Become a Patron!

FA Almond Help.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I originally purchased FA Almond for my bakery recipies. It works great with most of my AP based concentrates. When I've tried to make any Cream versions though, it just doesn't work. Either it gets drowned out by the creams or becomes an unpleasant bitter note, reminisant of FA Raspberry. Below is one of my "Almond Milk" recipies to give you an idea of my percentages and how I'm trying to use it. This recipe has the Almond coming out bitter.
FA Almond............. 2.5%
FA Fresh Cream.... 2%
TFA DX Milk........... 2%
FA Meringue.......... 1%
FA Vanilla Tahiti.....(.5%)

Has anyone else been able to pull this off? Is their a better Almond and/or Flavor compliment?

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried the FA almond at lower %'s ..? I'd give it a shot at .5 up to 1% - You can always add some as you go along and are testing..

also what steep time are you giving that mix? I'd guess that the tfa milk would need a week or more, maybe two.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could back it down, again. This is my 3rd version and landed on 2.5% after working up from 1.5%. I probably should re access.

Yes , given this particular recepie w/ DX Milk a solid 2weeks. It's no good, in any recipe, before.

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
I agree, I'd probably start FA Almond around 1% and try working your way up. Maybe try swapping TFA Dairy Milk for a different cream or custard flavor. TFA Dairy Milk at 2% is also a bit high and will probably add to the bitterness.

whodat2112

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This isn't really helping with your original question, but here is an excellent Vanilla Almond Milk recipe (in my opinion)

Vanilla Almond Milk (not my recipe, but a favorite)

Dulce de Leche (TFA) 1%
Dairy Milk (TFA) 2%
French Vanilla (TFA) 5%
Marzipan (FA) 1%
Toasted Almond (TFA) 5%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TFA) 3.5%
Vienna Cream (FA) 1%

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree, I'd probably start FA Almond around 1% and try working your way up. Maybe try swapping TFA Dairy Milk for a different cream or custard flavor. TFA Dairy Milk at 2% is also a bit high and will probably add to the bitterness.

FA Fresh Cream is way more bitter than the regular TFA Dairy Milk IMO.
Never tried the DX version tho...

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I originally purchased FA Almond for my bakery recipies. It works great with most of my AP based concentrates. When I've tried to make any Cream versions though, it just doesn't work. Either it gets drowned out by the creams or becomes an unpleasant bitter note, reminisant of FA Raspberry. Below is one of my "Almond Milk" recipies to give you an idea of my percentages and how I'm trying to use it. This recipe has the Almond coming out bitter.
FA Fresh Cream.... 2%
FA Meringue.......... 1%

Has anyone else been able to pull this off? Is their a better Almond and/or Flavor compliment?

You can also add some FA Marzipan to help the Almond, but you'll need to lower the Almond tho.
Sub out the Vanilla Tahiti with 1% FA Vanilla Classic, or INW Shisha Vanilla, or 1-2% TFA Vanilla Swirl.
I'd also lower the Fresh Cream to 1%, or replace it with CAP/TFA Sweet Cream.
Adding 1% FA Marshmallow might help sweeten it some.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good tips thanks all. I'll back off my creams a bit & Almond.
I used FA Vanilla Tahiti as it has some nutty notes to it and kept it low so as to not make it too Vanilla.
Maybe DX Dairy is too overpowering. I just really like the Dairy note it brings. Hmm.. maybe change gears and use Marshmallow.
You all confirmed that this, again, needs an overhaul.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can also add some FA Marzipan to help the Almond, but you'll need to lower the Almond tho.
Sub out the Vanilla Tahiti with 1% FA Vanilla Classic, or INW Shisha Vanilla, or 1-2% TFA Vanilla Swirl.
I'd also lower the Fresh Cream to 1%, or replace it with CAP/TFA Sweet Cream.
Adding 1% FA Marshmallow might help sweeten it some.
I wholeheartedly concur. :wave:

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FA Fresh Cream.... 2%
FA Meringue.......... 1%

I wander if lowering almond and adding .5% of hazelnut will help round out the bitter almond taste. I know it has worked for me in other flavors. It adds a nutty note to my recipes but only when in low percentage and not overpower anything. Bring almond to maybe 1 1.5. Vienna cream also seems to sweeten our bitter tastes use that around .5 - 1.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who
I wander if lowering almond and adding .5% of hazelnut will help round out the bitter almond taste. I know it has worked for me in other flavors. It adds a nutty note to my recipes but only when in low percentage and not overpower anything. Bring almond to maybe 1 1.5. Vienna cream also seems to sweeten our bitter tastes use that around .5 - 1.

Who's Hazelnut? FA?

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes sorry my recommendation is all in flavorart. And to be Clear that is .5% hazelnut.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is going to require some more flavor purchases..... I already have FA Torrone in my shopping cart how does that differ from FA Marzipan? Is it as intuitive as Torrone is Creamy & Toasted Nut and Marzipan is Sweet & Raw Almond?
I haven't used my Torrone for awhile, but if I can remember correctly it has more of a boozy/strong flavor(not a bad thing). Marzipan has a nice soft/smooth/sweet almond thing going on. Marzipan is worth getting if you like almond mixes. I go through quit a bit of it myself. Adding lower amounts of FA Almond to FA Marzipan brings out the natural almond flavor without the bitterness.

EDIT; If you don't have CAPs VBIC, you can use 2% FA Fresh Cream+ 1% FA Vanilla(classic or bourbon. OR, 1.5%-2% FA Vienna Cream.

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
FA Fresh Cream is way more bitter than the regular TFA Dairy Milk IMO.
Never tried the DX version tho...

Yeah, 2% might be a bit much in that recipe. I usually use it around 1% along with something like Bavarian Cream or Meringue

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back again, just to bring this thread back around to the solution. Made a flavor purchase and followed some of ya'lls lead and have definately made a huge step towards my vision. A few more tweeks probably, but very good. I added two new flavors, Marzipan & Nut Mix and reduced the exsisting flavors as suggested. I think the Mixed Nuts adds a nice "blanched" raw nut note and the Marz definately fills in with a sweeter smooth note that the helps along the slightly astringent Almond. Thanks everyone!

FA Almond ...... (.5%)
FA Marzipan... (.5%)
TFA DX Milk.... (.5%)
FA Meringue....... 1%
FA Fresh Cream.. 1%
FA Mixed Nuts.. (.25%)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors