Become a Patron!

Extracting nicotine from tobacco

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any news on the advancement of methods we non chemical engineering folks may be able to extract nicotine from tobacco safely and have a way not to have the whole fist of the FDA crammed so far up our bungs that we won't be able to inhale anything. Any body on extracting with butane?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Seina_Yamada

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your interested in getting high grade nicotine 99%+ you can order it online, but the stuff is dangerous and it is transdermal meaning it can easily be absorbed through your skin. Really you want to try to stay under 2.6% its a lot safer and requires less lab knowledge/handling.

Quote from an other site.

"Regarding butane. I did this one with a piece of pvc pipe and about 100g of tobacco. The extraction worked exactly as described for Other materals, but it produced a grease that wasn't active. I think I took out oils and such and left the nicotine behind. Tried this twice and got the same results.

There is a possibility that I haven't tried. Nicotine is held in the tobacco leaves as various salts as well as the freebase. If one were to dampen the tobacco, add lye and mush it all together it could be that this process would release more of the freebase to be liberated by the butane.

The commercial process for this uses CO2, but I don't understand how to do that at home.

I did find a french procedure that used picric acid to form a picrate with nicotine that (apparently) precipitates from water. I haven't tried it since I would then have to find a way of disposing of the picric acid.

If I could find a salt of nicotine and a solvent it was insoluble in......."

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would advise against using the French procedure using Picric acid. That compound is highly, highly unstable (read explosive). If you are going to extract nicotine from tobacco, read up on the chemistry of how to do so and learn a bit. Using Butane to extract nicotine won't work. The issue with DIY extraction is that you extract the alkaloids and the nicotine from the tobacco, just not the nicotine. The alkaloids are the nasties in tobacco which big tobacco scientists manipulate to create a more addictive product.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your interested in getting high grade nicotine 99%+ you can order it online, but the stuff is dangerous and it is transdermal meaning it can easily be absorbed through your skin. Really you want to try to stay under 2.6% its a lot safer and requires less lab knowledge/handling.

"Regarding butane. I did this one with a piece of pvc pipe and about 100g of tobacco. The extraction worked exactly as described for Other materals, but it produced a grease that wasn't active. I think I took out oils and such and left the nicotine behind. Tried this twice and got the same results.

There is a possibility that I haven't tried. Nicotine is held in the tobacco leaves as various salts as well as the freebase. If one were to dampen the tobacco, add lye and mush it all together it could be that this process would release more of the freebase to be liberated by the butane.

The commercial process for this uses CO2, but I don't understand how to do that at home.

I did find a french procedure that used picric acid to form a picrate with nicotine that (apparently) precipitates from water. I haven't tried it since I would then have to find a way of disposing of the picric acid.

I wanted to thank you sooner for your input. It is obvious to me that you have a bit of knowledge about chemistry. I on the other hand have zilch. I have been mixing my own for 4 years or so and can't imagine having to pay out my nose for nic in the coming future. I bought six 500ml bottles of nic @ (10%) hoping to be able to stash it for the lean years. I currently vape @ .3 and am satisfied. I just got off the phone with my supplier that told me that after 1 year in storage I should do titration and would NOT tell me if long term storage was safe. I am in a pickle, I can make 500mls last me over a year, maybe 2, so would you have any idea if it would turn toxic in time? Thanks a lot for keeping me safe from myself.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would advise against using the French procedure using Picric acid. That compound is highly, highly unstable (read explosive). If you are going to extract nicotine from tobacco, read up on the chemistry of how to do so and learn a bit. Using Butane to extract nicotine won't work. The issue with DIY extraction is that you extract the alkaloids and the nicotine from the tobacco, just not the nicotine. The alkaloids are the nasties in tobacco which big tobacco scientists manipulate to create a more addictive product.
I also owe a thanks to you as well for your input. I just am trying to do something that is not anything I know crap about but don't want to pay 100 times the current going rate for what I am doing now. In an earlier post to the same thread I stated that I purchased six 500ml bottles of 100nic (10%) and form where I bought it, was not given any encouragement that I should use it past a year. Hell, I can get close to 2 years per if I didn't help a few friends out.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I wanted to ask you about using butane to make a tobacco extract...how did it work? were you able to mix it with PG to create an extract to make juice with? how was the flavor...I know some people add PGA to their butane extact to nuteralize dangerous additives in the butane it seems at that point it is put in a freezer I'm wondering is the waxes and oils could be taken out at this point .

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wanted to ask you about using butane to make a tobacco extract...how did it work? were you able to mix it with PG to create an extract to make juice with? how was the flavor...I know some people add PGA to their butane extact to nuteralize dangerous additives in the butane it seems at that point it is put in a freezer I'm wondering is the waxes and oils could be taken out at this point .
I didn't try. Someone who has chemical experience said that they had tried a couple of times with a butane extraction and failed with getting the tobacco to release the nicotine and only got a substance that was no good. I hope that there is a way developed for those of us who don't have a background in chemistry to extract or we are going to get fucked.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't try. Someone who has chemical experience said that they had tried a couple of times with a butane extraction and failed with getting the tobacco to release the nicotine and only got a substance that was no good. I hope that there is a way developed for those of us who don't have a background in chemistry to extract or we are going to get fucked.

I'm not interested in extracting nicotine.. I am trying to extract flavor and get the cleanest NET juice I can.....it would be great if there was a safe kitchen method for extracting nic in case the goverment decides to go Nazi on vapers.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not interested in extracting nicotine.. I am trying to extract flavor and get the cleanest NET juice I can.....it would be great if there was a safe kitchen method for extracting nic in case the goverment decides to go Nazi on vapers.
The government is going to do that anyway. I am sorry I can't be of any help. My concern is only the nic as flavor will always be around for us.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The government is going to do that anyway. I am sorry I can't be of any help. My concern is only the nic as flavor will always be around for us.

synthetic tobaccos are God awfull....NETs are much much better but they tend to foul up coils pretty quick, alot of us are tryig to find a way to make a NET that doesn't have us changing wicks everyday.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can tell you that in my mixing experience, I went from dark juice that did as you say "gunk up the coil" to clear juice mixes and I am using the same coil and wick for about 2 weeks before I rewick my coil if I have to. I hope that can help you some.

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I read of a cold wash method being used that appealed to me, no chemicals sounded favorable. Ice water through bags containing tobacco leaves of increasingly tight weave or was that the dry herb, maybe both.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I read of a cold wash method being used that appealed to me, no chemicals sounded favorable. Ice water through bags containing tobacco leaves....
It would be great if you could provide a link to the article. I would love to have a backup plan if we can't buy nicotine when the FDA comes to rape all of the people who vape.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you, I haven't heard anything about NET juice. I smoked a tobacco in my pipe called "Blue Note" and would love to vape some of that flavor if possible. I bookmarked the link.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk[/.

There is a facebook page called ..DIY Tobacco e-juice that will get you wired into making your own NETS...also there is a very long thread over at ecf about making NETS they have all kinds of methods...cold maceratcion,heat assisted maceration, PGA maceration heat assiste macerations...

If you want to try some good NET juices I'd recommend
http://www.naturally-extracted-tobacco.com/. by clay packard
or Ravens Cut
there is also a guy here on the forum who has a NET company based up in Seattle. and uses only natural materials for extracts...nice guy..

Last edited:

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There is a facebook page called ..DIY Tobacco e-juice that will get you wired into making your own NETS...also there is a very long thread over at ecf about making NETS they have all kinds of methods...cold maceratcion,heat assisted maceration, PGA maceration heat assiste macerations...

If you want to try some good NET juices I'd recommend
http://www.naturally-extracted-tobacco.com/. by clay packard
or Ravens Cut
there is also a guy here on the forum who has a NET company based up in Seattle. and uses only natural materials for extracts...nice guy..
I really appreciate your posts. I have bought enough nicotine to last me for 20 years, only 1 problem. No one will guarantee that it will be good past 1 year. I know that it will last longer but what I don't know is, will it turn into a poison over 5 years or will it just be 92% nicotine.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really appreciate your posts. I have bought enough nicotine to last me for 20 years, only 1 problem. No one will guarantee that it will be good past 1 year. I know that it will last longer but what I don't know is, will it turn into a poison over 5 years or will it just be 92% nicotine.

yeah I've been vaping for over 3 years and have belonged to half a dozen forums, and I've never even come across anyoen mention a DIY nicotine extraction method...from everything I've read the process is involved and requires expensive equipment...but I agree a DIY method would be fantastic.

Nomuff2tuff

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

its the same way they process coca leaves into paste, you did it right u just now need to break it down.

j1969n

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was just checking on the NET bandwagon. Getting like .4 return on it. I over bought 100 nic cut with vg, with that said the people who make pg and vg will NOT give guaranty that the product be safe past that point.

VU Sponsors