Become a Patron!

ECO ALPACA YARN WICK

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so is it alpaca singular.. alpaci? alpacas alpacadelian a murder of alpaci.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
th

the vaping mt rushmore is nice to bad its always obscured by clouds...

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I can safely say I'm fearful of the dry hits. That's not something I really want to experience.
The vaping mount rushmore eh, sounds lovely haha. Honestly though I'm only interested in the safety aspect of it all. I'm wanting it to be just as good as cotton, hopefully rayon in wick ability etc. If it can't compete with these then it would be pointless pursuing it.

Hey, if all goes well with the initial tests for me and I get a nice sized sample of it, I would be more than willing to post some on to anyone who would like a try for themselves.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ill be first on that list lol im interested in this.. also a alpaca spit on me at the zoo once need a bit of revenge

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i had post # 3...still waiting for you to boil your alpaca fiber, and finding when you remove it from your bag, that it is a matted, shocked, pile useless for anything...applying water over 120 degrees to this fiber has widely been known to do this for the last 35 years at least here in the united states...
when you apply current to you coil wicked with alpaca fiber the heat produced to vaporize your liquid will cause the thousands of small air pockets found naturally in the fiber to super heat and be released by the fibers and the wick will compress , mat and felt...your imagined wicking properties are now tottally gone...you now have a matted mess of felt not coming in contact with any of your coil...
lets visit price next... alpaca fiber is the 3rd most expensive textile, highly coveted for its wonderful properties, in the garment industry...
most vapers are looking for the cheapest wicking material... this stuff can be 9 times as expensive as its cotton counterpart ...you think people balk at the price of readyxwick at 8 dollars a foot... your alpaca fiber will make readyxwick seem cheap...
lets visit flame retardant properties of alpaca fiber...as is stated the flame retardancy of alpaca fiber is substantially superior to untreated cotton...but apply heat minus the flame and the fibers release the super heated air pockets, then the fibers start to curl and matt together...
good luck in your endeavor...a video of your facial expressions while vaping this stuff would be awesome...
i could be totally wrong,but...

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i dont look for the cheapest i look for the best. you raise a interesting idea about the air bubbles but would that happen soaked in juice?

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i had post # 3...still waiting for you to boil your alpaca fiber, and finding when you remove it from your bag, that it is a matted, shocked, pile useless for anything...applying water over 120 degrees to this fiber has widely been known to do this for the last 35 years at least here in the united states...
when you apply current to you coil wicked with alpaca fiber the heat produced to vaporize your liquid will cause the thousands of small air pockets found naturally in the fiber to super heat and be released by the fibers and the wick will compress , mat and felt...your imagined wicking properties are now tottally gone...you now have a matted mess of felt not coming in contact with any of your coil...
lets visit price next... alpaca fiber is the 3rd most expensive textile, highly coveted for its wonderful properties, in the garment industry...
most vapers are looking for the cheapest wicking material... this stuff can be 9 times as expensive as its cotton counterpart ...you think people balk at the price of readyxwick at 8 dollars a foot... your alpaca fiber will make readyxwick seem cheap...
lets visit flame retardant properties of alpaca fiber...as is stated the flame retardancy of alpaca fiber is substantially superior to untreated cotton...but apply heat minus the flame and the fibers release the super heated air pockets, then the fibers start to curl and matt together...
good luck in your endeavor...a video of your facial expressions while vaping this stuff would be awesome...
i could be totally wrong,but...
I would like to see the evidence about these facts of felting and matting over 120 degrees please. Also to what extent this happens and whether or not it would actually impact in the application I will be using it in.
As far as I'm aware using alpaca fibre as a wick in vaping isn't that common. I've read a few statements from people saying the idea has been successful and importantly better than cotton.

Now revisiting cost. As I stated earlier I could sell 5m of this stuff for 3 British pounds! Including local UK postage costs.That's pretty darn reasonable to be fair. Considering this was the material of Inca King's back in the day, I'm willing to pay that!

Anyway just wait for the results before jumping to conclusions. Surely it's important for us all to do our best to make vaping as safe and health conscious as possible.

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coil setup at .8 ohms.

Attachments

• IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 21

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alpaca wick inserted into coil.

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 32

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coil and wick juiced up and ready.

Attachments

• IMAG0361.jpg
    IMAG0361.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 26

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
............ BLLLLLEEERRRRGGGGHHH.....
Warning do not try this! It doesn't work! I didn't even have a chuff of it, the smell coming off the wick just from firing the coil was bad enough. Not a chance I'm putting that anywhere near my mouth.

Oh well back to the drawing board guys. This is a fail.

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My better half nearly had a fit from the smell. She wasn't too amused by it haha.
I ended up having to completely strip down the subtank and wash it thoroughly to remove the strange animalish popcorn taste from the atty.

Think I might have to give the rayon a shot.

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No chance! I won't be experimenting with anymore animal fibres from now on. That ship has sailed! :confused:

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It was an interesting idea! I'll stick to rayon for now haha

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
So basically what you are saying is that it smelled like the south end of a northbound Alpaca?

But Kudo's for even tying to find the next big thing in vaping!

I am kinda thinking we are limited to either plant products or total synthetics or a blend of both.

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So basically what you are saying is that it smelled like the south end of a northbound Alpaca?

But Kudo's for even tying to find the next big thing in vaping!

I am kinda thinking we are limited to either plant products or total synthetics or a blend of both.

It wasn't pleasant put it that way Uncle. I certainly wasn't prepared to give it a shot after having had a whiff of the vapours it produced.

Looks like as you say we're pretty much limited to plant fibres, synthetic and semi synthetic materials.

Just a case of finding new things that would have the potential to produce an incredible vape and be pretty much ideal in terms of health impact.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well we could make jerky and have our vapes taste like steak! honestly though its to bad this didnt work would have been interesting. and i wanted you to rub it in the face of all the naysayers. oh well lol

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So what happened to the alpaca wick.... Did it work out ?

TrashCat

Member For 4 Years
I've read good things about Alpaca on "that other forum" :p Not sure how they cleaned it to remove smell etc...

Haven't tried it myself... I tried Rayon and loved it... Then I tried the thick pads of Japanese cotton, and found it works even better than rayon. Not sure why... Logically, rayon should outperform it by miles... I just didn't find that to be the case.

Side note... I've ridden an alpaca! :)

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In all honesty anyone curious about trying this out please don't.
The smell of it burning nearly made my better half sick!
I haven't got a clue what the guys on ecf did to make this into a 'good' wicking material!
Im sticking with koh gen doh from now on. It's performing flawlessly.
I've got tons of alpaca yarn in the house now, bags of rayon and tencel. I feel better in my own mind now about cotton and it's possible health issues..... Which are probably zero anyway.

I haven't got a clue what the guys on ecf did to make this into a 'good' wicking material!
I've got tons of alpaca yarn in the house now, bags of rayon and tencel. I feel better in my own mind now about cotton and it's possible health issues..... Which are probably zero anyway.
can i have some of your tencel? ive really been wanting to give that a shot...currently im using rayon mainly sourced from tampons :( lol

my bad lol this is from like a year ago now...in any case how does tencel compare to rayon in your opinion?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been using Alpaca wick for years. Wicks great, no taste...

VU Sponsors