Become a Patron!

Erythritol The surprisingly natural sweetener with a weird name.

Do you use sweetener in your juice?

• YES

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • NO

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • What is sweetener?

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

dmagicp

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have gotten a lot of questions about this over the last few months so I figured that I would write an article about it to help shed some light on this new sweetening phenomenon that is erythritol. Have you ever had some of those sugar free Reese cups from Walgreen? Or how about those Turtles pecan and caramel chocolates? Remember how you ate the whole bag and then had the runs an hour later? Or perhaps you knew of this amazing laxative effect and played pranks on your friends by giving them these treats and watching the resulting fireworks :teehee::devil::facepalm:. Err. Ahem. Well then you have probably had erythritol and didn't even realize it.

Erythritol is actually a natural sweetener unlike the overpowering sucralose that has been, in my opinion, highly overused in todays commercial juices. Erythritol was discovered by a chemist named John Stenhouse in 1948. However he is most well known for his invention of the first gas mask. Perhaps the constant stomach rumbling and flatulence from the erythritol provided the motivation? We will never know, but back to the topic at hand. Erythritol (2R,3S)-butane-1,2,3,4-tetraol) can occur naturally in plant matter in small quantities, however, the erythritol that we consume, is produced from corn starches that are extracted, then fermented with yeast to produce a sugar alcohol. And before I bore you to death with more, too much scientific, mumbo jumbo, here is one more fun fact. Erythritol, much like that jug of pure Nicotine that I have in my lab, can be used as an insecticide. Somehow, I can already hear the FDA saying that e liquid has a dangerous chemical pesticide in it called ERYTHRITOL!!!!. ( see? we need to change this crazy sounding name) Which brings me to another point. If you don't like that commercial juice that you just spent 25 bucks on, you can always spray it on your tomato plants next spring to get rid of the fruit flies?

But enough of that. How does it taste, How much does it cost, And where can I buy it? Well. I can tell you that Erythritol straight from the bottle tastes to me just like sweet syrup. I get no after taste from it and it does not seem to gunk up my coils anymore than if I had not used it. It is only about 60% as sweet as sucrose though so it won't give you that incredible sugar tongue sensation when you vape it, which is fine with me. In my mixes, I tend to use it between .5 and 1% to add a sweet note to my flavors. To Bend them into a candy like flavor add 2% erythritol and 1% ethyl maltol. Be aware, however that ethyl maltol will dumb down and mute your flavor somewhat so going over 2% will just prove to destroy all of your hard work anyway.

Erythritol is not that expensive. You can purchase it from ecig express as a stand alone sweetener which I have purchased once in the 10 ml configuration, and have since upgraded my purchase to a 30 ml bottle. Also another thing to note, is that it is suspended in VG instead of PG so you will need to make that distinction in the ejuice me up app.

And with that, I hope that someone will make this a sticky so that people will be able to link to this article in the future. I also hope that you will give this Natural sweetener, with the chemically sounding name a try. You just might find yourself ordering a 30 ml bottle too.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have gotten a lot of questions about this over the last few months so I figured that I would write an article about it to help shed some light on this new sweetening phenomenon that is erythritol. Have you ever had some of those sugar free Reese cups from Walgreen? Or how about those Turtles pecan and caramel chocolates? Remember how you ate the whole bag and then had the runs an hour later? Or perhaps you knew of this amazing laxative effect and played pranks on your friends by giving them these treats and watching the resulting fireworks :teehee::devil::facepalm:. Err. Ahem. Well then you have probably had erythritol and didn't even realize it.

Having been a diabetic for 10+ years those are the only type of candy I ever eat, along with some of the Atkins stuff.
They used to give me a belly ache and bad gas, but don't even phase me anymore.
Funny when I offer them to my wife, kids & grandkids they always decline.
It's nice to not have to hide my goodies anymore when company arrives:D.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny, I just ran into this post. I just tasted a drop of Erythritol on my finger and it is like sweet syrup. I then tasted a drop of Stevia in a 7.5% mix into PG and that doesn't taste good. I stopped using Sucralose a while ago, can't stand the stuff with the aftertaste.

I wound up buying the Erythritol from Nude nicotine after I read there description of how heat stable it is, won't gunk your coils: https://www.nudenicotine.com/product/erythritol-solution-5/

The only other sweetener I use in fruit mixes sometimes is from One on One. They won't say what is in there, just that it does not have Stevia or Sucralose. It has a citrus like scent and tastes a little like 7up but brightens fruit mixes and no aftertaste.

Great write up, very informative. Thank you.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Stenhouse, huh? Wonder where he's from; that's one of the family names in my stepfather's family. They're from South Carolina.

Andria

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a 30ml bottle of Erythritol in VG from Nude Nicotine about 3-4 years ago. Just started using it but it doesn't taste sweet to me, even right out of the test tube like bottle they packaged it in. It says 5% Erythritol on the bottle so I am about to buy some powdered Erythritol from Amazon and attempt to make my own VG based sweetener for DIY.

While I love sugar, I absolutely cannot stand Sucralose/Splenda, Stevia, NutraSweet/Equal (Aspartame), etc, etc and I hate the commercial eliquids that are LOADED with Sucralose - SUPER NASTY AFTERTASTE!!! YAK!!

I have searched high and low for someone that is making this themselves to get a starting point but cannot find ANYTHING so I will have to do some experimenting!!

Planning to start at 10% because 5% just doesn't seem to have any taste/sweetness. I go through about 10ml of juice a day so it shouldn't take me too long to narrow this down. Hopefully just a week or two. I will report back with my findings.

Wish me luck, lol

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I foresee issues getting this stuff to dissolve in VG - Might have to mix it with a tad of everclear first as I don't want to heat the vg to make it dissolve...

and will try it in PG too - none of the calculators allow for changing flavors (sweetener) to VG instead of PG so it would simplify things a bit - right now, I reduce the calculated VG and increase the calculated PG by the amount of this I'm using (generally 1g VG (.8ml)). Mixing the Erythritol with PG would resolve that issue and perhaps allow it to dissolve better. I mix by weight (grams) so this isn't 100% accurate but close enough imo.

Most Definitely open to suggestions/ideas/thoughts about this!!!!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I purchased the Erythritol in Powdered form so it will dissolve better (hopefully)...

Anthony's seems to be one of the best brands according to reviews.

IMG_20221024_132522382 (3).jpg

When tasting it straight out of the package, it does in fact have a cooling sensation - as noted by others in some of the reviews. I am not sure if this will give a cooling sensation when vaped though. It is def not as sweet as sugar - claims say it's about 70% as sweet where Sucralose is like 600 times sweeter than sugar. I have no idea what percentage companies are using to mix sucralose into PG to make "Sweetener".

I looked up the weight of VG and PG

30ml of VG weighs 37.8 grams
30ml of PG weighs 28.958 grams (I'll just simplify and call it 29g)

Since I mix by weight, I'm going to make the Erythritol mixture based on weight and start at 10%

I do not know how much 30ml of Erythritol powder weighs and am not sure how to best figure this out so
1. I would appreciate any help/suggestions!!

For my first experiment I will just pretend it weighs the same as the product I'm mixing it in for ease of measurements.
2. I know this isn't correct but am not sure how else to do this. Maybe someone is or knows a 'scientist/lab tech" who can help us with this??? Trying to keep this simple - without a bunch of complex calculations!

This is going to be skewed for 2 reasons - VG weighs more and is sweeter than PG so by using this method, the VG version is going to have more Erythritol and is already sweeter than PG so it's going to be significantly sweeter. This is a bit backwards IMO - Since VG is sweeter, I think I need to be adding more Erythritol to the PG to get the same sweetness level
3. Pick a Method
METHOD 1

So, based on my skewed calculations -
For VG it would be 3.78 grams Erythritol mixed in 34.02 grams VG = 10% Erythritol by weight
For PG it would be 2.90 grams Erythritol mixed in 26.10 grams PG = 10% Erythritol by weight.

Maybe I should swap the Erythritol amounts between VG and PG to help balance this out?
YEAH - not very scientific at all!

hmmmmm - Just thinking 'out loud'...

What if I just do 3 grams Erythritol then subtract that from the total weights of 30ml
METHOD 2
VG - 3 grams Erythritol to 34.8 grams VG = 30ml (37.8g)
PG - 3 grams Erythritol to 26.0 grams PG = 30ml (29.0g)

This still isn't going to be entirely accurate and the VG will still be sweeter (since it's naturally sweeter) so maybe increase the Erythritol to 3.5 grams for the PG?
METHOD 3
VG - 3.0g Erythritol to 34.8g VG
PG - 3.5g Erythritol to 25.5g PG -
maybe this isn't enough difference???

METHOD 4
VG - 3.0g Erythritol to 34.8g VG
PG - 4.0g Erythritol to 25.0g PG

4. What do you all think about this?

Keeping in mind that I will need to make multiple variations to get the mixture sweet enough to use - or may have to back down a bit - could just use more/less of the mixture in the recipe too.

ARGH!!! - too many variables!!! I need another brain or 3 to help with this!!!

VU Sponsors