Become a Patron!

FA butterscotch flavor percentage?

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's up folks? I tried making a butterscotch recipe...Claim Your Throne...which calla for 12% TFA butterscotch along with a couple other flavorings. I know FA is more potent so I tried 6% with a good steep and cannot taste the butterscotch much, actually kinda has alittle off taste at first. I tried looking it up and some claim using 20% is the sweet spot but to me it seems alot. Anyone work with this and can give suggestions? Thanks!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's up folks? I tried making a butterscotch recipe...Claim Your Throne...which calla for 12% TFA butterscotch along with a couple other flavorings. I know FA is more potent so I tried 6% with a good steep and cannot taste the butterscotch much, actually kinda has alittle off taste at first. I tried looking it up and some claim using 20% is the sweet spot but to me it seems alot. Anyone work with this and can give suggestions? Thanks!

I've never used any FA flavoring over (I think) 4%! It may be that you started too high and the flavor was muted? If you post the recipe, perhaps we can help?

If that's the flavor I think it is, it's mainly Caps Vanilla Custard - I don't remember even tasting butterscotch.

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was thinking this might be the case so I cut 5ml in half, so FA butterscotch was at 3% but that was before steep and couldn't taste it then. I'm not home right now but will see if I can call and get the recipe. Thanks!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking this might be the case so I cut 5ml in half, so FA butterscotch was at 3% but that was before steep and couldn't taste it then. I'm not home right now but will see if I can call and get the recipe. Thanks!

Have you vaped the original to know what you're expecting it to taste like?

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
12% TFA butterscotch. 6% sweetcream. 4% vanilla custard 3% brownsugar. I used FA butterscotch, capellas sweetcream, capellas vc and TFA brown sugar extra

mink

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a different recipe for Claim Your Throne that got good reviews and may be helpful -

Rebelman - my exact recipe I use every time I make a batch of 30 ml,
3.6 ml butterscotch
1.8 ml sweet cream
1.2 ml vanilla custard (v1)
.9 ml brown sugar

All TFA flavorings, giving me 7.5ml total flavoring. 12 ml of PG/nic 12 mg and 10 ml of VG. 4 hr crock pot a week in closet.

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No I haven't. The flavors are good except for the butterscotch

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FA butterscotch is kinda tricky for me.. I find that it def needs some steep time b4 i get the flavor out of it. I also pair it with caramel and or some fresh cream even if only a small amount.

edit: btw do check out the flavornotes posted by mink - good stuff!!

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is 6% to high that maybe you have noticed?

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My 30ml bottle grew to 60ml and now looking at 120ml if I have to lower the butterscotch to 3% lol! I hope I like it!

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies much appreciated!

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol, that did cross my mind once lol. Great idea thanks

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sure thing. I think I'm gonna really like it once I get it sorted out, thanks!

Hey all, I've started DYI mostly for the perfect butterscotch. 28 Days Vape's Dreamer is my fav. I have the uncanny ability (or disability) of being repulsed by anything with Acetoin, or any of the custard bad chemicals ever since I stopped smoking last month. That leaves me with only FA Butterscotch to work with. Any help with a buttery, straight up FA butterscotch recipe?

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
12% TFA butterscotch. 6% sweetcream. 4% vanilla custard 3% brownsugar. I used FA butterscotch, capellas sweetcream, capellas vc and TFA brown sugar extra

6% fa butterscotch is still too high as others have said and it probably is muted or "off" at that rate. If fa butterscotch is going to work in this recipe, it has a much better chance at 3%.

here's a thought; if I were you, I would set aside the mix you have going--after making sure you've noted what & how much is in it, then start over with a new 10 or 15ml batch using 3% fa butterscotch with the other ingredients. Then, if it doesn't work--because sometimes switching brands in recipes works and sometimes it really doesn't, I've found--you won't have doubled your original batch again at risk of ending up with a gallon of something you're unhappy with. Also, you can tweak it easily, using drops, in a small batch and then when you get something you like, make the bigger bottle. You can always try to salvage the original mix later after you've solved butterscotch question.
Or pouring a bit off from the batch you have as already suggested would work fine too. It strikes me as a little more complicated that way but should work just as well.

good luck and I hope you update on your progress. I have all those flavors but I've never used fa butterscotch with any of them.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't knock FA, as a matter of fact I think they have some of the most realistic natural tasting flavors there are. With that said I have to say their butterscotch is one flavor I just don't understand. The only thing I can come up with is that Italy has a different version than what an american thinks butterscotch should taste like.
I don't taste " butterscotch" at any percentage in my mix. I will mix some up as a solo flavor tonight and give you my thoughts if you would like.

vapeCali

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agreed! I just cut my recept in half (2% butterscotch ), I'm getting a nice sweet, creamy vape but it's not the butterscotch I was looking for. I might be better to add a little butter but I don't have any atm. Thanks and let us know how it turns out.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok. Mixed up at 6% FA Butterscotch flavor only.
70/VG 30/PG, 3mg VT Nic,
Getting a very nice recognizable butterscotch type flavor!.....But...it is very light for my taste.
Doubled % (not recommended) and is good flavor but still light for me. Just not that sweet, creamy, rich flavor that I think of as butterscotch.
Think I'm gonna try TFA and see how it tastes.
It's easy to see how 2% would get lost in a mix.
Gotta give FA props, it's gotta be difficult to pull off a good butterscotch flavor without using acetoine/acetylpropional. Guessing Pulling off a buttery flavor without baddies is not likely, This is a good option for those avoiding trying to avoid them.
Going to add some sweet creams to this bottle and see what becomes of it.
This is only my humble opinion and everyone should experiment with this flavor on their own and decide if it's good for them. We all taste things differently what's weak for me might be mind numbing strong for someone else. Good luck friend

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you been vaping tfa and cappella butter scotch before trying fa? Maybe your just missing the diktones i could be wrong but i think they do contain them
Iv recently learned a fair bit about diktones and dont like the sounds of it but it makes flavours taste so feaking good its hard to avoid lol

happy vaping

Last edited:

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I too have found butterscotch extremely light flavour wise. An older order with FA UK I by mistake ordered custard pi (which is a premix) rather than custard. I tried a simpel pie with butterscotch in 4% custard pi - 2% butterscotch and am just getting a nice pie with backnotes of custard, the butterscotch I can hardly notice at all? I know the flavour is there as a good UK vendor called "The Yorkshire Vapour" alluded to using FA butterscotch in his butterscotch custard recipe as it was about the only brand without diketones in the flavour and his butterscotch was prominant. I have found it adds to caramel flavour very well in some of my mixes though and to be honest Im not mad on butterscotch anyway but its one of a very small few FA flavours that are not exciting me so far from my own unexperienced mixes.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I too have found butterscotch extremely light flavour wise. An older order with FA UK I by mistake ordered custard pi (which is a premix) rather than custard. I tried a simpel pie with butterscotch in 4% custard pi - 2% butterscotch and am just getting a nice pie with backnotes of custard, the butterscotch I can hardly notice at all? I know the flavour is there as a good UK vendor called "The Yorkshire Vapour" alluded to using FA butterscotch in his butterscotch custard recipe as it was about the only brand without diketones in the flavour and his butterscotch was prominant. I have found it adds to caramel flavour very well in some of my mixes though and to be honest Im not mad on butterscotch anyway but its one of a very small few FA flavours that are not exciting me so far from my own unexperienced mixes.
What is that custard pi like i keep looking at that every time i order lol

happy vaping

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
TBH, to me at least it just tastes like 2/3 apple pie and 1/3 custard with a hint of something else in....probably butterscotch as it is such a hint haha. What I like with the UK site is you can actually see the recipes for a few of there pre-mixes and make them yourself. If you look at the ones on there, they are pretty basic mixes, Im sure a few others are more complex but just from the descriptions I think you could probably work out a good place to start on the ingredients of each one. I bought the custard pi premix in error but I guess some of them are worth getting if you are thinking of trying a recipe which has concentrates you dont have and there is a similar recipe on there as it saves you possibly buying 2 or 3 concentrates you might not like and only use once....think this would probably apply mainly to tobacco ones.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
TBH, to me at least it just tastes like 2/3 apple pie and 1/3 custard with a hint of something else in....probably butterscotch as it is such a hint haha. What I like with the UK site is you can actually see the recipes for a few of there pre-mixes and make them yourself. If you look at the ones on there, they are pretty basic mixes, Im sure a few others are more complex but just from the descriptions I think you could probably work out a good place to start on the ingredients of each one. I bought the custard pi premix in error but I guess some of them are worth getting if you are thinking of trying a recipe which has concentrates you dont have and there is a similar recipe on there as it saves you possibly buying 2 or 3 concentrates you might not like and only use once....think this would probably apply mainly to tobacco ones.
Yea good idea im vaping there ry4 nutzilla at the moment in my subtank mini that aint to bad but i do wana try that apple pi soon!
Only thing i dont like about fa flavours is i find them very harsh in my subtank mini! Still aint figured out why :/

happy vaping

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have trouble tasting Butterscotch too, but I came up with something pretty good IMO.

Butterscotch Swirl

Butterscotch FA 3%
Butterscotch FW 3%
Butterscotch TFA 3%
Vanilla Swirl TFA 3%
Sweet Cream TFA 2%
Coconut FA .5%

I found that mixing the different brands helps a bit.
Some use a little bit of Caramel with the Butterscotch too.
I tried NF Butterscotch and it has good flavor but too much alcohol for me.
When using that one, I made with all the Butterscotch amounts at 2% each.

It does have some of the "baddies" though...

Last edited:
I have trouble tasting Butterscotch too, but I came up with something pretty good IMO.

Butterscotch Swirl

Butterscotch FA 3%
Butterscotch FW 3%
Butterscotch TFA 3%
Vanilla Swirl TFA 3%
Sweet Cream TFA 2%
Coconut FA .5%

I found that mixing the different brands helps a bit.
Some use a little bit of Caramel with the Butterscotch too.
I tried NF Butterscotch too and it has good flavor but too much alcohol for me.
When using that one, I made with all the Butterscotch amounts at 2% each.

It does have some of the "baddies" though...
That does look pretty good. I'll give it a try adjusting to my preference. Thanks!

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just be sure to write down the percentages as you go along, otherwise you'll end up with a winner and have absolutely no idea how you got it:eek::D
lol How many times that's happened to me.. :(

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a different recipe for Claim Your Throne that got good reviews and may be helpful -

Rebelman - my exact recipe I use every time I make a batch of 30 ml,
3.6 ml butterscotch
1.8 ml sweet cream
1.2 ml vanilla custard (v1)
.9 ml brown sugar

All TFA flavorings, giving me 7.5ml total flavoring. 12 ml of PG/nic 12 mg and 10 ml of VG. 4 hr crock pot a week in closet.
Very good recipe. Thanks for posting!

Ok my butterscotch research continues...

I have finally got the butterscotch I wanted, ala 28 Days vape "Dreamer".

I found that FW has nicest flavor but needs a touch of FA butterscotch for sweetness (that can't come from a sweetener to achieve the profile I'm going for) and a touch of TPA butterscotch for a more cooked flavor. The following are their suggested individual single mix percentages:
FW 7%
TPA - 12%
FA 5%

So my blend is:

Butterscotch FW - 4%. ( best base flavor IMO)
Butterscotch TPA - 0.75% ( adds a cooked element in small quantities)
Butterscotch FA - 0.5 %. ( adds a sweet/dairy element the others are missing)

I can taste their individual contributions to the flavor, I'm very happy so far. To get the " Dreamer" quality I'm looking for I also added:

Sweet cream TPA - 1.5%
Fresh cream FA - 0.5 %
Caramel FA - 1.0 %.

I am amazed how good this tastes. Btw I've tried a few of HIC's recipes, they all taste very weak to me. This being said the percentages I used are very "correct" to my taste buds. Needs a minimum of 10 days steep to make the butterscotch come through. I don't use heat, closet only.

If you have these 6 flavors give it a try. 75vg/25pg I'd love some feedback.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors