ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
yeah my recommendation as well however no guarantees since no current ratings listed on USB cables.

when my wife was laid up in the hospital I for a USB extender cable for her to charge her Kindle fire and phone with.
Heck, the kindle fire would barley charge thru the extender cable.

Kindles are finicky as hell on USB chargers

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are seriously a PITA about the cables though - it's the number one thing I would change about my kindle if possible

Not so tricking fussy about the cable :mad:
but the micro USB connector in my kindles holds up well. I have one of the first Fires that came out and it still works great.
It did lock up once and would not reset, etc.
I took it apart, unplugged the lipo pack plugged it back in and worked fine ever since.

bought a spare kindle for $50 on sale last year.
The operating system, browser and such are different.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
They are seriously a PITA about the cables though - it's the number one thing I would change about my kindle if possible

Not so tricking fussy about the cable :mad:

Same thing with Ipads.

If you want to know what the hell is going on when charging and tell right away if you have a crap cable get one of these:

DSC_5080.jpg

Only about five bucks. Reads both voltage and current drain.

The Xtar version is quite accurate. Some of the ones at FT? No so much.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same thing with Ipads.

If you want to know what the hell is going on when charging and tell right away if you have a crap cable get one of these:

DSC_5080.jpg

Only about five bucks. Reads both voltage and current drain.

The Xtar version is quite accurate. Some of the ones at FT? No so much.
That does not give the voltage at the far end of the usb cable, which is the entire issue.
Voltage drop because the wire gauge is too small.

one to fit the micro USB end now would be helpful.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That does not give the voltage at the far end of the usb cable, which is the entire issue.
Voltage drop because the wire gauge is too small.

one to fit the micro USB end now would be helpful.

If it was voltage drop your cable would be getting really really hot. Or at least really really warm.

I'm not ripping cables apart to find out what's in there. All I know is: Same USB power supply, same device to be charged. One supposedly "smart" cable gets to a fast and furious 2 amp drain and a big voltage drop. With the other cable the device barely draws 800 mA with a significantly less voltage drop.

Don't think any difference between one end of the cable and the other in that scenario would be relevant. The charger (aka "device") can't read the power supply voltage - correctly if at all - and the only thing between the two is the cable. The default is to dumb down the current drain in that situation.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cant mess with it right now. Too much pain and disorientation.
Get into it maybe tomorrow.
Btw I am a certified electronics tech.
Brainz just not working well right now.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watched that too - brought back weird memories

I liked the Monkees hawking Kool Aid and the Good Year tire commercial that postulates a woman couldn't possibly change a tire

I know how, I just can't lift the fucking things. They weigh a goddamned ton!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cant mess with it right now. Too much pain and disorientation.
Get into it maybe tomorrow.
Btw I am a certified electronics tech.
Brainz just not working well right now.

empathies and sympathies. I've had so many of those fuckers... I think the only worse pain I've felt was the appendicitis; labor pains weren't as bad as an abscessed tooth -- labor comes and goes, a minute of pain, a minute off, etc... abscessed tooth goes on and on and on until it either dies, gets pulled, or you get novocaine and a root canal.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was busy all afternoon and evening, but my desk now resides in my bedroom, and the new rolltop has been put in place where mine used to be. It's great, it doesn't take nearly as much room as my desk did. :)

But after dealing with 5.5 yrs of dust, I told my husband, let's not do this again until/unless we get ready to fucking MOVE!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
empathies and sympathies. I've had so many of those fuckers... I think the only worse pain I've felt was the appendicitis; labor pains weren't as bad as an abscessed tooth -- labor comes and goes, a minute of pain, a minute off, etc... abscessed tooth goes on and on and on until it either dies, gets pulled, or you get novocaine and a root canal.

Andria
Ahh my first. I have built up a pretty good pain tolerance over the years with my back issues, a few kidney stones, etc.

This one demands attention.

Thank Zorg for some left over oxycodone pills we had.
Hitting dentist, urgent treatment or somewhere in the AM to get antibiotics and pain pills. At least that is what I expect them to do for me.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ahh my first. I have built up a pretty good pain tolerance over the years with my back issues, a few kidney stones, etc.

This one demands attention.

Thank Zorg for some left over oxycodone pills we had.
Hitting dentist, urgent treatment or somewhere in the AM to get antibiotics and pain pills. At least that is what I expect them to do for me.

Don't go to Atcha's doc, that is for sure!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ordered some Real Flavors flavoring today.
Creme Brulee
Cinnamon Custard
And got 3 free 1 oz bottles of flavoring.
Lemon cookie
strawberry lemonade
Tropical punch.

$21 I think for the lot of 1 oz bottles of super concentrated flavoring.
Including shipping, they are not real cheap on shipping but not horrible

I really just started for the Creme Brulee. Addy Tuney raves about it.
Just it and shipping was going to cost me about $11...
done spending birthday money on vape stuff now.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Apologies, going to set out a small bag of garbage. <sarcasm> I genuinely love how job searching sites, send you in circles around to several other job search sites, try selling you college degrees, not showing you the actual job listing. </sarcasm> Alright, that was my small bag of garbage. :)

Yes, been looking at job search sites. Found a job that I would like save for one minor detail, they require work atop of rail cars. Not so much afraid of heights as fearing the sudden stop of a fall. Also, it runs on 12 hour shifts with Swing/Rotating weeks, i.e one week Noon to Midnight, next week Midnight to Noon and so on.

The job itself is material handling, warehouse associate, lift operator. It leads into being classified as inland longshoreman. This I would like save for such aspects as having to work atop rail cars & having sleep cycles go wonky. Of course, my wife points out they are wonky anyway.

Planted some garlic, fennel, green beans this evening. We debated this evening or waiting until after the 10th, last hard frost. Figured everything will be covered and safe, went on this evening. The fennel I put part out here around the house, part down in the dog pen. Fennel helps dogs by being nasty to fleas and ticks. Dogs realize this and walk in, roll in it. The bit around the house is for Shrek, our little house dog. The pen fennel is for the Hellions. They're all nearly horses now. :)

We had a surprise inspection by the dog warden / human shelter last few days. I was honest, the dogs had gotten out of the pen once since we got them back, they did however go to my FIL's and stayed there under supervision. He phoned down, let us know, i was out nearly instantly and rounded them up. Fixed their "escape route" so as to keep them secured & got them penned back up. The lady doing the inspection smiled, "not worried too much. You said they were supervised, you contained them again. The dogs aren't the problem as long as .." I stopped her with a smile and a nod toward the neighbor's. She smiled back in acknowledgement.

Well, that's been roughly our grand recent experiences in paradise. Ye Ha. :|

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
ordered some Real Flavors flavoring today.
Creme Brulee
Cinnamon Custard
And got 3 free 1 oz bottles of flavoring.
Lemon cookie
strawberry lemonade
Tropical punch.

$21 I think for the lot of 1 oz bottles of super concentrated flavoring.
Including shipping, they are not real cheap on shipping but not horrible

I really just started for the Creme Brulee. Addy Tuney raves about it.
Just it and shipping was going to cost me about $11...
done spending birthday money on vape stuff now.

Got a few of their super concentrates awhile back when they had a ridiculous sale - but haven't tried them yet

Must try the peanut brittle soon

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just need to spend a day mixing - did some last night

Tried some new recipes, some were knockouts
Yep same here need to get to mixin.

All my mixing aspirations got sidelined by all the damn furniture moving today. And the dust removal, which was naturally the worst part. *sigh*

Couple of neat things though... a) I FINALLY got my printer working on wi-fi, now that it's no longer RIGHT NEXT to a damn microwave! :giggle: So now I can probably print from my phone, too. :) And b) I finally got my PC set to "sleep" when I close the lid, which I never bothered with before, since it wasn't in my bedroom, I just let the screensaver blank it, but that would leave too much light in the screen, for a bedroom.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Meh. It's payday (yay), so I had to get up early (boo hiss) though I didn't get much sleep. I think I was too physically tired, and my back hurts, after helping the ol man move this desk into my room. Whodathunk particle-board could weigh so damn much! I foresee a nap this afternoon, especially since it's a rainy day.

Oh, I ordered another USB-C cable last night, so I can charge my phone either in here, when I'm sitting in here, or in the kitchen when I'm in there -- I never bring my phone into the bedroom when I go to bed, simply because I don't wanna be bothered by anything if I'm sleeping.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got NO sleep, have a dentist appt at 1:30...
At the local little shop of horrors.

I had one of the most interesting experiences of my life, one time while suffering a "hot" abscess and trying to get some sleep.... I was lying there, moaning in pain periodically, on the couch so I didn't bother my husband (in the years before we had separate bedrooms)... Reached up to my jaw where it hurt so bad (it was a lower canine), and JUST BARELY touched my skin with my fingers -- it was just enough of a touch to allow a mild static shock from my hand to my face -- the pain vanished in an instant, just miraculously GONE. The dentist opined that the static charge had shorted out the dying nerve, interrupting the pain signal. Whatever it was, I was grateful as all hell, and managed to go to sleep.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had one of the most interesting experiences of my life, one time while suffering a "hot" abscess and trying to get some sleep.... I was lying there, moaning in pain periodically, on the couch so I didn't bother my husband (in the years before we had separate bedrooms)... Reached up to my jaw where it hurt so bad (it was a lower canine), and JUST BARELY touched my skin with my fingers -- it was just enough of a touch to allow a mild static shock from my hand to my face -- the pain vanished in an instant, just miraculously GONE. The dentist opined that the static charge had shorted out the dying nerve, interrupting the pain signal. Whatever it was, I was grateful as all hell, and managed to go to sleep.

Andria
REALLY? Damn! off to get a fork and play with an electrical outlet.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Toaster is a classic

I actually had a roomie once that did that.

heard a big girly scream from the kitchen a big snap and a crash. He came running out.
Went in there toaster was on floor with burned toast in it and a fork was actually stuck into the ceiling.

he never lived that one down. :)

Just so classic. wish I had actually seen it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The cats are outside and a bit damp right now....
Hard to make static in 90% humidity....

So off to the electrical outlet..

Ohh wait I have a fence charger...

Put something nylon in the clothes-dryer and let it go around for 5-10 mins, that should generate a good charge (that won't kill you!). :)

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put something nylon in the clothes-dryer and let it go around for 5-10 mins, that should generate a good charge (that won't kill you!). :)

Andria
Just no luck at all. the little kitties are in the basement somewhere near the clothes dryer.
I hear them mewlling from time to time. so off to the laundromat later..
This is the first laundromat deal for me in decades.
Went last week and it was a horrible laundromat, going to a different one this time...
the laundromat had a no pets sign or 3 on the walls.
Heck it was bad I would not want my pets in there.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just no luck at all. the little kitties are in the basement somewhere near the clothes dryer.
I hear them mewlling from time to time. so off to the laundromat later..
This is the first laundromat deal for me in decades.
Went last week and it was a horrible laundromat, going to a different one this time...
the laundromat had a no pets sign or 3 on the walls.
Heck it was bad I would not want my pets in there.

Hmm... got any balloons? Rubbing a balloon on carpet generates a lot of static.

Ain't it funny though... all us computer freaks and geeks live in dread of static... so when we actually WANT it, it's hard as hell to generate! :giggle:

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm... got any balloons? Rubbing a balloon on carpet generates a lot of static.

Ain't it funny though... all us computer freaks and geeks live in dread of static... so when we actually WANT it, it's hard as hell to generate! :giggle:

Andria
Only time we get static here in KY is during a really cold spell in winter.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ahh My vanilla custard vape goes really well with my breakfast of a large glass of Nestles quick.
liquid diet. NO teeth banging together....

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ahh My vanilla custard vape goes really well with my breakfast of a large glass of Nestles quick.
liquid diet. NO teeth banging together....

I'll see your Nestle Quick and raise you a Zico chocolate coconut water. ;)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OHH GAG on flavored water.

It's really not like water at all, it's more like chocolate milk... though it's just a little thin, so I mix 4/5 coco water with 1/5 chocolate milk, to give it more body... and chocolate milk is fairly high in potassium too, and higher in calcium than the coco water.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's really not like water at all, it's more like chocolate milk... though it's just a little thin, so I mix 4/5 coco water with 1/5 chocolate milk, to give it more body... and chocolate milk is fairly high in potassium too, and higher in calcium than the coco water.

Andria
Just GAG.
heck I put 5 tablespoons of quick in a pint jar of milk.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I tried coconut water not that long ago

It wasn't as horrid as I imagined it would be - as I don't like the taste of coconuts - but it was the kind of thing I had to make myself finish it off

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried coconut water not that long ago

It wasn't as horrid as I imagined it would be - as I don't like the taste of coconuts - but it was the kind of thing I had to make myself finish it off

All by itself, unflavored coconut water is horrible, I can't drink it. With plain, I mix in pineapple juice, but that plays hell with my mouth, so I usually much prefer the Zico chocolate coconut water, with chocolate milk mixed in. The chocolate coconut water is very cocoa-y, so it works well to mix it 4/5 to 1/5 as I do.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
All by itself, unflavored coconut water is horrible, I can't drink it. With plain, I mix in pineapple juice, but that plays hell with my mouth, so I usually much prefer the Zico chocolate coconut water, with chocolate milk mixed in. The chocolate coconut water is very cocoa-y, so it works well to mix it 4/5 to 1/5 as I do.

Andria

I'm not allowed to have any kind of juice and no sugar

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That stinks, I wouldn't survive a week with zero sugar. Too many things I like to eat have at least some sugar. :hug:

No shit.. if a doc ever told me I had to completely quit sugar, I'd go directly home and kill myself. I can live without (most) drugs... I can live without alcohol, and even without cigarettes as long as I vape, but sugar? No fucking way. I don't hate the taste of sucralose, but artificial sweeteners play hell with your gut health, so the only sucralose I ever use is that in my vape (and not very damn much of that either, lately).

Andria

VU Sponsors