Become a Patron!

Extended Warranty On Cars and Why You Should...

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, stuck without my car until who knows when! Thank goodness for extended warranties. Merry Christmas to me, I think. ..

Here goes...My bestie borrows my car Friday to take to ATL, we're in AL. Fine, let her while I drove hers. Mine is better on the road plus more economical. Easier to park as well. Received a call from her in panic. Ok, so my car started to spit and sputter, dash lit up and car dies. Hmm, called a wrecker and car went to a dealer. She came back in a loaner. Extended warranty info given etc etc etc. Dealer called today, "Ma'am, you have regular gas in the car, not diesel. Motor and all fuel lines are shot." I'm on the phone and ready to faint at this point. "What would you like us to do?" I'm thinking of what in the heck (he!!). So I excused myself from the call and said I'd call back. Called the number for the warranty. Hmm, they are COVERING this! Cost ringing in pretty dang big at this time. My warranty was $4500, well paid for at this point. They in turn called the dealer. All since this was a total mishap and car was borrowed, insurance you might say.
Bestie at this time is sweating bullets. Crying and everything while I'm saying chill out, things will be ok. She then asked why was the gas hole so small on the car, that she had issues filling it up and only one station did she not have a problem at. Lol. Uhm, I told her that a "gas" pump shouldn't fit in the diesel car to keep from putting anything other than diesel in the tank. "Oh, well that's why it took me 15 minutes to fill it." Geez....
Case and point is, you never know when paying that extra money might save your tail more than one time around. I'm out $100 for the deductible. Last time it was an injection issue that saved me about $5k, no fault of mine.
Please buy those warranties if you have a car that can hurt you in the pocket. Saved my day! Once again! Air conditioning warranties are good too!

On to vaping after I about lost my stomach earlier. ...

Hint to some, please don't try and force a gas pump in a diesel if you are borrowing a car. It's supposed to deter you. Lol :)

Just wanted to share. ...Hope everyone else is having a better pre holiday week! :):confetti::deadhorse::vapemail:

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Glad it worked out in your favor. Best your friend is too!

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad it worked out in your favor. Best your friend is too!

Thank you @Letitia9 ! We both thought we were about to have a fainting spell. I was trying to calm her down and she was beyond freaked. I was just wondering if I needed to take out a mortgage or something, seriously...I can't produce several thousands like that...Darn AMG engine is good but whoa at that bill...My grandfather gave up driving so he gave me his car, said I was the only young un' that never asked anything from him and my Jeep is well under recall by only 14 of them..! There's a bright side to this story, thank goodness! :) They said I will be out of a car for about a good month or two. Totally a bummer but that's ok...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Glad they covered it under warranty because that is totally user error~! Did you tell it was a Diesel and didn't she see the warning on the gas tank fill hole? Diesel Fuel ONLY? Lines should be shot but it could have damaged the engine igniting gasoline in a diesel. When you get the car back have it checked out thoroughly. Good Luck~!

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad they covered it under warranty because that is totally user error~! Did you tell it was a Diesel and didn't she see the warning on the gas tank fill hole? Diesel Fuel ONLY? Lines should be shot but it could have damaged the engine igniting gasoline in a diesel. When you get the car back have it checked out thoroughly. Good Luck~!

Uhm, my bestie bless her heart is book smart but common sense runs a little behind. She's a meek person and well just a doll. In saying that she didn't understand the nozzles at the pumps, I guess. She knew it was a diesel and got it right at the first station but somehow messed up on the next fill up and quite literally kind of sat there and made the pump work (she explained she babied it for 15 minutes). She honestly didn't have an inkling of an idea. LOL. She's still upset. I told her better to mess up an engine that to wreck and hurt herself.

The engine is gone. It's a complete goner as they said it went apparently too far and she did say she went a few miles up the road to a safer area (it was in the evening). The car did sputter and well, died...One of my old buddies will be over in the area tomorrow to look at it but said it's more than toast if they asked on arrangements to send it to the sale as is or to see if I wanted to get it fixed. That's whenever I started blowing up the phone about the warranty. They indeed know what happened, said they would cover it and the warranty would then cover all but the actual block itself after replacement. I'm assuming at some point late next week they will go ahead and order a new crated one. All the lines, block etc will be replaced and what I'm understanding sensors as well. My ex said he would run by and take a glance at it as well since he actually knows about diesels, engine wise. I'll be on the back burner until then, they said a month or two before it's ready. At least there's a loaner car. I will have it checked locally once I get it back. I guess I can be optimistic and say I'll have a new motor vs 110k on the other. Still totally a bummer though. I may drive it for a year then sell it... I promise you she will now understand about the gas/diesel nozzles at the pump for the rest of her life. My Mom used to always kid us and say, "You two girls just won't do! :)." She was right...We now have destroying an engine on our books now to look back on. …:) I did vape more than my usual the past few days, but nerves are getting in check...:cool:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We now have destroying an engine on our books now to look back on. …:)

Don't feel too bad I have a few engines on my books from my street and track racing days~! We were the Street Outlaws before the guys on TV were even born~!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't feel too bad I have a few engines on my books from my street and track racing days~! We were the Street Outlaws before the guys on TV were even born~!
That's how moonshine running was born.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Funny you say that. My ex and I used to drag as well. Never messed up an engine myself. I did manage to drop a tranny though, even though it wasn't truly on me. We had an issue but didn't address it before track night. Lol. Miss those days, guess that's why I bought a darn bike. Whew. (I did just dream on Meacham's a few minutes ago. We can still reminisce those true muscle cars!)
Theoretically I didn't do this but my poor car. We went and saw it today. She needs more than a Band-Aid. Had an odor inside the car. My bestie is still freaked. Eh, I just thought I could run that car for 300k before this. Maybe not. At least I'll have new oil. That was my next dreaded bill.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's how moonshine running was born.

I agree. I had a relative that built a car for that. Of course I was told about it. Something about the shocks were built up and everything about the car was modified. My gdad told me about the Goodies in the gas tank while he had a racing team too. It would run but engine would be crispy after. Now I'm thinking about the potatoes being placed in Mom's 69 396....lmbo

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Living in nc I know all about that. My wife grandfather used to work as a gas man for Petty Sr before all the corporations got involved when it was still dirt racing

I'm about 1.5 hr give or take from Dega! He used to come to the MGM track on occasion as well. Short track but used to have a few come in. I miss his racing!

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Wtmke1 Been meaning to ask. What kit are you playing in the pic? I picked that up after years on the keys.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Wtmke1 Been meaning to ask. What kit are you playing in the pic? I picked that up after years on the keys.
It's a pearl export. I want to get a DW for shows. Practice on a Tama imperial star. Then the kit I have at home is a PDP z5.which is loosely based on the dw collector series

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool. Love the setup. My ex and I had bought a set of DW's back in the 2000's with the rainbow/tiger wrap. Never saw a smoky room. In all between the two of us we had 6 kits. Tama never fails. I sold a beautiful set of Tama SC about a year ago in Ivory. The PDP kit you have is a good kit for practice and for gigs that you want to save your back on. Used to carry a set of Ludwig's around for that purpose. I still have a set of Pro-M's. Love that kit (aqua to natural fade). Have a RocNSoc stored. I sold much of my stuff and only kept one kit and DW pedals. My unit is packed with more music stuff than housewares. Funny but true. I'm hoarding my pa around this area. Lol. I need to pick my music back up. It's a yearning I guess. Played one night on a sit-in for Saving Abel back in Oct. They were too kind! Closed event a few miles from me.
Love your kit. Looked as if you were enjoying yourself in that pic! :)

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Long before him. When Prohibition ended the drivers and cars went to dirt tracks. They needed somewhere to run the modified vehicles.

I figured he was running or his family back in the day.
I need to find that pic of the car that my paternal gdad built. Really need to her it framed. Mom said it sat up in the back with nothing in it. Would be cool to find one of those old cars just to have. Lol

DURASPANK

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My wife filled her accord with diesel one time while out of town. Had to drive 4 hours to get her going. Used a electric pump to drain tank then filled with gas. Had to use propane to get the car to crank and run till the diesel got out of the fuel lines. Lot of smoke from that tank of fuel. LoL

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife filled her accord with diesel one time while out of town. Had to drive 4 hours to get her going. Used a electric pump to drain tank then filled with gas. Had to use propane to get the car to crank and run till the diesel got out of the fuel lines. Lot of smoke from that tank of fuel. LoL

That had to be a nightmare. Yeah my car is about a good 3.5 hours away from me at the moment.
I can see how it's easier to put diesel in a gas tank but diesel tanks have a smaller hole to keep from gas. Again, my bestie literally fed it gas.
I bet it smoked. I cannot even imagine how your day went with the Accord. Sounds like a nightmare but a great fix to the issue. I used to have a Tahoe with the Flex fuel for lower octane etc and I was too scared to put anything but premium in it. I didn't care how green it could be, I just didn't. Lol.

I saw my car over the weekend and well, looks kinda sad. Stinks too! Ugh. ...

VU Sponsors