Become a Patron!

Evolv LLC: are you reading this? If you are, FUCK YOU!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a Vaporflask v2 (DNA40) a little over two months ago. It worked fine for a while, but now it's developped a fault that your distributor reckons is a firmware problem.

Since I need to send my Flask back for repair/replacement, I bought a Vaporshark rDNA v2 (big screen, latest version of your board presumably) as a backup. I've been using it for exactly 2 minutes, and what do I see? Garbled screen!

Cost of the Flask: 320 euros.
Cost of the Vaporshark: 189 euros
Total cost: 509 euros.

And what do I have to show for it? Two badly functioning devices. ALL THANKS TO YOU, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!

There's no information on your website. Good companies who sell products with a firmware should document the version of the firmware, and offer a changelog to see what's changed from one version to the next. You don't do none of those things, and the firmware version isn't available on the screen anyway. I've worked as a software engineer in the past, and I can tell you this: YOU'RE A FUCKING BUNCH OF AMATEURS.

When I email you to ask you precise technical questions, you either don't reply or tell me to contact the mod's manufacturer. Are you embarrassed of the products you're putting out? You should be! Or maybe you plain don't give a shit. Good companies communicate with their customers. You don't, so you ain't one of them.

And the screen garbling issue: why isn't this solved already? How long does it take to revise a PCB?

I was so pleased with my Flask when it worked well that I was wondering why everybody was so annoyed with you. Now I know.

Because you couldn't do good products if your life depended on it, you've managed to turn gold (your brilliant temp control feature) into a steaming pile of shit.

And you've managed to turn a happy and patient user (me) into a very angry customer who'll never ever buy any of your products ever again.

Now that the Chinese have cloned your product - and have done it right, apparently - I'll buy temperature control from them from now on.

FUCK YOU EVOLV!

Last edited:

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That sucks man.. I think we were all under the impression the rDNA firmware/screen issue was fixed a few months ago.. Guess not!

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm so damn tired of Giraut holding back.....tell us how you really feel! :mad:
Hey Evolv, there's a shit ton of vapers reading this so ya better man up and fix some stuff or it'll be off to the trash pile with you!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sucks man.. I think we were all under the impression the rDNA firmware/screen issue was fixed a few months ago.. Guess not!

Sure ain't:

rDNA_v2_garbled_screen_issue1_zpsol3iabei.jpg

I'm so damn tired of Giraut holding back.....tell us how you really feel! :mad:

I have been holding back. I'm everybody's dream customer: I'm patient, willing to work things out with the reseller or manufacturer, and I'm usually inclined to cut small innovative startups a lot more slack than I would a large company that should know better.

But... too much is too much. The Evolv folks are useless. Okay, so their first DNA40 boards were bananaware (i.e. they sold them green, and let them ripen at the customers'). They've used the early adopters as beta-testers. Fair enough: early adopters usually get teething problems. But they ain't fixed nothing since, and they carry on shitfing crap products as if nothing had ever happened. At this point, that's called taking people for fools - and I guess I'm the biggest fool of all, for buying another one and trusting that most problems had been worked out.

Last edited:

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And lets not forget these devices are not cheap.. I could expect this from a 50$ device.. but 200-300$.. there's just no excuse for issues this far down the road

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never heard of this happening until now. I was in the market for something from evolv awhile ago too.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
my vaporshark rDNA40 i received in the mail one week ago today is currently on its way back to FL for the same reason...bad screen ...and connectivity issues with both ni200 and kanthal

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never heard of this happening until now. I was in the market for something from evolv awhile ago too.

yep, its a know problem, i waited this long to get one hoping the problems would be ironed out.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My sub-$100 Chinese mods have far fewer problems. Just sayin'...

not only that, but smok has the m80 plus coming out very soon ($60ish mod, and it is 80W), and yihi has a temp control chip around the corner (120W)

I can see sigelei, P4U, and yihi all making temp control mods with the yihi chip

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to say though, all that isn't from Evolv in the rDNA 40 is great. I love the wireless charging thing particularly. Too bad about the chip...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
That DNA40 has been a turd since they launched it. Coincidence that Brandon from Evolv was on the trip to China along with Phil and Dimitri, eh?

You may be able to fix the screen, though. I've read that it's an issue where the screen connects to its wiring that is easily addressed by someone with a little tech know-how. I think Reddit has a DIY tutorial.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have to say though, all that isn't from Evolv in the rDNA 40 is great. I love the wireless charging thing particularly. Too bad about the chip...

i love the size of the rDNA40, love the magnetic cover, i rally like the mod itself, just having issues with the chip, (unless the connectivity problems are in the wiring or 510 connection)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You may be able to fix the screen, though. I've read that it's an issue where the screen connects to its wiring that is easily addressed by someone with a little tech know-how. I think Reddit has a DIY tutorial.

I have plenty of knowledge, being an electronics and computer engineer (at least in a previous life :)). The point is, when I spend north of 300 euros for a friggin' glorified regulated power supply (because really, that's what a mod is), I want it to work flawlessly out of the box, and for a long time too! Worse, because I rely on that power supply to keep me off cigarettes, I NEED it to work. Period.

At that price, I shouldn't need to do anything myself to fix the issue, and I most certainly won't. If I want to spend time playing with vaping electronics, I'll design my own mod thank you very much.

Okay, so the display issue in my rDNA doesn't prevent it from vaping. That's more than can be said for my Vapor Flask, which has gone totally tonto. I also realize that, out of the 509 euros I've blown on these flawed Evolv-powered devices, only about 130 euros have gone into Evolv's pocket. But that's 130 euros I could have spent on a nice gift for the missus. I worked hard for that money, and I can't help but feel I've been took.

Then again, caveat emptor: you can always say I shouldn't have bought the second device, knowing what's happened to the first. That'd be fair enough. But hey, that's silly ole me I guess...

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, I completely agree with you, man. 100%. You spend that kind of money for something, and it should just friggin' work. Period. Just saying that for someone with your background, this may be a simple fix.

You bring up a good point about firmware. I think Provape is the only manufacturer that I've seen who does it: https://provape.zendesk.com/entries/58233684-ProVari-3-Software-Versions

now if only provape came out with a provari box mod :)

one can dream right?

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
most of my mech mods are clones, all of my attys (except kanger products) are clones, and i have a istick 30, and sigelei 150W
the istick was $36 and works like a champ! the sigelei want a "cheap mod" but it is not high end either and also works like a champ

I wanted an authentic evolv/vaporshark this time around, i am a little disappointed that its is a higher end mod and has so many problems. So far vaporshark customer service has been good though

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
heh.. at least.. with only 20 watt LOL
LOL! I watched Grimm Green review the Provari P3 the other day, and the whole time I'm thinking: "Who the hell would buy this thing?"

Then he mentioned that P Busardo always has a Provari in his pocket, and the world was right again.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL! I watched Grimm Green review the Provari P3 the other day, and the whole time I'm thinking: "Who the hell would buy this thing?"

Then he mentioned that P Busardo always has a Provari in his pocket, and the world was right again.

man.. i was pumped for the P3.. until I heard all features (or lack thereof) lol.. I had high hopes for that device too and everyone was sadly disappointed when they announced it..

i was actually thinking the other day I haven't seen one P3 review or thread since the 'provape announces P3' even right after release they were no where to be found on VU...

I can't say I wouldn't be down for a provape box mod - if it had say 60 watts, temp control, dual 18650's and built like the provaris - I would probably pay 300-350$ for it.. but I doubt this will happen since they love the tube style way too much and you are correct with assuming it would be 500-600$

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Dude... Honestly, give Busardo and the Greek a rest already. You don't like them. We get it. I don't either. But the way you use every opportunity to bash them makes you look like you have some kind of unhealthy mental fixation on them...

This is not about Busardo, this is about Evolv.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As much as I hate to say it, Limwell from china is shipping the VS40 right now. Just got the email this morning. They should show up on the market for 70 to 90 dollars. Might have been what Brandon was doing in china. Licensing rights

vaporshark40.jpg

Vaporshark RDNA (02-27-19-58-18).png

Vaporshark RNDA (02-27-19-58-18).png

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As much as I hate to say it, Limwell from china is shipping the VS40 right now. Just got the email this morning. They should show up on the market for 70 to 90 dollars. Might have been what Brandon was doing in china. Licensing rights

View attachment 15695

View attachment 15694

View attachment 15696
authentics?

also this is some bull shit. i dont use the temp control on mine so i never get the scrambled screen, but i do know my chip is defected and apparently there isnt much i can do about it. but it does work and has been working about 3.5 months everyday strong

with that said i wont be buying anymore dna products unless they show up much cheaper, like robert b is implying. would be nice if someone out of china cloning the flasks got rights to the dna chips, could see authentic flasks under $100 if thats the case. and i would buy one quickly. in fact i think licensing the rights to chinese manufacturers is evolv's smartest play at this point, let them do it at least if problems arise theyll have it fixed quickly. designed in america, manufactured overseas is a potent combination (see apple products) and a strategy ive always been behind for many macro reasons

either way my next device will be an sx mini m class. hopefully one day evolv can get their shit together, there is only so many chances im willing to give a company before they are demoted in my mind and need to put forth some effort. seems like since they got their little patents they feel they are untouchable or something. not cool

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
authentics?

also this is some bull shit. i dont use the temp control on mine so i never get the scrambled screen, but i do know my chip is defected and apparently there isnt much i can do about it. but it does work and has been working about 3.5 months everyday strong

with that said i wont be buying anymore dna products unless they show up much cheaper, like robert b is implying. would be nice if someone out of china cloning the flasks got rights to the dna chips, could see authentic flasks under $100 if thats the case. and i would buy one quickly. in fact i think licensing the rights to chinese manufacturers is evolv's smartest play at this point, let them do it at least if problems arise theyll have it fixed quickly. designed in america, manufactured overseas is a potent combination (see apple products) and a strategy ive always been behind for many macro reasons

either way my next device will be an sx mini m class. hopefully one day evolv can get their shit together, there is only so many chances im willing to give a company before they are demoted in my mind and need to put forth some effort. seems like since they got their little patents they feel they are untouchable or something. not cool

I wasn't implying that the clones will have Evolv chips, but was implying that Brandon may have gone to china to ink licensing deals with his patent on Temp Control. He can't patent the chip set, but he did patent the TC idea.

If I were him, I'd rest easy collecting royalty checks, and either sell off the chip business or shut it down.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wasn't implying that the clones will have Evolv chips, but was implying that Brandon may have gone to china to ink licensing deals with his patent on Temp Control. He can't patent the chip set, but he did patent the TC idea.

If I were him, I'd rest easy collecting royalty checks, and either sell off the chip business or shut it down.
i wasnt aware he patented temp control, i know he patented wattage in ecig application (whatever that means). guess im just hoping against hope that the chinese get a hold of real chips somehow, if he does or did license out dna boards he would make an absolute killing for him and his investors

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i wasnt aware he patented temp control, i know he patented wattage in ecig application (whatever that means). guess im just hoping against hope that the chinese get a hold of real chips somehow, if he does or did license out dna boards he would make an absolute killing for him and his investors
The patent I read definitely had to do with TC. Limwell said this is not Evolv's chip, but said, "we make chip better". With all the problems evolv has, I wouldn't doubt they have made a better chip set. Having watched Busardo's video where he tour'd Evolv, their shop didn't strike me as very organized or clean. At least not compared to other manufacturing facilities I've seen.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]would be nice if someone out of china cloning the flasks got rights to the dna chips, could see authentic flasks under $100 if thats the case. and i would buy one quickly. in fact i think licensing the rights to chinese manufacturers is evolv's smartest play at this point,[...]

Why on god's green earth would the Chinese want to license Evolv's half-baked design? They can make a better temp control chip themselves - in fact, they've done it already.

The only reason why Chinese manufacturers would want to license Evolv's junk is to be able to stick "Made in the USA" on the box. Trouble is, that carries little value these days: consumers around the world are waking up to the fact that Chinese designs are every bit as good as American ones these days, if not better. And I'm not just talking about e-cigarettes.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see the bit about *patent* licensing from Robert B.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why on god's green earth would the Chinese want to license Evolv's half-baked design? They can make a better temp control chip themselves - in fact, they've done it already.

The only reason why Chinese manufacturers would want to license Evolv's junk is to be able to stick "Made in the USA" on the box. Trouble is, that carries little value these days: consumers around the world are waking up to the fact that Chinese designs are every bit as good as American ones these days, if not better. And I'm not just talking about e-cigarettes.

They aren't licensing their chip set design. I was conjecturing they were licensing the right to do Temperature control as a function of their own chip sets. No matter how they build it, they still have to license the idea since there is a patent on it. That is, if they want to sell chip sets with a TC function in the US.

***edit*** lol, I didn't see your "never mind". must have hit the post button at the same time.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see the bit about *patent* licensing from Robert B.
im only talking about replacing the cloned chips (again hoping against hope). at this point i think yihi is leaving evolv in the dust. however, even though the screens glitch most of them still have standing power and all of them regulate correctly. cant say that about most of the shit clone chips coming out of china, most of them dont even regulate power and will crap out if you short them or something petty like that. like i said i dont use the temp control so my screen never glitches. even though evolv screwed up im not willing to demote them under shitty dna clones, just under yihi which is their only real competition.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The patent I read definitely had to do with TC. Limwell said this is not Evolv's chip, but said, "we make chip better". With all the problems evolv has, I wouldn't doubt they have made a better chip set. Having watched Busardo's video where he tour'd Evolv, their shop didn't strike me as very organized or clean. At least not compared to other manufacturing facilities I've seen.
And every one jumps of China for being 'dirty' and 'bad'.. ;)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cannot patent an 'idea', only the way to realize that idea.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]like i said i dont use the temp control[...]

Incidentally, you're missing out on a great vaping experience.

I'll give credit where credit's due: Evolv's temp control idea is a complete game changer. The vape is healthier, tastier, and you quickly get used to never getting dry-hits. I hate going back to an ordinary mod now. The regulation algorithm itself in the DNA40 chip is bang on too actually: it seems to work flawlessly. I love it!

That makes the stupid side issues that have nothing to do with TC (battery life, battery metering, screen glitches...) all the more damning. When you have the misfortune of using a DNA40 that doesn't work well, you constantly have this awful feeling that it could be so great...

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I'll give credit where credit's due: Evolv's temp control idea is a complete game changer. The vape is healthier, tastier, and you quickly get used to never getting dry-hits. I hate going back to an ordinary mod now. The regulation algorithm itself in the DNA40 chip is bang on too actually: it seems to work flawlessly. I love it!

That makes the stupid side issues that have nothing to do with TC (battery life, battery metering, screen glitches...) all the more damning. When you have the misfortune of using a DNA40 that doesn't work well, you constantly have this awful feeling that it could be so great...
yea i did like it but i just think the nickel didnt work so well with my body. still love the idea of controlling my temperature though, just have farther to go with it

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yihi sx350 please. Fuck an evolv.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I borrowed a buddies VS40 to test out and had the screen issues. The mod had the big screen and was only a month or so old. The screen pixelation issues happened in both standard and temp control modes. My buddy said to take the battery out and put it back in, that would fix the issue. Why the hell would I buy a mod that was so glitchy that I had to do a hard reset by removing the power source? For $180, it was a turd of a mod. I bought a Kangaxin DNA40 Vaporflask clone with temp control and have been using it for a week with no issues at all, it's spot on accurate and the temp control works BETTER then the VS40. There's no flashing "temperature control" alert, the mod just varies the power down as the coil hits the set temperature.

I'm with Giraut, Evolv, LLC and Brandon can go fuck themselves. They've produced glitchy boards and have not really done a damn thing to remedy their engineering failures. No wonder why Brandon wants to off load this boat of crap to China.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Call me easily pleased, but personally I like the TEMPERATURE PROTECTED message: I use it as a "time to reload the atty" warning. The message usually comes up before I feel the flavor fading, so if I drip as soon as I see it, I never have to take a sub-par toke :)

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Call me easily pleased, but personally I like the TEMPERATURE PROTECTED message: I use it as a "time to reload the atty" warning. The message usually comes up before I feel the flavor fading, so if I drip as soon as I see it, I never have to take a sub-par toke :)
It'd be cool if instead of reading "temperature protected" it said "moar juice!"

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I tried something to try and solve the garbled screen issue, and it seems to have worked: I removed the battery, threw the rDNA40 in a ziplock back and in the freezer for 2 hours, and then I reinstalled the battery and immediately threw it on the wireless charger to warm it up real good. Now the display seems fine: I've vaped my rDNA the whole morning, and it hasn't once shown any sign of corruption.

I'm assuming the thermal shock has righted whatever was wrong on the PCB. Or so I hope :)

EDIT: Meh... Spoke too fast:

tmp_27076-rDNA_v2_garbled_screen_issue4832138100_zpsz5tib0ia.jpg

Last edited:

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I tried something to try and solve the garbled screen issue, and it seems to have worked: I removed the battery, threw the rDNA40 in a ziplock back and in the freezer for 2 hours, and then I reinstalled the battery and immediately threw it on the wireless charger to warm it up real good. Now the display seems fine: I've vaped my rDNA the whole morning, and it hasn't once shown any sign of corruption.

I'm assuming the thermal shock has righted whatever was wrong on the PCB. Or so I hope :)

EDIT: Meh... Spoke too fast:

tmp_27076-rDNA_v2_garbled_screen_issue4832138100_zpsz5tib0ia.jpg
A guy bought one at the Vaporshark booth at VCCT. Screen scrambled immediately. http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/2xj4l9/rdna_from_the_vaporshark_booth_at_vcct/

Vaporshark must be freaking out about evolv potentially wrecking their business. Must be a horrible quandary to be in. Really feel sorry for VS since it's no fault of their own. If I were VS, I would have flown to China and had face to face talks with YiHi.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, VS must be biting their collective lip for choosing to put their eggs in Evolv's backet. Too bad, because they seem to make really good quality, affordable products.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Had to jump in!
Totally agree, I picked up a rdna during the preorder fiasco, and after using it, bought a few more. went through the bad chip foolishness. And now, have a few rdna40s and the new vsDNA40s.
Well, I picked up a steal on an ipvmkni2 yesterday, after a dry hit at 50w you quickly realize exactly how awesome TC really is, and its so worth the money to not have that charred lung feeling. .

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A guy bought one at the Vaporshark booth at VCCT. Screen scrambled immediately. http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/2xj4l9/rdna_from_the_vaporshark_booth_at_vcct/

Vaporshark must be freaking out about evolv potentially wrecking their business. Must be a horrible quandary to be in. Really feel sorry for VS since it's no fault of their own. If I were VS, I would have flown to China and had face to face talks with YiHi.
would not surprise me at all to see vaporshark team up with yihi on a new device. they get custom boards from evolv, see no reason why yihi couldnt do the same

VU Sponsors