Become a Patron!

dual vs single coil

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In what atomizer?
Basically lower ohms and more surface area.
Personally I prefer single coil with multiple wires.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Big atties like that pretty much require big singles or multi coil builds.

Have you tried comparing some builds with aid of a calculator like steam-engine. Might help find what will work for you.

Zombie13

Member For 4 Years
Im just curious what people's opinions are i like dual coil. currently I'm rocking a pretty nice dual 4rap dragon skin in the tsunami at around 70 watt .17ohms and it's kinda bad ass not to patt myself on the back or anything lol I'm pretty happy how the wire came out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im just curious what people's opinions are i like dual coil. currently I'm rocking a pretty nice dual 4rap dragon skin in the tsunami at around 70 watt .17ohms and it's kinda bad ass not to patt myself on the back or anything lol I'm pretty happy how the wire came out.

Need too much power.......take 2x longer to build....... that's my feeling about duals.

Imo if you need more than 30 watts to get great flavor...... patting ones back is premature. 30 watts plus is great for producing juice flavored vapor..... me I hate the taste of EJuice.. I just want flavored vapor. Without tasting juice.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What if any are the perks of dual vs single coil builds?
This is a huge discussion that this thread cannot possibly answer what you asked a loaded question that comes with more variables than is easily quantified. some of the best flavor I have had is a low wattage with dual mirco coils at a .8 ohms but then I methodically have built from .05 up sanother variable is the juice, the RDA, The tank, The coil type its all over if you see my point there are so many variables

Zombie13

Member For 4 Years
This is a huge discussion that this thread cannot possibly answer what you asked a loaded question that comes with more variables than is easily quantified. some of the best flavor I have had is a low wattage with dual mirco coils at a .8 ohms but then I methodically have built from .05 up sanother variable is the juice, the RDA, The tank, The coil type its all over if you see my point there are so many variables

I knew it wouldn't be an easy topic what in life is easy, and I never said I wasn't an asshole lmfao but im getting the info I am looking for people's opinions say alot and it's been making alot of light bulbs go off for me. I know this is a very broad topic it's still very informative and that's all I'm looking for so thank you all

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I knew it wouldn't be an easy topic what in life is easy, and I never said I wasn't an asshole lmfao but im getting the info I am looking for people's opinions say alot and it's been making alot of light bulbs go off for me. I know this is a very broad topic it's still very informative and that's all I'm looking for so thank you all
I guess what we are saying it easier to answer to what might be wrong with a build. Fact is the best build is an infinite answer. Even dual vs single. For me it comes down to deck space. If the single coil I want is too big. Duals might be better. 2 smaller coils vs 1 big coil..... but even then I look to twisted or parallel single first.

Zombie13

Member For 4 Years
I guess what we are saying it easier to answer to what might be wrong with a build. Fact is the best build is an infinite answer. Even dual vs single. For me it comes down to deck space. If the single coil I want is too big. Duals might be better. 2 smaller coils vs 1 big coil..... but even then I look to twisted or parallel single first.

I def understand that I'm the kinda guy that thinks bigger is better and can't figure out where all my battery life and juice go so I've def had a couple oh yeah duh moments reading these my forehead is getting a little sore lol

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I def understand that I'm the kinda guy that thinks bigger is better and can't figure out where all my battery life and juice go so I've def had a couple oh yeah duh moments reading these my forehead is getting a little sore lol
There is not right answer just enjoy the journey experiment try some different ohm builds different RDA's etc tanks are all over what you find great may suck ass to me..
See Im kinda crazy when I vape I like a juicy weird wet vape and do not care how large the cloud is but it took me years to get to this point you would probably vape on my setup and it would be like gagging a chicken :)

wooten

Member For 3 Years
The most common answer to any of this kinds of questions in vaping world (and any other) would be: it depends. And this is the answer I will stick to ;)

More serious: most crucial factor is the gear you're building on and the mod you're be using (regulated devices won't fire below certain resistane and above other or will deliver limited power on higher resistance coils due to low voltage output). But throwing that issue away and speaking just for myself and my preferences: I prefer dual coils in atomisers that provide possibilty of that kind of builds. So in most RDA's and subohm tanks I'd make a dual and in Kayfun type tanks I will enjoy a single coild just as much :) This is what I like.
So when comes to advantages and disadvantages of single, dual, tri, quatro, penta, hexa, septa, octa etc. coils... You just need to try them and find out what is best for you. (IMO: most people don't need more than two coils ;) mayby excluding stock builds in coils for SMOK TFV8 type tanks)

Hope my answer will at least slightly satisfy your statistician's curiosity :) Cheers!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Need too much power.......take 2x longer to build....... that's my feeling about duals.

Imo if you need more than 30 watts to get great flavor...... patting ones back is premature. 30 watts plus is great for producing juice flavored vapor..... me I hate the taste of EJuice.. I just want flavored vapor. Without tasting juice.

You want cloud builds then. :) Me too, since I can't blow a ring to save my life. LOL

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Generally, I prefer a pair of single core claptons for my flavor builds, though I might fancy them up if i am bored and want to play. Now, clouds are a different matter. I never use dual coils for clouds, I use quad builds. Usually dual, parallel coils, since they ramp up faster and fire more evenly than a single coil. So really, it is all in what you are going for.
Now for me, a dual core clapton is as fancy as I need to go for flavor. With wicking and core id and the shape of my atomizer and drip tip, etc, I can get some pretty kick ass flavor from just a basic coil.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You want cloud builds then. :) Me too, since I can't blow a ring to save my life. LOL
No I build for nicotine delivery, hit feel and battery life. I build for good flavor not more flavor... since most of my juice is 60 to 80% PG when I do want more cloud I just bump up the VG a bit.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The most common answer to any of this kinds of questions in vaping world (and any other) would be: it depends. And this is the answer I will stick to ;)

More serious: most crucial factor is the gear you're building on and the mod you're be using (regulated devices won't fire below certain resistane and above other or will deliver limited power on higher resistance coils due to low voltage output).

So when comes to advantages and disadvantages of single, dual, tri, quatro, penta, hexa, septa, octa etc. coils... You just need to try them and find out what is best for you. (IMO: most people don't need more than two coils ;) mayby excluding stock builds in coils for SMOK TFV8 type tanks)

Hope my answer will at least slightly satisfy your statistician's curiosity :) Cheers!

This is where knowing how to build and ohms law and your voltage formula comes into effect. Generally, I use 2 parallel coils to avoid the issue with the controllers voltage output. V*V / Resistance =Watts. Parallel coils cut the resistance and let me pull the full power from my box.

A well built quad coil will ramp up faster than the same mass dual coil build. Basically each "side" fires 2 shorter coils vs 1 longer. You can't really say what "most people" need or don't need, builds vary according to the atomizer and mod being used. For example, My tank has a single 3ply parallel coil. Why? Tiny RBA Mini, using 32ga stainless steel. 18 wraps would put me over 5 ohm, so it wouldn't fire. 6 wraps, of the 3 strand paralled (same 18 wraps) comes in around 0.58 ohm, so fires just fine. Build according to the results you expect to achieve, you should know what a coil is going to do before you even unwind the wire from the spool. Steam-engine is great for that. I know what the resistance and mass will be and how much power I will need to push the coil, before even touching the spool.

Now, personally, I like a good flavor build with lots of cloud. I find, for me, a single core clapton works well, a quad clapton build does this quite nicely, and allows me to get 4 wick ends per side drawing juice. Like I said, knowing what you expect the coil to do and build to that. The way to know, is asking until you get it figured out for yourself. Of course, some people are just happy to stick to one build, and that's fine. I like a bit of variety. Some coils I build for clouds, some I build for flavor and cloud, and some I build for "biting into a ripe peach and juice running down your chin, flavor."

I think the original question was "what is the difference" and not "what is best". What is best, is what you like best, the difference is how you get it.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
No I build for nicotine delivery, hit feel and battery life. I build for good flavor not more flavor... since most of my juice is 60 to 80% PG when I do want more cloud I just bump up the VG a bit.

That's a cloud build. It isn't the amount of cloud, it is the actual amount of vapor produced. (for example, 6 wraps of 24ga kanthal, is a cloud build. So is 8 wraps, and so is 10 wraps.. but they all use single strand, non-clapton wire) Cloud builds produce more vapor and deliver more nicotine. And of course, cloud builds vary. And of course, I can't tell you how to build for good flavor, that is what you personally like. You may find good flavor is a single wrap coil, others might like a single core clapton, and others might like 3 core tiger coils.. Nobody is going to be the same on that one.

Just for fun, later on today, I think I'll do an RDA build that I can use low wattage, drip 1ml ejuice and vape for an hour or so. Just for fun. LOL..

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a cloud build. It isn't the amount of cloud, it is the actual amount of vapor produced. (for example, 6 wraps of 24ga kanthal, is a cloud build. So is 8 wraps, and so is 10 wraps.. but they all use single strand, non-clapton wire) Cloud builds produce more vapor and deliver more nicotine. And of course, cloud builds vary. And of course, I can't tell you how to build for good flavor, that is what you personally like. You may find good flavor is a single wrap coil, others might like a single core clapton, and others might like 3 core tiger coils.. Nobody is going to be the same on that one.

Just for fun, later on today, I think I'll do an RDA build that I can use low wattage, drip 1ml ejuice and vape for an hour or so. Just for fun. LOL..
By this logic all builds are cloud builds. Doesn't matter I never really got the arguement anyway. Clouds being the main byproduct of juice vaporization.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll weigh in here with the clarification that what follows is my opinion. I have no divine knowledge of vaping. I just know what works best for me. First off, I'm a Flavor Chaser. Yes I like clouds but to be honest for me, what good is a cloud if there is no flavor. So far on my vape journey I tend to favor single coil tanks. I just get more flavor and its more intense. I find with a single coil RTA I taste a lot of the little flavors or nuances in my juice that I just don't get with most dual coil setups. I also find a single coil setup to be much more efficient. I get a great vape and at the same time I'm basically using half the wattage, half the coils, half the cotton, and half the juice. I'm just of the opinion that you really don't need these monster tanks at insane wattages to get a satisfying vape. That may change in the future but right now that's how I feel.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

JESalo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is a personal preference topic.

IMO, I prefer single coils over dual.
You can get great flavour, using less power, longer battery life, less e juice consumption, less materials to build.
I'm a low power vaper (20-40W), and build using a Subtank mini RBA and an Ammit RTA.
I've tried dual coil RTAs (Griffin & Gemini) before, and they just gussle up double the juice, double the battery. Yes, they gave me more clouds, but i can't say they gave me double vape satisfaction.

Then again, that is what I prefer and how I like to vape.

Just my 2 cents.

Zombie13

Member For 4 Years
This is a personal preference topic.

IMO, I prefer single coils over dual.
You can get great flavour, using less power, longer battery life, less e juice consumption, less materials to build.
I'm a low power vaper (20-40W), and build using a Subtank mini RBA and an Ammit RTA.
I've tried dual coil RTAs (Griffin & Gemini) before, and they just gussle up double the juice, double the battery. Yes, they gave me more clouds, but i can't say they gave me double vape satisfaction.

Then again, that is what I prefer and how I like to vape.

Just my 2 cents.
I like 2 cents that why I asked this question thanks for your opinion

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll weigh in here with the clarification that what follows is my opinion. I have no divine knowledge of vaping. I just know what works best for me. First off, I'm a Flavor Chaser. Yes I like clouds but to be honest for me, what good is a cloud if there is no flavor. So far on my vape journey I tend to favor single coil tanks. I just get more flavor and its more intense. I find with a single coil RTA I taste a lot of the little flavors or nuances in my juice that I just don't get with most dual coil setups. I also find a single coil setup to be much more efficient. I get a great vape and at the same time I'm basically using half the wattage, half the coils, half the cotton, and half the juice. I'm just of the opinion that you really don't need these monster tanks at insane wattages to get a satisfying vape. That may change in the future but right now that's how I feel.

My opinion is the same here. I am really preferring single coil tanks over dual, for all the same reasons as said already.

JESalo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
JESalo...how are you liking the Ammit? It is on my short list

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like it. You don't need much power to get a flavourful vape. Building is easy on this deck. I use 50/50 juice, so I've had no wicking / dry hit issues (I've read somewhere around the forum that it doesn't keep up when using thick juices; can't really tell you about that).

I've only found one con, and that is when using dark e juices (vanilla and tobaccos). A very dark ring of e juice forms at the bottom, between the bell and the glass (right where the juice flow control slots are). It hasn't happened with clear juices, only with the ones mentioned. I say it's a con because it affects the flavour once this ring appears.

Other than that, it's a great and cheap RTA.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I really like it. You don't need much power to get a flavourful vape. Building is easy on this deck. I use 50/50 juice, so I've had no wicking / dry hit issues (I've read somewhere around the forum that it doesn't keep up when using thick juices; can't really tell you about that).

I've only found one con, and that is when using dark e juices (vanilla and tobaccos). A very dark ring of e juice forms at the bottom, between the bell and the glass (right where the juice flow control slots are). It hasn't happened with clear juices, only with the ones mentioned. I say it's a con because it affects the flavour once this ring appears.

Other than that, it's a great and cheap RTA.
I'm running 20/80 and "max vg" in my ammit --- no issues.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
What if any are the perks of dual vs single coil builds?
basically
single coil = better battery life (less watts needed), less juice consumption, less vapor production (aka less flavor and nicotine)
Dual coil = Worse battery life (more watts needed), more juice consumption, more vapor production (aka more flavor and nicotine)

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
JESalo...how are you liking the Ammit? It is on my short list

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ammit is probably pretty good. geekvape makes solid products for sure.
also anything deuces jack recommends is probably pretty good as well
for single coil tanks i really like the alpha one. the large capacity on it is really helpfull
here is my review on it http://vapingunderground.com/threads/anthony-vapes-alpha-one-review-from-ohmega.298756/
also the new ijoy EXO RTA looks good. has single coil and dual coil options and 2ml or 6ml options for capacity.

VU Sponsors