Become a Patron!

FA Raspberry Issues

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been trying so many recipes with this flavor and it always falls flat. It has this dominant top note that's dry and kind of tannic tasting. There's definately a raspberry flavor, but it seems to be missing dunno... Sweetness, Cream, some form of fruity richness. I've attempted through blending to add in those notes, but to no availe. I just made a batch of my "Fruit & Milk" with it and blegh, just doesn't blend very well. All my Strawberries, Blueberries, Melons and even Lemon blend in real nice to this recipe. What gives? Doesn't even work well in my Lemonade recipe. All this trouble and I cant find anyone else struggling with it like me. Am I alone in this?
Thanks for the support.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know we're all different with our tastes, but have you tried it lower? For me, that's a really, really strong flavoring. I typically use it at 0.5%, only ONCE at 1%. If that doesn't work, INW Raspberry is really good.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh! Ok, I'll try. I remember starting off that low w/ my first recipe, Raz Lemonade and inched it up because I couldn't taste it above 3% Lemon Sicily which is where it starts to taste like a Lemonade and not just lemon. I then just kept using it at those levels... prolly a mistake. Let me try and I'll update.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh! Ok, I'll try. I remember starting off that low w/ my first recipe, Raz Lemonade and inched it up because I couldn't taste it above 3% Lemon Sicily which is where it starts to taste like a Lemonade and not just lemon. I then just kept using it at those levels... prolly a mistake. Let me try and I'll update.
Not a mistake if you can't taste it there. Good luck! :)

RonaldStark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love FA Rasberry, and yeah like huckleberried said lower is probably best, I usually go around .5 - .75 and it's still in the foreground. I found it goes really well at .5 with .5 % tiramisu 2 % apple pie 1 % fresh cream and 1% Vienna cream :)

Sent from my iPhone using

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know we're all different with our tastes, but have you tried it lower? For me, that's a really, really strong flavoring. I typically use it at 0.5%, only ONCE at 1%. If that doesn't work, INW Raspberry is really good.
I agree 100% with the Huckster. Also you need to give FA raspberry a few days(steep) to come out.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been trying so many recipes with this flavor and it always falls flat. It has this dominant top note that's dry and kind of tannic tasting. There's definately a raspberry flavor, but it seems to be missing dunno... Sweetness, Cream, some form of fruity richness. I've attempted through blending to add in those notes, but to no availe. I just made a batch of my "Fruit & Milk" with it and blegh, just doesn't blend very well. All my Strawberries, Blueberries, Melons and even Lemon blend in real nice to this recipe. What gives? Doesn't even work well in my Lemonade recipe. All this trouble and I cant find anyone else struggling with it like me. Am I alone in this?
Thanks for the support.
I'm not a big fan of FA Rasp. It's overwhelming over 2% and I can't taste much interesting at 1%. It works in some recipes though - HIC's Double Rainbow in the recipes section is one of my favourites.

+1 for INW rasp. It's as strong (possibly stronger) than FA rasp. 1% is as much as you'll ever need - 0.5 works great with other flavours! :)

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I've made a new batch of my "Fruit & Milk" recipe w/ lowered Ras %. Now I can barely taste the Rasp. Just for transparency here's my %'s. Maybe .75%?

Nic........... 4mg
PG/VG..... 30/70
Rasp (FA).................... .5%
Cream Fresh (FA)..... 2%
Custard (FA)............. 3%
Ethyl Vanillin 10%..... 2%
Vienna Cream (FA)... 1%

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well I've made a new batch of my "Fruit & Milk" recipe w/ lowered Ras %. Now I can barely taste the Rasp. Just for transparency here's my %'s. Maybe .75%?

Nic........... 4mg
PG/VG..... 30/70
Rasp (FA).................... .5%
Cream Fresh (FA)..... 2%
Custard (FA)............. 3%
Ethyl Vanillin 10%..... 2%
Vienna Cream (FA)... 1%
If I wanted Raspberry in the forefront, I'd reduce the Fresh Cream to max 1%, the Custard to 1%, use FA Vanilla Classic at 1%(instead) and leave the Vienna as is, BUT.... I do find the raspberry to be really strong, so that's just me. I'd give it at least overnight after mixing creams.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always been curious if Ethyl Vanillin acts similar to Ethyl Malto in muting flavor. Obviously they're both an Ethyl.. Just an obvious association.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the support.
I second your sentiments towards FA Raspberry, I really do. I've seen it praised to high heaven and back in multiple places, but I never had a really good experience with it til I shoved so much Vanilla Bourbon and Fresh Cream at it that it was more of a tint of raspberry than anything else. It's good as long as I "drown" the flavor with complimentary flavors, but no, I agree - it's kind of weird. Not what I expected buying it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I made a batch of HIC's Blue Razzz, that is using FA Raspberry. However, I can't taste any Raspberry at all. I think, I'll try replacing it with the INW.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I made a batch of HIC's Blue Razzz, that is using FA Raspberry. However, I can't taste any Raspberry at all. I think, I'll try replacing it with the INW.
I like the Blue Razz. There's another in HIC's store, Sweet Watermelon Juice, I accidentally combined those one day and it was fantastic!!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I like the Blue Razz. There's another in HIC's store, Sweet Watermelon Juice, I accidentally combined those one day and it was fantastic!!
Good to know. Now I only have to "accidentally" combine those. :giggle: Have the Watermelon mixed up already.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good to know. Now I only have to "accidentally" combine those. :giggle: Have the Watermelon mixed up already.
I think it was about 1/3 tank blue. then topped off with the Watermelon. Possibly the other way around, I seriously can't remember, but it berried up the watermelon. They're good on their own, too.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it was about 1/3 tank blue. then topped off with the Watermelon. Possibly the other way around, I seriously can't remember, but it berried up the watermelon. They're good on their own, too.
I haven't tried the Watermelon yet. I was too lazy to either clean a RDA, or put a new build in a clean RDA. :oops:

Liquidlunch

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do you guys think of this recipe from breakthu, sounds lovely but seems insane high flavouring for FA? I might try it at half the %……?

BeetleJuice:

5% Raspberry
3% Mango
5% Pineapple
6% Stawberry

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I might try it at half the %……?

Half seems still way too high. 9.5% of your mix with those FA flavors? It would be too high for me.

Ron
----
"When you do bad things, bad things happen to you."- Farrah Fawcett

Liquidlunch

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes maybe as the raspberry, mango and pineapple are. Really strong fa flavours, haven't got the strawberry was going to sub with TFA. I'll make start at a quarter % and work up if necessary. Will report back.........

Liquidlunch

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do you guys think of this recipe from breakthu, sounds lovely but seems insane high flavouring for FA? I might try it at half the %……?

BeetleJuice:

5% Raspberry-fa
3% Mango-fa
5% Pineapple-fa
6% Stawberry(TFA)

ok i just mixed that at a 1/4 % its pretty nice with near zero steep.!

Im not getting much raspberry............, pineapple and strawberry most noticeable, a little sweet, think thats the tfa strawberry.

Will knock the tfa strawberry down a bit and the pineapple and up the mango and raspberry a notch.

Maybe a touch of lemon or lime wouldn't go a miss in there. Nice vape tho!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
ok i just mixed that at a 1/4 % its pretty nice with near zero steep.!

Im not getting much raspberry............, pineapple and strawberry most noticeable, a little sweet, think thats the tfa strawberry.

Will knock the tfa strawberry down a bit and the pineapple and up the mango and raspberry a notch.

Maybe a touch of lemon or lime wouldn't go a miss in there. Nice vape tho!
In order to cut the sweetness, I'd use a bit of lime. However, either Lemon, or Lime should do.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

BeetleJuice:

5% Raspberry
3% Mango
5% Pineapple
6% Stawberry
I bet these are tfa flavors.

Liquidlunch

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well that's what i thought but he states all flavours are FA. Maybe hes abbreviating Flavour Apprentice lol. Must be cause theres ample flavour at quarter %

2% lime tahity added. I'll post back once sampled. Glad I quartered it now :)

VU Sponsors