Become a Patron!

Explain TC/watts/joules

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, I'm a noob to vaping, but not to watts. I make them for a living. But let's talk TC...

Doing some reading of various chips, and writers, and capers... Yihi limits to 50 joules. 75 on the 350. Other say they prefer other chips that do watts even though they are the same.

I read the piece on cloudmaker about TC. And how limiting temp and using more power produces more vapor. That I get to a point... But volts or amps crammed through a tiny wire produces heat. To limit the max temp, you have to limit watts or joules. Energy over time. Volts or amps, one or the other, you have to slow down how much you are trying to cram through the wire.

Vapor production and air flow will cool the coil. Provide more, you lower temp... So you can do more watts/joules. But that is more about the tank being driven that the board being driven. What am I missing?

Seems when talking about chips, some want to speak about how much it can do, but if your tank/coil can only do 30 joules at 400F, then it doesn't really matter if the board can do 200 watts.

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A lot of people who vape are not smart or do not understand physics and think Bigger Watts = Better Mod.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am not particularly bright so hope to find some answers. Thank you for asking the question(s), @Powerman.

Subscribing.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the way the temp is limited is by reading the resistance of the coil. so when resistance = max temp. power is cut
depending upon current resistance and resistance need to reach max temp determines how much power either in joules or watts is applied.

the resistance is read several times a second. some boards read more often and are more accurate

how the board determines how much power to use to reach max temp, and how fast to apply it etc are difference between boards

using joules or watts i believe alters how the board works but you get similiar results

what ever you set as max joules or watts is tells the board never to use more then that much power at one time to reach max temp

so yes with some coil builds and airflow, 50 or even 75 joules is not enough power to ever get the coil to max temp

nit having a od that can do 200 watts and only works up to 50j in tc mode is useful
because you can use a kanthal ss nichrome or other non tc wire in POWER MODE up to 200 watts

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Right, I get having power mode. But some of the stuff I have read is about advantages of one board over another in TC mode.

If you can provide more cooling, ie juice and air, then you can run more watts/joules in TC. Which is basically what all the new tanks are doing. Opening everything up for more. The current arms race and the power output to drive them....

It's just that some claim "watts/power" in TC mode is better. That they can use full out put. But temp limiting is power limiting. No way around it. I'm trying to understand that. It could simply be limitations of the current arms race. Makers thought TC was a good idea, but initial offerings are underpowered especially for the new tanks. So with the new capabilities people just say it's "better" when really it's just more appropriately matched to the new gear.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Those are non-TC heads though. I'll let Matt respond, but I have a hard time imagining a Ni or Ti build that can handle say 120 watts. There's just not enough wire there.

As for TC being "Power Limiting"... sort of, yeah. But two things... the modulation amount/frequency will vary chip to chip. That will have a bearing on how "smooth" the TC feels. So will the max watts/joules you set. That can affect how hard it hits with each "pulse", as Matt says.
Both would, I believe, have an effect on how much "rattlesnaking" a mod produces.
Adjusting both temp and power can eliminate that, usually.
Good points. I think you are speaking to the quality and method of regulation. It does matter. But at the end of the day, it's still limiting power to limit temp for the given conditions. I'm good with it. Better power regulation to produce better vaping. Just looking at context.

VU Sponsors