Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree about Gnome. It tanked by going the way it did. I used Gnome 2 a great deal. When the switch up came I looked at different environments. I'm just a simple desktop abuser that sometimes codes a few hello worlds. Possibly the problems I had with KDE was in using different environs in conjunction with it, instead of committing to it fully.

Again, it's up to what each person likes / needs. :) I genuinely do appreciate having the choice/s. Not going to knock anyone else's choices except in good humor. No point having such animosities when ultimately that's all it is. If you find what works for you, go you, go! :)
Yeah just like choices for Wicking, it's not a bloody religion ya know ;)

Yeah I used Gnome for a long time until the shit they pulled. I must say though that the Linux Mint Dev guy's took the new Gnome and worked it to be an actual Desktop environment with Cinnamon. They did a pretty good job, but I just found KDE to be more mature so that's where I've been at.

I've actually been getting the itch again to go minimalist and may go back to Fluxbox, I do like it better than Blackbox or Openbox. I do love the "clean", functionality and easy text file configuration of the Box's.

Cheers

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah just like choices for Wicking, it's not a bloody religion ya know ;)

Even with religion... One has to find what seems right to oneself. Merely accepting "received wisdom" from others, that's no way to live. Unless one truly enjoys being a round peg in a round hole. I've always had corners. ;)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think today must "Murphy Day"... If it can go wrong, it will... and has. Got my windows set up so it wouldn't update without my permission, so i wouldn't come in here to find it off, and have to wait and wait for it to start up and load everything.... so I come in here, and it's on... but somehow frozen, in screensaver-blank; couldn't make it respond till i turned it off and back on. :facepalm:

Then... my desklamp wouldn't come on; changed the bulb; still won't come on. changed it to a different plug-in; still nope. Took the fucking lamp to another plug entirely, still nope; tried the bulb in another lamp, it works fine, so apparently the fucking lamp is broken. :facepalm: Had to get the one off my husband's desk, and let him fix whatever's wrong with the one from in here (he's good with basic electrical shit, fixes lamps as easily as I fix dinner!).

Then, I get a call on my mobile phone, don't recognize it, so I hit reject. Try to go into Metro- BlockIt, and it tells me I need to subscribe. I just fucking did that, last night! Called tech support. They have no idea. Said they would send a refresh signal, I should turn the phone off and wait 30 mins, then turn it back on. Still got 15 mins to go.

What the fuck else is going to go haywire today?!?!?!??!?!

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Again, it's up to what each person likes / needs. I genuinely do appreciate having the choice/s. Not going to knock anyone else's choices except in good humor. No point having such animosities when ultimately that's all it is. If you find what works for you, go you, go!

Yeah just like choices for Wicking, it's not a bloody religion ya know

What are you guys talking about, choices? There are no choices. Everyone knows the only acceptable distro is Debian, or maybe Ubunto, or possibly Red Hat..., and the only acceptable DE is XFCE, or maybe Gnome, or possibly KDE..., and the only acceptable wicking is rayon, or maybe pima cotton, or possibly cotton bacon...! Yeah, some of us just can't choose.:D

Hmmm, I keep talking about getting Linux set up again, maybe it's time for me to quit talking. I actually can't remember what the desktop was that I was playing with back when I had an Arch system running 3 or 4 years ago, I know it wasn't XFCE, or Gnome, or KDE. Maybe it was Fluxbox, but I'm not sure? Oh well, doesn't hurt to play with more than one I suppose.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even with religion... One has to find what seems right to oneself. Merely accepting "received wisdom" from others, that's no way to live. Unless one truly enjoys being a round peg in a round hole. I've always had corners. ;)

Andria
I'm the forever sceptic, I question everything. Thus why religion and I don't get along ;)

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What are you guys talking about, choices? There are no choices. Everyone knows the only acceptable distro is Debian, or maybe Ubunto, or possibly Red Hat..., and the only acceptable DE is XFCE, or maybe Gnome, or possibly KDE..., and the only acceptable wicking is rayon, or maybe pima cotton, or possibly cotton bacon...! Yeah, some of us just can't choose.:D

Hmmm, I keep talking about getting Linux set up again, maybe it's time for me to quit talking. I actually can't remember what the desktop was that I was playing with back when I had an Arch system running 3 or 4 years ago, I know it wasn't XFCE, or Gnome, or KDE. Maybe it was Fluxbox, but I'm not sure? Oh well, doesn't hurt to play with more than one I suppose.
Yeah that's the fun, exploring the choices then deciding on what works best for you. While they were very smart with re-basing their OS on BSD, I still really despise Mac. Problem I have is the "Walled Garden" and the Herd mentality of the Apple Heads. Go into a Mac forum, post an issue that you're trying to get Mac to do something. They'll say you're doing it wrong and need to do it the Mac way, even if it does not do what you need it to do. Me, I'm on the school of thought that your tools need to adapt to the job that needs to be done, you shouldn't have to restructure your Job/Work to conform to the tools.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm the forever sceptic, I question everything. Thus why religion and I don't get along ;)

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

That's precisely why I follow the particular teaching that I follow -- to question everything is one of the foremost tenets. :)

Great quote from Nietzsche. I do sometimes feel lonely, but most often, when surrounded by others, than when alone -- which may explain why I'm such an extreme loner. When surrounded by other people, it makes my "differentness" all the more obvious, and while I accept and embrace it, it can be uncomfortable to be looked down on, or pitied, because of it, when in fact, the sheep in the flock are truly the ones to be pitied, and they don't even know it.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's precisely why I follow the particular teaching that I follow -- to question everything is one of the foremost tenets. :)

Great quote from Nietzsche. I do sometimes feel lonely, but most often, when surrounded by others, than when alone -- which may explain why I'm such an extreme loner. When surrounded by other people, it makes my "differentness" all the more obvious, and while I accept and embrace it, it can be uncomfortable to be looked down on, or pitied, because of it, when in fact, the sheep in the flock are truly the ones to be pitied, and they don't even know it.

Andria
Trust me when I say I know all too well. Example is I grew up Mormon in a family that goes all the way back to the beginning. One of my Great Grandfathers was actually one of the inner circle with J. Smith and they have a monument and a statue of two of my Great Grandfathers. So to say my family is deep into the religion is an understatement. I was lucky enough to really start getting a clue when I was a Teenager of the B.S., you see I asked questions ;)

Anyway so as being the Agnostic that I am and believing in no absolutes and that everything is an opinion I am an outsider. You see the looks from the "sheep" of pity and what goes through my head is to pity their clueless "opinions". Just remember that only Sheep need a Shepard ;)

The universe is Transformation; Life is opinion

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Andria
I've never been able to remember what book I read it in, so I never can remember the exact quote or properly attribute it, but years ago I read something along the lines of "Until one questions everything that the believe, they don't really believe anything for themselves."

The gist of what the author was talking about when he made that statement is that we are constantly told what to believe (about everything, not just religion) from the time we are born, and that consequently we develop worldviews that reflect what OTHER PEOPLE have told us to believe rather than what WE actually believe. Most people go through life accepting those beliefs as their own.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never been able to remember what book I read it in, so I never can remember the exact quote or properly attribute it, but years ago I read something along the lines of "Until one questions everything that the believe, they don't really believe anything for themselves."

The gist of what the author was talking about when he made that statement is that we are constantly told what to believe (about everything, not just religion) from the time we are born, and that consequently we develop worldviews that reflect what OTHER PEOPLE have told us to believe rather than what WE actually believe. Most people go through life accepting those beliefs as their own.
Yep, that's why I don't believe in absolutes. For me everything is an "opinion" formed by what an individual has learned and experienced themselves.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My life would truly suck today if I'd never questioned just about everything family, authority and society at large taught me to "believe"

It got me into a lot of trouble as a kid, but has made me a much happier person as an adult

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My life would truly suck today if I'd never questioned just about everything family, authority and society at large taught me to "believe"

It got me into a lot of trouble as a kid, but has made me a much happier person as an adult
I believe in at least one absolute. Which is that I don't really know the truth about much of anything.

If nobody questions nor breaks away from the "Herd" the result would be stagnation of society. Those who think outside the box and break from the Herd is where Society, Civilization and our species advance. If it wasn't that way we'd still be living in caves thinking someone with a fever was cursed by the gods and/or possessed ;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There were two words I will never use in speech. Believe and should.

To "believe" is to accept without understanding or proof.

"Should" is a word assholes use to impose their will on others.
I disagree for

"Believe" is when I'm giving my "opinion" and that goes for should also. It's up to the individual to take it for what it is, my opinion

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I disagree for

"Believe" is when I'm giving my "opinion" and that goes for should also. It's up to the individual to take it for what it is, my opinion

To believe something, as in, I believe you when you say you like ice cream, is not a statement of opinion. It's a statement of trust.

Should is an assumption. As in, He should turn off the power before he opens that panel. The assumption is that the person opening the panel knows to turn the power off.

Or if someone says "You should marry my sister" that's an assumption of athority.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
:zombie:
You have to take little victories Moo and try to ignore the absurd. Kinda like when the media published nude photo's of Trumps wife. As Trump said they was art and nothing to be ashamed of. Then the media swore they would never ever ever publish nude photo's of Hilliary and the entire world breathed a collective sigh of relief. Its the little victories that matter :D
Oh that's funny!!!! lol!!!!
I've been super duper busy folks. Have a super duper zombie free evening.:zombie:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To believe something, as in, I believe you when you say you like ice cream, is not a statement of opinion. It's a statement of trust.

Should is an assumption. As in, He should turn off the power before he opens that panel. The assumption is that the person opening the panel knows to turn the power off.

Or if someone says "You should marry my sister" that's an assumption of athority.
I look at it differently, it's all opinions base on that person's experiences and knowledge at the time.

But then again, this is only my "opinion" ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:zombie:
Oh that's funny!!!! lol!!!!
I've been super duper busy folks. Have a super duper zombie free evening.:zombie:

You keep dreaming of zombies, I keep dreaming of Duchess Kate. I have no earthly idea why my dreaming subconscious finds that woman so fascinating, but I seem to dream about her about once a week. :facepalm:

One thing I've noted though, about her; I was always rather interested in Princess Diana; she and I were exactly the same age, and her family name, Spencer, is the same as my mother's family name. But if you look at her pics when she was young, married to Prince Charles, in every one, she looks so miserable she seems on the very edge of tears. And her biography suggests that this in fact was true. But every pic of Duchess Kate seems to indicate that she is positively thrilled with her life. Either she really is that happy with her marriage and family and lot in life, or she's a much better actress than Diana was.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You keep dreaming of zombies, I keep dreaming of Duchess Kate. I have no earthly idea why my dreaming subconscious finds that woman so fascinating, but I seem to dream about her about once a week. :facepalm:

One thing I've noted though, about her; I was always rather interested in Princess Diana; she and I were exactly the same age, and her family name, Spencer, is the same as my mother's family name. But if you look at her pics when she was young, married to Prince Charles, in every one, she looks so miserable she seems on the very edge of tears. And her biography suggests that this in fact was true. But every pic of Duchess Kate seems to indicate that she is positively thrilled with her life. Either she really is that happy with her marriage and family and lot in life, or she's a much better actress than Diana was.

Andria
I say just better actress and better prepared.

Honestly though I still don't see what the attraction is to a dysfunctional, obscenely rich, inbred family is all about.

Psyc

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Good evening Fugees, The long weekend is upon us and now i have to go back to working nights witch sucks. oh and i forgot to say;

freshlymintedgofuckyourself.gif

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There were two words I will never use in speech. Believe and should.

To "believe" is to accept without understanding or proof.

"Should" is a word assholes use to impose their will on others.

i don't know, I have used "This should work". Just do not precede with hold my beer.

But none of that Shalting stuff.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I say just better actress and better prepared.

Honestly though I still don't see what the attraction is to a dysfunctional, obscenely rich, inbred family is all about.

I'm not sure that's all it is. I'm thinking that marrying ANYONE when you're 19 is a really bad idea, guaranteed to cause unhappiness, and when the guy you marry is the heir to that horrible family, and 20 yrs older than you... well, how could it NOT be horrible.

But Kate was older; mid-to-late 20s when she married William, a much more sane age for marriage and childbearing, and they're of like age -- actually I think she is one year older than he is. They seem to actually be a *couple*, a happily-married couple who happen to be in that horrible family.

Yes, they're rich, and rather powerful in some ways, and that might be an attraction in its own right. Inbred, not really; maybe way back, because all nobility and royalty used to be, but modern understandings of genetics have put a stop to that, for the most part -- an heir to a throne used to have to seek a mate from other royal families, most of which were already related, but Kate was actually a "commoner."

The inbreeding was actually from Lady Di's family tree; her family was descended from one of Charles II's bastards; since he had no legitimate offspring, the throne went to William & Mary, then Queen Anne, then finally to the Hanovers, who are still there, though they changed that German name to Windsor during one of the world wars. So William is actually doubly-royal, though from 350 yrs back.

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure that's all it is. I'm thinking that marrying ANYONE when you're 19 is a really bad idea, guaranteed to cause unhappiness,
Well, I was 20 when I got married, she was 19, and while I always hate to give my support to generalizations like this one, we only lasted 5 years, and she, anyway, was miserable for the last year of it. Got 2 terrific kids out of it, and a good friend once we both got past the whole divorce thing, but without a doubt it was a bad idea.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it also has a lot to do with how people are registered to vote.
Possibly, but that could be economically tied too. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is. The folks I mentioned (Or if I didn't, they flooded during Katrina and Sandy) were pretty much a mixed bag of voters and all were compensated. The common denominator really was income.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I was 20 when I got married, she was 19, and while I always hate to give my support to generalizations like this one, we only lasted 5 years, and she, anyway, was miserable for the last year of it. Got 2 terrific kids out of it, and a good friend once we both got past the whole divorce thing, but without a doubt it was a bad idea.

Yes, it's nearly impossible to know what one wants out of life, at 18-20, nevermind know who one wants to spend that life with -- the decade of the 20s is really when most mature from kid to adult. I married my first husband at 24, and we lasted less than a year until we separated, and just over a year when the divorce was final. I had actually thought him a very good match; 9 yrs older, settled and mature, good job and income potential; a real stabilizing influence on someone who was VERY late-maturing. Unfortunately my drug and alcohol addictions proved impossible for him to deal with, and he's a terrible control-freak (though I initially moved in with him because my parents are control-freaks, and he hates control-freaks as much as i do, because HIS parents were control-freaks -- but I grew up to resist that mindset, and he grew up to emulate it). He always saw me as a "fixer-upper", and I finally came to understand that I was never going to be the person he wanted me to be, and trying to be someone I was not, was both impossible, and guaranteed to keep me unhappy forever, ensuring that I might never get free of the need for the solace of drugs and alcohol.

Thus the great boon of my husband, who has always loved me just as I am; if I grow and change, that's great, and he's grown along with me, but we've never put demands or expectations of that change on one another. But I didn't even meet him till I was 25, married him at 26, and then had a child at 27 -- which is when my growing-up REALLY started! :giggle: My husband is also 9 yrs older than I am, but he's always been my peer, not my "teacher." First and foremost, he is my FRIEND, the best friend I've ever had.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah. Figured it was silly to let him end up potentially with a crappy owner if I'm capable of being a good one. He seems very chill and easy to maintain. Plus his name is clyde. Look at him. I couldn't say no to that face..

He looks like he's smiling. :) Pretty cool critter indeed.

Andria

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah. Figured it was silly to let him end up potentially with a crappy owner if I'm capable of being a good one. He seems very chill and easy to maintain. Plus his name is clyde. Look at him. I couldn't say no to that face..
Good for you. I have a spare 5g waiting for... something. Too small for a Leopard Gecko, though. Maybe a baby Cranwell's Horned Frog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors