Become a Patron!

Erm, I just realised my protank isn't actually a protank.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. When I knew a bit about vaping (Around 2013) a lot of people spoke of the protank. I stopped smoking 8 months ago but have started vaping zero nic for the flavours.

Well, a couple of days ago I ordered a 'protank II mini". It works great, and makes lovely vapour compared to my disposable clearomiser things. This come with 2 replaceable atomizers included, I will be buying more as I am enjoying it a lot.

Thing is, this protank come in a small white box, and is not made by Kanger. It works fine, but is this an issue? It has the CE mark of safety, but I know china can print that. It seems to be of a high quality, and to be honest when I previously vaped I used chinese throwaways anyway.

I will only be using this for a couple of weeks as I am going to spend £50-60 on a nice setup for myself, although I have no idea what to buy.

So really, my question is has anyone experienced these so called protanks? Like I said it works great, and cost me a lot less ( I did not realise at the time the cost of a genuine one) but want to know it's not likely to blow up in my face lol.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hi people. When I knew a bit about vaping (Around 2013) a lot of people spoke of the protank. I stopped smoking 8 months ago but have started vaping zero nic for the flavours.

Well, a couple of days ago I ordered a 'protank II mini". It works great, and makes lovely vapour compared to my disposable clearomiser things. This come with 2 replaceable atomizers included, I will be buying more as I am enjoying it a lot.

Thing is, this protank come in a small white box, and is not made by Kanger. It works fine, but is this an issue? It has the CE mark of safety, but I know china can print that. It seems to be of a high quality, and to be honest when I previously vaped I used chinese throwaways anyway.

I will only be using this for a couple of weeks as I am going to spend £50-60 on a nice setup for myself, although I have no idea what to buy.

So really, my question is has anyone experienced these so called protanks? Like I said it works great, and cost me a lot less ( I did not realise at the time the cost of a genuine one) but want to know it's not likely to blow up in my face lol.
You are good, it will NOT blow up on you. Clones can sometimes be hit or miss on performance but it seems you have a good one so just enjoy.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am sure you are safe, the design is pretty basic so I am sure it will work fine. One recommendation, if you have a local shop that carries the air control base like found on the new Aerotank and/or Genitank it screws right on. It makes a world of difference for about $6 US.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've had authentic ones and knock off ones. They've both worked fine. If yours is working, too, I'd also agree that you're A-OK. I love mine. Either, lol.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I've had great luck with my knockoff protanks from Fasttech. Stock coils are sometimes crappy, but I build my own anyway. With the $$ I save I can be sure I have the very best/safest/authentic chargers, batteries, adapters - the items with true "blow up" or melt-down potential.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everything we buy anymore is a clone. Looking into our 3rd overhead backdoor light here on the house. THREE! Been here just 4 years in August. And yes I know what I'm doing.

Back in the day a standard backdoor light fixture would last a persons life time. And you don't even wanna get me started on car parts and cheeseburgers.

BuddJohnson

Member For 4 Years
The cloned Protanks are usually ok, but I occasionally find a few minor quirks in them such as scrunchy threading or a loose drip tip, nothing that has caused any long term problems tho. Cloned coil heads are another thing altogether, I would never buy cloned coil heads again. The few packs I experimented with had uneven coil wraps, misaligned coil positions and disheveled silica throughout the pack, causing hot-spots and an overall poor vape quality. Always get the Authentic coil heads... or better yet, learn to rebuild for a better than authentic coil.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am thinking of learning to rebuild eventually. I've decided I am getting myself a 30 watt mod box that takes a 18650 battery, will order it next saturday when I get my money. I am going to order some coils with it so I can use it right away, but the payday after I am going to spend some money on a nice tank to get a good experience.
I already can't wait to get it! And I'm glad it will be OK(The protank clone, I tend to overly worry) , I will be using a Samsung battery in my cloupor 30W so I think that should be pretty safe.

Also, I'm in the UK but I will look out for the air control base if it makes a difference to the experience. My Fiancee is also giving up smoking so I wil let her have a go at it with a seperate tank to take Nic juice.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Another thing you might want to try (if you want more airflow in your mini protank) is to simply drill out the holes in the bottom of the tank. There should be two of them - just use a drill bit to make them a little bigger. And if you find you went overboard and made them too big (i.e. too much airflow), just plug one of them with a piece of tape or something.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everything we buy anymore is a clone. Looking into our 3rd overhead backdoor light here on the house. THREE! Been here just 4 years in August. And yes I know what I'm doing.

Back in the day a standard backdoor light fixture would last a persons life time. And you don't even wanna get me started on car parts and cheeseburgers.
Damn, just installed my third and figured that was too many, and I've been in my place seven years...granted salt air here mutilates everything.

To OP's point, there are good and bad clones - looks like he's got a good one. Also, while I've been known to cheap out on fake atomizers, like @HeadInClouds says I put that money into buying good batteries and chargers, since that's where the real danger lies...

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I quit Kanger coils and shifted to Smok coils because the Kanger coils are small and have tiny wicking holes. I like a wider coil with larger wicking holes. Personal preference.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I quit Kanger coils and shifted to Smok coils because the Kanger coils are small and have tiny wicking holes. I like a wider coil with larger wicking holes. Personal preference.
Are you saying SMOK coils work in kanger protanks?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used to use Kanger T3s coils in my Smok ARO tanks because they were more accessible at the time...would figure it goes both ways.
Ok..cool...first ive heard of the coils interchangeable...learned something new today :)

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Smok ADC review follows the GDC review in the above video. Click the upper left corner video after end of GDC review.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does my protank have a 'drip tip"? What are the advantages of that? Its easy enough to unscrew it to fill, so am not sure what the drip tip is for. It seems like the tip is built in, but looking at the protanks they have drip tips so I guess this clone has one.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you paid the price of an authentic for a clone, then it's not fine.
If you paid the price of a clone and as you say it works fine, then what's the problem?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi nightshard, that wasn't my question, I have no problem with the clone or clones at all, and it cost a lot less. I was just wondering if someone knew if it had a drip tip or not- it didn't lol, I tried it and juice started coming out of the airholes. Maybe I used it wrong?

EDIT: I think I used it completely wrong. Does a drip tip go in place of the tank over the coil, so you can drip a few drops onto it? As I just dropped a few drops of juice down the fully set up tank lol.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi nightshard, that wasn't my question, I have no problem with the clone or clones at all, and it cost a lot less. I was just wondering if someone knew if it had a drip tip or not- it didn't lol, I tried it and juice started coming out of the airholes. Maybe I used it wrong?

EDIT: I think I used it completely wrong. Does a drip tip go in place of the tank over the coil, so you can drip a few drops onto it? As I just dropped a few drops of juice down the fully set up tank lol.
"drip tip" is kind of a generic term for the removable mouthpieces. You can only drip through them on an RDA (which is where the term originates i believe). You may wanna take a paper towel and dry that out or you'll be drinking your juice for a couple hours :D

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"drip tip" is kind of a generic term for the removable mouthpieces. You can only drip through them on an RDA (which is where the term originates i believe). You may wanna take a paper towel and dry that out or you'll be drinking your juice for a couple hours :D
Haha yeah, that was a bit of a boo boo on my side lol. I have disinfected the protank anyway for tommorow as I have a throat infection, and don't want to give it back to myself through vaping lol.

An RDA? I am going for a nautilus or aerotank and they come with a drip tip, I don't really know all the terms so am I already stepping into the world of RDA's ?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Go with the Nautilus, yes it has a removable drip tip.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Haha, glad you got it cleaned up! Unless there's something i don't know, you can't actually drip through the drip tip on a tank. An RDA is commonly referred to as a "dripper" but stands for rebuildable dripping atomizer. Same principle as a tank, except you drip right onto the wick instead of filling a tank that feeds the wick. That's where (i believe) the term drip tip comes from since most RDA mouthpieces allow you to drip right through them onto the wick/coils :D

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So just so I understand, say I went with the nautilus and wanted to use it in drip tip mode, I would remove the pyrex tank, and then screw the drip tip in its place? I then place a drip or two on the atty, and away I go?

I don't know wether to get nautilus mini or standard, the mini hold too little juice, the standard too much. About 2.5-3ml would of been perfect.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So just so I understand, say I went with the nautilus and wanted to use it in drip tip mode, I would remove the pyrex tank, and then screw the drip tip in its place? I then place a drip or two on the atty, and away I go?

I don't know wether to get nautilus mini or standard, the mini hold too little juice, the standard too much. About 2.5-3ml would of been perfect.

No, no. It just means that the mouthpiece is removable, and in most cases, has a 510 connection that allows it to take any driptip you might want to use that has the same size connection. So you remove the driptip (buy pulling on it) and then put the new one in its place.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The drip tip is a just a looks thing. It doesn't change the functionality at all.

VU Sponsors