Become a Patron!

Evolv's new Patent...not a good thing right?

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
Isn't this a really bad thing? It appears with this new patent that they could now turn around and sue every electronic cigarette manufacturer out there for making a "A controller component for an electronic vaporizer device used to simulate smoking"
Or am I missing something here?

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i feel the same way, like they are the only ones allowed to make chips that control wattage. it also depends on their intentions maybe they just wanted the protection against being sued if someone else got the patent. maybe not we just dont know yet

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One one hand I can see them protecting their property on their chip design.
But I can also see them pulling a hana.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't read the patent, but from my understanding, it is for the way they control wattage, not for the adjustability itself. Of course, I could be way off here.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the patent. It has a filing date of Oct 26, 2012 and looks to be for the power control in the Darwin.

Have a look at the patent citation at the bottom. There are some interesting ones there too.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my 2 cents...
I'm sure they could file a suit against anyone with vw, however the defendant would simply have to prove that their board is slightly different and I would think they would lose. It's kinda like windows suing apple. They are both os, but are different in code,look, etc. Of course, the dna clones should be a little worried, but stuff like the sx boards should be safe. If evolv tries suing american b&m's, they would probably find themselves in the same boat as hana. Just my random opinion, and I'm sure time will tell...
Another thought I had, this may be an attempt by Evolv to protect themselves with the fda, maybe?

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Apple vs Samsung" of the vaping world. That's the potential I see this having. Hopefully not though.

Realistically, I think it's just evolve protecting their chip seeing as chdna chips are starting to get real popular.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will write to them and see if they can help answer questions.

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sent this two minutes ago.....

...Good morning sirs and madams,
My name is
Celtic Fog and I am writing you this morning on behalf of a group of forum members on Vapingunderground.com . First and foremost, congratulations on receiving your recent patent! Secondly, your newly acquired patent has gotten more than a few of the readers confused as to your intentions. We recognize your high quality of product and the ease of use that you have brought to our industry, for that, we thank you. Many of the members here in the forum are now concerned that your intentions are to control the entire VW VV market. Some believe that you might begin to file lawsuits against anyone who tries to make a VW or VV device. Or to keep any other designer from being able to create a different chip/board that can compete. Some believe that nobody will be legally allowed to do so. Is there anyway that could offer some information or insight regarding the intent or purpose of your patent that has recently been acquired? Will others be allowed to create different VW devices now, or have you gained the ability to be the sole providers in this market? Do you plan on continuing the allowance of others to use your DNA chips/boards when purchased through recognized resellers? Also, will the home builder still be able to access your highly coveted DNA sets for custom PV mods? I thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I would love to hear from you and your company and would also please ask for your permission to Post any response to this letter, on to the forum in question, I would love to be able to help quell the fears that are being felt by some of our community members, again thank you for your time. -Celtic Fog

Replaced with Forum name for privacy.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Just for info sake. The WIHI controller used in the IPV mods and similar was developed for an unrelated purpose and "repurposed" for use in personal vapourisers. I'm pretty certain that this will exempt them from any Evolv generated litigation (not that they will not try, aye?). Just between us mongooses, I have tried both, and feel thar WIHI has surpassed the DNA. Well played Celtic Frog!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
still no reply from Evolv

VU Sponsors