Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not really but can kinda look blue at the proper light and angle.

At least it is real grass, unlike that viney stuff they have in FL that dogs do not like to walk on.
The dogs get over it though.

I think it's called "centipede".. with good reason!

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wednesday going out for some kind of job fair event held by Manpower. They're looking for production line folk. Reckon I'll do what I can, need to do something even if it is wrong. Of course, I'm not holding breath as to getting on anywhere. Manpower might test me out as in "sorry you don't qualify." We'll see.

Update on this from the boss lady here. She checked out the position on offer. It is smaller unit of Toyota, Hino. They produce big trucks and components for Toyota pickups. She said it was too far out of range for us to consider me getting on just as a temp, even if it wound up as hire in full. Oh well.

Re: Squonking tubes - I usually run mine in some hot tap water, and/or isopropyl alcohol.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Y'all seen the updates on Hurricane Michael? CAT 4! Biggest hurricane to EVER hit that part of FL. Currently about to blow Panama City off the map. :facepalm: I have a sentimental attachment to that place, since we always took vacation there when I was a kid. Also, one of our good friends is from there, and all his family still live there, so I hope to hell they got evacuated.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Y'all seen the updates on Hurricane Michael? CAT 4! Biggest hurricane to EVER hit that part of FL. Currently about to blow Panama City off the map. :facepalm: I have a sentimental attachment to that place, since we always took vacation there when I was a kid. Also, one of our good friends is from there, and all his family still live there, so I hope to hell they got evacuated.

Andria

Its on land now. Yesterday it didnt look like it would really effect you but now me thinks your kitty girl will not be going outside for a lil while. :p

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a cold front moving in here in KY tonight that should keep Michael away from us.

October weather is coming here.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Its on land now. Yesterday it didnt look like it would really effect you but now me thinks your kitty girl will not be going outside for a lil while. :p

Yeah, I've been keeping her in since yesterday, because Monday she wouldn't come in when I called her -- she knows better than that! She's frisky today; everytime she sees me come out of my room to go turn the bacon, she sprints for the garage, like she thinks that will help. :D I just laugh at her. By Fri or Sat when this shit is outta here, she's not going to be liking me one bit. :D

In other news... the 1.5ml seems to do ok in the Caiman; I might try edging it up a little. My 2 others shipped today -- I also included a translucent top cap that's made for the Caiman, which should also help. I always wanted one of those for the Achilles, but finally just got used to the 2.5ml. Not sure how the current holiday will affect the shipping, but at least it's on its way.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I've been keeping her in since yesterday, because Monday she wouldn't come in when I called her -- she knows better than that! She's frisky today; everytime she sees me come out of my room to go turn the bacon, she sprints for the garage, like she thinks that will help. :D I just laugh at her. By Fri or Sat when this shit is outta here, she's not going to be liking me one bit. :D

In other news... the 1.5ml seems to do ok in the Caiman; I might try edging it up a little. My 2 others shipped today -- I also included a translucent top cap that's made for the Caiman, which should also help. I always wanted one of those for the Achilles, but finally just got used to the 2.5ml. Not sure how the current holiday will affect the shipping, but at least it's on its way.

Andria

She is a kitty, of course she ignored ya and didnt come in. Kittys do not listen to mere mortals like us :p

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
She is a kitty, of course she ignored ya and didnt come in. Kittys do not listen to mere mortals like us :p

Usually she comes when I call her, because she KNOWS that if she doesn't, then the next day, she doesn't get to go out. She's not a kitten, she's 7 yrs old, and pretty damn intelligent -- I'll tell her, "stay close to the house, it might rain and i might need to call you in," and she gives me a meow, like "Ok mom." But sometimes has an ornery streak. Because she's a cat. :D But I'm still mom, and she has to stay in if I don't open the door. ;)

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Usually she comes when I call her, because she KNOWS that if she doesn't, then the next day, she doesn't get to go out. She's not a kitten, she's 7 yrs old, and pretty damn intelligent -- I'll tell her, "stay close to the house, it might rain and i might need to call you in," and she gives me a meow, like "Ok mom." But sometimes has an ornery streak. Because she's a cat. :D But I'm still mom, and she has to stay in if I don't open the door. ;)

Andria

I was a kitty papa for many many years and was given the "go to hell" look many times, ignored many times and looked down upon many times but when she wanted her pappy, she was right there, always my girl. I miss that lil fuzzy butt but I know she had a great life.

Storm is in your state and still 100 mph. Be careful up there. Dont look its turning much like it was suppose to do.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am east central. Kinda rolling flat here. To my east the hills of eastern KY begin. I live on what was once the shoreline of an ancient inland sea.

Usually we dont see lows like that until maybe December but when I was growing up in Ohio, that was kinda normal for this time of year. We rode from Dolly wood to Nashville once around September. Had a late start because the gf was snozing in late and was about 11 am before we got on the road. Outside Nashville we was on a mountain, it was late and dark and I was freezing riding that Harley with only a T shirt on. Damn cold.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Usually we dont see lows like that until maybe December but when I was growing up in Ohio, that was kinda normal for this time of year. We rode from Dolly wood to Nashville once around September. Had a late start because the gf was snozing in late and was about 11 am before we got on the road. Outside Nashville we was on a mountain, it was late and dark and I was freezing riding that Harley with only a T shirt on. Damn cold.
Choppie and Babe on a motorsickle...

Ever listen to Brother Dave Gardner?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah and I am sure you will miss my below zero temps in January/February?

Well, I wouldn't really mind it -- the temps in MI didn't bother me at all, nor even the people -- they were lovely -- it was the damned economy up there that drove us back to GA! :giggle:

Down here in the winter, you just have no clue from one day to the next how to fucking dress -- short sleeves or long johns? It used to drive my mother crazy! And then there's the idiocy factor when we actually do get some rare white precip -- USUALLY it's safe to just stay home and wait till the next day, when it melts... but now and then, it'll melt, then hard-freeze again, and THAT is a REAL mess when you have zero salt trucks!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was a kitty papa for many many years and was given the "go to hell" look many times, ignored many times and looked down upon many times but when she wanted her pappy, she was right there, always my girl. I miss that lil fuzzy butt but I know she had a great life.

Tuxie doesn't usually have much of the typical kitty attitude; she's a very singular critter, probably due to her early-infancy abandonment and subsequent salvation thx to us. Annabel, the cat from hell, is a much more typical feline.

Storm is in your state and still 100 mph. Be careful up there. Dont look its turning much like it was suppose to do.

This is what we have currently:

michael.jpg

It doesn't seem to be doing much at all out there, other than maybe a little rain.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One thing the storm IS doing is playing hell with our satellite reception. My husband is NOT amused. :D I think I'm gonna watch the recording of last night's New Amsterdam. :)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep, just a lot of leaves and small branches in the yards. We had a flood warning overnight, but it came to nothing around here; too hilly I guess, and we're not close to any kind of creeks or streams, other than the storm-overflow ditch in the back of our yard. Heard a few smallish thumps on the roof, those small branches I guess; heard a lot of wind on the window-unit AC my husband put in here for me when our AC was down; there's a banana plant just on the other side of the window here where I sit, and its leaves are definitely the worse for wear; one is completely broken. But the plant was an accidental rooting anyway, so no great loss.

But damn I nearly cried when I saw the vids of the damage at Mexico Beach and Port St Joe. The N Carolinians thought they had it bad.... a cat 4 beats the living shit out of any cat 3. :facepalm: At one point, I heard that Michael was only a few MPH short of a cat 5; just as it made landfall, I think. It was a monster, and stayed organized an ungodly long time after it hit land.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Taking my window AC units out today and storing. Will do a cleanup/service on them this winter.

It was so much trouble getting this one in, (and ended up cracking a pane of glass!), no way in hell will my husband take this one out, until we either get whole new windows, or move. :D Which is fine with me; even after the central AC is shut off for the year, there might be days when it's a bit too warm for my hot flashes, and same, early in the spring before the AC is turned on.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But I would loose so much heat with window AC units left in place.
Supposed to be down to 32 here in about a week.

Ah, yeah I guess that's a lot more serious consideration, up there. Here, it's negligible, especially since this window faces SW -- in the winter it's sunny all day and evening, and the drapes I have here are thermal, so it helps a bit at night. But, we might wrap some plastic on both sides of the AC unit, which should help a good bit.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, yeah I guess that's a lot more serious consideration, up there. Here, it's negligible, especially since this window faces SW -- in the winter it's sunny all day and evening, and the drapes I have here are thermal, so it helps a bit at night. But, we might wrap some plastic on both sides of the AC unit, which should help a good bit.

Andria
Once winter sets in securely wrapping up- the outside part of the AC unit will help it to last longer.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just got some goddamn amazing news, this is almost as good as finding a vape as good as the Achilles. :D :D :D I was checking our bank acct, and saw that our annual property tax and insurance payments had been disbursed in Sept as usual. My husband hit 65 last November, so our tax pmt went down by 2/3 of its previous amount -- now instead of around $1500, it's around $500. So I called the bank to request an escrow reanalysis... and we're going to be getting a check for $1428 in a couple weeks, but that's not even the best part: our monthly pmts now, instead of $561, will be $472. That's only about $40 more than we were paying for a 2BR/1.5BA apt when we first moved into it back in 1998... but now we have a 3BR/2BA house on .27 acre... and it's 20 yrs later. :D :D :D

Oh hell, :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Andria
:bliss:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just got some goddamn amazing news, this is almost as good as finding a vape as good as the Achilles. :D :D :D I was checking our bank acct, and saw that our annual property tax and insurance payments had been disbursed in Sept as usual. My husband hit 65 last November, so our tax pmt went down by 2/3 of its previous amount -- now instead of around $1500, it's around $500. So I called the bank to request an escrow reanalysis... and we're going to be getting a check for $1428 in a couple weeks, but that's not even the best part: our monthly pmts now, instead of $561, will be $472. That's only about $40 more than we were paying for a 2BR/1.5BA apt when we first moved into it back in 1998... but now we have a 3BR/2BA house on .27 acre... and it's 20 yrs later. :D :D :D

Oh hell, :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Andria
:bliss:

Well damn Andria, sounds like lady luck is your bestie this week :)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dang, these storms have been crazy

This has been an odd year with hurricanes here and in the pacific and typhoons been just as bad I am seeing. Usually the end of august the grass slows way down on growing. Not this year, we got so damn much rain that its as green and lush as it was in May. Very odd year. Good news is I got one hell of a persimmon crop this year. My mom is damn happy and stuffed on them lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well damn Andria, sounds like lady luck is your bestie this week :)

Yeah maybe that's why we had all those mechanical problems earlier, paying karma for some better. :D We plan to roll $400 of that refund right back into the escrow acct, to prevent any shortfalls like we've had in previous years, and $1000 into savings, because not only are we going to need to pop for a new AC system, we really need to buy another vehicle next year, one that will be shared between me and our son so my husband can have his truck back. I rarely need a vehicle, but the spawn will be finishing up his AS degree and hopefully starting to GA Tech next year, which is a lot further away than right down the street from my husband's work (as his current school is), and will almost certainly also need a part-time job to supplement his student loan, because Tech ain't cheap. But he can't get a car of his own till he has an income, and he can't get a job if he doesn't have a car -- one of those horrible catch-22s I faced when I was a young adult.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, just a lot of leaves and small branches in the yards. We had a flood warning overnight, but it came to nothing around here; too hilly I guess, and we're not close to any kind of creeks or streams, other than the storm-overflow ditch in the back of our yard. Heard a few smallish thumps on the roof, those small branches I guess; heard a lot of wind on the window-unit AC my husband put in here for me when our AC was down; there's a banana plant just on the other side of the window here where I sit, and its leaves are definitely the worse for wear; one is completely broken. But the plant was an accidental rooting anyway, so no great loss.

But damn I nearly cried when I saw the vids of the damage at Mexico Beach and Port St Joe. The N Carolinians thought they had it bad.... a cat 4 beats the living shit out of any cat 3. :facepalm: At one point, I heard that Michael was only a few MPH short of a cat 5; just as it made landfall, I think. It was a monster, and stayed organized an ungodly long time after it hit land.

Andria
Sorry Andria but different storms, different circumstances. Florida was hit with wind, the Carolinas were hit with water. There were many, many homes here on the coast that had water in them up to their rooftops from river flooding. Houses that will have to be torn down basically and rebuilt. The devastation in southern NC is unreal but of course, since it wasn’t done by wind it’s not so widely shown. Tropical Storm Michael came through here yesterday and took out trees and power lines. My power has been off since yesterday afternoon at 4 and the power company is giving us no estimation of when it will be back on.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry Andria but different storms, different circumstances. Florida was hit with wind, the Carolinas were hit with water. There were many, many homes here on the coast that had water in them up to their rooftops from river flooding. Houses that will have to be torn down basically and rebuilt. The devastation in southern NC is unreal but of course, since it wasn’t done by wind it’s not so widely shown. Tropical Storm Michael came through here yesterday and took out trees and power lines. My power has been off since yesterday afternoon at 4 and the power company is giving us no estimation of when it will be back on.

FL got both, wind AND water -- 12' storm surge thx to that wind blowing the ocean up onto the land. Florence stalled once it made landfall, which did bring a grievous excess of water. Michael didn't stall, it keep moving pretty sprightly, but the godawful huge eyeball stayed organized and almost completely circular till it was nearly to MACON -- smack in the center of GA! So it brought water AND wind far inland, as you saw, way up in the Carolinas. Most of Mexico Beach and Port St Joe were completely levelled, like a ginorrnous tornado mowed it all down, and a very large part of Panama City was flattened or damaged so badly, the structures will probably have to be demolished and rebuilt.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep saw on the radar that My old homestead was getting hammered by the storm.
Hope your power is on soon.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FL got both, wind AND water -- 12' storm surge thx to that wind blowing the ocean up onto the land. Florence stalled once it made landfall, which did bring a grievous excess of water. Michael didn't stall, it keep moving pretty sprightly, but the godawful huge eyeball stayed organized and almost completely circular till it was nearly to MACON -- smack in the center of GA! So it brought water AND wind far inland, as you saw, way up in the Carolinas. Most of Mexico Beach and Port St Joe were completely levelled, like a ginorrnous tornado mowed it all down, and a very large part of Panama City was flattened or damaged so badly, the structures will probably have to be demolished and rebuilt.

Andria
And the FL devastation would have been worse if it had been high tide....

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apples to oranges...comparing Michael to Florence. But.. as some has said, if you choose to live on oceanfront property or property that’s in a flood plain, you have to take the good with the bad. I feel just as bad for the folks that both hurricanes affected but no more so than one over the other.

@The Cromwell, yeah...your old homestead has been hit twice this summer. Florence and Michael. If we’re talking about the one near me.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Apples to oranges...comparing Michael to Florence. But.. as some has said, if you choose to live on oceanfront property or property that’s in a flood plain, you have to take the good with the bad. I feel just as bad for the folks that both hurricanes affected but no more so than one over the other.

@The Cromwell, yeah...your old homestead has been hit twice this summer. Florence and Michael. If we’re talking about the one near me.

Yeah when we were watching the vids of Michael yesterday, my husband goes "and that's why I don't live next to the ocean!" And I'm like, oh, but you wanna go live on a tiny island (Hawaii) in the middle of the Pacific, which gets not only hurricanes, but HAS AN ACTIVE VOLCANO! :facepalm:

I really don't thnk you can compare Michael to anything; it's the largest hurricane to strike the FL panhandle *in recorded history*... It was nearly the size of Katrina! Though mostly what made Katrina so bad was WHERE it hit -- New Orleans is more water than land! And those levees were engineered to withstand a cat 3... not a cat 4 and certainly not the cat 5 that they got!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep on antioch Church Rd.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Afternoon fugee's. Yall know what to do :p

Went seen my cardiologist yesterday and he said everything is looking good now. Thats good news.

As far as storms goes, it dont matter if its a flooder that hits the carolina's or a wind monster hitting florida, both damn hurricanes, both devastating and both was deadly. And both people are trying to recover from. Thats all that matters.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Afternoon fugee's. Yall know what to do :p

Went seen my cardiologist yesterday and he said everything is looking good now. Thats good news.

As far as storms goes, it dont matter if its a flooder that hits the carolina's or a wind monster hitting florida, both damn hurricanes, both devastating and both was deadly. And both people are trying to recover from. Thats all that matters.

I hear that!

oh, but you wanna go live on a tiny island (Hawaii) in the middle of the Pacific, which gets not only hurricanes, but HAS AN ACTIVE VOLCANO!

And your point is :giggle: (just teasing of course)

Losing your home and community devastated is losing your home and community devastated, no matter how you slice it

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mornin fugee's :p

The flavors I ordered from Flavorah finally showed up. I should of never ordered them from there. $15 shipping just irks me and for flavorings, theirs is some of the most expensive on the market. But I wanted to try a couple recipes that sounded good and like normal, I didnt write down which recipes so Im clueless there too. :p Cant say Im not batting a thousand :giggle:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I pretty much gave up on trying new flavors.
Since I had a bad reaction to well over 1/2 of them.
Prolly more like 3/4...
May be due to some artificial sweetener or somesuch.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Mornin fugee's :p

The flavors I ordered from Flavorah finally showed up. I should of never ordered them from there. $15 shipping just irks me and for flavorings, theirs is some of the most expensive on the market. But I wanted to try a couple recipes that sounded good and like normal, I didnt write down which recipes so Im clueless there too. :p Cant say Im not batting a thousand :giggle:

Bummer on the expensive shipping - but with Flavorah you will use a whole lot less of it than the cheaper stuff at least

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I pretty much gave up on trying new flavors.
Since I had a bad reaction to well over 1/2 of them.
Prolly more like 3/4...
May be due to some artificial sweetener or somesuch.

You have that bitter gene so its kinda expected I would imagine. I been noticing my taste been screwed up and its probably been that way all along. Vapes taste normally fine to me but other things dont. Some things that should have a blueberry flavor or mango flavor or something like that on the exhale always taste like soap to me.

VU Sponsors