Become a Patron!

E-liquid-Recipes is not meant for weight

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been mixing my juice by volume, and just decided to start trying it by weight. I've heard it was easier, and faster. So this morning I made a batch of my only good recipe so far. And I used E-Liquid_Recipes.com for the calculations.

i'm a little annoyed. It works great for calculating the ml's needed of each ingredient, but it is crap when you try to use it in grams. I wanted a 65%VG blend. The 30ml bottle I was using called for a total of 35.62 grams. That's no problem, since I know 1 ml of VG isn't exactly 1g. But the numbers it give me doesn't make a 65%VG by weight. It makes it 70%VG. I also noticed that it gives the wrong info for PG. All of my flavors are PG based, and the ml's always equal the grams, no matter how many grams I am making. But for my PG dilutant, the grams are increased from the ml's. Why would PG weigh more by volume as a stand alone than it does in flavors? I know that the actual flavor takes up some of the weight, but this just add up.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For flavorings I always just use the default, 1ml=1gram. You can find the correct numbers with a little google-fu, but I don't bother.

I never noticed the PG difference in the calculator - good catch!

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Why would PG weigh more by volume as a stand alone than it does in flavors? I know that the actual flavor takes up some of the weight, but this just add up.

The water base in a flavoring is lighter than PG (1g/ml) and ethyl alcohol base is way lighter than PG (.789g/ml). Perhaps the 1g/ml of PG-based flavoring is a reasonable rule of thumb absent exact info about a given flavor's density, particularly since flavoring makes up so little of the overall mix.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I always heard (about the flavoring) But since I use PG based nic, I'm starting to question it's accuracy with that, now. I'll need to do some calculations for that, but I'm assuming that that is off too.

True, Fratervapor, But it doesn't explain why the PG/VG ratios are off by 5%. I know I know work that out myself, but the point of a calculator is to not need to do it yourself

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using a app for Windows and android called ejuice lab it measures by weight let's you add specific weights/gravity for each fluid / flavor , just measure 1ml with a syringe and weigh it the fill in the weight , I believe most of my pg flavors are 1.036 or somewhere around there . Plus you can export all your recipes to a SD card or the cloud storage to have backups when you need them

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's badass, but I use Macs

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I feel kind of dumb for not thinking about this, but I was just driving ho,e and it hit me. while you can use the grams function on this site, you are not actually measuring by mass. You are still measuring by volume. You are just using mass instead. That is why flavors are 1:1 and PG/VG are a little heavier than their volumes. If you were to actually measure the whole recipe by mass, you would have much higher concentrations of flavoring (by volume) than you'd expect.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From my experience with the ejuicemeup calc is you set the PG and VG weights then make it default and you have to redo all your formulas with the new weights default. It was tedious and time consuming but its done. Well spent time since I don't have a armful of syringes and mess to clean up after every mixing session. I didn't bother weighing all my flavorings, just set them at 1 gram/ml.
I also removed all the stock recipes that I will never use so I just have my mixes in the calc.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It does look like a great program. Unfortunately it doesn't run on my Mac.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I only do the flavorings with my scale, then do the PG/VG/NIC by syringes.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been mixing with some of HIC's recipes. A few didn't turn out right. When I emailed him about it, he said that citrus flavors, as well as some spices don't translate the same when using the 1ml=1g method. Have you come across that issue before? Or do you compensate with the true density of each of your flavors?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 1mg/ml for everything, including HIC's recipes. But if they're not tasting right to you just look up the specific gravities for FA - there's a sheet floating around somewhere, but I don't have it!

Also remember that sometimes you need to adjust the overall percentage of flavoring in a recipe to your own taste. For instance, I will sometimes adjust a recipe that calls for a 6% overall flavoring to 8%.

Edited to add: here's a thread with the specific gravities: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/flavourart-flavor-specific-gravities.79208/

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HIC said that there were a few sheets floating around, but none were complete nor completely accurate. I may need to get a better balance and make one for myself with the flavors I have on hand.

I understand that I may need to adjust the total flavor. But HIC and I are currently trying to figure out why one recipe doesn't taste anything like what it's supposed to

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
Specific Gravities for components that I have seen online go like this: PG= 1..38 VG= 1.26 Nicotine = 1.0352 water= 1.00 Flavorings generally range in the 1.00 to 1.04 range, based on flavor......many use the 1.00 for flavoring as AmandaD pointed out

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC said that there were a few sheets floating around, but none were complete nor completely accurate. I may need to get a better balance and make one for myself with the flavors I have on hand.

I understand that I may need to adjust the total flavor. But HIC and I are currently trying to figure out why one recipe doesn't taste anything like what it's supposed to
I've had instances like that not infrequently. A couple of issues I've run into are a) flavoring wasn't shaken, or is old; b) my taste buds, for instance, have a hard time tasting apricot although I have no trouble with the fruit. Also, remember, that HIC has incredibly acute taste receptors:p

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years

You can always measure 1 ml each of your own components, ie PG, VG, Nicotine, and flavorings to get the actual specific gravity to plug into your program

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Flavor Alchemist, I was just thinking about that. Unfortunately, It would take me a while. I have a ton of flavors, and limited time a day. But that would be my next step if I can't find an alternative. I might just need to do it for the flavors in specific recipes first.

AmandaD, I shake each flavor directly before using it. And the ones I have issues with are brand new. Just bought for the recipe I found

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
Flavor Alchemist, I was just thinking about that. Unfortunately, It would take me a while. I have a ton of flavors, and limited time a day. But that would be my next step if I can't find an alternative. I might just need to do it for the flavors in specific recipes first.

AmandaD, I shake each flavor directly before using it. And the ones I have issues with are brand new. Just bought for the recipe I found
Yes Baba Fats......That is understandable, which is the exact reason that many of us who mix by weight (and it is recommended) use 1.00 as the specific gravity for flavors, as it has been observed that flavors, by and large, fall into the category of .97 to around 1.04 in general. Though .04 may account for 1 to 2 drops of flavor, it is a widely accepted method to use 1.0 for flavors specific gravity, amongst other limiting factors that are inherent on E Juice calculators (at least on the EjuiceMeUp)....which is a program you might want to look into..........By the way, what flavor brands are you using?.....and what kind of devices are you vaping with?

Adam harris

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm having the same issues.

I have over 30 flavors and every clone recipe I've made ( using weight ) has turned out good but not great. It's almost flat.

Adam harris

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes Baba Fats......That is understandable, which is the exact reason that many of us who mix by weight (and it is recommended) use 1.00 as the specific gravity for flavors, as it has been observed that flavors, by and large, fall into the category of .97 to around 1.04 in general. Though .04 may account for 1 to 2 drops of flavor, it is a widely accepted method to use 1.0 for flavors specific gravity, amongst other limiting factors that are inherent on E Juice calculators (at least on the EjuiceMeUp)....which is a program you might want to look into..........By the way, what flavor brands are you using?.....and what kind of devices are you vaping with?

I use eliquidrecipes calc and mix by weight.

I've mixed a lot of clones and some I created.

The problem is there always needing more.

I guess I could just start mixing random flavors

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
@Adam harris Not sure if you are steeping your liquids or not.....but generally, steeping improves flavor strength.......The type of vape equipment also makes a difference......What kind of equipment are you vaping with?

Adam harris

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Adam harris Not sure if you are steeping your liquids or not.....but generally, steeping improves flavor strength.......The type of vape equipment also makes a difference......What kind of equipment are you vaping with?

Most of the time my juice is shake and vape unles I'm making 100ml at a time so it last about a week that way.

So no I don't really steep..I do let them breath most of the time after a mix until all the bubbles are gone.

I've got an istick50 and an atlantis v2,a mutation mt-rta, and a lemo 2.

At work I use an istick50 and a lemo 2.. It's an alright set up. There are better but this has been the best pocket friendly set up I've got at the moment.

Also I use a mech at home with a custom dripper with twisted 24 gauge kanthal @.3ohm single coil.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
@Baba Fats you can add the according weight of a flavor, when you have it stored in your flavor stash on e-liquid-recipes.com. You just click on the flavor in you flavor stash, and it will open in a new tab. There you can also add the volume and price of the flavor, which will be used in the calculation of the price of your recipes.

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
Most of the time my juice is shake and vape unles I'm making 100ml at a time so it last about a week that way.

So no I don't really steep..I do let them breath most of the time after a mix until all the bubbles are gone.

I've got an istick50 and an atlantis v2,a mutation mt-rta, and a lemo 2.

At work I use an istick50 and a lemo 2.. It's an alright set up. There are better but this has been the best pocket friendly set up I've got at the moment.

Also I use a mech at home with a custom dripper with twisted 24 gauge kanthal @.3ohm single coil.
Well you got some good coil/wick surface area, which is a plus........Looks like you mix high VG? ...Steeping does improve flavors .....I tried several "shake and vape" recipes and they really never worked out for me, so I started experimenting with StandAlone mixes and varying PG/VG ratios.....Higher PG carries more flavor intensity, but for me, too high of a PG level focused the flavor in a strange way, and of course light on the vapor.....and mouth feel......I now mix in the 60/40 PG/VG to 40/60 PG/VG range, depending on my flavor blends......With these ratios, the flavor is a little less intense, but they blossom on the vape in a delightful way.......I am a Mouth to Lung hitter with an I stick 30 and a few RTAs .....Goblin Mini.....LemoDrop......My recipe Blends usually carry about 15% to 19% flavor totals......StandAlone mixes range in the territory of 9% to 18%.....as MTL does not generate the power or heat that Sub-Ohm does, therefore, for me, require higher flavor %s......Flavors I use are Flavor Art, TFA, Capella.......Flavorah......and Medicine Flower aka Lotus (which generally mix at 2-3% StandAlone)......Capella and TFA StandAlones will mix in the 15% to 18% range....and FlavourArt ranges in the 8% to 15%......again, these are mixed for MTL hitting at lower wattage......I am now experimenting with Flavorah StandAlone mixes and am finding 8% to 12% to be the range, so far.......Steep time is tough to determine, but I am finding that some need only about 1 week.....and as I write this, I am vaping on a Capella Vanilla Custard @ 20% steeped 7 weeks.....blended with Flavor Art Butterscotch, also at 20% steeped 5 weeks..........Smooth as silk.......I prefer BOLD flavor, and if you are anything like me, perhaps you vaped on Juices bought from your local vape shop......These juices, many of which, are designed for the Aspire type EgO tanks with the small replacement coils on a smaller powered battery.......Bold flavor, and in many instances, about 22%, maybe more, in flavoring....at 70/30 PG/VG........unless you bought dripping juices which are generally high VG with smaller %s of flavor...Much of my stuff, I will steep for about 2 weeks, cuz if Fruit Flavors steep TOO long, then the crisp, fresh fruit notes tend to round off in the vape.....My Flavorah mixes definitely proved this out for me.....so I am gonna be backing off the steep time a bit on those........but steeping, as I have found, definitely benefits juices.....it's just a matter of experimenting.....ALOT.....I absolutely love your idea of "throwing caution to the wind" and mixing some Mad Scientist Crazy flavors........You will prolly hit on a winner

Last edited:

Adam harris

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well you got some good coil/wick surface area, which is a plus........Looks like you mix high VG? ...Steeping does improve flavors .....I tried several "shake and vape" recipes and they really never worked out for me, so I started experimenting with StandAlone mixes and varying PG/VG ratios.....Higher PG carries more flavor intensity, but for me, too high of a PG level focused the flavor in a strange way, and of course light on the vapor.....and mouth feel......I now mix in the 60/40 PG/VG to 40/60 PG/VG range, depending on my flavor blends......With these ratios, the flavor is a little less intense, but they blossom on the vape in a delightful way.......I am a Mouth to Lung hitter with an I stick 30 and a few RTAs .....Goblin Mini.....LemoDrop......My recipe Blends usually carry about 15% to 19% flavor totals......StandAlone mixes range in the territory of 9% to 18%.....as MTL does not generate the power or heat that Sub-Ohm does, therefore, for me, require higher flavor %s......Flavors I use are Flavor Art, TFA, Capella.......Flavorah......and Medicine Flower aka Lotus (which generally mix at 2-3% StandAlone)......Capella and TFA StandAlones will mix in the 15% to 18% range....and FlavourArt ranges in the 8% to 15%......again, these are mixed for MTL hitting at lower wattage......I am now experimenting with Flavorah StandAlone mixes and am finding 8% to 12% to be the range, so far.......Steep time is tough to determine, but I am finding that some need only about 1 week.....and as I write this, I am vaping on a Capella Vanilla Custard @ 20% steeped 7 weeks.....blended with Flavor Art Butterscotch, also at 20% steeped 5 weeks..........Smooth as silk.......I prefer BOLD flavor, and if you are anything like me, perhaps you vaped on Juices bought from your local vape shop......These juices, many of which, are designed for the Aspire type EgO tanks with the small replacement coils on a smaller powered battery.......Bold flavor, and in many instances, about 22%, maybe more, in flavoring....at 70/30 PG/VG........unless you bought dripping juices which are generally high VG with smaller %s of flavor...Much of my stuff, I will steep for about 2 weeks, cuz if Fruit Flavors steep TOO long, then the crisp, fresh fruit notes tend to round off in the vape.....My Flavorah mixes definitely proved this out for me.....so I am gonna be backing off the steep time a bit on those........but steeping, as I have found, definitely benefits juices.....it's just a matter of experimenting.....ALOT.....I absolutely love your idea of "throwing caution to the wind" and mixing some Mad Scientist Crazy flavors........You will prolly hit on a winner

Yep I'm to that point that it's time to kick out some random recipes.

So if I read right you use 20% caps vanilla custard and 20% fa butterscotch in one recipe equaling 40% total flavor?

Edit. Oh you made them standalone and then mixed. Great idea.

Do you use em or sweetener?

Flavor Alchemist

Member For 4 Years
Sweeteners?......not in this particular blend.......and yeah, you are right....Mixed each flavor StandAlone then mixed them about 75% custard and 25% butterscotch......It is an interesting way to taste percentages for future use in combined recipes.....and also just experimental fun to alter flavors of vapes after trying them by themselves........I usually don't use sweeteners, however am preparing for some experiments with Agave.....and Stevia.....to sweeten some very tart Citrus juices.....and get a feeling of what those two are capable of for future reference........Marshmallow is also a good sweetner used by many mixers,,,,,,it also adds mouth feel to the vape.......

VU Sponsors