Become a Patron!

Evolv dropped the DNA 250?

iiKryptic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hopefully this drops the market price on the 200 mods. Wonder why Evolv have them at the same price?

iiKryptic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Someone on my FB group said that it will now do 160w with 2 18650's

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all comes down to what mods they come out with... 250 watts? I don't think so

VAPE ON

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jeez, dude, I don't do pre made coils bro, I avoid them for this specific reason

VAPE ON

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the 250 will still run on 3cells and in 160 configuration it will still be two cells
they also dropped the dna60, same foot print as the dna40, so anyone with a dna40 laying around can easily swap out the boards

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
from evolv::
Evolv is once again proud to announce our new DNA 250 board. The boards are available now in extremely limited quantities. Because of component lead times customers will be limited to 1 board per device that they plan to release plus one board as a spare. We expect this to improve as component lead times improve.

The DNA 250 is the same size as the DNA 200, uses 3 cell series voltage input, utilizing the same mounting and layout for the buttons, screen, and USB with the addition of a few exciting features.

-250 Watts max

-55 Amp current output limit

-2 Amp charging via Micro USB

-Onboard reverse voltage protection

-Higher current fuse

-Smoother control system for Stainless Steel wire with Temperature Protection
(This is a firmware update and is also available for the 200, giving it a similar control structure to the DNA 75)

Spec sheets and models will be available some time next week.

Individual retail quantity pricing is as follows:

$80.00

it will fit in place of the 200

Hi all
I own one of the new boxermod dna250
It is indeed 167w on dual 18650.
They are really nice, extemely expensive with customs etc.
But fantastic i love it, weighs nothing.
Will post some pics shortly

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
any new features on the 250 board that are not on the 200?

I have never owned a dna 200 so not really the greatest person to comment.
Was in the market for a new mod and found this one on gingervaper.
Was in the right place at the right time really.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well i just hope they had everythign right from the get go on the 250 since they cant release updates without fda approval

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
no i dont need 250 watts
but for those who buy one
i hope they get a device that dont need updates
becuase the regs classify software as a tobacco product
so one could consider an update to be a new product
im no laywer either
but the possibility exists with the horrible wording used by the FDA on the regs that evolve cant release updates o the boards software without approval

which wold suck for anyone if the 250 has an issue

so i hope for anyone getting one that they got it right the first time in case the FDA says an update to its frimware would need approval first

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
From what I've read the DNA250 has built in reverse polarity protection, higher amp fuse, and 2 amp on-board charging.

Cheers,
Steve
ok .. so nothing that woud make me "have" to replace my 200s

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
i'll probobaly pick up a board and build something with some of the spare parts and a printed box.... eventually
but, considering most of my mods are VS and have a 2a charger, I don't see a feature worth the investment- WHICH MAKES ME GLAD!!!!
I'm so glad they didn't do a yihi,

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, YiHi could of owned the high watt market if they only got their heads out of their butts and made a 200 watt device with updateable firmware, they rode the Sx-mini into the ground.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
its a mod, and they make great boards

problem is, the pfm in tc, drives me wacky. But they totally kick ass in Kanthal mode

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
250 watts of shit!!! The fuck is wrong with these greedy mofuckers

VAPE ON

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea, the market is at 400W now! :giggle:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
250 watts of shit!!! The fuck is wrong with these greedy mofuckers

VAPE ON
think its more less, trying to make sure they are current through whatever the future may bring. Even prorape is doing a 60w and a {kind of} temp control box now.

Yihi released the sx550 TFT at tge same time as the DNA250.
My DNA250 is up on Ebay.
Being greedy seeing if anyone is desperate for one as it is on for v high price.
But would take that to get it off me as i love the mod.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got to say, 250W is insane for the majority, but I do like that each board has 2A charging.

I know the vaporshark offers this with their DNA200, none of mine do though, and I feel that is an improvement over the 200-if only the 200 could be a firmware upgrade to 2A charging I would be happy, but understand that is not possible.

I currently don't have windows installed, so have yet to try the newer firmware which I hear works a lot better with SS in TC mode, can anyone verify this and if there is a noticeable improvement?

How long till we see the first mass produced half Kw mod on the market lol.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I currently don't have windows installed, so have yet to try the newer firmware which I hear works a lot better with SS in TC mode, can anyone verify this and if there is a noticeable improvement?
Well I'll post two graphs showing the difference in the stability of TC using SS316L. Here's the first one with the firmware update. The horizontal Red line is showing the temperature I set. The Red line coming up then running on top is my actual temperature. What that says to me is it's coming up to Temperature and staying there without swinging above and below my set temperature.

With Updated firmware V1.2 SP3
ss316l-with-new-fiemware-png.58414

This second graph with the older firmware (2016-02-29) I don't have the set temperature line in it. It just has the actual red temp line. As you can see it's swinging up and down. It's not holding a stable temp. .
ss316l-tc-graph-png.58415

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what is it meant for lipos and 4X18650, because I don't see it being safe with 3 unless they are true 30As.
Soon mods will look like this
220px-Telecar-cd.jpg

iiKryptic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what is it meant for lipos and 4X18650, because I don't see it being safe with 3 unless they are true 30As.
Meant for lipo batts. But can be used in dual 18650 configuration, which is than bucked down to 160 usable watts for battery safety.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Meant for lipo batts. But can be used in dual 18650 configuration, which is than bucked down to 160 usable watts for battery safety.
Yes I know that, but I suppose that eventually someone will want to use it in a 250W mod with 18650s.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I know that, but I suppose that eventually someone will want to use it in a 250W mod with 18650s.
At full charge it will be pulling 20 amps per cell to reach 250 watts. At 3.33v per cell (10 total) it will be pulling 25 amps. I think 2 battery 200 watt mods along with 3 battery 300 watt mods, etc are the truly ridiculous mods. I would have preferred they stuck to 75 watts per cell, but 83.3 isn't really that much different. I'm sure it will have an input limit, just like all DNA chips do. It also has a fuse. The datasheet isn't on their site yet but I believe it will be between 25-30 amps.

PS Do you post the same stuff on 2 cell 200 watt mods? That is worse than a 3 cell 250 watt!

Cheers,
Steve

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
evolv being evolv, sort of shocks me at 250w on a 3s lipo. That said, it is possible to do, as is a 3 18650s pulling that much power.

again, it is possible, and it is possible to do it safely; however, as is the case with all batteries and power management: don't expect any sort of substantial battery life at that level.

evolv has always been a step ahead of provape on power distribution and a few steps behind yihi on it, all the while keeping safety and accuracy in the forefront.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think that running at 200W with 2 batteries even 30As, using Chinese chips is a good idea and neither is 220W.
The Chinese companies are just competing with each other at the expense of their customers.

Back to the matter at hand, running 250W with 4 18650, each at 62.5W should be fine, it's just the form factor that is going to be over the top.

Visus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
evolv being evolv, sort of shocks me at 250w on a 3s lipo. That said, it is possible to do, as is a 3 18650s pulling that much power.

again, it is possible, and it is possible to do it safely; however, as is the case with all batteries and power management: don't expect any sort of substantial battery life at that level.

evolv has always been a step ahead of provape on power distribution and a few steps behind yihi on it, all the while keeping safety and accuracy in the forefront.
Not true Provape in the vaping begins had the most powerful ecig mod on the planet, a huge whopper and coveted because it was 15watts in the Provari. At that time Evolv was only capable of 12 watts with the DNA12 board.. You could parallel them for 24 watts but that was a very customized custom order or hobby mod..

I'll never understand Provape; why they snobbed and douched without sticking to that strategy of building the most rugged and powerful e cigs..

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not true Provape in the vaping begins had the most powerful ecig mod on the planet, a huge whopper and coveted because it was 15watts in the Provari. At that time Evolv was only capable of 12 watts with the DNA12 board.. You could parallel them for 24 watts but that was a very customized custom order or hobby mod..

I'll never understand Provape; why they snobbed and douched without sticking to that strategy of building the most rugged and powerful e cigs..
ive had opportunities to speak with their engineering team.
part of it is their business model, customer retention and market they want to stick with. Another part is staying in the ULTRA safe area assuming their customers wont be able to identify the difference between a 6A battery and 20A battery. The other, I think, is pure ignorance.

I remember one conversation they told me that the few batteries that could push 50w couldn't do that all day and they didn't want customers changing batteries.

I'm glad they care that much about me carrying batteries.
- oh yeah, and they don't believe in temp control. That's cool, I didn't realize it was a deity.

bottom line though, they do make some exceptionally well constructed gear, and, I do like the 50w tube. If they ever teamed up with evolve, I would buy one in a second. I still have issues with the concept of a plastic mod.- I know is not like regular plastic.... but its still, no, I cant do it.

Visus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ive had opportunities to speak with their engineering team.
part of it is their business model, customer retention and market they want to stick with. Another part is staying in the ULTRA safe area assuming their customers wont be able to identify the difference between a 6A battery and 20A battery. The other, I think, is pure ignorance.

I remember one conversation they told me that the few batteries that could push 50w couldn't do that all day and they didn't want customers changing batteries.

I'm glad they care that much about me carrying batteries.
- oh yeah, and they don't believe in temp control. That's cool, I didn't realize it was a deity.

bottom line though, they do make some exceptionally well constructed gear, and, I do like the 50w tube. If they ever teamed up with evolve, I would buy one in a second. I still have issues with the concept of a plastic mod.- I know is not like regular plastic.... but its still, no, I cant do it.

That tube is absolutely the bees knees yep yep for form.

If they went with their origin biznuss model their market share would have us better loaded for the FdA..
Us hobby builders have been building mods with 150W capabilities since 2013 way before market and we were shouting the vape is awesome at 40-100W+.. Like you say, " their ignorance.

A collab with Evolv :coffee2: -- but its too late now for total mass market perhaps, China mods today are no joke and the prices pfft awesome...

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
True. If they came out with a 75 watt DNA tube mod, perhaps in 26650 format, I'd get one.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That tube is absolutely the bees knees yep yep for form.

If they went with their origin biznuss model their market share would have us better loaded for the FdA..
Us hobby builders have been building mods with 150W capabilities since 2013 way before market and we were shouting the vape is awesome at 40-100W+.. Like you say, " their ignorance.

A collab with Evolv :coffee2: -- but its too late now for total mass market perhaps, China mods today are no joke and the prices pfft awesome...

amazes me how they proudly launch the P3 and the radius; but, when they put out mods that are usable in todays market, its under the cover of darkness and whispered about, to avoid alientating the core audience of buyers. - you know those cats that need 15 of the same mod. not there is anything wrong with that, I had 9 dna40s at one time. just sad that hey are dependant on the same handful of folks for the success of their product.
- I say enjoing a dual coil build at 48w on my prorape

VU Sponsors