Become a Patron!

Dual coil RBA question

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Limitless XL & was trying to use the dual coil set up. It wasn't giving much flavor despite his cloud production. So, I decided to clean the could, rewick, & try again. Only, when I set fired I noticed that one coil glowed much quicker than the other. It's this normal? Since I don't know enough about all this to feel comfortable, I have put it away until I figure out why this is. I did not build these coils, they came stock, fused Claptons I believe tested at 0.25ohms, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Limitless XL & was trying to use the dual coil set up. It wasn't giving much flavor despite his cloud production. So, I decided to clean the could, rewick, & try again. Only, when I set fired I noticed that one coil glowed much quicker than the other. It's this normal? Since I don't know enough about all this to feel comfortable, I have put it away until I figure out why this is. I did not build these coils, they came stock, fused Claptons I believe tested at 0.25ohms, if I remember correctly.

There are a few different factors that I've run across when dealing with this happening. Granted, I don't have a Limited XL, but there are common factors that can cause this across the board with rebuildables. Differences in leg length can cause one Coil to glow faster than the other...that's the most obvious issue to determine, though, so you probably would've figured that out on your own...also making sure all the legs are clamped down with equal force helps with getting coils to glow evenly. More than likely there's a hotspot you haven't detected. With fused claptons, sometimes these little suckers can hide pretty well. Inspect the Coil that is heating up faster at all angles (from the top, looking underneath, and the hardest to detect culprit is on the inside of the Coil) going to a dark area and pulse firing the coils is the best way to hunt down hot spots you may have missed. One other thing that I'm almost embarrassed to bring up because it was something I didn't think of until way later in my building knowledge was that manipulating one Coil and then firing it will cause that Coil to seem to take longer than the other to heat up, but that's only due to the different temps of the coils at the time of firing...if you insert a screwdriver in one and wiggle it around and then immediately hit the button, the one you were tinkering with will go at an ants pace compared to the other...give them time to cool and rest until they are at the same temp before firing and getting frustrated (which compounds this particular issue). There are other issues that could be at play, but most of those involve the particulars of how the Coil was built and out of what and things like that, and since they were prebuilt, there'd be no way troubleshoot those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AshleyGreene

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't own the Limitless but on my Pharoah RTA's velocity-style deck, I find that slightly loosening the screws of the quicker burning coil (or tightening the slower burning one) generally resolves this issue. Pinching and strumming the coils also helps them burn evenly :)

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Normally a sign the coils are equal in some way current will always take the oath of least resistence where possible this is what you are witnessing

More length in one than the other (legs)

Eradicate hot spots by strumming the coils during dry burn (pulse them don't ever get them white hot) you'll see hotspot long before the coil glows orange

Pinching coils with ceramic tweazers during pulsing helps sometimes

Getting a screwdriver or coil jig to manipulate the coil is sometimes needed (don't fire them when doing this)

Make sure screws are tight ...when you heat they loosen this is often the number one cause of uneven heating (poor contact on the legs)

How close the coils are to the posts one might be positioned further out than the other. Look side on they should be balanced and evenly spaced

If you space the wraps in the coil try to match the spacing both side equally

A lose negative or positive screw under the atty can cause uneven firing just inspect around the atty make sure everything is securely tightened no need to go gorilla on it though

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty sure it's a velocity style deck, two posts with 2 holes per post? Are your coil legs offset in the holes of the posts? In other words, the first coil you inserted, is one leg in the top hole and the other leg in the bottom hole of the opposite post? Same for the other coil?

I had a brain fart first time I put coils on my avocado, I put one coil in the top holes (both legs in both top holes) and the other coil I fed into both bottom holes. The coil mounted in both bottom holes kept getting hotter faster until I realized it was getting the power first. Alternating the legs of the coils, 1 top and 1 bottom and vice versa with the other coil means their leg length and post length evens out for even firing.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Pretty sure it's a velocity style deck, two posts with 2 holes per post? Are your coil legs offset in the holes of the posts? In other words, the first coil you inserted, is one leg in the top hole and the other leg in the bottom hole of the opposite post? Same for the other coil?

I had a brain fart first time I put coils on my avocado, I put one coil in the top holes (both legs in both top holes) and the other coil I fed into both bottom holes. The coil mounted in both bottom holes kept getting hotter faster until I realized it was getting the power first. Alternating the legs of the coils, 1 top and 1 bottom and vice versa with the other coil means their leg length and post length evens out for even firing.

Yes good one always the obvious stuff you miss forgot about that check good catch Syn!

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you, everyone, for all the info. I will be taking all this into account as soon as I can get to working on the deck again. I ordered some ceramic tweezers tonight. It is not a velocity style deck, but the legs may be unevenly seated or just not equal lengths. I need the most basic of suggestions as I'm extremely new to all of this, so thank you for that. After I'm able to get to it again I'll post an update.

Wait you say its not velocity style? The only decks i can find for mine are velocity the 2 dual coil decks and a single where did you get yours i am interested in a different deck but i have the limitless xl and for some reason it is a learning curve of its own trial and error i had the same problem and all i can say is keep playong with it cuz once you get it its a great setup i love it i even busted the glass in mine and the way the chimney is setup you can also use it as a dripper i havent even worried about the glass im chucking huge flavorful clouds without it

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine from a B&M shop semi close to my house. I would rather it be velocity style, though. I think that stacking the leads might be causing some of my issues. I still haven't played with it again yet, though.

VU Sponsors