Become a Patron!

exploding mods

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lately their seems to be a spate of people putting sub ohm tanks on mechanical hybrid devices and the 510 pin on their tanks doesn't stick down far enough and their battery makes contanct with the 510 and they are shorting out their batteries.....causing explosions.

So my question is why are these incedents ending in explosions..why aren't the batteries venting though the vent holes in the mods?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So much power is released in such a short time, a tiny vent hole is useless. Vent holes are also on the wrong end...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So much power is released in such a short time, a tiny vent hole is useless. Vent holes are also on the wrong end...
sorry not seeing that steve we've been putting vent holes in mods since we've been building mods they aren't there just for the fuck of it they are their for a purpose or they wouldn't be there...if vent hole didn't do the job they were designed to do they wouldn't be made or modders would have built a vent that did do the job.and there are mods with vent hole at the top of the mod as well as at the bottom of the mod.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sorry not seeing that steve we've been putting vent holes in mods since we've been building mods they aren't there just for the fuck of it they are their for a purpose or they wouldn't be there...if vent hole didn't do the job they were designed to do they wouldn't be made or modders would have built a vent that did do the job.
Batteries weren't as large or powerful back then...

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lol love it you ask for an answer to your question than tell them your stupid. Hahaha

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what do you mean we had 18650 batteries then the batteries are no larger...
A lot of early mods were 14500s... Early 18650 batteries used for vaping were also a lot lower in power than what are used today...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of early mods were 14500s... Early 18650 batteries used for vaping were also a lot lower in power than what are used today...
WTF are you talking about hardly any mods were 14500 mods...almost all mods were 18650 mods...14500 mods were rare and a specialty item we've been vaping 18650 since the earlist days of modding simce the Golden Greek and the Vela ruled the waves.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
WTF are you talking about hardly any mods were 14500 mods...almost all mods were 18650 mods...14500 mods were rare and a specialty item we've been vaping 18650 since the earlist days of modding simce the Golden Greek and the Vela ruled the waves.
The earliest replaceable battery mods were 14500 powered, from what I remember...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The earliest replaceable battery mods were 14500 powered, from what I remember...
you are a dumbshit.the 18650 battery became the standard replaceable battery from the start...name me one 14500 mod with a hybrid adapter.

Last edited:

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
why don't just shut the fuck up you chicken shit little asshole.
Settle down there keyboard cowboy you ain't going to do shit other than run your dick licker.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you are a dumbshit.the 18650 battery became the standard replaceable battery from the start...name me one 14500 mod with a hybrid adapter.
Im quite sure I have been vaping far longer than you. im sure you weren't around when 1.5 ohm coils were LR, when side by side 14500 box mods and single 14500 tube mechs ruled...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im quite sure I have been vaping far longer than you. You probably don't even remember when 1.5 ohm coils were LR...
stupid fuck you mean low reistance..throw away chinese shit attys...and cartos. so I'm still waiting on that 14500 mod with a hybrid adapter.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I still have a pile of AW IC 14500s...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
E liquid was also nearly all PG back then...

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
[face palm at the attitude this thread has turned to] o_O

Since we don't know WHAT type of batteries people are using, it may be safe to assume they are not using good batteries, with SAFE chemistry.

With all the absolute SHIT batteries that get sold to people as "vape" batteries, who really knows.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so let me understandd this.... all..every single 18650 mod that was ever built had vent holes built into them that were totlly ineffectual and uneccesary that is your propisition? is it. Steve... that is what you are saying.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[face palm at the attitude this thread has turned to] o_O

Since we don't know WHAT type of batteries people are using, it may be safe to assume they are not using good batteries, with SAFE chemistry.

With all the absolute SHIT batteries that get sold to people as "vape" batteries, who really knows.
now this is something that makes sense....we've had 18650 hybrid adapters for a long time, and people used them with adjustable atty pins... and I'm pretty sure people being people, not everybody checked their attys to see if their atty pin was sticking down far enough and they lit up their batteries, but there was never this number of explosions.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
On a mechanical you'd have a 50/50 chance of it venting (assuming the battery is about to vent) in your face.
Once the battery gets hot and starts swelling in the middle the gases can escape safely from the bottom/button area or it will force immense pressure out of the weakest link on the mod
which would obviously be a hybrid top cap adapter.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a mechanical you'd have a 50/50 chance of it venting (assuming the battery is about to vent) in your face.
Once the battery gets hot and starts swelling in the middle the gases can escape safely from the bottom/button area or it will force immense pressure out off the weakest link on the mod
which would obviously be a hybrid top cap adapter.
So why aren't they venting from the bottom vent hole as they were designed to.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
please do...
Why can't all y'all motherfuckers just get the fuck along before I've got to move this thread to the mud pit?

And actually, it seems like we're getting somewhat back to the original topic...my theory is that the vent holes on many mods aren't as efficient as we'd once thought they were, or are nonexistent on some cheap clones, and we've reached a point where the dumbest new vapers (of the "sick clouds bro!" variety) are interested in the most dangerous tech (single-18650 mech tubes, especially hybrids), thus increasing the risky-use population proportionally to the number of new disasters being reported. Carry on...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no fucking way....
Okay, since you posed the question - what's your theory? If not that more users are vaping dangerous builds on dangerous devices, then I've got to revert to @stevegmu's theory that the state of the mod-design art is lagging given the advancements we've made in batteries and build resistance over the last couple years.

I remember when I first moved to mechs because a 15 watt Vamo or Provari was pretty much top-of-the-line (or a cheap fake of same) for regulated vaping - back then sub-ohmers were considered to be pushing the brink of safety even at 0.5 and people still respected AW batteries (I doubt 90% of users who've picked up the habit since 2015 have even heard of AW). Now we've got 18-year-olds (or 16-year-olds lying on the age verification software) pushing 0.0X and arguing about how they're perfectly safe because Efest or MXJO told the they were...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no theroy that is why I poised the question...I'm not disputing that the clones don't have vent holes I'm expressing astonishment that the vent holes weren't drilled into them....yeah I remeber as a newbie a battle on a forum because one of the guys was vaping at .9, and everybody said he was insane.

but my question is you call hybrids dangerous devices and my question is again....we've had hybrid adpaters around for a long time and I'm sure from time to time people didn't pay attention and their atty pin was not down far enough and yet we didn't have all these explosions....to be honest I can't count on the fingers of one hand the number of vapers I've known who'be ever even had a battery vent on them.
I mean two years ago everybody vaped mech mods....now I read threads and mech mods are being called dangerous devices....two years ago people vaped hybrids all the time and now they are dangerous devices......
I find it hard to believe after all the brains and talent and integrity that so many modders have contributed to mod design not a single modder ever stood up and said .....hey we aren't venting our mods sufficently and designed a better venting system.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two years ago the community went psycho on sub-ohmers - or at least any sub-ohmers who bothered to research their builds. And sub-ohm clearomizers didn't exist - if you wanted to play that game, you had to learn how and there were no plug-and-play devices - during your research you'd encounter people like us who tell you about making sure you've got a clean firing pin contact and whatnot.

Mechs have always been dangerous, hybrids especially, IMHO. The contrast to that danger is that you had to seek them out, and in doing so you'd learn about how to use them properly, thus minimizing the danger. If they're now being handed out like candy to babes with subtanks, the safety check of forcing users to do their own homework has been eliminated and has created more vapers who are uninformed as to what to look for in order to maintain a modicum of safety.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been vaping for coming on 4 years...I've seen hundreds of mech mods and their clones released onto the market....I've seen dozens and dozens of hybrid mods or hybrid adapters released onto the market...to say that mech mods have always been dangerous just defies reality...how many hundreds of thousands of them have been sold with almost zero incedents of accident....sure there has always been people who were responsible, passionate,informed vapers, but on the same hand there were always those people who toodled down to the local B&M and had them build cloud chasing set ups for them in their drippers,and never owned an ohm meter or a spool of kanthal, and didn't bother their heads with learning anymore than what the guy behind the counter at the local B&M told them...and they all vaped on mech mods.their nemmy clone or their stingray clone....without blowing themselves up....I don't agree mechs are dangerous ..though they aren't idiot proof....

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They arent using quality cells in their mods...Ive never had a 25R or LG HB2/6 Vent before but Ive hard shorted them a few times and recycled them.(I dont use any other batteries). The other day I ran out for the Pizza Guy and came back in the room and I saw vapor erupting from my Velocity, the drip tip melted in half, the Copper mod was almost as orange as a pulsed coil...I was still dumb enough to pick it up to yank the battery, also spilled scolding juice all over my leg...
But the 25R2 was hot, no venting, the wrap was busted and you could see all the shorts all over the case of it but that was it.
My leg has healed and so have my fingers, I recycled the 25R and I replaced the wide bore tip with the 510 adapter and everything else is fine.
Weird how the cotton wasnt even burned and the coils were fine but the Tip melted straight off the top of the Velocity....

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah I did something similar...my mod had fallen between some couch cushion and I didn't notice it.... I had a little micromini from doc dave on it...I came back into the room, saw vapor coming out of the couch...grabbed the mod yanked the battery...the pyrex tank had shattered from the heat, but the battery didn't explode...I think your right I think it's a matter of shite batteries.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For what it's worth, I've never seen an article mention the VTC, 25R, or HE line of batts.

It's always some off-brand battery mentioned or pictured, such as eFast or Trustfire.
Think there was even one that mentioned Radioshack.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its those 18650 Duracells I tell'ya :D

I See Interstate has a 18650, its got really bad specs but sold for key FOBs and such, people may see them at CVS or something and pick them up. I think its a 14500 Battery just encased in a 18650 size. The closest thing in specs is Panasonic 14500 battery

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its those 18650 Duracells I tell'ya :D

I See Interstate has a 18650, its got really bad specs but sold for key FOBs and such, people may see them at CVS or something and pick them up. I think its a 14500 Battery just encased in a 18650 size. The closest thing in specs is Panasonic 14500 battery
for fucksakes...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For what it's worth, I've never seen an article mention the VTC, 25R, or HE line of batts.

It's always some off-brand battery mentioned or pictured, such as eFast or Trustfire.
Think there was even one that mentioned Radioshack.
Those who buy the cheap, junky mods which are blowing up aren't going to buy batteries which cost more than the mod...

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As some have already mentioned, the type of battery used in these incidents is often unknown. For all we know, it may have been ICR cells used.

Even an IMR, ICR or other hybrid chemistry cell can explode if it's completely hard short circuited. If the vent doesn't open up on the cell or the vent hole isn't sufficient then it can go pop. This can happen to the safest of cells, if during the short, the violent reaction progressed too quickly for the vent to help.

Apologies if this has been linked to already, but Battery Brown has done a really nice writeup on cell chemistry. It was either there or on Mooch es blog that it's mentioned that even safe chemistry cells can explode is the incident is severe enough. Mooch has recently added more info to his blog on ECF regarding chemistry. Think it was added around the same time as the 26650 stuff.

I'm having issues cutting and pasting links to here in my phone, but the battery bro article wasn't able to be browsed to when I tried to go through the website menus (may have not been up long enough). A Google search for "battery bro cell chemistry will bring it up. Mooch es blog is in the usual places and is fantastic info. It's in the main blog, not one of the many sub sections.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As some have already mentioned, the type of battery used in these incidents is often unknown. For all we know, it may have been ICR cells used.

Even an IMR, ICR or other hybrid chemistry cell can explode if it's completely hard short circuited. If the vent doesn't open up on the cell or the vent hole isn't sufficient then it can go pop. This can happen to the safest of cells, if during the short, the violent reaction progressed too quickly for the vent to help.

Apologies if this has been linked to already, but Battery Brown has done a really nice writeup on cell chemistry. It was either there or on Mooch es blog that it's mentioned that even safe chemistry cells can explode is the incident is severe enough. Mooch has recently added more info to his blog on ECF regarding chemistry. Think it was added around the same time as the 26650 stuff.

I'm having issues cutting and pasting links to here in my phone, but the battery bro article wasn't able to be browsed to when I tried to go through the website menus (may have not been up long enough). A Google search for "battery bro cell chemistry will bring it up. Mooch es blog is in the usual places and is fantastic info. It's in the main blog, not one of the many sub sections.
Thank you for the important information , I hope everyone will use the resources to get better knowledge of batteries and to always use them safely

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey Nemisis, thanks for all the cool info...if you have the time and the inclination a list of batteries which you would recommend would be great ...

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I live reading mooch es blog, his testing methodology is good and he conveys info without being judgemental.

The cells I feel safe using are all from major oems. Branded cells may be good, bit even with a brand that may use say, a Samsung 25R with their own wrap on it, they may at any time decide to change the cell they use.

For me and the way I Vape (both single cell mech, series mech and series regulated :

Up to 20A (130W in series regulated, 0.2 ohms single/parallel, or in series at no lower than 0.4 ohms) :
  • Samsung 25R
  • LG HE2/HE4
  • LG HG2 (3000mah great in regulated mods)
For up to 160W or only slightly below 0.2 I use the LG HD2 which is 25A and 2000mAh.

On very low builds down to about 0.14 (or a little lower, for me, occasionally) I use LG HB6. HB2 and HB4 will also work equally as well. Very low capacity at 1500mah but a true 30A. VTC4/5 can handle the stress of 30A but their capacity is too high to be able to stay cool enough. The HB6 series being only 1500mah means they're dead before their temperature goes too high. They're also very low internal resistance. This also means they don't get as hot.

I don't mind Sony cells, just that in my opinion they were a bit over hyped. Great cells. Just don't trust that I'm always going to get a genuine one. There are vendors at trust, but they're in and out of stock and in the UK they're expensive too.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I live reading mooch es blog, his testing methodology is good and he conveys info without being judgemental.

The cells I feel safe using are all from major oems. Branded cells may be good, bit even with a brand that may use say, a Samsung 25R with their own wrap on it, they may at any time decide to change the cell they use.

For me and the way I Vape (both single cell mech, series mech and series regulated :

Up to 20A (130W in series regulated, 0.2 ohms single/parallel, or in series at no lower than 0.4 ohms) :
  • Samsung 25R
  • LG HE2/HE4
  • LG HG2 (3000mah great in regulated mods)
For up to 160W or only slightly below 0.2 I use the LG HD2 which is 25A and 2000mAh.

On very low builds down to about 0.14 (or a little lower, for me, occasionally) I use LG HB6. HB2 and HB4 will also work equally as well. Very low capacity at 1500mah but a true 30A. VTC4/5 can handle the stress of 30A but their capacity is too high to be able to stay cool enough. The HB6 series being only 1500mah means they're dead before their temperature goes too high. They're also very low internal resistance. This also means they don't get as hot.

I don't mind Sony cells, just that in my opinion they were a bit over hyped. Great cells. Just don't trust that I'm always going to get a genuine one. There are vendors at trust, but they're in and out of stock and in the UK they're expensive too.
Forgot to Add the Trusty Samsung 30Q next to your HG2...for regulated mods.

Ive used 25R2's for some more outrageous applications and they got slightly hot but not as hot as some other batteries in higher resistances. I trust them for this reason, but I wouldnt have as much confidence in the same battery with continued use like that though (Tube/ .075). I havent got a Sony that lived up to the hype and feel that even Authentics are getting past their NOS dates to be "What they once were". LG's are great batteries and I carry the HB2/6 and buy them when every I can.
Samsung and LG are easy to find, easy to point out fakes and are cheap and very capable for their specified applications. I would suggest anyone with reluctant thoughts on batteries to buy the 30Q (Regulated Mods)/25R or LG HG2 (Regulated Mods), HE2/4, HB2/6.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forgot to Add the Trusty Samsung 30Q next to your HG2...for regulated mods.

Ive used 25R2's for some more outrageous applications and they got slightly hot but not as hot as some other batteries in higher resistances. I trust them for this reason, but I wouldnt have as much confidence in the same battery with continued use like that though (Tube/ .075). I havent got a Sony that lived up to the hype and feel that even Authentics are getting past their NOS dates to be "What they once were". LG's are great batteries and I carry the HB2/6 and buy them when every I can.
Samsung and LG are easy to find, easy to point out fakes and are cheap and very capable for their specified applications. I would suggest anyone with reluctant thoughts on batteries to buy the 30Q (Regulated Mods)/25R or LG HG2 (Regulated Mods), HE2/4, HB2/6.
what about for mech mods.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread is almost impossible to make sense of due to the spelling and/or wrong words being typed .

There are a few things to consider.
But first, show me evidence of the high incidence of exploding mods.
What do you mean by 'hybrid mech'?
If it uses a mosfet and a fresh battery is being used, a short will usually fry the mosfet and open the circuit.

If you have watched the battery fire videos involving hoverboards, you will see exploding AND venting batteries.
If the battery cannot vent BY ITSELF, it may still explode no matter how many holes are in the mod body.
A few holes in a pipe will get occluded and pressure will build up despite them.
A musket or cannon works similarly.

VU Sponsors