Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like people on the coast panicking over hurricanes?
Or people living on floodplains and floods?
Or living in HI and volcanoes?

Humans are humans no matter where they are.

Me and wife get a HI news channel, bunch of locals standing around watching the lava creep toward their neighborhood. "Well, we live here, reckon we ought to go start a water line." They stood there a little longer just watching the lava. They weren't too concerned over it at all. "Destroys the house we got a buddy that's got some beach huts until we get rebuilt. All us neighbors will help everyone." Got folks of that skien in floodplains, hurricane washes, tornado alleys.

Of course, you got idiots too. Many of that kind get hung up over stuff. Plenty of room and material to create stars in the skies. So above, so below. The important is in the living.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Power is also passed on from generation to generation but not the wisdom of how to use that power.

I actually might be but often part of gaining that wisdom requires knowing what to look for, when to go find it, where the knowledge to apply is found, who to ask if you have questions, why it is kept covertly, how to access further knowledge and wisdom. Responsibility, accountability seem to elude those wanting power and that leads to corruption.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me and wife get a HI news channel, bunch of locals standing around watching the lava creep toward their neighborhood. "Well, we live here, reckon we ought to go start a water line." They stood there a little longer just watching the lava. They weren't too concerned over it at all. "Destroys the house we got a buddy that's got some beach huts until we get rebuilt. All us neighbors will help everyone." Got folks of that skien in floodplains, hurricane washes, tornado alleys.

Of course, you got idiots too. Many of that kind get hung up over stuff. Plenty of room and material to create stars in the skies. So above, so below. The important is in the living.

Kinda links to a post I mad a while back about city folks moving to the country and kinda bringing the city with them.
Real country folks work together and help each other.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually might be but often part of gaining that wisdom requires knowing what to look for, when to go find it, where the knowledge to apply is found, who to ask if you have questions, why it is kept covertly, how to access further knowledge and wisdom. Responsibility, accountability seem to elude those wanting power and that leads to corruption.

I have also seen time and again the children inheriting a farm or something that the parents have worked hard all their life to build up.
And before you know it all is squandered by the children on cars, boats, luxury life style, etc...
Hard work and financial responsibility is not encouraged in US society.
Spending far more than one has is encouraged to enrich those at the top.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have also seen time and again the children inheriting a farm or something that the parents have worked hard all their life to build up.
And before you know it all is squandered by the children on cars, boats, luxury life style, etc...

Seen much the same but you too live in Appalachia and know it is stuck at least a
century behind. Folks do teach good habits to youngins but youngins don't care.
They just figure you need to keep up with Jone's and enter a new century. The
youngins don't understand all the roughness of life doled to them is love. They
get the thought parents don't love them. Of course, in Appalachia too you
have lots of parents that were never taught loving because parents fought war,
take jobs away from home. No time for love chasing imaginary pies in the sky.

Apologies. Difficult for this mind to not think. Thinking hurts. Suppose
I'm best suited just not socializing, talking.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me and wife get a HI news channel,
You must have one hell of an antenna!

And plenty of loving people in appalachia.
They love Nascar, smoking, beer and their pickup:)

And some even love other people and treat their neighbors nice.
Grew up in the hills of Eastern KY. Lotsa good people there, some not so good as well and it has gotten worse...

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

When I was a kid we did things like that. I remember a few barn building get together where we go to someones house and help build a barn or shed or whatever while the women folkscooked us up a simple feast. Was lots of fun for us kids because we got to run around like wild hooligans and parents didnt care because they knew we would be totally out of steam when the sun went down :p Also remember if someone slid off the road in winter which happened some there would be races to see who's tractor got to them first and it was all in good neighborly fun. Shit like that doesnt seem to happen anymore :( People are way too self centered now to give much of a shit about others.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Also noticed professional integrity is totally lacking in young people today. Cant tell how many times I told a younger mechanic they wasnt getting paid to play on their phones and they get mad at that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also noticed professional integrity is totally lacking in young people today. Cant tell how many times I told a younger mechanic they wasnt getting paid to play on their phones and they get mad at that.
Cell phone addiction is a growing problem in the USA. Prolly cut workers productivity by 20%.
But just one of the problems that is causes.
Seems that most people have lost the use of one hand because of it.
Hold their cell phone instead of their childs hand...

And the new cell phone and IOT system coming out soon will just accelerate the problems.

If it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that cell phones caused brain tumors people would still use them.
The new system is supposed to be worse in that regard...

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cell phone addiction is a growing problem in the USA. Prolly cut workers productivity by 20%.
But just one of the problems that is causes.
Seems that most people have lost the use of one hand because of it.
Hold their cell phone instead of their childs hand...

And the new cell phone and IOT system coming out soon will just accelerate the problems.

If it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that cell phones caused brain tumors people would still use them.
The new system is supposed to be worse in that regard...

I keep one for emergencies and taking pictures :p

IfI had my way I would of got ridof my cell phone the lst day I wirked but the family insist I keep the damn thing just in case I am off somewhere and get into chest pains arsome crap like that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

IfI had my way I would of got ridof my cell phone the lst day I wirked but the family insist I keep the damn thing just in case I am off somewhere and get into chest pains arsome crap like that.
I have a 10 yr old flip phone. Stays in pocket unless answering or making a call which is seldom.
I think it will take pictures?

And I spent most of my working career in Telecom :)
And am a technodweeb.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a 10 yr old flip phone. Stays in pocket unless answering or making a call which is seldom.
I think it will take pictures?

And I spent most of my working career in Telecom :)
And am a technodweeb.

Bought a galaxy S5 around a year or more before I was forced into disability. It does internet, email and all that crap. Use to use it a lot listening to music at work. But Now its about useless and probably the last cell phone I will ever buy.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I didn't have a mobile phone till 2016... and while I really enjoy mine, one of the biggest blessings is having like a thousand books in the Kindle cloud that I can take with me everywhere -- but I *could* go back to lugging a book or two around with me everywhere, if I really needed to. I like being able to look shit up riight quick, no matter where I am... but I got along just fine with my own memory before I had a smart phone, I could go back to that if I had to. Looking up maps and directions, now that is damn handy.. but somehow I got by with paper and longhand before 2016.

So, modern technology, I really enjoy it. But I don't let it take over my life.

Electricity and running water, now that's a horse of another color. I will never willingly do without those. Each of us in the family having a mobile phone means we no longer need a "home phone." :)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a Kindle for reading ebooks. A phone is too small for me to read books on.

I found that to be true with my first mobile phone, one of the small 4.5 inch screens that Galaxy makes.. also slow and chintzy with memory. All that was why I got a 6" "phablet" in Deb 2016, but in 2018 when I realized I needed more memory, I decided to go back to a 5.5" screen, the Moto I use now; it's roughly the same size as a trade paperback, and with the adjustable font and lighting/colors, I can make it quite readable, much moreso than an ACTUAL trade paperback.

Speaking of which... time to adjourn to read for an hour, then bed. Nite y'all!

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You must have one
hell of an antenna!

Well, it comes in on the Roku receiver. It carries lots of various news
channels which provide live/prerecorded feeds. Think the HI news station
lagged only appx. two hours.

I remember a few barn
building get together where we go to someones house and help build a
barn

From age seven up to age eighteen attended the Mennonite Summer Bible
camp. If I recall correctly there was three different two week Summer
trips. The children were allowed by parents to go with the church to PA.
We Mennonites visited our elder Amish brethren. Even the kids, boys,
were put to helping raise barns. Kids come in handy to whack pegs into
rafter beams. No nails got used.

People are way too self
centered now to give much of a shit about others.

Yes. This is exactly "the lie" everyone has been taught. It says there
is a self. What it neglects to explain is that self is a construct of
ego. Egotism divides the house of us all being one, all one is the basis
of the word alone. Being alone is why we can be individuals yet never
lonely.

The lie though is spoon fed us and exacerbates the creation of an
unfulfillable hole. Having that causes us to forget that enough is enough.
We become insatiable for the ever increasing more.

Also noticed professional integrity is totally lacking in young people today.

Why remain integral when the lie teaches others are to blame and at
fault? It is never our faults for making choices. That is not to
say there are not cases that are in fact purely external no matter
our choices. It means though that roughly 95% yet still requires us
choosing.

Each of us in the family
having a mobile phone means we no longer need a "home phone."

Could almost think cell phones take us away from home.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was young, an older colleague was rolling a cigarette during work hours so the boss walked up to him and told him he should roll his cigarettes beforehand. To which my older colleague replied, "yeah, but this one's for tomorrow". :p

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes. This is exactly "the lie" everyone has been taught. It says there
is a self. What it neglects to explain is that self is a construct of ego. ...

Please someone help me, help me remember thinking hurts, and help me try to not think for a little while?

Damn, too late.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have an Ipad with Kindle app and the ibooks app with a lot of books on it and I still prefer the feel of a good book in my hand vs the Ipad. On the other hand like Andria said, they store a ton of books on them. Being a member of Amazon Prime also allows me to download a bunch of free books too. Thats always a nice feature yet the ipad also hurts my eyes. The light gets to me after a while of reading.

If there was a world wide calamity that resulted in no electricity worldwide would not be a bad thing in my opinion. People are becoming like zombies and many would be totally clueless how to live in a long term black out. Its like they lost the skills to survive on their own. Technology was suppose to improve lives yet in reality it made people weaker.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have an Ipad with Kindle app and the ibooks app with a lot of books on it and I still prefer the feel of a good book in my hand vs the Ipad. On the other hand like Andria said, they store a ton of books on them. Being a member of Amazon Prime also allows me to download a bunch of free books too. Thats always a nice feature yet the ipad also hurts my eyes. The light gets to me after a while of reading.

If there was a world wide calamity that resulted in no electricity worldwide would not be a bad thing in my opinion. People are becoming like zombies and many would be totally clueless how to live in a long term black out. Its like they lost the skills to survive on their own. Technology was suppose to improve lives yet in reality it made people weaker.

Luddite. *grin* Much similar is being said regarding antibiotics. Mercer has now become nearly a death warrant because it feeds off of antibiotics, inclusive of Cipro. It alters itself faster than the alleged H.I.V. virus to stay ahead of antibiotics. Doctors are now only prescribing them in dire cases as to keep offering them can only breed more super-bugs. There's no longer any "ultimate" antibiotic which just works on anything. I think Cipro is the closest in use. Had to have it for blood poisoning. Recall when it was only for anthrax poisoning.

Psst, my humble view of the fruit that was not to be eaten? Wheat. Wheat required agriculture, farming to take hold. We didn't need knowledge of life and death until we started farming wheat. Wheat taught us to fight over land so we could grow more in number to fight over more land and so on. We also need anal orifices then to release the bloating in our bellies wheat causes. Well, I got more reasoning but that involves thinking so I'll, ... :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

What other people do is of no account to me whatsoever. If they want to become zombie slaves to their electronic devices, that's their problem, but it certainly isn't mine -- my son and I just the other day were discussing it, how other people walk around constantly with their eyes glued to their phones -- we don't. But I certainly don't wish for an worldwide power outage, because if it was summer, that would have a DRASTIC impact on my ability to BREATHE! -- I depend on my AC not just to be cool, but to dehumidify the air so I can breathe, because in the summer without AC, it's like trying to breathe jello... through a sponge!

I find the Kindle app makes it MUCH easier to read whatever I'm reading... because I can change the font to a larger size than the norm, I use the "sepia" tint unless I'm outdoors in sunlight, and I change to a font that seems the most like actually reading a book.. I think it's "Baskerville." I do use the Android8 "night light" feature, to cut the blue-green light after dark so it doesn't contribute to my insomnia... and I love that Android8 now has this feature built-in, so I don't have to waste RAM or storage on a separate app -- but if I'm already suffering insomnia and have to get back up, I don't turn on the desk light at all, while I sit here reading, so I make the light on my Kindle app even darker, with that sepia tint, so the bright light doesn't wake my brain up any further.

As I said... electricity is ESSENTIAL for life... and it's really not "modern technology"... it's goddamn NINETEENTH CENTURY technology!

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Around 16% of the worlds population do not have electricity.
Around 67% of the worlds population have cell phones.

*from lurk hole is heard a low Hmmmm* "Might be an idea in that somewhere. For example portable electric generators from cell phones. Not really anything difficult to imagine either. I say generator but probably would do better to say conduit.

Send electricity as shortwave radio waves to satellites, create an app for cell phones to convert/invert/invertor the radio waves back over to electrical output. Might want a bidirectional USB cord to then have a universal adapter end to plug up anything to your conduit/phone.

May not even need satellites either, just bounce it up to ionosphere and let it go around Earth like "skip". Reckon that could prove Tesla right, power all around us, freely."

*hushes and puts rabbit on his fire in the lurk hole, goes on back in hole and starts diagramming on his mental blackboard, creates the if then else series, sets it up as a mind map and starts walking through troubleshooting, figuring the how tos and no why fors, let someone else piddle with cosmetics*

"Not to be political but we can all obviously see that governments would step in on behalf of Big Electric, Big Oil. Couldn't have it be Open Source and shared freely, would need patents and such to strictly protect it from patent trolling, limiting an ability to give it away free to anyone, ally or enemy."

*hushes again, sighs, pins his mental board* "I think that kind of solves about two of the big world problems, possibly a third. My mind is going off duty to fantasize about well, whatever it wants." :) "FTW, Peace out!"

Minor note, electricity can be sent as radio waves. If I recall correctly that was how "Frame Relay" Internet access was set up. Data got digitized, made electric via binary and then sent to remote places as radio wave energy, converted back to electric and then to data. Now, I think everyone wants to try using lasers which I can understand might be applicable to a degree. A storm comes though, radio waves or lasers either one won't work. Radio can "follow" geography, bounce around structures and travel farther than laser. Laser taps a structure it goes all frayed out and stops.

Nope, I never think about this kind of stuff, never go look it up either. Know nothing about H.A.R.P either which communicates with submarines for the Navy. My name? Oswald Boothe. :)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many in the world are too poor to afford electricity if it was available where they are.

The rural electrification program brought electricity to most of rural USA.
Many were against the program and the TVA but the TVA was very handy for WW2 to make aluminum for aircraft, etc.
Same with the interstate highway system.
Rules requiring telephone service to rural areas not just the high density high profit cities and such.
Boulder Dam? Without it Las Vegas and southern CA would look nothing like it is today.
Smart investments in infrastructure is a good thing.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I seem to recall that someone in early 'electrical science,' maybe Tesla? wanted electricity to be free to everyone, as the force of nature that it truly is... but of course Mr Westinghouse couldn't be having that, he wanted to meter it and PROFIT from it! The American Dream! :facepalm:

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening fugee's

I got to GFmyself real well last couple days :p

Tuesday I got to ride in an ambulance with a couple gal paramedics :) and yesterday I was well pried, poked scanned and god knows what else. Today I got to come home to a puppy boy who went absolutely crazy the moment he seen me and I still cant move without him being right there!

Last few days have not been dull :giggle:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Evening fugee's

Tuesday I got to ride in an ambulance with a couple gal paramedics :) and yesterday I was well pried, poked scanned and god knows what else. Today I got to come home to a puppy boy who went absolutely crazy the moment he seen me and I still cant move without him being right there!

Sorry to hear of your adventures of the past few days. wondered what was up.
Glad you must be doing better and are home.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sorry to hear of your adventures of the past few days. wondered what was up.
Glad you must be doing better and are home.

Same episode that I had a lil over a month ago. Start feeling horrible for no reason, blood pressure skyrockets, chest pains and horrible aches in the center of both wrist with upper left arm pain. Within an hour or two of getting to the hospital I knew going there was a huge screw up for I was fine and the moment I suggested leaving I get all these dirty looks. :confused:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

*HUG* I been trying to keep my partying quiet. :)

Been getting in touch with some more freaks of my keen and kin by way of a different Internet utility. Wife says it'll rot my brain.
Keep reminding her I took it out long ago to be ahead of the :zombie::zombie::zombie: . They got me running around with the Beard
Brotherhood and Norse Pagans, Goths, Punks. :) Skol & Merry Meet we bring to you better blessings walking in the Light. :)

Many in the world are too poor to afford electricity if it was available where they are.

That is due in part to access of energy. Keeping energy such as
electricity inaccessible by requiring a profit from it, you create
further inequality. Profit is a means of controlling access. That's true
for any resource which sadly are all provided by the universe freely to
all.

Tesla was brilliant but kind of an insane idealist.

The U.S. Federal government has been effectively shut down approximately
thirty days. Once people see we can do fine without the federalists,
will we desire to keep the federalists system around?

Circa 1994 one of the signature lines being quoted from Usenet was,
"what if they had a war but nobody showed up to fight it?" I can suggest
that is idealistic as well. Let us keep the federal system shut down
a while more and see how quick people send sons, daughters, fathers,
mothers off to war.

As to retreating or withdrawing from Syria, military experts know and
state correctly we'll never be rid of I.S.I.S, it's an idea. Ideas are
not destroyed nor fought with swords. The experts know that but also
know they need to keep a presence in the area to quell uprisings of an
idea, ergo they do not want pull outs.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

Perhaps, equality is now having its time due? Idealism can and does
change the world, it'll keep doing so. Apologies if it seems I'm
conflating ideas. I'm not as I'm debating an idea which requires
asymmetric thought for its many facets.

The basic idea is scarcity which is a false idea created to control
access, to attain and keep power. Ideas can use other ideas as tools, or
means to ends. The core idea in this case is power, or the illusion of
it. Power as it presents is corrupted ergo needs debated, abolished if
possible.

Power needs brought low and humbled under the feet of the people. Only
then can it be used to help the people as it rightly, ethically, morally
needs be used. Yes, I'm egalitarian & idealist. So?

Last edited:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Morning fugee's.

That is due in part to access of energy. Keeping energy such as
electricity inaccessible by requiring a profit from it, you create
further inequality. Profit is a means of controlling access. That's true
for any resource which sadly are all provided by the universe freely to
all.

Its how you look at it buddy. First off energy is not free. It cost to produce it as well as ensure it is reliably delivered to the end user (you). Any and all energy that you personally produce is yours free and clear but when other produce and deliver it, a profit for those doing it is not a bad thing. Plus lots of times the profit goes to upgrades, disaster relief, pay and benefits for the men and women who keep the system running smoothly and a myriad of other things that keeps the system running smoothly.

Also things like electricity are not a right. Not 100 years ago a huge portion of the country didnt have electricity in their homes or even running water. For eons before that people lived just fine without electricity so its more of a luxury than anything. People wants to demand it as a right but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, its not. We all can live just fine without it. Many would be extremely bitchy about not having their AC or idiot box to watch but it doesnt change that its a luxury, not a right.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Been trying to eliminate sodium from my diet and I had no idea what kind of bitch it is to not use salt. I was warned about salt before and yesterday the doc told me again I have to do better on sodium intake. Said I had elevated fluid levels which caught me by surprise. Since October when they said I had congestive heart failure I been keeping a close eye on it and when the top of my feet and ankles swell, means I am holding water. Wasnt that way when I had my cardiac episode but the doc said my test results showed elevated fluid retention which for me isnt good.

Problem is without salt everything is so damn bland. Last night was browsing the search engines for salt substitutes and they had a few recipes with a dozen or so spices mixed up that I am gonna try. Anyone have any suggestions with the special diets they are on for salt substitutes?

No more chips or anything like that is gonna suck :(

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Its how you look at it buddy. First off energy is not free. It cost to produce it as well as ensure it is reliably delivered to the end user (you).

I can understand that up to a degree. Not going to say the system of profit and rewards is all bad. It isn't. This is like
an argument over any technology really, for example guns. "Oh no, guns kill people. Let's ban all guns," can be trotted
out. Well, you have to recall guns are inanimate tools that don't walk under their own power. You can see then guns do
not of their own will and volition kill people. People use guns to kill people based on the person using the gun's intention.

Ideas like a system of profit and reward are inanimate tools. People can corrupt them outright or only in part depending
on their (the people's) intention/s. When you start off with the premise that all resources can be owned by one person
or another, then let them profit (gain reward) for letting others have access, the system of profit and reward gets corrupted.
I kind of fall back to wanting to damn the first person to have made a fence and yelled out mine as they fenced off land. All of
this Earth was given to all of us as free gift. Who ought to have a right then to own any of it?

I'm not trying to be obstinate. I do feel there's a point to , if not accepting divinity existing, at least being able to see
the universe has provided freely for all of us. Not trying to be "smart" either. I'm just kind of not understanding how some
can seem to understand it has all been given free to all of us, but then let parasites come into the picture. "We have the
gold so say he has the gold has the rule." Yet we can all go pan for gold if we want. Not saying there'll be much left to
find yet we can all go try finding some, and it's relatively free to all of us. I'm not discounting folks earning by their labor.

Bah, too much of that for now. What's left of my single gray cell is starting want to go watch Old Yeller just so as to fuss,
"you aiin't gonna be rockin' my old dog!" That and it feels its sustenance of caffeine in the blood flow is down a pint or
maybe two. Also working on a fierce down in me belly. :) *chuckles* Will go downstairs and get some vittles in just a short
spell. Suffice to say I can agree with you up to a very far point. Then, I step off and take a look at it and feel really bad, see
that very much of human endeavor has run so foul. In short, I think, feel, care, stub my toe. *grin* I probably even over think
that hubcap o' beans you got over there. We all know I can use my hands to shovel beans into my mouth. "Beans, mmm."

Alright that did it. I had to think of beans, y'all owe me all your beans for a year. Shh, don't make me loose count now.
I'll need to go bribe the Furies, with access to the idea that'll make them equal to humans, to go to war over tofu. It'll
be a mess, fur, nuzzles, cuteness, .... everywhere. We're talking cats with dogs, raining hippos end of the world mess
here. *grin* If that's not terrible enough, has you some jazz.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can understand that up to a degree. Not going to say the system of profit and rewards is all bad. It isn't. This is like
an argument over any technology really, for example guns. "Oh no, guns kill people. Let's ban all guns," can be trotted
out. Well, you have to recall guns are inanimate tools that don't walk under their own power. You can see then guns do
not of their own will and volition kill people. People use guns to kill people based on the person using the gun's intention.

Ideas like a system of profit and reward are inanimate tools. People can corrupt them outright or only in part depending
on their (the people's) intention/s. When you start off with the premise that all resources can be owned by one person
or another, then let them profit (gain reward) for letting others have access, the system of profit and reward gets corrupted.
I kind of fall back to wanting to damn the first person to have made a fence and yelled out mine as they fenced off land. All of
this Earth was given to all of us as free gift. Who ought to have a right then to own any of it?

I'm not trying to be obstinate. I do feel there's a point to , if not accepting divinity existing, at least being able to see
the universe has provided freely for all of us. Not trying to be "smart" either. I'm just kind of not understanding how some
can seem to understand it has all been given free to all of us, but then let parasites come into the picture. "We have the
gold so say he has the gold has the rule." Yet we can all go pan for gold if we want. Not saying there'll be much left to
find yet we can all go try finding some, and it's relatively free to all of us. I'm not discounting folks earning by their labor.

Bah, too much of that for now. What's left of my single gray cell is starting want to go watch Old Yeller just so as to fuss,
"you aiin't gonna be rockin' my old dog!" That and it feels its sustenance of caffeine in the blood flow is down a pint or
maybe two. Also working on a fierce down in me belly. :) *chuckles* Will go downstairs and get some vittles in just a short
spell. Suffice to say I can agree with you up to a very far point. Then, I step off and take a look at it and feel really bad, see
that very much of human endeavor has run so foul. In short, I think, feel, care, stub my toe. *grin* I probably even over think
that hubcap o' beans you got over there. We all know I can use my hands to shovel beans into my mouth. "Beans, mmm."

Alright that did it. I had to think of beans, y'all owe me all your beans for a year. Shh, don't make me loose count now.
I'll need to go bribe the Furies, with access to the idea that'll make them equal to humans, to go to war over tofu. It'll
be a mess, fur, nuzzles, cuteness, .... everywhere. We're talking cats with dogs, raining hippos end of the world mess
here. *grin* If that's not terrible enough, has you some jazz.

Oh noes, cant watch old yeller for the same reason I wont watch a dogs life or marley and me again. I can not stand the parts where the dog dies. I just dont want to see that and even though they was all great movies I just dont want to see that. :(

And I would gladly give ya all the beans but ever since I lost my marbles I just cant seem to find where I put those pesky beans :p

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Morning fugee's.

Its how you look at it buddy. First off energy is not free. It cost to produce it as well as ensure it is reliably delivered to the end user (you). Any and all energy that you personally produce is yours free and clear but when other produce and deliver it, a profit for those doing it is not a bad thing. Plus lots of times the profit goes to upgrades, disaster relief, pay and benefits for the men and women who keep the system running smoothly and a myriad of other things that keeps the system running smoothly.

Also things like electricity are not a right. Not 100 years ago a huge portion of the country didnt have electricity in their homes or even running water. For eons before that people lived just fine without electricity so its more of a luxury than anything. People wants to demand it as a right but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, its not. We all can live just fine without it. Many would be extremely bitchy about not having their AC or idiot box to watch but it doesnt change that its a luxury, not a right.

You're wrong, we ALL cannot live just fine without it -- as mentioned, I require it to run AC in the summer so I can keep breathing and stay out of the hospital... and people in hospitals DEFINITELY require it, for pretty much everything!

We have the EMC system here, and a very good EMC, which offers low rates, and once a year, we get a dividend check. You're correct that it's not a right, it's a privilege that must be paid for -- but to say that everyone, in the year 2019, can live without it, is absolutely ridiculous. Even without considering my needs for dehumidification, I require it cook food! To operate the thermostat for the gas furnace! We do have a fireplace, but the flue doesn't open, thx to the handle being broken off, and even if it did open, considering how long it's been since the chimney was cleaned, it's a housefire just looking for a place to happen. Yes, we do have natural gas here, but I dislike gas stoves because when they malfunction or start dying, they release toxic gases into the home -- I prefer to stay alive and stick with electric. It is in NO way feasible for "everyone" to do without electricity, in the modern world.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ahh without AC the south would not be nearly as heavily populated.

That's the damn truth! I always get a real chuckle when people in NY or Wisconsin start complaining about the heat in the summer. They need to come on down here and learn what HOT really feels like! But, as great as the cooling is, with AC, that's really not my primary reason for needing it, and I don't actually keep my house like a grocery store (teeth-chattering even in summer!) -- I usually leave it set around 77 degrees, unless I'm cooking, then 75 degrees. But dehumidifying... I really can't breathe well at all, in the summer, without that.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Worked about 6 months in Hotlanta. Up on the north side.
Seems to have a lot of streets and such named Peach Tree down there ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Worked about 6 months in Hotlanta. Up on the north side.
Seems to have a lot of streets and such named Peach Tree down there ;)

Pretty much every-other thing -- not just streets! -- is "peachtree something-or-other"... which is so damn funny, because Atlanta is too far north, too cold in the winter, for any real profit in growing peaches. :giggle: Some folks do have peach trees, but they have to be babied and coddled something terrible in cold snaps in the winter, or they either die, or won't bear fruit. The real peach industry is much further south, down where they also grow peanuts -- south of Macon! :D

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Down toward Vidalia Onion country.

I always have to enter combat mode when driving thru Hotlanta on the interstate.
Hell with speed limits and drive like hell.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Down toward Vidalia Onion country.

I always have to enter combat mode when driving thru Hotlanta on the interstate.
Hell with speed limits and drive like hell.

Yep, and even into citrus-growing territory. I hate to bring up the specter of old-fashioned troubles, but also cotton -- lots of it still grows here, it's so hot in S. GA.

And you're right, traffic all over metro Atlanta, not just in the city, is getting on towards the same kind of hell as Los Angeles -- like that city, Atlanta sprawls, and metro now covers a very large portion of the north half of the state. Here in Lawrenceville, we're 25 miles from Atlanta, 30-35 miles from downtown, but at rush hour there are a lot of streets right here in L'ville that we simply stay off of, if at all possible, because the road and traffic signals are very ill-designed for their current volumes during rush hours.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You're wrong, we ALL cannot live just fine without it -- as mentioned, I require it to run AC in the summer so I can keep breathing and stay out of the hospital... and people in hospitals DEFINITELY require it, for pretty much everything!

We have the EMC system here, and a very good EMC, which offers low rates, and once a year, we get a dividend check. You're correct that it's not a right, it's a privilege that must be paid for -- but to say that everyone, in the year 2019, can live without it, is absolutely ridiculous. Even without considering my needs for dehumidification, I require it cook food! To operate the thermostat for the gas furnace! We do have a fireplace, but the flue doesn't open, thx to the handle being broken off, and even if it did open, considering how long it's been since the chimney was cleaned, it's a housefire just looking for a place to happen. Yes, we do have natural gas here, but I dislike gas stoves because when they malfunction or start dying, they release toxic gases into the home -- I prefer to stay alive and stick with electric. It is in NO way feasible for "everyone" to do without electricity, in the modern world.

Andria

If you was born 100 years ago, ya wouldnt even know what AC is. People dont like to admit it but we are a hell of a lot tougher than even we think. I cant breathe when its hot also. I would just have to move slower and acclimate to it. Sure I would be bitchin 90 to nuttin but I wouldnt die if the AC never came on again and I believe the majority of the people would survive just fine. When hurricanes knock the power out for months you dont see death toll from the heat. People learn to live with it.

I never said you or anyone would want to Andria but I believe your tough as nails when it comes down to it and you would survive just because you are tough. I talked to you many times and I know there is steel in your backbone. And thats meant as a compliment!

VU Sponsors