Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I work nights so I don't get to see anything that's on in the evenings. I'll be watching even less now since the satellite got turned off this morning. :sad:

I absolutely LOVE the Secretariat movie! I look like a fool though bawling my eyes out at the end though. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear ya lost Sat TV. I loved my DirecTV but turned it off after the flood when I thought my TV was fried. Turned out it was my power strip that was fried but decided to stick with Internet TV like Netflix and Hulu because it was to the point nothing was ever on worth watching. Then the cable company called me and offered me Cable TV with all the bells and whistles, phone service and internet for $96 a month. I was paying over $50 for my phone and $60 for my internet so I said hell yeah.

The end of Secretariat is the best part of the movie. :D

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to hear ya lost Sat TV. I loved my DirecTV but turned it off after the flood when I thought my TV was fried. Turned out it was my power strip that was fried but decided to stick with Internet TV like Netflix and Hulu because it was to the point nothing was ever on worth watching. Then the cable company called me and offered me Cable TV with all the bells and whistles, phone service and internet for $96 a month. I was paying over $50 for my phone and $60 for my internet so I said hell yeah.

I've thought about doing Netflix and Hulu since my contract with DirecTV is up but my son and I watch too many of the channels that they offer to want to give it up. I could get cable but not their internet. Cable internet here sucks! The satellite will get turned back on probably next week.
And I agree about the end of the movie! I've seen it at least 5 times and still get so excited at the end!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

JC, doc....I'm paying $240 bucks a month for internet, cable TV and phone....with Cox, and no pay channels like HBO et al, because they never have anything worth watching anyway. If I had the paid channels the cost would be $340 a month...with is beyond NUTS.....:gaah::cuss2::gaah:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
JC, doc....I'm paying $240 bucks a month for internet, cable TV and phone....with Cox, and no pay channels like HBO et al, because they never have anything worth watching anyway. If I had the paid channels the cost would be $340 a month...with is beyond NUTS.....:gaah::cuss2::gaah:

That's almost Alaska prices...

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My satellite is only $108 a month but after forking over $377 to have my car fixed last week with only $125 in my checking account :rolleyes:, I had to have a ride to work. So now I'm at -$233 at the bank. No way in hell was I going to add another $108 plus $36 insufficient funds fee to that so I let them turn it off.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have many choices in my neighborhood. They just installed fiber-optic, hopefully the price will go down.

Other neighborhoods the fiber is installed they are charging $162 a month for the works.
That's sort of like here with Prism TV. It's offered 3 miles away but not available at my house. If I could get Prism, then I could bundle it and my internet and pay just a little more than what I'm paying for satellite alone.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I cant agree Morely. With Disney holding the rights they can and have taken the Star Wars saga farther than Lucas did. The story doesnt end but keeps going and going which is good for fans like me. Look how Lucas did it. 1977 was episode IV, then in 1980 was episode V and in 1983 Episode VI. Then we waited 16 years for episode 1 which was released in 1999. 2002 was Episode II and 2005 we sen episode III. Now 9 years later Disney is making the movies and we already had episode VII, episode VIII is suppose to be released this December and Rouge One has spun off the franchise, If you ask me Disney has taken the ball and is running with it. Not a bad thing.

I wish they would get involved with the Avatar movies and build a fire under their asses so they will put out movies, Been waiting since 2009 for them to make more movies.

Well, ...

I can see your perspective that Disney is a boon in that manner for
fans. That is a good point too, valid. It isn't exactly the point I was
stating though.

What I was considering was that now, if you want to do a different
version of say Beauty and the Beast you need to get Disney permission.
It is the same to write anything new and different in the Star Wars
world, also the Marvel Comics world. Yes before you still needed some
permissions.

Before though a 'common' source existed in public domain which could be
used without a need to track down permission. Lucas had allowed for that
to some extent, Marvel Comics did the same and the fairy tales were the
same. People didn't fear a giant corporation coming after them with a
slew of copyright lawyers for making new aspect to something open
to everyone.

Granted folks do still create new stuff nonetheless in regards to
legality or not. There is a lot more paranoia in doing so now, though.
Enjoying the new creations, new ideas for stories by extension then
becomes all the more harder, limited.

Also what if this big corporation starts taking the myths into the
direction of all the 'good guys' actually being evil child molesters?
That's an exaggerated example but it illustrates something that could be
seen as wholesome being redirected by corporate interests. In doing
that, the corporation takes the fan base off into something the stories
totally were not meant to be.

That to me would insult the intellect of the fan/s, readers, audience/s.
It breaks the sacred unwritten contract between entertainer and the
entertained, the trust that a story will resolve in an at least somewhat
happy manner and you somewhat get what you expected for the investment.
Know that might sound unintelligent or difficult to grasp.

You buy a bar of Ivory soap, you expect it being Ivory soap in the
wrapper. Get it home and unwrap it, you got a bar of Irish Spring. Will
you go buy Ivory again? It breaks the trust a bit, then even more when
it continues to happen.

Sorry to be so long for something probably stated easier by others. It
takes me a bit at times as words can sometimes be troublesome for not
actually expressing the expression behind themselves, getting in the
way. I also need curb passion at times and resonate more reason.
*chuckles* Or, I wind up sounding like one of those old curmudgeon guys
called granddads and saying, "well, piss ...". :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Morning fugee's.

Been thinking, its a new year so everyone needs to find some new and exciting ways to GFY.

:D

I'm taking up employment as a bullet proof vest test dummy. ;) :) :p I'll sneak that one by the boss lady. Tell her I'm out running errands for the battered ladies shelter or some such. Riiight, I'm so sure she'll buy that.

ETA:

I actually did do something kind of new. I had a long heartfelt
discussion with my sixteen year old nephew. I had to deal with being
cussed at by a jerk neighbor and in regards to my dogs.

I had been working all day upon cinching up the dog pen, keeping them
penned. Neighbor flew into his driveway, hopped out of his truck cussing
me without knowing I had been doing this. It's kind of stupid I need to
anyway, as his chickens getting out and getting killed is on him
actually.

Anyway, I was in royally high spirits with a notion that if he killed my
dog/s I would need the peace officers here to restrain myself. It dawned
on my nephew faces similar anger problems. He needs to know he's not
alone.

So, I told him as much. Told him I didn't speak up often fearing to
overstep boundaries, and often needing to sort my own self out. Wound up
giving him five and having him lean in and give me a big hug of relief
and gratitude.

Told him, "I'm your uncle and to me that means family, we need to be
here for each other. I know it might seem I don't give a shit by keeping
some distance. Well, the exact opposite is the truth, I give a lot of
shit but I have to be careful." I think he understood without me
expressing disagreement in what I sense from his mom and dad.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's sort of like here with Prism TV. It's offered 3 miles away but not available at my house. If I could get Prism, then I could bundle it and my internet and pay just a little more than what I'm paying for satellite alone.

Go round for a mile round where you live, see if you can get at least ten folks to sign for getting it. That's what we did to get the DSL what stopped a few miles away. Seems the big companies like ten per square mile as an ROI ratio with stuff like that.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes ma'am! When the SAT was standing there tonight telling me about that point y'all don't know how bad I wanted to tell him to GFY! :giggle:
Saw on the news last night that bully bosses are bad for your health, as well as bad for business. I had an absolute bitch for a boss for about 7 years. I’m on a different team now, and life is great. This woman actually tried to get me fired for taking time off to take care of my dying mother. Never told me about FMLA. (Someone else did and when I brought her the paperwork I should have taken a pic of her disgruntled face!)She also demanded she “proof read” all my outgoing emails and would tell me to make changes (that were grammatically incorrect). She would deny my requests for doctor apts while allowing other employees to take 6 weeks off in a row for vacation. I have pages and pages of documentation as I was planning to file a lawsuit, but ended up getting off her team and now having a fantastic boss. I’ve been blessed through the years. This woman is the ONLY bad supervisor I’ve ever had, so, I guess if you subtract those 7 years from all the years I’ve been working, it’s not too bad. But man, what a horrible boss she was. The list of things she did to mean is very long. Why did I stay? Because, the money was good and I was paying for my son to go to college. I did apply for other jobs, but didn’t get any of them. So I just stuck with it. So, I hope things change for you Lynn. It's an awful place to be.
Ok, off the soapbox. Have a fantastic day fugees!

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morning fugees...:wave:

@Atchafalaya My SAT is one of the nicer bosses I work with. The coordinator in one of the cells I feed is the real bitch at work. She enlisted the aid of one of the supervisors there to actually have me fired the first 3 weeks I was on her line. Her and that supervisor went to HR every single day with some grievance about me. Of course, I was doing the same thing with my temp rep, complaining about them. She bragged that she had gotten rid of 12 line feeders last year and all 12 of them stated that they had problems with her. I refused to kiss her ass, still do and she doesn't like that. Anyway, her and that supervisor's tactics didn't work. The supervisor was fired and I'm still there. Permanent even. :giggle:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Morning fugees...:wave:

@Atchafalaya My SAT is one of the nicer bosses I work with. The coordinator in one of the cells I feed is the real bitch at work. She enlisted the aid of one of the supervisors there to actually have me fired the first 3 weeks I was on her line. Her and that supervisor went to HR every single day with some grievance about me. Of course, I was doing the same thing with my temp rep, complaining about them. She bragged that she had gotten rid of 12 line feeders last year and all 12 of them stated that they had problems with her. I refused to kiss her ass, still do and she doesn't like that. Anyway, her and that supervisor's tactics didn't work. The supervisor was fired and I'm still there. Permanent even. :giggle:
Dang!
Ok, I just ordered some t-sal. I didn't know anything about this so thanks for letting me know. Oh I hope it works!!!! I didn't put any oil on my head last night since I had to work today and needed sleep.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yep; we were paying Comcast $252/mo for TV/phone/internet... which is why we got DirecTV! Now it's about $140/mo. :)

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you get just the shampoo or did you get the conditioner too? I had to shampoo Laura's hair, let it sit for 5 minutes on her scalp, rinse then do the same thing with the conditioner. After a couple of weeks of using this stuff 2-3 times a week, the scales started coming off. Her scalp felt like a lizard it was so scaly. I could peel it up with my fingernails but of course that hurt her so I wouldn't do it often. I hope it works for you! :hug:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did you get just the shampoo or did you get the conditioner too? I had to shampoo Laura's hair, let it sit for 5 minutes on her scalp, rinse then do the same thing with the conditioner. After a couple of weeks of using this stuff 2-3 times a week, the scales started coming off. Her scalp felt like a lizard it was so scaly. I could peel it up with my fingernails but of course that hurt her so I wouldn't do it often. I hope it works for you! :hug:
I only got the shampoo. The conditioner was expensive. Hmmmmm. I wonder if I need the conditioner too for it to work.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Here is what the cable company told me. The deal I have is good for 12 months. They told me to call them in 12 months and tell them to cancel my TV service, that way they can offer me the new deals.

I get all the HBO channels as well as the Cinemax and showtimes ones for an additional $20 a month but think I am gonna shut that off. Nothing ever worth watching on them.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I thought the commercials said you were supposed to call the doctor if your banana stayed firm for more than a couple hours.

Sours? Why do you want to add sour mash to a Nanna smoothie? Don't you know all it needs is a splash of rum?

ETA: Morely sitting here pondering which he likes better, a Goon or a Narda. He thinks such a choice ought to be dubbed cruel & unusual punishment. He is grateful though of having a choice despite this all and thinks that is the key of life. :)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sours? Why do you want to add sour mash to a Nanna smoothie? Don't you know all it needs is a splash of rum?

ETA: Morely sitting here pondering which he likes better, a Goon or a Narda. He thinks such a choice ought to be dubbed cruel & unusual punishment. He is grateful though of having a choice despite this all and thinks that is the key of life. :)
Why should you have to decide? Just like em both. They are very different vapes but I like em both.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why should you have to decide? Just like em both. They are very different vapes but I like em both.

I am sure you realize the obviousness in your reply. You are correct in
more ways than face value. Never have chosen between two such notions,
in anything or means.

So, I agree. There's no reason to choose one or another. It is fine to
like and enjoy both.

Nice to know I at least have something right after this evening. Had a
couple of our dogs taken by the dog warden. All the paper work claims
cruelity and neglect but that isn't why we we're told they got taken.

I understand the why. I am disagreeing though over the situation of it.
Too much of it seems to run foul of what I know is right.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team