Become a Patron!

Effects of wire gauge and coil diameter

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
So, i've been experimenting with several gauges of wire ranging from 28 through 22. And, coil diameter sizes ranging from 1.5 mm to 3 mm. Besides the obvious effects of wire gauge and coil diameter on resistance how do these variables impact flavor and vapor?
If I build a .5 ohm coil out of both 28 and 22 gauge wire i'm not yet certain that I notice much of a difference in either flavor or vapor.i If anything, it seems the 28 gauge produces more vapor and the 22 gauge produces more flavor. But I'm still pretty early into my experimenting.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The tank size makes a big difference. I get a lot of flavour from my little Helios. Not so much from a 28mm TOBH. It's not a deciding factor on what tank I'd use however

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use 28 gauge for everything just cause its easy for me to work with. Coil diameter — My experience is pretty limited. It seems the tight coils and smaller internal diameter seem to make for better flavor and vapor production for me. I have pretty much stuck with micro coils on smaller diameter builds. I normally stay close to 1 ohm because of the batteries and attys I use.

Lower ohms heats up faster and burns a lot more juice.. Especially when you get into mech mods and lower ohms. Like under .8 you'll really notice an increase in juice consumption. Around .5 many vendor produced juices REALLY start to kick out flavor.. Lower normally gives even more. But lower ohms requires a LOT more wick to supply those coils with the juice they are about the vaporize.

I stick to around 1.3 to .5 ohms… Mostly 1.2 and .8 ohm builds… They seems to be a happy medium and provide me with what I am looking for out of my vaping experience.. I'll play around here and there for fun but never felt the need or desire to stray to far from those numbers as they work well for me, my batteries, and my attys.

Higher ohm builds are great for the standard off the shelf stuff.. Like Kangers, and attys like those. They provide solid and dependable performance. Not the best flavor or vapor but still respectable.

All of the above is from my experience… Yours may be different.

VU Sponsors