Become a Patron!

Exploding question!!!!!!!

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How's everyone doing today? I thought I was doing good until someone at my local Vape store told me I was crazy to use this Tesla Invader 2 with a UWELL Crown tank and a 0.5 coil in it. They said it will blow up and I was very lucky it hadn't already done it. I have been Vaping on it for the last 2 months.
They said that it was made for build-able coils.They said that by Oms law it was about 110W. And you shouldn't be using a "SUB" tank on it.
I've only been vaping for about 3 months now and I enjoy it immensely. I am 70 yrs old and was a smoker for 56 yrs. I stopped the first time I vaped.
Anyway!!!!!!! Can someone tell me if this is true? Can you figure Ohms Law and tell me what tank I can use? I really am not into clouding. I enjoy the smoking part of Vaping. The different flavors and such.
The batteries are, 2 IMR 18650 2000mAh 3.7V
Can someone PLEEEEEZE tell me what I can/can't do with this great mod?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use the .25ohm coil, the .05ohm coils are for temp control(I'll admit I don't know if the invader 2 has tc on it) , if it's not a tc mod I wouldn't. Isn't it a unregulated/ mechanical box mod?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just looked it up, yeah it's a mech box, I would stop using the .05 ohm coil and get the .25 ohm cuz honestly the shop employee was right your lucky it hasn't vented

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
what brand of brand/model of batteries are you using?

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just looked it up, yeah it's a mech box, I would stop using the .05 ohm coil and get the .25 ohm cuz honestly the shop employee was right your lucky it hasn't vented
He had said the .5 not the .05 so technically if his setup is not made for it using the .25 would be making it worse.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He had said the .5 not the .05 so technically if his setup is not made for it using the .25 would be making it worse.
They don't make .5 ohm coils for the crown, their .05 ohm. I have a crown and was just looking at the same coil this morning debating on if I needed to change my coil

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
lol all good. I think he needs to mainly make sure his batteries are safe to run a .5 ohm coil and then he should be good to go.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah very true , gotta be careful with not over exerting them. Is the invader 2 a series or parallel box?

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Are they SONY, LG, EFEST something with the word fire in them? A battery is not just a battery and we need to know the specifics of the battery to be able to say yes or no.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Go to liionwholsale. Buy lg, samsung, sony vtc 4.... 20 amp and above.
Make sure your heads are .5 and above and enjoy.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm right this second using a 0.5ohm coil, and the crown doesn't have a 0.05ohm coil at all, seeing as how most mods couldn't fire that anyways (except TC).

0.5 is SS (Power or TC)
0.25 is SS (Power or TC)
0.15 in Ni200 (TC Only)

The Tesla Invader 2 is a Parallel box mod, and can fully handle down to 0.25ohm without worry. Even a single cell mod could handle the 0.25ohm coil, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about (so long as you don't over-discharge the cells, this is an unregulated mod so you have to monitor the batteries).

The only factor you need to worry about right now is the batteries. They should be Minimum 20A CDR, and should be from an OEM (Sony, Samsung, LG). As long as you have quality batteries in that mod, that setup is perfectly fine.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm right this second using a 0.5ohm coil, and the crown doesn't have a 0.05ohm coil at all, seeing as how most mods couldn't fire that anyways (except TC).

0.5 is SS (Power or TC)
0.25 is SS (Power or TC)
0.15 in Ni200 (TC Only)

The Tesla Invader 2 is a Parallel box mod, and can fully handle down to 0.25ohm without worry. Even a single cell mod could handle the 0.25ohm coil, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

The only factor you need to worry about right now is the batteries. They should be Minimum 20A CDR, and should be from an OEM (Sony, Samsung, LG). As long as you have quality batteries in that mod, that setup is perfectly fine.
Yeah I misread where the decimal point was.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its a parallel box with mosfet and reverse polarity protection. So max volts under load is likely around 4v which at 0.5ohm gives you 32W at 8A, it is unlikely to cause any problem unless you have cheap nasty batteries.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I am going to assume they are sony VTC4 or 5's in which case those are fine and the setup you are running is fine.

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am going to assume they are sony VTC4 or 5's in which case those are fine and the setup you are running is fine.
Soooooo? Manimal, you're saying it's ok the way I'm using it?
They don't make .5 ohm coils for the crown, their .05 ohm. I have a crown and was just looking at the same coil this morning debating on if I needed to change my coil
You're right. It is 0.5. SORRY

Last edited:

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Well which coil are you using. If you are using the .5 then yes. If you are using a .05ohm coil is it a kanthal coil or is it a nickel coil?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well which coil are you using. If you are using the .5 then yes. If you are using a .05ohm coil is it a kanthal coil or is it a nickel coil?
I had wondered bout the ni200 coil that comes with it but I think that one is .15 ohms isn't it?

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
yeah its .15 so I have no clue where he got a .05 coil. Unless someone wrapped it special for him

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got a .25 coil in the one that I'm using on it right now.It is awesome.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
4.2v ÷ .5 ohm = 8.4 amps
Then you take 8.4A × 4.2v = 35.28 watts
Simple ohms law, you should learn it before vaping imo. But this is a safe set up any battery should be rated for at least 10 amps and Idk what the shop owner was talking about over 100 watts, unless the coil is indeed .05 instead of .5 but at any rate unless your mod has a hybrid cap this math shows its within exaptable limits.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just for kicks here's all the math on standard crown coils at the typical 4.2v fully charged output on a full mech. Not including voltage drop obviously.
.5 coil math
Is above but to reiterate it's 8.4a and 35.28w
.25 coil
4.2÷.25=16.8A
16.8A x 4.2= 70.56W
.15 coil wich I belive is strictly for tc mode but anyway.
4.2÷.15= 28A
28A× 4.2= 117.6w

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see you said it was indeed a .05 coil. If that's the case your lucky to still have a face.
4.2÷.05= 84A over triple what your batteries are rates for close to quadruple.
84×4.2= 352watts I find it hard to belive this would even be vapeable in a tank...ever. so I dought your coil was .05

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I got the formula now. And in my Kangertech tank is a, 0.5 15-60W coil. Awesome. And.......Thanks again

Last edited:

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see you said it was indeed a .05 coil. If that's the case your lucky to still have a face.
4.2÷.05= 84A over triple what your batteries are rates for close to quadruple.
84×4.2= 352watts I find it hard to belive this would even be vapeable in a tank...ever. so I dought your coil was .05

On one tank I have a .5ohm, I don't use it in the Tesla. I have a .25 in the Tesla.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.25 should also be fine, but I have no idea what those batteries are. They look like some re-wraps. Some 18650 batteries are made to be used in torches and do not have a good enough discharge current rating to be used in a mod, that is why we have to be careful with batteries. If you know that those batteries in there are good then cool otherwise I would get some from a reputable vape shop or online retailer Samsung 25R batteries are usually easy to find and are a good battery. You may also want to teach the guy in the vape shop you visited ohms law so they don't make an ass of themselves every day. :D

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ummm... I was told there would be no math.... o_O

But that is some dam fine math. ;)
AWESOMEEEEEE! That's where the gal at my vape store went wrong. She said it would blow up using a sub tank. I guess she was doubling the volts. using both batteries? Cause she said 7.4 divided by .25 =29.6 X 7.4=219.04. Must that's what she meant? I've been using .5 and .25 and lovin it. Again, Thanks Everyone.
Big Steve

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.25 should also be fine, but I have no idea what those batteries are. They look like some re-wraps. Some 18650 batteries are made to be used in torches and do not have a good enough discharge current rating to be used in a mod, that is why we have to be careful with batteries. If you know that those batteries in there are good then cool otherwise I would get some from a reputable vape shop or online retailer Samsung 25R batteries are usually easy to find and are a good battery. You may also want to teach the guy in the vape shop you visited ohms law so they don't make an ass of themselves every day. :D

Thank you so much for the info. Also!!! I DID have a chat with the moron at the store. (lmao) So, if the batteries are rated at 3.7 why do you use the 4.2 formula? I also have been using the 4.2 like you.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fully charged 18650 batteries will be around 4.2v, depending on how much current is drawn from them that will pretty soon drop. They usually operate normally between 3.5 to 4v. People use the 4.2v value for safety reasons as it is the maximum voltage possible with an undamaged fully charged battery.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
as well it seems this shop employee should be looking for a new job.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi @trucked1 , and welcome to the Vaping Underground forums!

Here is a really good Ohms Law Calculator:
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

Also , there is a tab marked "battery drain" where you can input the actual battery you are using, and it will SHOW you what percentage of the CDR (current discharge rate) your setup is using. Batteries and Ohms law are THE most important safety factor in vaping. Make sure on a mechanical mod BEFORE you hit the trigger, where you are. It would REALLY help if you have a regulated mod, that shows how many ohms your atomizer has, to put ANYthing on that one first, and check it for shorts or too low resistance, before mounting it on a mech.. A lot of people buy one of these..
http://vapingcheap.com/2014/10/atomizer-ohm-meter/

For $5.86, it is CHEAP insurance. :)

VU Sponsors