
I highly recommend the Battlestar with the Battlestar RTA. Great, flavorful combo. I reviewed them both here:

Battlestar Mod Review
https://vapingunderground.com/threads/smoant-battlestar-mod-review-by-deucesjack.317231/

Battlestar RTA Review
https://vapingunderground.com/threads/smoant-battlestar-rta-review-by-deucesjack.317260/

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
Alright I'll definitely take it into consideration! I don't know if it's in the review, but can I build the coils using the battlestar to read the numbers or do I need one of those stands that do it?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have the Reborn, Boost, and Mini Minikin on the way. I already own the Smoant Battlestar and Charon. Since these will be my first Asmodus mods and I don't have them yet I can't intelligently compare them yet. However, that being said I don't think you can go wrong with a Battlestar. IMO it's the best bang for the buck mod on the market right now.

Looking forward to your review of the Reborn- looks like a much smaller Minikin V1.5 with a touch screen! I have watched a few reviews and looks like this is the next asMODus to add to my collection.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I love my asMODus Minikin v1.5 and the V2 dual battery mods the V2 is very small- These work very well for me and have had no problems with either! I also own a asMODus Silvanusa(stabwood) and am very happy with that device too. asModus is a little more expensive, but nice to know that asMODus is a US company, they are pretty responsive on FB and if I have a problem with my device I can send it for repair or replacement- even if I have to pay a small amount it is worth that option-
Love my V2 in the rainbow, but a fingerprint magnet, watch for possible Memorial Day sales!
I cannot compare the Minikins to the Battlestar as I do not own a Battlestar.

20170522_075413.jpg

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
I love my asMODus Minikin v1.5 and the V2 dual battery mods the V2 is very small- These work very well for me and have had no problems with either! I also own a asMODus Silvanusa(stabwood) and am very happy with that device too. asModus is a little more expensive, but nice to know that asMODus is a US company, they are pretty responsive on FB and if I have a problem with my device I can send it for repair or replacement- even if I have to pay a small amount it is worth that option-
Love my V2 in the rainbow, but a fingerprint magnet, watch for possible Memorial Day sales!
I cannot compare the Minikins to the Battlestar as I do not own a Battlestar.

View attachment 82651

Those shiny v2's look so rad. How's your experience with the touch screen?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Those shiny v2's look so rad. How's your experience with the touch screen?
The touch screen is really easy to use! I have had no problems with the screen- the V2 is one of my favorite mods. I - like you like the metal finishes and not a fan of the rubber coated ones. My purpleV1.5 has that finish and would be afraid of it getting scratched off, but so far after months of use it looks great!
The rainbow,gold,white,pink,blue, raw and the red are the metallic finish on the V2. Looks like they are coming out with a shiny chrome too! If there is a sale at Memorial Day- I wouldn't hesitate on buying another V2 in rainbow as the colors are all different. Mine is mainly blue,pink gold and purple- I would like another in more of the green,blue and gold- wish I could go to the store and pick my own!
The battery life is fantastic- at least 10-12 hours of heavy use! I use the brown LG HG2 18650 batteries and I have an external battery charger( Nitecore). I do not use the usb to charge. The batteries on both the V1.5 and the V2 are a breeze to take in and out with no damage to the wraps like some other mods I have.
I recently won a UWell Crown 3 tank and am hoping they send the Rainbow and I will pair that with the V2- right now I am using the Tobeco Super Tank Mini in rainbow and it is a great match.

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
The touch screen is really easy to use! I have had no problems with the screen- the V2 is one of my favorite mods. I - like you like the metal finishes and not a fan of the rubber coated ones. My purpleV1.5 has that finish and would be afraid of it getting scratched off, but so far after months of use it looks great!
The rainbow,gold,white,pink,blue, raw and the red are the metallic finish on the V2. Looks like they are coming out with a shiny chrome too! If there is a sale at Memorial Day- I wouldn't hesitate on buying another V2 in rainbow as the colors are all different. Mine is mainly blue,pink gold and purple- I would like another in more of the green,blue and gold- wish I could go to the store and pick my own!
The battery life is fantastic- at least 10-12 hours of heavy use! I use the brown LG HG2 18650 batteries and I have an external battery charger( Nitecore). I do not use the usb to charge. The batteries on both the V1.5 and the V2 are a breeze to take in and out with no damage to the wraps like some other mods I have.
I recently won a UWell Crown 3 tank and am hoping they send the Rainbow and I will pair that with the V2- right now I am using the Tobeco Super Tank Mini in rainbow and it is a great match.

That's awesome! and thanks for everyone pointing out to me that memorial day is coming up, I didn't even think of that so whatever I end up getting will be cheaper so that's a huge plus.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Haha- that is for sure! I love saving money! I bought my V2 from EightVape and use the code Reddit12 and get 12% off.They are a great vendor with super fast shipping, and hope they have an even better discount for Memorial Day! They had a 25% off sale on Valentines day with free eliquid, that is when I bought my gold V1.5 for $33.00!
I have had my eye on the Battlestar too- and it does come in a rainbow color Thanks to @SirRichardRear ( enabler, LOL) for the MistHub site and code Reddit15 takes 15% off which makes the Battlestar around $37.00 haha! The Battlestar gets rave reviews and don't think you would make a mistake by choosing either one! I do think that the V2 is still smaller than the Battlestar which is the major plus for me!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I now see the Minikin Reborn is coming soon and same with the Voopoo Alphaone which reminds me of my childhood. The decision has become 10x harder hahah
I got some reviews to check out that may help
Charon

Alien vs Predator Vs Kaos

Tesla Nano 120

Battlestar

I also am working on reviews for the Drag, archon and a few others so feel free to AMA if you have any questions about any other mods

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Haha- that is for sure! I love saving money! I bought my V2 from EightVape and use the code Reddit12 and get 12% off.They are a great vendor with super fast shipping, and hope they have an even better discount for Memorial Day! They had a 25% off sale on Valentines day with free eliquid, that is when I bought my gold V1.5 for $33.00!
I have had my eye on the Battlestar too- and it does come in a rainbow color Thanks to @SirRichardRear ( enabler, LOL) for the MistHub site and code Reddit15 takes 15% off which makes the Battlestar around $37.00 haha! The Battlestar gets rave reviews and don't think you would make a mistake by choosing either one! I do think that the V2 is still smaller than the Battlestar which is the major plus for me!
All hail the battlestar ;)

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
So I think I'm going to get some kinda Asmodus mod but now I gotta decide between the v2, boost, or wait for the reborn. Not sure If I want the touch screen due to it possibly failing after awhile and the boost has a nice price cut at the cost of power, but the touch screens will probably have a better firmware and a more updated firmware and has more power and a bigger screen. decisions decisions.

DaleH1985

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I love the Koopor Plus. Dual battery, 200 watt, temp control, and built like a tank. Mine has taken a beating and never a single issue with it. I had an ijoy maxo and ended up selling it and keeping my koopor. It is my go to mod.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They hold big RTA's.....
790ff262046424ed47eaff39d68ed9c7.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I think I'm going to get some kinda Asmodus mod but now I gotta decide between the v2, boost, or wait for the reborn. Not sure If I want the touch screen due to it possibly failing after awhile and the boost has a nice price cut at the cost of power, but the touch screens will probably have a better firmware and a more updated firmware and has more power and a bigger screen. decisions decisions.
Just got the Boost and Reborn today. So far, very impressed with both.
4878f9cfe1d48c2eaaae5b2262c0f64d.jpg
05d5227f283f87d9dc45d2029988c9c1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
Btw, does anyone have a preferance between the ammit dual coil or the pharaoh? I'm leaning towards the pharaoh because the ammit has that stupid gold ring on top and a noisy air intake but would like some first hand opinions. watched a bunch of reviews but im incredibly indecisive.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Btw, does anyone have a preferance between the ammit dual coil or the pharaoh? I'm leaning towards the pharaoh because the ammit has that stupid gold ring on top and a noisy air intake but would like some first hand opinions. watched a bunch of reviews but im incredibly indecisive.
I'd take the exo rta personally. it's still my fav. DOn't have an ammit dual coil. have the pharaoh, it's flavor is awesome but it's wicking is finnicky and it has it's draw backs

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Those are so sexy. I think I'm gonna have to settle on the V2 due to time constraints and no release date yet for the reborn. Can't decide on the color, but probably the rainbow one. hopefully tanks look decent with that color.

Love my Rainbow V2- but it really is a finger print magnet- always needs polishing! Love the coloring, so it is worth it!

ScottBroChill

Member For 4 Years
I'd take the exo rta personally. it's still my fav. DOn't have an ammit dual coil. have the pharaoh, it's flavor is awesome but it's wicking is finnicky and it has it's draw backs
Yeah I've been using your reviews and excel files to get a good idea of whats good and not, and the exo almost seems perfect but it has a couple things that bug me. The top airflow only is one, but it seems to make the thing leak proof which is baller. The look of it isn't my favorite but hey function over form i guess. And the size of that badboy would overhang on the minikin v2, which would probably be barely visible but since I'm only going to have like 1 tank for awhile I'd rather have something fit a little better. I have the big baby with m2 coils but don't feel like buying more at the moment.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah I've been using your reviews and excel files to get a good idea of whats good and not, and the exo almost seems perfect but it has a couple things that bug me. The top airflow only is one, but it seems to make the thing leak proof which is baller. The look of it isn't my favorite but hey function over form i guess. And the size of that badboy would overhang on the minikin v2, which would probably be barely visible but since I'm only going to have like 1 tank for awhile I'd rather have something fit a little better. I have the big baby with m2 coils but don't feel like buying more at the moment.
Could always grab a supreme or boreas :) and thanks that's awesome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Have both and I think Supreme edges out the Boreas but both are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed :) but the boreas is super cheap now. Usually around 16 bucks if they wanted to save a bit. The supreme runs around 30 usually

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I paid less than $5 for my Supremes. Remember that sale? Lol.

Lmao man that was epic. I had so many Supremes. Funny enough not a single one left for those. I just have my coffee LE and gold LE ones left

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lmao man that was epic. I had so many Supremes. Funny enough not a single one left for those. I just have my coffee LE and gold LE ones left

Then they fucked up the orders so if you were part of the fuck up you got double the amount of Supremes. Lmfao. That cut you cost basis in half.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Then they fucked up the orders so if you were part of the fuck up you got double the amount of Supremes. Lmfao. That cut you cost basis in half.

Yup. I wound up with 11 4ml and 11 7ml versions I paid like under 90 bucks for it all

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Lol, I ordered 5 of each. I got 5 extra because of the fuck up. So 15 total for like $45. Lmao.

Was a good day indeed lol wonder what will be the killer sale this year. Let's not forget the 10 dollar coolfires as well

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Dude, I wish I could just afford the navigator bx, that thing looks ridiculously cool. Love that steering wheel
It is pretty nice. It'll drop to 30 buck eventually just like the windforce rta did

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, that was quite a while ago. It was Yeti Vape if I remember correctly.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Cool bud, thanks for sharing. I checked them out and it's an awesome site! Not many American sites offer free international shipping, so really glad to have come by this.

Much appreciated!

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
I got some reviews to check out that may help
Charon

Alien vs Predator Vs Kaos

Tesla Nano 120

Battlestar

I also am working on reviews for the Drag, archon and a few others so feel free to AMA if you have any questions about any other mods

@SirRichardRear, sorry if I'm reviving an old thread but I really wanted to thank you for the great review of the Tesla Steampunk. It covered what I needed to know. I'm new to vaping, just have a couple Smok V8 sticks with the Big baby's and I love them but saw this mod and decided I really wanted it.
In your opinion would this be a good starting mod for a newbie moving from a stick?
Thank you,
Flave

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear, sorry if I'm reviving an old thread but I really wanted to thank you for the great review of the Tesla Steampunk. It covered what I needed to know. I'm new to vaping, just have a couple Smok V8 sticks with the Big baby's and I love them but saw this mod and decided I really wanted it.
In your opinion would this be a good starting mod for a newbie moving from a stick?
Thank you,
Flave
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them. And yeah it would make a great first mod for sure

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you,
Flave
Its a heavy mod, with a tank and batteries it's 400g, that personally is a major con !

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Its a heavy mod, with a tank and batteries it's 400g, that personally is a major con !
@Rixsta yes! I've had it a week now, it was my first box mod moving from the stick V8 and I honestly only use it in the evening it's sitting by the couch. It's so heavy and I have noticed that I could really care less about wattage and such.
I've decided to move to a mech tube. I really like tubes and I'm learning to build my own coils. But I'll probably keep the Steam punk, it looks nice in my cabinet and I don't have anyone to give it too, lol.
Hunt

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Rixsta yes! I've had it a week now, it was my first box mod moving from the stick V8 and I honestly only use it in the evening it's sitting by the couch. It's so heavy and I have noticed that I could really care less about wattage and such.
I've decided to move to a mech tube. I really like tubes and I'm learning to build my own coils. But I'll probably keep the Steam punk, it looks nice in my cabinet and I don't have anyone to give it too, lol.
Hunt
Enjoy the journey, Hunt and vape on.

VU Sponsors