Become a Patron!

Evolv/smoktech Kick , worth installing ?

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I was wondering if I should consider adding a Kick or Kick 2 to my next purchase ?
Is it a safety issue or just a performance thing ?
Anyone using these things ?
Are the clones , smoktech , China , as good as the Evolv ones ?
Is there anything else out there that will do a better job ?

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I find the Kick/Kick 2 massively underwhelming. Too little power. Mechs are in general a slightly higher risk devices than most VV/VW, and they are also gimped by their reliance on battery discharge curves to maintain power.

I started vaping on a 15watt VV/VW, then went mech and loved it, then found 110 watts were possible from vv/vw and ditched all my mechs (gathering dust on my desk). Once you get a vape off a powerful VV that no mech can match, pull after pull, kinda start to think.... whats the point.

That said, the crown is pretty much the best of the 3 drop in controllers.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The Crown is no longer in production :(

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
mm, was hoping to find more info under this title.
have the same question as well and not interest in high wattage.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If low wattage and a sub ohm limitation are ok with you then it is a great device :p Go for the Kick 2. There are no other drop ins I am aware of worth getting atm.

If they put out a Kick 3, that went up to 20 watts, I'd fully support it, but as is, it's "just" a little under-powered imho.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info claviger, maybe one day I will go big wattage and sub ohms. still new to the game...
one step at a time....

I was wondering if I should consider adding a Kick or Kick 2 to my next purchase ?
Is it a safety issue or just a performance thing ?
Anyone using these things ?
Are the clones , smoktech , China , as good as the Evolv ones ?
Is there anything else out there that will do a better job ?
When I first jumped into mechs, it was because I had maxed out my 15 watt capable regulated and wanted to go into sub ohm, but, wanted to be safe, so I bought the kick 2. still have it. if you are going to get a kick, get the evolv kick 2, it accepts builds down to 0.5 ohms and has a 15 watt max output, which was the level I was vaping at. Loved the kick because didn't matter what ohms my builds were, could get a great consistent 15 watt vape. Then once I was confident in my builds, ohms law, battery knowledge and care, pulled the kick out and was doing 0.5 ohms.

So if your building ohm target currently is 1 ohm or higher, then yes a kick can be a great training wheel to safely get into mechs. If already a competent builder and can hit your target ohms consistently, and is only concerned about safety, then a fuse would be a good consideration. Vape is a progressive disease hobby, so depending on your skill and confidence level, would determine which if either is needed.

Wouldn't get the smok or original kick, because no sub ohm and only like 11 watts.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I just ordered some cheep China kick and kick 2 clones for testing . If thay work out I will be ordering a batch and putting them up for sale . At 15$ each one hell of a deal .

Jcc2k

Member For 4 Years
I just ordered some cheep China kick and kick 2 clones for testing . If thay work out I will be ordering a batch and putting them up for sale . At 15$ each one hell of a deal .

Paying $15 for a product I can get for $9 doesn't sound like such a great deal to me. o_O

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just curious can you post the 9 dollar kick site. That would be awesome

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Paying $15 for a product I can get for $9 doesn't sound like such a great deal to me. o_O
Hell ya ! 9$ delivered to Canada ? Thats a big " Me too "
As well as a please .

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice . Well I guess I am waiting on the kick 2 clones now ;)

I only use standard res builds in my vape. I tend to vape between 7-8.5 watts. I have the evolve kick and smok kick. They work fine in my mechs for me. There are more benefits to mechs than just sub ohm.

The only issue for me is everything is so derned small on it. I need a magnifying glass to see the markings danged if I know what I even have it set at.

I've found that if I want to rock a gennie/mech setup while out and about, the kick works well for me. The ones from Fasttech work well, and they are inexpensive. Be aware that they have a side pin for a ground point, so they will not work in some mods with threading all the way through the tube or ones which will not allow a snug fit.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not into sub ohm coils so the kick 2 benefits me . I like the safety features and the consistent Vape quality through the life of the battery. Before battery regulation ,we all had to suffer with voltage drop and vaper that got weaker with each hit.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kicks have pretty much nothing to do with being able to consistently build coils of a particular resistance. They do have something to do with consistent output as the battery discharges, short protection and battery over-drain protection in a single device. Which one if any depends on your power requirements and how low you want to go.

VU Sponsors