Become a Patron!

Electric gurus... Explain sub ohm vaping

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, I know ohms law. That's not what this is about.... In any circuit, if resistance goes down, so does "load". As far as resistive heating, lower resistance, with the same current and voltage means less heat. Sooooo... We increase power. We increase current, and see more use, but that does not mean we are using more power. It just takes a higher current or voltage to get the same heat output of a lower resistance coil compared to a higher one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So then what is the point? Using a thinner wire, causes a higher heating. More surface area for juice contact. But just using a lower resistance, doesn't do anything a higher resistance does. That's what I'm not getting. The desire to go lower lower resistance.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thinner wire is more resistance, thicker wire is lower.
with sub ohm you require more power but get far better results in the output of flavor nd vapor.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thinner wire is more resistance, thicker wire is lower.
with sub ohm you require more power but get far better results in the output of flavor nd vapor.
Thanks, wire size wasn't making sense. I had it wrong.

So why do you get better results? The only thing... On paper... That makes more vapor is heat. Less resistance and more power gives "X" heat output. You can equal "X" heat output with higher resistance and less power. On paper.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I know ohms law. That's not what this is about.... In any circuit, if resistance goes down, so does "load". As far as resistive heating, lower resistance, with the same current and voltage means less heat. Sooooo... We increase power. We increase current, and see more use, but that does not mean we are using more power. It just takes a higher current or voltage to get the same heat output of a lower resistance coil compared to a higher one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So then what is the point? Using a thinner wire, causes a higher heating. More surface area for juice contact. But just using a lower resistance, doesn't do anything a higher resistance does. That's what I'm not getting. The desire to go lower lower resistance.
Well I've found the lower gauge wire is thicker, gets hotter and covers more cotton per wrap..I use high powered VW mods for my low sub ohm builds.. Lately I've been using 24g Nichrome with good results..Nichrome has a lower resistance than the same gauge in Kanthel, and I can get a few extra wraps and still hit my target of .2-.25 ohms I prefer in my builds.. But I'm a cloud chaser at heart, a .22 ohm build using 24g or lower blows awesome clouds at 75-80w or so..just sayin

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

VU Sponsors