Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://patch.com/florida/southtampa/e-cigarettes-are-poisoning-pets-vets-say

"Liquid nicotine is highly toxic to pets"

While it is true that just like cigarettes or anything that is a drug it should be kept out of reach of children and pets.

Eliquid is typically from 3% (very,very high max) to 0% (no nicotine at all)

My question is a simple one:
Why continue to call it "liquid nicotine"?
Even the 100mg/ml nicotine solution that manufactures use to MAKE the eliquid is 10% nicotine.

You don't call coffee "Liquid Caffeine"
You don't call children's prescription cough syrup "Liquid Codeine"
So why call something that is 97% to 99.5% NOT nicotine "Liquid Nicotine"??? - 5150

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Patch - AOL's dying gasp at "journalism." Interviewed with them when they first started, for the whopping sum of $45K I could've worn the hats of assignments editor, copyeditor, web editor, photo editor, reporter, photographer, and fact-checker...I'm a junior college dropout who never even applied to j-school and I passed on that - imagine the caliber of writer that's jumping on that gig.

Not surprised that this appears to be a lightly-edited press release crafted by a PR firm hired by this BluePearl vet and/or the Pet Poison Helpline to get their name(s) in the news. Neither entity likely has the authority to talk about vaping, but with "fact checking" traditionally being the low point on the news totem, it's not surprising that the writer just went with whatever she was told by her "source."

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Because nic is the active ingredient. The carrier is considered inert.

This story isn't about vaping. It's about stupid people.

Right but then what would they call 99% nicotine?
Or 100mg/ml Nic Base?

Liquid Nicotine is nothing more than a made up ANTZ term meant to instill fear on people that don't know what vapings about.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so is it the vapor that is poisoning the pets or is it when you pour the ingredients into their food or water dish?

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've read reports about PG having really negative effects on cats. @Artemis might know more, I think it was her talking about this.
Yes, if ingested in large quantities. My cats are fine. They have been watching me vape since 2010. This is a copy/paste from the Pet poison helpline.
Propylene Glycol
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and if ethylene glycol is present

Common signs to watch for:

• Severe sedation
  • Stumbling
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Panting
  • Disorientation
  • Lethargy
  • Metabolic acidosis

Propylene glycol is one of the least toxic glycols. It is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water and is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries for a wide variety of reasons. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol may be used as an antifreeze and can be found in high concentrations in RV and “pet safe” antifreezes. Since it has a wider margin of safety as compared to its chemical cousin, ethylene glycol, it is commonly used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or dog and human food products and is categorized by the FDA as a GRAS (generally recognized as safe) substance for this use. It is also used as a solvent for food colors, flavors and pharmaceuticals (i.e. injectable diazepam). Cats are particularly sensitive to PG and its use is not allowed in cat foods. Historically, some semi-moist cat foods contained up to 5-10% PG and cats were harmed by this (Heinz body formation).

If cats or dogs ingest large amounts of propylene glycol, poisoning can occur. This is most commonly seen when pets ingest liquid propylene glycol products.

Poison type: Garage Items

Alternate names: Pet-safe antifreeze, PG,

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So basically, unless ingested it can not harm the pets?

Serious question:
So the typical blowing clouds as long as NOT directly in their face, the pets should be fine?

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So basically, unless ingested it can not harm the pets?

Serious question:
So the typical blowing clouds as long as NOT directly in their face, the pets should be fine?
My pets have always been fine - the only side effect I'm aware of is that I had to take care to blow clouds away from them when I started vaping, because the cats took an active interest in playing with the vapor. A few years later, it doesn't even faze them.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
IDK if it's completely safe but what I have seen it is dose dependent. My cats are lazy and usually stay away from me when I'm vaping.

My cat got it blown at her once, accidentally... I was taking a hit on my vape while I reached to pet her; for some reason she decided that my hand looked like a chew toy. The surprise of her attack prompted immediate expulsion of vapor.... she didn't like it much, and took off. :D

Andria

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I think the cats vaping is healthy than them smoking :)

But seriously, yes if your cat drinks your ejuice, then not going to be good for them at all, but if people are sensible, then that should never happen.

martin

Member For 4 Years
http://patch.com/florida/southtampa/e-cigarettes-are-poisoning-pets-vets-say

"Liquid nicotine is highly toxic to pets"

While it is true that just like cigarettes or anything that is a drug it should be kept out of reach of children and pets.

Eliquid is typically from 3% (very,very high max) to 0% (no nicotine at all)

My question is a simple one:
Why continue to call it "liquid nicotine"?
Even the 100mg/ml nicotine solution that manufactures use to MAKE the eliquid is 10% nicotine.

You don't call coffee "Liquid Caffeine"
You don't call children's prescription cough syrup "Liquid Codeine"
So why call something that is 97% to 99.5% NOT nicotine "Liquid Nicotine"??? - 5150
very good point my friend

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here kitty kitty....

4XRq97acfn-10.png
Barbecued kitty, that could be an interesting flavored eliquid

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and if ethylene glycol is present,

It kills humans too if ethylene glycol is present

Ethylene glycol IS the poison in anti-freeze
PG is added to make it LESS toxic.

I know vaping around you pets isn't a big deal I was just commenting strictly on the basis of ingestion.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here kitty kitty....

4XRq97acfn-10.png

ROFL!! Well it's better now that I vape instead of smoke.... When I still smoked, everytime I would try to pet her with my right hand, she'd try to bite me. :D I saw immediate benefits from vaping, when I could pet her with either hand without being assaulted. Not sure what her problem was, the day she got vapor blown at her; just feeling frisky I guess. :D She's still quite young; born in 2011, so when I started vaping she was just 2 1/2-3 yrs old.

Andria

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is why numbers are dangerous.

The hotline... "has reported a 400 percent increase in the number of e-cigarette pet poisonings reported in 2015, compared with 2013, the first year such cases were tracked."

There's no perspective there.
--If it was one call in 2013 and four calls in 2015, they can scare more people with the "400 percent" stat.
--How many more people were vaping and/or making their own juice in 2015? If it's more than 400 percent, a pro-vaper can spin this to say pet owners are actually being more careful.

I'm getting visions of crazy juice-making parties where nic is flying around the room in some DIY orgy. What, are pets getting bukkakied with juice?

You called it @OBDave.
http://bluepearlvet.com/download/

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The hotline... "has reported a 400 percent increase in the number of e-cigarette pet poisonings reported in 2015, compared with 2013, the first year such cases were tracked."

--If it was one call in 2013 and four calls in 2015, they can scare more people with the "400 percent" stat.
--How many more people were vaping and/or making their own juice in 2015? If it's more than 400 percent, a pro-vaper can spin this to say pet owners are actually being more careful.

I'm getting visions of crazy juice-making parties where nic is flying around the room in some DIY orgy. What, are pets getting bukkakied with juice?

You called it @OBDave.

Yep, that's it. A 400% increase doesn't mean anything if the total number is tiny. 400 sounds terrible but could be as little as four animals. And no fatalities. I'm laying odds that the one dog taken to the vet was the only dog taken to the vet, the other three were just calls from overly concerned owners.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Statistics and massive percentage increases mean bubkiss to me unless I see the numbers behind them. The media will intentionally create sensational click bait headlines to increase clicks and thus ad revenue on the page.

You called it @OBDave.
Bukkakied! LMAO

Sent from my Geek Vape Griffin using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You called it @OBDave.
1000_times.png

VU Sponsors