Become a Patron!

Dumb Dumb question (little shame here)

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys.

As i've mentioned before im starting in the vape with good mods and stuf.

I have a Vaporesso that comes with the NRG tank and use their fabricated cores. It all sub-ohm. Ok...

In actually, i use the NRG as spare, to put another juice and change during the day when im bored with the one im using in the, lets say, my standard day use tank - the Zeus Dual.

My question is: with this stuff - Vaporesso Revenger + Zeus Dual i can only sub ohm? Or i can put a coil to give me, i don't know... 1,5 ohm, and vape it in small wattage?

My dumb question is: my gear is just for sub ohm or i can use it with above ohm?

Thanks community.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi guys.

As i've mentioned before im starting in the vape with good mods and stuf.

I have a Vaporesso that comes with the NRG tank and use their fabricated cores. It all sub-ohm. Ok...

In actually, i use the NRG as spare, to put another juice and change during the day when im bored with the one im using in the, lets say, my standard day use tank - the Zeus Dual.

My question is: with this stuff - Vaporesso Revenger + Zeus Dual i can only sub ohm? Or i can put a coil to give me, i don't know... 1,5 ohm, and vape it in small wattage?

My dumb question is: my gear is just for sub ohm or i can use it with above ohm?

Thanks community.
1.5ohm should be fine. But you want to be sure to check the manufacturers resistance range.
https://www.vaporesso.com/kits-revenger-kit-vaporesso
  • Resistance Range: 0.05-5.0Ω

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TECHNICALLY you can run any ohm in a tank you want.. as only the mod is limited resistance wise... if your mod could put out the voltage you could build 2ohm coil that perform exactly like a .2ohm one. Even at the same wattage. Deference being voltage needed and coil materials used.

FWIW ohm alone is a bad measure for power or vape quality unless using a mech. .. it's only REAL purpose is determining wattage of a mech or voltage needed to provide a specific wattage or Temp in s regulated mod....

That said..... we have been taught and the industry caters to an idea that low ohm mean more power and warmer vapor

Steam-engine.org is a good tool for modeling coil build ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
FWIW ohm alone is a bad measure for power or vape quality unless using a mech. .. it's only REAL purpose is determining wattage of a mech or voltage needed to provide a specific wattage or Temp in s regulated mod....

Would lower resistance coils also tend to drain the battery more quickly due to drawing more current? IOW, a 0.5 ohm coil and a 0.2 ohm coil could be run at the same wattage, but the 0.2 ohm coil draws ~60% more amperage. Given that most batteries I've seen are rated for a particular number of milliamp hours, that would make sense to me. Conversely, you have to make sure the battery can swing the requisite voltage for the higher ohm coil.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
...Conversely, you have to make sure the battery can swing the requisite voltage for the higher ohm coil.

On a regulated mod, the voltage is automatically controlled by your wattage settings. That is one of the functions of the chip inside.

You need to worry more about the current or CDR as in AMP draw that YOU put on the battery (as per your build or pre-made coil, and wattage settings), and that is why we use high-drain batteries.

For example, with a 20a battery like an LG HG2, and a 0.5 Ohm build, if you set your mod to 90w, you are dangerously close to the max thermal rating of that cell, and not only will it not give you lots of vaping time and drain pretty fast, but you can also permanently damage the battery chemistry, which can lead to thermal runaway and venting.

This staying within the amp limit or CDR (constant discharge rate) of your specific battery is even more critical on a mech mod.

Steam Engine has a calculator here that can help with knowing your amp drain and output of the specific battery:

http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.html

Also, Mooch has battery ratings here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/moochs-recommended-batteries.7593/#subs

battery tests here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/#subs

and Mooch also has a whole series of videos to educate you on how to properly use batteries, called "Minding Your mAhs" here, which should be required for all vapers (unless you want to have a battery explode in your hand and burn your face):

more video episodes in this series are here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q/videos

Hope this helps!

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
That's about what I figured. I'm new to the vaping scene, but familiar enough with Ohms Law, current flow, etc. due to my other hobbies. I noticed the significant difference in battery life when I switched (very) recently from a 0.5 ohm coil I ran at 45W to a 0.18 ohm coil running at 55W. When I thought about the amperage involved and the battery's (built in) mAh rating, it made more sense. Haven't blown anything up at least :D

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
On a regulated mod, the voltage is automatically controlled by your wattage settings. That is one of the functions of the chip inside.

You need to worry more about the current or CDR as in AMP draw that YOU put on the battery (as per your build or pre-made coil, and wattage settings), and that is why we use high-drain batteries.

For example, with a 20a battery like an LG HG2, and a 0.5 Ohm build, if you set your mod to 90w, you are dangerously close to the max thermal rating of that cell, and not only will it not give you lots of vaping time and drain pretty fast, but you can also permanently damage the battery chemistry, which can lead to thermal runaway and venting.

This staying within the amp limit or CDR (constant discharge rate) of your specific battery is even more critical on a mech mod.

Steam Engine has a calculator here that can help with knowing your amp drain and output of the specific battery:

http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.html

Also, Mooch has battery ratings here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/moochs-recommended-batteries.7593/#subs

battery tests here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/#subs

and Mooch also has a whole series of videos to educate you on how to properly use batteries, called "Minding Your mAhs" here, which should be required for all vapers (unless you want to have a battery explode in your hand and burn your face):

more video episodes in this series are here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q/videos

Hope this helps!

0.5 ohms at 90 watts is only about 13 amps - well under the discharge rating of that battery

Thermal rating is not really a thing, here - there is a limit to how hot batteries can get without being damaged - thermal is temperature, and any functional battery with a 20 amp continuous discharge rating should not get even warm at 13 amps

The Mooch links are a great contribution here, though, and spot on that 90 watts with one battery won't last long at all - maybe 5 puffs, before the mod starts to cut voltage way down

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would lower resistance coils also tend to drain the battery more quickly due to drawing more current? IOW, a 0.5 ohm coil and a 0.2 ohm coil could be run at the same wattage, but the 0.2 ohm coil draws ~60% more amperage. Given that most batteries I've seen are rated for a particular number of milliamp hours, that would make sense to me. Conversely, you have to make sure the battery can swing the requisite voltage for the higher ohm coil.

I've always thought this is true, but I dunno for sure, maybe not? I do know that my 30Q batteries, which are 3000mAh, last me almost 3 full days when I use them in a Minibook, at my usual settings of close to 2 ohm coils, and 9.6w... however the identical battery, with identical settings, lasts only a full day and a bit extra in my Aegis... and I have no earthly idea why.

Andria

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
however the identical battery, with identical settings, lasts only a full day and a bit extra in my Aegis... and I have no earthly idea why.

Have you swapped the batteries to isolate that as an issue? Obviously as they age, the ability to store a charge tends to degrade, but it's not a consistent thing from unit to unit.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you swapped the batteries to isolate that as an issue? Obviously as they age, the ability to store a charge tends to degrade, but it's not a consistent thing from unit to unit.

Yeah, I do have 2 sets of 30Q's, and one set is a little older... but any of the batteries, from either set, are the same; a bit over a full day in the Aegis, versus nearly 3 full days in the Minibooks. It's weird as hell. Basically it's gonna force me to buy some 26650s for this thing, if i wanna have anything like the battery life that I get from other mods. I really like this Aegis, so I probably will.

Andria

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I do have 2 sets of 30Q's, and one set is a little older... but any of the batteries, from either set, are the same; a bit over a full day in the Aegis, versus nearly 3 full days in the Minibooks. It's weird as hell. Basically it's gonna force me to buy some 26650s for this thing, if i wanna have anything like the battery life that I get from other mods. I really like this Aegis, so I probably will.

I have one odd idea, but you'd have to take an Aegis apart to verify... It's possible that it contains a resistor connected in parallel with the coil, which would cut the load resistance, and draw more current. I don't know why they would do this, but perhaps it somehow improves compatibility with higher ohm/lower powered coils.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have one odd idea, but you'd have to take an Aegis apart to verify... It's possible that it contains a resistor connected in parallel with the coil, which would cut the load resistance, and draw more current. I don't know why they would do this, but perhaps it somehow improves compatibility with higher ohm/lower powered coils.

I'd much rather buy some 26650s than destroy my Aegis!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
More thinking out loud (or on a keyboard) about possible reasons for your experience than expecting you to take gear apart :)

Well, since I don't mind high-resistance coils... (more thinking out loud) Maybe I could try a 3 ohm coil and see if that actually gives me any better battery life. At the very least, it might answer my question of whether higher resistance does spare battery life, in a regulated mod. I've still got some 30ga around here somewhere. :D Betweem the Aegis' fast response and the quick response of 30ga wire.. woohoo! :giggle:

Andria

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
Well, since I don't mind high-resistance coils... (more thinking out loud) Maybe I could try a 3 ohm coil and see if that actually gives me any better battery life. At the very least, it might answer my question of whether higher resistance does spare battery life, in a regulated mod. I've still got some 30ga around here somewhere. :D Betweem the Aegis' fast response and the quick response of 30ga wire.. woohoo! :giggle:

Andria

If it's doing what I think it's doing, moving to 3 ohms may have the opposite effect. Here's the science of it (assuming I am correct in my guess):

Say the Aegis wants to maintain a minimum of 1 ohm load resistance. With a 2 ohm coil, it sets a resistor bank in parallel with the coil to have a 2 ohm value, and the power is split evenly. With a 3 ohm coil, it will set the resistor bank to 1.5 ohms to maintain a 1 ohm load. Because of the 3 ohm to 1.5 ohm relationship, proportionately more current (and thus power) will flow through the 1.5 ohm side, and the 3 ohm side would correspondingly see power reduced.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If it's doing what I think it's doing, moving to 3 ohms may have the opposite effect. Here's the science of it (assuming I am correct in my guess):

Say the Aegis wants to maintain a minimum of 1 ohm load resistance. With a 2 ohm coil, it sets a resistor bank in parallel with the coil to have a 2 ohm value, and the power is split evenly. With a 3 ohm coil, it will set the resistor bank to 1.5 ohms to maintain a 1 ohm load. Because of the 3 ohm to 1.5 ohm relationship, proportionately more current (and thus power) will flow through the 1.5 ohm side, and the 3 ohm side would correspondingly see power reduced.

Well, that gave me crossed eyes. :D But my son is studying electronics to be an EE, so I got him to explain it in a way that I can (kind of) understand -- it's still way more math than I can deal with, but my major question is this: if I used a 1ohm coil, would I get BETTEr battery life? I'm not sure it would be an enjoyable vape; I'm so used to making it a certain way, a certain size, with 29ga wire... but it does make me curious.

Andria

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
It's possible. If the system really is dumping some power into a parallel circuit, then it's just being wasted. If reducing the resistance of your coil reduces/eliminates that, then you should see some benefit. Key word of course is "if".

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's possible. If the system really is dumping some power into a parallel circuit, then it's just being wasted. If reducing the resistance of your coil reduces/eliminates that, then you should see some benefit. Key word of course is "if".

Just for shits n giggles, I might try it someday. But I probably will get some 26650s, because I just like the feel of the mod in my hand, and though it's subtle, I think I do like the faster response -- though with 29ga wire, it's never exactly slow -- that's why I've always preferred 29ga to 28ga.

Andria

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just for shits n giggles, I might try it someday. But I probably will get some 26650s, because I just like the feel of the mod in my hand, and though it's subtle, I think I do like the faster response -- though with 29ga wire, it's never exactly slow -- that's why I've always preferred 29ga to 28ga.

Andria
26650 batteries will not fit the Aegis... 26650s are 26mm across and 650mm long. Big batteries! And "almost" obsolete. There are only a handful of regulated mods that have ever taken 26650 batteries. Most regulated mods take 18650s (18mm across and 650mm long) and recently 20700s and 21700s. This is unless I misunderstood, and you have a 26650 mod other than the Aegis, and I just missed it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
0.5 ohms at 90 watts is only about 13 amps - well under the discharge rating of that battery...
Thanks for the heads-up. I was going on no sleep when I wrote that message.

You are correct, I should have said 0.2 Ohms which is 21a, and thus beyond the 20a CDR (as per Mooch) and would offer ~88w direct from the battery, but with Vsag and Vdrop will yield ~68w on a freshly charged LG HG2.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
26650 batteries will not fit the Aegis... 26650s are 26mm across and 650mm long. Big batteries! And "almost" obsolete. There are only a handful of regulated mods that have ever taken 26650 batteries. Most regulated mods take 18650s (18mm across and 650mm long) and recently 20700s and 21700s. This is unless I misunderstood, and you have a 26650 mod other than the Aegis, and I just missed it.

IIRC, the original Geekvape Aegis, aka v1, took either 26650 cells or 18650 cells with a sleeve adapter.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was thinking of the legend. I apologize. You are correct! I forgot about the old Aegis 100w.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

They do most certainly fit the Aegis. Look it up on Geekvape.

Andria

VU Sponsors