Become a Patron!

Excited About Evolve DNA Replay Mode?

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
I watched Vaping Biker's interview with Brandon, cofounder of Evolve that focused on their new Replay mode that attempts to let you pick the perfect puff and then save it. The DNA board then magically makes subsequent puffs taste just like your saved one.

They plan to launch it in new DNA boards in new products that should be out really soon, and follow with firmware updates later this year for DNA75, etc.

If it works like promised, this could be a real game changer, no? For me as an unregulated squonk and VW RTA guy, this could be the tipping point that gets me to look for regulated squonkers or DNA VW mods to use with my RTAs. What do you think?

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am generally a TC guy and never cared for the DNA TC vape I got from my SMY SDNA75 mods but I got sick of dealing with escribe and all the settings. I recently switched to squonking so half my rotation now are mechs, and the others are single battery regulated (non DNA) mods for TC squonking. I will probably end up with a dna75c squonk to give the new firmware a try but some of what I saw from Mike Vapes on last night's The Vape Team show had me scratching my head about it.

p.s. there is a thread about that is a couple pages long over on ECF as well.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It’s really exciting! I purposely got a LV Therion Dna 75C for this “Replay” mod. But honestly I think it would be most beneficial to RDA users. You can also join the Evolv Forum everyone is excitedly waiting for the firmware update for the 75C.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use TC a fair bit so I’m definitely interested. I’m not a big fan of having to buy “C” model dna’s as I’m a big fan of the originals but it’s bound to happen at some point.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Replay mode that attempts to let you pick the perfect puff and then save it. The DNA board then magically makes subsequent puffs taste just like your saved one.

I think a lot of this will break down to what the Replay mode actually does. A lot of people are extremely focused on if it acts/protects like TC.

I am going to get a 250C regardless of that (excited just to see the possibilities of it) and I need a new 3 battery (or 3/4 cell lipo) DNA mod anyway. My Triade Dna250 just recently died and I was going to pick something else up, until I saw the new chip was coming out.

A new screen, 4 cell battery integration, 2nd day modification to update to international FW (to get the full 400W capability) and a host of other things to come.

I have a couple Vaporsharks (200 & 250) and just love the chip for my Regulated mods.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

VapeNMirrors

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think a lot of this will break down to what the Replay mode actually does. A lot of people are extremely focused on if it acts/protects like TC.

A theory:

Starting with power mode, you adjust wattage to taste. (This much we know). The mod is always monitoring resistance to regulate power. (all VW mods do)

The new part is akin to the chip storing 1/resistance over time during every firing while running at constant power (power mode). When you tell it to store then it has the data for the spectrum of resistances and the power constant committed to memory. During replay it just tracks the resistance as usual but interpolates the from the recorded "tfr" to compute the firing power. Eg, it just builds a TFR from the recorded data but without the true coefficients needed to scale to the actual temp.

It's a quick and dirty way to setup TC without caring about the material and actual TCR values because you don't care about the actual temp so they they factor out. I think iJoy tried this ages ago... but

It's a good way to make it easy for folks to use TC and have regulated temps without needing to know more than the general power setting. It will require TC (any material) coils to work.

It would "function" with kanthal but you'd just be recording a constant so it would be no different than setting to the same power in power mode.

It will never have the control of true TC mode and especially with preheat/temp/power curve controls in use but you don't need to know any additional settings (less one button) to use it.

Another aspect, most any TC mod with some free RAM could theoretically do this too with a simple firmware flash. Redo Mode is also coming soon.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Edit: Saw this was about that vid (Biker Vapor) so I deleted the link to it lmao. I thought everyone was talking about DJLSB's vid

Last edited:

VapeNMirrors

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure if you all saw the new interview with the Vaping Biker and Brandon (same owner that was in DJLSB's video) and it is much better and more comprehensive. He goes into a lot of the questions we all had.

I had skimmed Daniel's video previously and read most of the related forum posts around. I just watched the Vaping Biker interview, certainly better content here and, yeah, few more answers to lingering questions.

In the start of the vid, it's interesting that they say they put eScibe into the hands of the people to give them the controls generally left to manufacturers. One problem I've seen with most (all?) DNA mods is the mfg doesn't set a dang thing so the people are left to fend for themselves. At least Daniel spins out some good pre-canned setups. He's filling the void. Replay largely dodges it entirely and Evolve doesn't need to worry so much that the mod is only half built.

"Temp control without any information back" : This is the most accurate single line description I've heard, courtesy Vaping Biker, the interviewer.

I think my theory holds as described. They may throw in a few other under-the-hood tweaks like some kind of preheat (despite the power setting) based on the resistance and test probing, etc to make it "better" than straight power mode (punchier it sounds) but there's nothing they reveal in this video that would make me change my underlying theory. I'm actually surprised the NFE guys haven't already spun a beta of this out for Arctic Fox.

Last edited:

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had skimmed Daniel's video previously and read most of the related forum posts around. I just watched the Vaping Biker interview, certainly better content here and, yeah, few more answers to lingering questions.

In the start of the vid, it's interesting that they say they put eScibe into the hands of the people to give them the controls generally left to manufacturers. One problem I've seen with most (all?) DNA mods is the mfg doesn't set a dang thing so the people are left to fend for themselves. At least Daniel spins out some good pre-canned setups. He's filling the void. Replay largely dodges it entirely and Evolve doesn't need to worry so much that the mod is only half built.

"Temp control without any information back" : This is the most accurate single line description I've heard, courtesy Vaping Biking, the interviewer.

I think my theory holds as described. They may throw in a few other under-the-hood tweaks like some kind of preheat (despite the power setting) based on the resistance and test probing, etc to make it "better" than straight power mode (punchier it sounds) but there's nothing they reveal in this video that would make me change my underlying theory. I'm actually surprised the NFE guys haven't already spun a beta of this out for Arctic Fox.

Yeah with most manufacturers you're right. They didn't set-up profiles correctly or even attempt to get things customized beyond graphics etc. Lipo packed Manufacturers did more but that was for obvious reasons.

I know they added preheat to the 250 already, with the recently released Version 12 fw (you have to download international if I remember correctly). That being said it'll definitely be on the 250c. It's fully we are calling it the 250c when we should really be calling it the 400c.

But yes your theory seems to hold still. Him explaining the viability of different wire types with replay was a huge plus. It clarified a lot for me personally.

Unfortunately it looks like the 200 won't be getting the updates of the 250 (non c), which is definitely a bummer.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is more logical than other thread, Replay, set and forget for beginners. I prefer full control. Not in a hurry to get 250C therefore.
Am I the only one that is not impressed by color screen? You have the info you need regardless.
"Temp control without any information back" , beginners. Does not tickle my fancy.
See what it does. Big thing to me is 250C is 85% efficiency, 9v. have that from good source. 9v pretty hard to hit 400W on most builds. Do the math.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is more logical than other thread, Replay, set and forget for beginners. I prefer full control. Not in a hurry to get 250C therefore.
Am I the only one that is not impressed by color screen? You have the info you need regardless.
"Temp control without any information back" , beginners. Does not tickle my fancy.
See what it does. Big thing to me is 250C is 85% efficiency, 9v. have that from good source. 9v pretty hard to hit 400W on most builds. Do the math.

You are off the mark once again. I don't think anyone has even talked about the color screen. It's better than the old screen and that's all that really matters.

But the screen matters not. What you're really off on is your numbers. The DNA250c is a 4 cell chip. This means that to get 400W you'll have to be running 4 cells(lipo or otherwise), which isn't 9V, it's 12+. That old 9V number you regurgitated is from the 3 cell DNA200/250 chip... So please start doing that math yourself before trying to pull a mic drop on some garbage like that.

Oh and please don't try to correct me by scouring the interballs for an hour, only to come back with "The 250c is only a 250Watt mod in 3 or 4 cell configuration." Because we all know (might be using "WE" too generously here) that the International FW makes the 3 a 300W and the 4 a 400W. Not that anyone will use that much for prolonged periods of time anyway. But for replay mode etc... it'll be nice to have it if you need it for short bursts.

VU Sponsors