ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Dang, I just burned the bejesus out of my tongue - tea tricked me into believing it was not still scalding hot :mad:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Afternoon fugee's :)

Been getting rain all week it seems and some nasty stuff. Today is a mere %20 chance and what does it do, fricking gully washer :( At least I got some grass cut earlier today. Rascal is back at his mommys so I have a chance to get some stuff done around here without puppy eyes every time I try to leave him inside while I try do something :teehee:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been getting rain all week it seems and some nasty stuff. Today is a mere %20 chance and what does it do, fricking gully washer :( At least I got some grass cut earlier today. Rascal is back at his mommys so I have a chance to get some stuff done around here without puppy eyes every time I try to leave him inside while I try do something :teehee:

Add 50% to the X% the idiot, or gal on the boob box says. It's always gonna be 50% chance it'll rain/snow/sleet/hail. :) :p 50% + 20% = 70% chance you're getting the precipitation. Double that if barometer pressure is over a dew point of 30%. Least ways that's rough how it works here.

FIL let me off the hook on mowing down by the creek. He owned up to it being the weather. it was either too hot, or too wet, raining. He told me come last of Autumn he'll go out before Spring springs, torch it off. All of it will have died out to being dry. It'll puff off quick, won't get out of hand. He'll watch to be sure there's no real wind to speak of to do it.

I tried fussing with him and told him having said I'd do it felt bad not getting to it. he just shook his head. "Wasn't you controlling the weather."

You need an afghan blanket or two? I'm afixin to get back into knitting. Figure I can maybe do some here to sell in the complex. Might do some to give away.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Can you guys believe this :poop:

Some schools are installing vape detectors in the bathrooms o_O

Juul built an e-cigarette empire. Its popularity with teens ... - CNBC.com

Efforts to curb cigarette smoking have been so successful that the rate of high schoolers who smoke cigarettes dropped to a record-low 8.8 percent last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Youth Risk Behavior Survey.

That's a drop off of 27.6%. That is over one quarter, 25%. And it is 21 since 1997, roughly 1.31% drop per year. Granted that annual figure might not seem much but it is over 1% per year for 21 years consistently. All the preaching and anti-smoking PSAs damn sure were not attaining that rate of decrease on their own. Gee, now lets see percentages for adults. I bet the CDC would have such info, even if the FDA tries to bury it. Recall too anyone can submit a FOIA request.

On average, the detectors send 10 alerts per day, said Plainedge Public High Schools Superintendent Ed Salina.
“Word is spreading, so that has deterred them a little bit,” he said. “But the truth is it’s just another mechanism we’re using to provide us with intelligence to manage students and help them choose."

Yes, sure. Right, you mean it's more surveillance put in place to ensure others tow the line of the Man. You'll help them choose alright, they can do it your way or the highway I would imagine. Fucking fascist goose stepping bullshit if ever it gets called.

Bet if they were using Mark 10 (PMI) or Blu (IMB) units there would be no concern at all. IMB is Imperial Brands plc. which was Imperial tobacco Group plc, they own what once was R.J. Reynolds cigarettes, Winstons as well as Kools, Salems. You can go after a smaller and independent innovator because well, they're smaller and you can milk the money out of them to run them out of business. This can then be held up as "look what we've done, helped spared the children".

Meanwhile it also sends a clear message that once again, Big Tobacco reigns the market. You call for innovation but when it genuinely comes you tear it down and trample it under your goose stepping boots. This message tells the vaping industry, Big Tobacco has to get their palms greased or your product won't exist. How so? Well you're going after anyone but Big Tobacco.

Saw similar happen with the Testosterone I use. I used to get 25 ml sized bottles that could last me two months, the testosterone was in intramuscular ethane oil (sesame oil). That 25 ml bottle ran about $25 too. I could go and pay a buck to our local Health Dept, let a nurse poke my rump every six weeks.

That didn't do, one major producer of testosterone in the U.S. played hard ball and ran all others out of business here. Then, the FDA regulated it so much that you could only use US based and produced testosterone, but oh no the government could not be seen to support or otherwise give a leg up to any one company. It just happened that only one company remained that met regulations. Now, I need to apply a gel daily.

"It works more effectively using the gel, ..." Sure, each little 5 g packet of gel I use costs $90.00. I get a box of 30 per month, go figure, and unfortunately in my case Medicaid has to buy it for me. Even had I a 'half-decent' paying job, I'd not afford it because private sector insurance would disqualify my treatment as pre-existing 1, and it would only cover around 10% of cost as it's deemed merely quality of life medication for 2.

I literally would need to do without a place to live, food to eat, clothing all to have access to a medication the doctors tell me, I must remain on the rest of my natural life. If I go off of it again I get baby bones, bones turn to rubber. might sound fun and all until you consider the more serious implications of that. Might not breathe as my ribs would collapse in on my lungs.

The same will happen in the vaping market, over regulation all in the name of 'protecting your health and futures'. Then, you'll see Big Tobacco burn from the inside out and consolidate down to one monopoly company that runs it all. Ah, but just gotta "save the children". How about you simply enforce the laws on the books for tobacco nationally, laws what already exist. No children under 18 years can buy tobacco. Matter of fact o really protect them why not make it 21 and 21 the age for drafted and enlisting in military service? That way they need to be adults to do any of it.

Nah, can't be so simple and direct. Got to let it go round the bush so nobody can see the bullshit being ran. "Don't look over here, we're not greasing Big Tobacco's palms." B.O.H.I.C.A, B.O.H.I.C.A Guess it's Charlie Foxtrot of Snafu company no matter what.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had the WEIRDEST dream last night, er, this morning...

I had one a few days/nights ago. It was rather erotic. We've a guy three to four doors down and he has this dust mop of a dog. The guy looks rather cute to me. Suppose my mind decided to fill in the blanks and he shows up in a dream. Me and him seemed to get along rather well in that dream, too. Sorry if TMI. Oddly I reckon that means i still have that strange beast Hope, because yeah, I happen to still dream.

Can you guys believe this :poop:

That :poop: is ungatz, careful. We pile that up in a hole it makes another universe. Don't let the secret out. All those idiots needing everything got it all wrong, you got to need nothing.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I literally would need to do without a place to live, food to eat, clothing all to have access to a medication the doctors tell me, I must remain on the rest of my natural life.

This is precisely why I don't have insurance -- I really like eating, and having a roof over my head! -- and since I have to use asthma meds every day just to BREATHE, thank god for GSK's "patient assistance program" (which used to be called Bridges to Access; I like the old name better), so I can get my VERY expensive asthma meds gratis. The Ventolin (rescue inhaler) alone is $80 each, lasts about 3 wks. Hate to imagine the price of Advair; it's got TWO active ingredients! :facepalm:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I'm a bit peeved. Got my new glasses today. It's great being able to see at a distance again, and using the top part for that is very similar to looking over the top of cheaters, so that's great. And the reading glasses part at the bottom, very sharp, similar to the 4-diopter ones i use for really up-close stuff like plucking my eyebrows -- but neither top nor bottom is right for the 18-ish inches to my monitor. :headbang: If I pull the monitor forward about 8 inches and lean way forward till I'm about 6 inches from it, and cock my head backward, then it's fine... but obviously that's not workable,. so I guess I'm stuck with cheaters when I'm at the PC. So I go online to try to find some high-quality diopter 3.75's... and discover that GA restricts anything over 3.25 diopter. Fuckers. I did find some 3.75's on ebay, and no problem checking out, but I have to wonder how good the quality of the lenses are, since they're $7.99 for 4 pairs. Hopefully good enough for PC-only use. I'll have to get a chain to wear my *real* glasses, the way I used to wear my cheaters before I just started wearing them all the time.

Andria

ETA: apparently I can't estimate distance for shit; it's actually about 30 inches from my eyes to the screen. :facepalm:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I'm a bit peeved. Got my new glasses today. It's great being able to see at a distance again, and using the top part for that is very similar to looking over the top of cheaters, so that's great. And the reading glasses part at the bottom, very sharp, similar to the 4-diopter ones i use for really up-close stuff like plucking my eyebrows -- but neither top nor bottom is right for the 18-ish inches to my monitor. :headbang: If I pull the monitor forward about 8 inches and lean way forward till I'm about 6 inches from it, and cock my head backward, then it's fine... but obviously that's not workable,. so I guess I'm stuck with cheaters when I'm at the PC. So I go online to try to find some high-quality diopter 3.75's... and discover that GA restricts anything over 3.25 diopter. Fuckers. I did find some 3.75's on ebay, and no problem checking out, but I have to wonder how good the quality of the lenses are, since they're $7.99 for 4 pairs. Hopefully good enough for PC-only use. I'll have to get a chain to wear my *real* glasses, the way I used to wear my cheaters before I just started wearing them all the time.

Andria

ETA: apparently I can't estimate distance for shit; it's actually about 30 inches from my eyes to the screen. :facepalm:
I order mine from Zenni Optical. For the computer glasses, I just subtract .5.
upload_2018-8-7_14-38-11.png

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I don't see on their site where you specify the diopter you want... so I can't check if they abide by the ridiculous GA law about diopters over 3.25 -- 3.25 would do nothing for me, I need 3.75 to see the PC at 30" away, and apparently really do need the equivalent of "4" diopter for reading.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't see on their site where you specify the diopter you want... so I can't check if they abide by the ridiculous GA law about diopters over 3.25 -- 3.25 would do nothing for me, I need 3.75 to see the PC at 30" away, and apparently really do need the equivalent of "4" diopter for reading.

Andria
Mine is just for near Vision. My far sight is 20/20

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Andria

Must need glasses!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wear the Dollar General $5 +1 glasses for reading :) If I ever try to get my medical back so I can fly again, which as much medicine as I am on the FAA will never give me their blessing, then I will go get prescription glasses again. Until such time I find no reason for them yet.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening fugee's and GFY :p

%20 chance of rain today and its rumbling its ass off outside. Good thing Rascal isnt here or I would be holding his paw and telling him he is safe, the big bad thunder wont hurt him. He always been a big scared baby with weather :teehee:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wear the Dollar General $5 +1 glasses for reading :) If I ever try to get my medical back so I can fly again, which as much medicine as I am on the FAA will never give me their blessing, then I will go get prescription glasses again. Until such time I find no reason for them yet.

+1? ROFL. I started out at 1.25 when I was 38. Eyes have gone downhill badly since then.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Evening fugee's and GFY :p

%20 chance of rain today and its rumbling its ass off outside. Good thing Rascal isnt here or I would be holding his paw and telling him he is safe, the big bad thunder wont hurt him. He always been a big scared baby with weather :teehee:

We had another day of "haha fooled you!" weather -- they said a 60% chance of rain starting around 2pm... it never rained a drop all day. Sunny most all day, with occasional clouds that came and went. I had to go get my glasses so I kept the cat in, and she was NOT amused; hopefully I can let her out tomorrow.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
+1? ROFL. I started out at 1.25 when I was 38. Eyes have gone downhill badly since then.

Andria

I can see distance just fine, and I can see the computer usually fine. At times if im really squinty eyed for some reason or other it gets hard to read small print on the laptop :p but reading anything in my hands or doing anything thats small and detailed, nope, not gonna see it no matter how hard I squint. So the +1 or even the +1.25 work fine for me.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can see distance just fine, and I can see the computer usually fine. At times if im really squinty eyed for some reason or other it gets hard to read small print on the laptop :p but reading anything in my hands or doing anything thats small and detailed, nope, not gonna see it no matter how hard I squint. So the +1 or even the +1.25 work fine for me.

I'm mildly nearsighted, but I've done without any correction for it since I was in my teens. But lately, when I'd take off my reading glasses to drive, things seemed kinda blurry; with the new glasses, I'm seeing shit I had no idea was there. :D Nice watching TV too!!! :) :) :) (Alex Trebek has a lot more wrinkles than I realized!) :D :D :D But my arms got too short when I was 38, so I got the 1.25's... it's been downhill for the last 19 yrs.

I guess it'll just take some getting used to, with the bifocals. So far, I still need my cheaters for the PC screen as I mentioned, and also, strangely, when I'm cooking, because there's such a variance of distances involved in doing so many things at once. Those cheaters I ordered from ebay were shipped late this afternoon, so I'll definitely have them by their guaranteed date of Sat the 11th. :) I feel safer now, less worried that I'll somehow destroy or irreparably damage the sole pair of 3.75's I have now. I just can't believe that GA would pass a stupid law like that. I DID pay $377 for some damn real glasses, so the eye docs got their lb of flesh, but i STILL need the damn 3.75's to fill in the gaps!

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm mildly nearsighted, but I've done without any correction for it since I was in my teens. But lately, when I'd take off my reading glasses to drive, things seemed kinda blurry; with the new glasses, I'm seeing shit I had no idea was there. :D Nice watching TV too!!! :) :) :) (Alex Trebek has a lot more wrinkles than I realized!) :D :D :D But my arms got too short when I was 38, so I got the 1.25's... it's been downhill for the last 19 yrs.

I guess it'll just take some getting used to, with the bifocals. So far, I still need my cheaters for the PC screen as I mentioned, and also, strangely, when I'm cooking, because there's such a variance of distances involved in doing so many things at once. Those cheaters I ordered from ebay were shipped late this afternoon, so I'll definitely have them by their guaranteed date of Sat the 11th. :) I feel safer now, less worried that I'll somehow destroy or irreparably damage the sole pair of 3.75's I have now. I just can't believe that GA would pass a stupid law like that. I DID pay $377 for some damn real glasses, so the eye docs got their lb of flesh, but i STILL need the damn 3.75's to fill in the gaps!

Andria

Trifocals time

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is precisely why I don't have insurance -- I really like eating, and having a roof over my head! -- and since I have to use asthma meds every day just to BREATHE, thank god for GSK's "patient assistance program" (which used to be called Bridges to Access; I like the old name better), so I can get my VERY expensive asthma meds gratis. The Ventolin (rescue inhaler) alone is $80 each, lasts about 3 wks. Hate to imagine the price of Advair; it's got TWO active ingredients! :facepalm:

Andria

Really simplified view expressed here. Our world at large is absolutely fucked up. It has to be when a person can be forced to pay to draw breath. This isn't something I have only just discovered but something I've known from early on in life. Excuse me if I've not written a novel here. :) Might be trying to elsewhere, or at least some poetry or jotting down journaling exercises. That and I'm kind of watching the outward flow as matter of course. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We have been in a drought. We finally have a chance for some rain this week. Crossing my fingers.

Here's something I'll voice in public. This is one of those things I think of as a "well duh" thought. You got different parts suffering from fires, droughts. You got other parts suffering floods. Gee, why not take the excess water from flooded areas and use it in fire & drought struck areas? Sure, I understand there would be an expense doing it, but compared to human life, what expense could there be? Guess I think all screwy, ergo I go to mental health therapy.

Ah, well duh on me. I even said it, ... our world is fucked up.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Trifocals time

Yeah and I hate to imagine what THOSE will cost. :facepalm: My son suggested that the next time I get glasses, I get the "progressive" kind of bifocals, without the line, but I dunno if that would help or not. If I didn't need to be saving up for a bigger fridge, I'd start saving for the laser eye surgery, because this shit with glasses is getting OLD. But since I'm both myopic and hyperopic AND have astigmatism, I'm not sure if even THAT would help. Sure theycould maybe correct whatever is wrong with my lenses that causes the myopia and hyperopia, but the astigmatism? I have doubts about that.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Really simplified view expressed here. Our world at large is absolutely fucked up. It has to be when a person can be forced to pay to draw breath. This isn't something I have only just discovered but something I've known from early on in life. Excuse me if I've not written a novel here. :) Might be trying to elsewhere, or at least some poetry or jotting down journaling exercises. That and I'm kind of watching the outward flow as matter of course. :)

Well, I'm not forced to pay, since I get my meds for free from GSK; they even discontinued asking me to submit a form 1040 to prove that I really am low-income; they still ask, and I answer truthfully, and also that I have no insurance, since I don't, and they re-enroll me every year. But at the point I heard about their program and got into it, Ventolin inhalers were about $45, and I was having a really hard time paying for them. Now they're $80. :facepalm: Only 5 yrs to go for the 17-yr patent on the HFA inhalers WITHOUT the alcohol taste. I can't use the generic HFA inhalers because they taste like grain alcohol... a really bad thing for a recovering alcoholic. I mean, if they're gonna taste like alcohol, at the very least they should flavor the things with BEER. :giggle: Grain alcohol without flavoring is VILE.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have progressive trifocals and like em.
I can see perfect out to about 1.5 feet without glasses ;)

Anything closer than the length of my arm, I can't see AT ALL, except as some big blurry thing. Once it's about 3 ft away, I can more or less focus on it; I was driving without glasses for the last 40 yrs. But it's nice to finally see distant details again. :)

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wished we had a drought here. I keep waiting for the grass to start drying up and slow down on growing like it usually does in the summer but with all this rain we been getting. its frickin lush and a pain in tha ass :p
You sound like my sister. She is constantly cutting grass lately and her neighbor walks over and tries to talk to her the whole time! lol

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
lol!!
Here's something I'll voice in public. This is one of those things I think of as a "well duh" thought. You got different parts suffering from fires, droughts. You got other parts suffering floods. Gee, why not take the excess water from flooded areas and use it in fire & drought struck areas? Sure, I understand there would be an expense doing it, but compared to human life, what expense could there be? Guess I think all screwy, ergo I go to mental health therapy.

Ah, well duh on me. I even said it, ... our world is fucked up.
A water pipeline! Yes!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We're finally getting that much-vaunted rain. But I did let the cat out during the day today, after her senseless incarceration yesterday. Since I got up kinda early today, she got to stay out all day! :)

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
We're finally getting that much-vaunted rain. But I did let the cat out during the day today, after her senseless incarceration yesterday. Since I got up kinda early today, she got to stay out all day! :)

Andria

How's she doing with Annabelle?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How's she doing with Annabelle?

Still hisses every time she sees her, pretty much. We do bring Annabel out and let them see each other every day, but Annabel is still too young to have the total run of the place; she gets into SOMETHING every single time she's out. :facepalm: Tuxie was never this troublesome, but she was about 3-4 yrs old before she had the run of the house. Kittens are just WILD. :giggle:

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Still hisses every time she sees her, pretty much. We do bring Annabel out and let them see each other every day, but Annabel is still too young to have the total run of the place; she gets into SOMETHING every single time she's out. :facepalm: Tuxie was never this troublesome, but she was about 3-4 yrs old before she had the run of the house. Kittens are just WILD. :giggle:

Andria

Thats what makes them so cute.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thats what makes them so cute.

One of the funniest and cutest things she does is that she's enamored of paper, so she'll grab something and look over her shoulder, the son will yell at her, and she takes off running like a cartoon cat. It's fucking hilarious. :giggle:

Andria

VU Sponsors