Become a Patron!

Ecig tv ads, mixed feelings

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been noticing more and more ecig companies turning to t.v. advertising over the past year or so. Another one caught my attention, it's apparently somewhat new but tied to previous products. A half hour infomercial for a device called the cue vapor system.

So the pro's, it's getting the word out there. The half hour spot featured a number of testimonials with an overall positive message as to the benefits of switching to vaping. Making it appear more 'normal' and acceptable rather than some sort of cult experience done only by those who participate in body modification and meeting in the shadows to vape. It's another alternative to others that have been promoting 'easy' pod type devices. It does offer something a bit different, subohm cartridges with 5ml's of juice so a bit more capacity and likely more vapor than some of the other enclosed systems.

Now for the mixed feelings and possibly the cons. Since I hadn't heard of them and was curious to find out who's behind it I did a quick bit of google-fu and found my answer. It's a rebirth of a company that was previously running under the name 'digirettes' founded in 2012 and as it turns out, run by EAS, a sister company to Swisher Intl. Suffice it to say, big tobacco. That explains the enclosed system and the somewhat limited flavors (there are 10 so it's better than some out there).

I want to like that it's pro vaping and sends a positive message, that's great for the community. On the other hand it's promoting big tobacco's control and I don't want to see the industry choked out and relegated to just a handful of mediocre products void of options and diverse flavors.

I don't feel right promoting big tobacco so not going to leave a link. Maybe it will work for some if they're interested in another potentially hassle free to help get them off cigs and maybe open the door to other things vaping. Can't really speak first hand since I've never tried it so not sure how 'good' the product is overall. A bit pricey to maintain vs other vape gear at $7/cartridge but I guess that's the tradeoff for a prefilled cartridge/coil/tip aio.

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To be honest it doesn't bother me at all.
If it helps someone quit smoking I don't care who the parent company is.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I dunno. The problem I see with the ads is... I don't see them! They are very few and very far between around these parts. Blu had it's big tv advertising push - for about a month. And I have seen that spot for cue - once. Occasionally our local wanker Logic e-cigs pops up with a 30 second spot for their own pod system - but it's not a high frequency occurrence either.

I feel that the tv advertising has been so little it's not going to make a difference - for better or worse.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe for some reason it's been hitting my area more. It could be due to watching satellite rather than local over the air channels. I've seen the blu (though not so much recently), logic, cue, juul I think, seems like a couple others here and there. If it gets someone to quit smoking then I agree, not going to fault that. At the same time just don't want to back them too much and give big tobacco a more firm hold over the vape industry.

On the bright side, maybe with a bit of help of 'the enemy' since they have ties and contacts to big tobacco they can use their built in connections to the industry to help push vaping forward. Just so long as it doesn't become a case where the old major players in tobacco take a monopoly on vaping and we're reduced to things like pod systems being the only 'approved' items able to weather the storm. I don't mind them being A player in the market, just not THE player(s).

It'd be nice if more commercials were out there, lord knows we hear enough about every other medical related item whether it's catheters, diapers, pads, meds, chantix, stuff to make you poop, stuff for when you poop too much and on and on. Maybe cut back on those a bit and insert some vape commercials so more people might hear about vaping as an alternative to patches or gums.

I am slowly seeing more and more people vaping (which says something being in a rural area). The ups driver the other day is trying to switch from cigs to vaping, next time she shows up (should be soon) I've gathered some extra juices I won't use to pif.

VU Sponsors