Become a Patron!

Eleaf istick 40w leaking excessively through air flow

ja8

Member For 1 Year
Basically, i began my own research as to why this could occur. I did a little test to see if it would leak on its own without firing it, however, after about 2 hours it did not. It only leaks after hitting it. I tried switching to another coil in case that was it, but to no avail. I tried undoing all the components and making sure they were snug but not too tight. Despite that, I may have over tightened it prior but nothing appears damaged.
things it probably cannot be:

1.) the juice pg/vg levels, since i am using the same coils/juice i usually did prior (the ones recommended for the stock super tank, at .5ohms)

things it might be:

1.) busted rubber O ring, but it didnt seem so after examining it

What i am looking for is maybe some other things to test that i havent already or other possible reasons.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Basically, i began my own research as to why this could occur. I did a little test to see if it would leak on its own without firing it, however, after about 2 hours it did not. It only leaks after hitting it. I tried switching to another coil in case that was it, but to no avail. I tried undoing all the components and making sure they were snug but not too tight. Despite that, I may have over tightened it prior but nothing appears damaged.

1.) the juice pg/vg levels, since i am using the same coils/juice i usually did prior (the ones recommended for the stock super tank, at .5ohms)

things it might be:

What i am looking for is maybe some other things to test that i havent already or other possible reasons.
Is this the tank you have?
Where exactly is it leaking from? Is it coming out the airflow hole or the space above?
rBVaG1XMsDSASRErAACXFWwYcr0581.jpg

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
EJV-Tobeco-Mini_Super_Tank-Black-3_1024x1024.jpg

this is the tank and it is dripping down from the coil and out the airflow
Okay... that is the Tobeco SuperTank. I personally do not use these tanks but I do use the coils they take. If you are vaping up in the 30 watts range and constantly I would say it is simply condensation. I get that from my Herakles (which also uses a very similar aspire coil)
This is where it becomes process of elimination...
Did it just start doing this with a batch of new coils?
What is the VG ratio of your juice?
Have you checked the coil to make sure the bottom o-ring (just above the screw threads) is not twisted or bunched up in anyway?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I’m with pami. I don’t have that tank but have used several thag use the aspire coils. My wife still uses a herekles which are the same coil profile.
Best thing I can think of is either condensation, to much pg in the juice or check the orings around the base base of the coil, and tank sections.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

things it might be:

I had this happen with a Crown Subohm tank and it was the oring that goes where the coil seats in at.
It fell out and down the sink when I was cleaning it.

I took the pack of extra orings and figured out which one was missing and put it in then everything was fine again.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
BTW.. Welcome to the VU! :wave:

Reactions: ja8

ja8

Member For 1 Year
so the white oring around the coil seems perfectly normal. This IS a new batch of coils. I tried 2 different ones from the same batch and both had issues. The juice im using has a 70%vg to 30%pg ratio. I usually have my mod set nowhere higher than 29 and nowhere lower than 22.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
so the white oring around the coil seems perfectly normal. This IS a new batch of coils. I tried 2 different ones from the same batch and both had issues. The juice im using has a 70%vg to 30%pg ratio. I usually have my mod set nowhere higher than 29 and nowhere lower than 22.
Rut ro! :confused: Where did you get this batch of coils?

ja8

Member For 1 Year
i also understand my vape is old, ive gotten a lot of good use out of it. If its just dinged up then that would make sense, but it seems odd to only NOW have this issue it hasnt had before.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
a place called twin city vapors. the thing is the coils appear perfectly fine as well as the fact that theyre the same exact ones i get 90% of the time (ive tried ceramics here and there)

Do you have an old coil from before that you can put in to see if it makes a difference?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
i also understand my vape is old, ive gotten a lot of good use out of it. If its just dinged up then that would make sense, but it seems odd to only NOW have this issue it hasnt had before.
When the issue starts with a new batch of coils, you can pretty much bet it's the coils. May be clones, may just be a bad batch. I would do what @5150sick suggested.

ja8

Member For 1 Year
Do you have an old coil from before that you can put in to see if it makes a difference?
unfortunately i do not. i pretty much just toss em when they are bad. ive never really experienced issues with my coils specifically,other than burning them which was my own fault

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
My suggestion, take the coils back to the shop and ask them to replace them. You've had 2 coils do the same thing from the same box. That shouldn't happen. Your shop may have changed where they are getting the coils from and should know that there are issues with them. Sorry we don't have a better solution for you.

ja8

Member For 1 Year
okay so i think i may have figured it out.... preface, i am kind of a noob at vaping. I have had the same mod like 2 years and barely even understand this one aside from basic stuff to use it... the temperature setting was way down (like 200F) i guess. Im pretty sure it is normally around 400-450F. I just upped it and honestly didnt know that was a different thing than the wattage. I thought switching between those screens was just displaying the same information in 2 ways; that is, how hot the coil is burning. we will see if this was the issue.Thanks all for the help!

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
okay so i think i may have figured it out.... preface, i am kind of a noob at vaping. I have had the same mod like 2 years and barely even understand this one aside from basic stuff to use it... the temperature setting was way down (like 200F) i guess. Im pretty sure it is normally around 400-450F. I just upped it and honestly didnt know that was a different thing than the wattage. I thought switching between those screens was just displaying the same information in 2 ways; that is, how hot the coil is burning. we will see if this was the issue.Thanks all for the help!
Are you using SS coils or regular kanthal?

ja8

Member For 1 Year
mmmmmm nope. still leaking. ill take them to the shop and see what they can do. The guy was pretty nice so i am hopeful

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you’re using a ss or kanthal... try getting out of tc mode and use straight power.
It probably won’t solve the leak problem but youll leak a little bit less.
You may also find the vape a little more enjpyable.
If you’re using nickel, stay in tc mode.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
im not sure what that means
Can you post a pic of the coil you’re using? The side where the writing is?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
im not sure what that means

It's the type of metal the coil itself is made from. If you are using a kanthal coil you should not be in TC mode.
If you're using SS (stainless steel) you can use Wattage or TC mode
NiCr (NiChrome) you should be in TC.

ja8

Member For 1 Year
also, if anyone wants to suggest an upgrade (if thats necessary) then id very much appreciate it :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Odds are that is kanthal and depending on the mod it should kick you out of tc.
Either way, set it in power mode and see if that doesn’t burn off some excess juice.
Also, double check all your orings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
IMG_6548.jpg

but theyre silver. idk if that changes anything
Let's try this... can you take a pic of the box your coils came in ... front and back so we can see the exact name of what you have?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
She means the box the coils come in

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
i do not have the box but i am certain it is an "Eleaf iStick TC40W"
The mod isn't what matters at this point... it's the coils we are concerned about.
Do you have a camera? Can you take a picture of YOUR actual coil instead of a stock photo?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok.. in my humble opinion...
it may be time to consider some newer devices and tanks

Since you already went there
What sort of budget are you considering?
Also, are you a former smoker or just looking at this as a hobby?

ja8

Member For 1 Year
Ok.. in my humble opinion...
it may be time to consider some newer devices and tanks

Since you already went there
What sort of budget are you considering?
Also, are you a former smoker or just looking at this as a hobby?

yeah i have been considering upgrading. Former smoker, yes, but im not trying to go all out. I just need good battery life, a decent hit, and maybe something i can fit in my pocket. Probably wouldnt spend more than 150 for a mod itself

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
yeah i have been considering upgrading. Former smoker, yes, but im not trying to go all out. I just need good battery life, a decent hit, and maybe something i can fit in my pocket. Probably wouldnt spend more than 150 for a mod itself
You can get a hell of a setup for that ...
do you want simple power only or do you want good accurate tc?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
this is the coil pack
Okay, I'm going to assume those are Kanthal since it's not marked NiCr or SS316L. You should only be using wattage mode with these coils.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
what is the difference between the two?
Temperature control lets you set a limit to how hot the coil gets and in some circles eliminates dry hits
Power mode is simple... set the power and vape.
Temp control requires either nickel or stainless steel
Power mode lets you use either stainless steel or kanthal
Most people, stick with stainless steel so they can use either tc or power mode.
Tc is also a little more involved to setup on the mod

ja8

Member For 1 Year
Temperature control lets you set a limit to how hot the coil gets and in some circles eliminates dry hits
Power mode is simple... set the power and vape.
Temp control requires either nickel or stainless steel
Power mode lets you use either stainless steel or kanthal
Most people, stick with stainless steel so they can use either tc or power mode.
Tc is also a little more involved to setup on the mod
well i suppose i have had TC, so that would be more familiar

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is probably one of the nicest mods out there with one of the best chips available.
You can literally customize every part of your vape experience.
Temperature, metal, power, .... length of preheat.
https://www.elementvape.com/lost-vape-paranormal-200w-dna250c-box-mod

This is a great starter kit with plenty of customizable options

https://www.elementvape.com/innokin-proton-235w-plex-tank-starter-kit

This is a great power mode only
Mod, great quality and very simple
To use.
https://www.elementvape.com/squid-industries-tac-21-200w-box-mod

I don’t use subohm tanks much of at all; but, from my understanding this is a good one to grab at a good price
https://www.elementvape.com/geek-vape-cerberus-sub-ohm-tank

And this one is just gorgeous
https://www.elementvape.com/dotmod-dottank-24mm-sub-ohm-tank

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
well i suppose i have had TC, so that would be more familiar
Take a look at the ones I put up there
Watch some reviews because I’m pretty sure they are vastly different from your current mod.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
thank you so much for your help! wow everyone is so nice here haha, dope
You're welcome... Hope it all works out for you! :)

VU Sponsors