Become a Patron!

Extremely hot button and sparks!

Hey I have a Amera Vapes buster mod with a Samsung 18650 battery. The button uses magnets not a spring.

When ever I press the button, the inside edges arc on the inside of the mod. I cleaned it and even tried reassembly and sanding it. Please help.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What atty are you using? That mod is a hybrid top cap mod where the positive 510 connection touches the positive pole of the battery. Look at your atty's 510 connection, if the 510 center (positive) connection does not protrude 1mm or more, stop using it immediately, you will be shorting out your battery and causing the switch to heat up and worse. You risk battery venting if you use it and short out the battery.

Don't use subtanks on this mod.

Last edited:
I unscrewed the button a little and now it hits great and doesn't get hot. I have a mutation x atomizer. Thanks for the help and fast replies. I'm going to use that diaeletric grease too

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just looked at my mutation, I would have to back the copper 510 screw out a bit to use on a hybrid. If you had to unscrew the switch from being tight on the mod, then there an issue with the switch you need to address.

Last edited:

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Grease prevents the spark (ARCING) from oxidixing the metals, so resistive oxides do not build up. Back in the old days, we used grease on ignition points so they lasted longer - the 'make and break' on a high current switch like points, arcing would reduce the gap after a while. You can use any thick CLEAR silicone grease.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, I used to use dielectric grease on my points in my older cars, but not clear silicone grease. Think there might be electrical insulating properties in the grease dr_rox?

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The dielectric grease that was supplied the last decade or so of points being around, silicone grease was the choice - insulates plus high break down temp. Petroleum based greases as a rule have a lower break down or drop temp. It may not have been labeled as silicone grease.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To the OP @Slepperev ...I would still check to make sure the screw on the bottom of the atty is sticking out far enough to use safely on a hybrid, I would check every trap screw on your build of your atty and every insulator of everything on that mod...just because it stopped arcing by spacing out the contacts doesn't mean that there isn't a problem hidden in the wood works. I would check everything again after that just to be on the safe side.

The only atty I ever had hard short and fuse on me was an authentic JD Tech Manta V2 atty on a Authentic JD tech Stingray using a authentic JD Tech hybrid cap...and that's the way they advertised the setup to be used and it was the most dangerous setup I have had. The silver plated copper screw in the center pin of the 510 connection on the atty was made of such soft copper that when I tightened the battery down it literally smooshed the screw head even with the bottom of the connection causing the short. If I hadn't of been damned luck and realized what happened as quick as I did and again I say DAMNED LUCKY I would have had a fully charged vtc 4 vent in my face.

Just because something looks good on the up and up doesn't mean something can't go wrong. There was no way I would ever know that the screw was going to smoosh in and short till it happened because I thought I was using it the proper way and had checked everything and was being safe and it still hard shorted and almost vented my battery. Just something to keep in mind....when it comes to hybrid mods there is no such thing as "being too safe" ...personally, I don't think there's anything safe about them at all, but please just be careful.

VU Sponsors