Become a Patron!

FA Zeppola - calling all doughnut freaks.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anyone else buy Zeppola?

I like it better than TFA frosted doughnut. Zeppola has strong hints of the oil/fried cake but could use a little more nutmeg flavor.

I mixed it at 4% with 5% blueberry wild.

I would not however, recommend the blueberry wild. It's completely tasteless to me. I will use blueberry extra next time, until I order in some FA Bilberry.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe you got a bad batch of Tpa wild? Its pretty popular....So you think zeppola taste like a plain cake doughnut flavor? I dont care for joy or nonnas much.... BUT I LOVE DOUGHNUTS HAHA

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I doubt it was a bad batch. TPA is either good, or it's not. Some are great, some are shit.

But yes, Zeppola IS a fried doughnut flavor.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stoked thanks, thats goin on the list! I havent enjoyed Tpas blueberry stuff myself so far either so I get it lol. Im particular about that flavor and most BB ones just arent up to my tastes. I would like to know how a mix with this and caps glazed donut turns out

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Stoked thanks, thats goin on the list! I havent enjoyed Tpas blueberry stuff myself so far either so I get it lol. Im particular about that flavor and most BB ones just arent up to my tastes. I would like to know how a mix with this and caps glazed donut turns out

The CAP glazed doughnut I have is cake batter, not doughnut. I think CAP calls some stuff a different name, but it's the same flavoring.....
I've only used the CAP doughnut once, and I was pissed about it. I'll reserve it for where I need a cake batter.

I will likely mix TFA and FA doughnut in the future.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The CAP glazed doughnut I have is cake batter, not doughnut. I think CAP calls some stuff a different name, but it's the same flavoring.....
I've only used the CAP doughnut once, and I was pissed about it. I'll reserve it for where I need a cake batter.

I will likely mix TFA and FA doughnut in the future.
Oh caps glazed donut is my favorite!? I take it you have a bigger sized bottle and kinda stuck with it for a while? I use cake batter sparingly in a lot and it does good usually around .25%, it does have some issues at higher percentages as it can fade a mix and make it do funny things throughout steep. The 2 are way different to me though, ive ordered both at least twice. I got dx doughnut and im not sure it really tastes like a doughnut, and I figured the regular Tpa frosted would have some type of negitive effect so I hadnt tried it yet. Pretty satisfied with the Cap one anyways but it would be nice to have another good one to tag team it with. Just hope I dont get any odd sour notes from the zeppola. Have you tried it solo yet? Sorry im just tired of wasting money on flavors I wont use...

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will take your advice on Zepolla but EVERY company has let me down more than twice....except jungle flavorz only tried a few so far from them, all good. Honestly, its mostly my own fault for not doin more research before pickin up what I wanted. I do think SOME of the "bad" ones I got were likely just bad batches though, still makes me not wanna reorder it. It kind of ruins the flavor for me to trial and error with it and waste time and supplies the first time I purchase it. Every brand has goods and bads Imo and to categorize the whole brand on a couple bad flavors may cause you to miss on a lot of good ones....Just a thought. I found checking as many reviews as possible even from diff sites really helps get a better idea of what im in for when I purchase. Its those last minute add-ons I usually regret and sometimes the newer flavors with few reviews

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I doubt it was a bad batch. TPA is either good, or it's not. Some are great, some are shit.

I've had some trouble myself with the Blueberry Wild recently.
Had a couple bottles early on, like 2+ years ago, that were quite good.
They were direct from TFA/TPA tho.
Lately tho, they seem to be weaker, so I've had to mix it with some Blueberry Extra.
Purchased from others though, not from TFA/TPA direct.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had some trouble myself with the Blueberry Wild recently.
Had a couple bottles early on, like 2+ years ago, that were quite good.
They were direct from TFA/TPA tho.
Lately tho, they seem to be weaker, so I've had to mix it with some Blueberry Extra.
Purchased from others though, not from TFA/TPA direct.
Same here in respect to not buying direct and tasteless/weak flavor. I already had the thought of spiking the other 120 mil with BB extra. I had been using it previously and was ok with it.

Only reason I bought wild was because someone else said it was better than extra, and I didn't want to spend the extra on FA bilberry.

I am at a toss up now as to the zeppola. It's good, but the price is the same as the TFA, when mixed at the right ratios. 4% FA or 8% TFA. Maybe i'll try a bottle with the two blended together, and see how it tastes with the two combined.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Only reason I bought wild was because someone else said it was better than extra

Once upon a time that was my opinion, and it's a good flavor but maybe it needs to be more freshly made.
It seems to loose flavor just from storage, even more so than most others IMO.
But the original glass bottles from TFA were maybe less prone.
And all my later orders were in plastic bottles, hmm...

mysticman

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I tried FAs zepolla as a single flavor at 4% and I think it will make a great base for a number of different filled donut flavors. Got 2 steeping right now...Bavarian cream and Strawberry. Tasted good when first mixed but both will probably need some tweaking after they steep for another week or so.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the inputs on blueberry wild I may stay away from it to save myself the headache( was on the list). I traded my bb extra and now I wish I had it to combo the other ones I have

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ordered it but it hasn't come in yet. Very excited though. FA Wow is also quite tasty and I was very surprised about it. Lately FA has been letting me down. I hated Joy, Nonna's cake, and a couple of others that were hyped up.
As for TFA Wild Blueberry... I love it... but I do mix it with Blueberry extra.

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
I just got a bottle of Zeppola on my last order, gonna try it today.

However I've really been liking FLV Crunch Cereal in small amounts to also give that fried donut/fried pastry vibe to cream, custard, and cheesecake mixes. It has to be small amounts though like .5% or less or it just tastes funky to me.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got some of this a while back.. To me, it is more of a fried dough like flavor like beignets, or maybe funnel cake, rather than donuts. Haven't mastered it yet, but I can see where it is going to be fun to work with. While experimenting I came up with kind of a powdered donut recipe that isn't bad. Still fine tuning it though.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I got some of this a while back.. To me, it is more of a fried dough like flavor like beignets, or maybe funnel cake, rather than donuts. Haven't mastered it yet, but I can see where it is going to be fun to work with. While experimenting I came up with kind of a powdered donut recipe that isn't bad. Still fine tuning it though.
Correct. This is a "fried cake" type doughnut, not a yeast type doughnut.

Both TFA and FA have the same idea. Fried cake doughnuts. FA, you can definitely taste the "oil" it's cooked in. Tastes like doughnuts my mom used to make.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone else buy Zeppola?

I like it better than TFA frosted doughnut. Zeppola has strong hints of the oil/fried cake but could use a little more nutmeg flavor.

I mixed it at 4% with 5% blueberry wild.

I would not however, recommend the blueberry wild. It's completely tasteless to me. I will use blueberry extra next time, until I order in some FA Bilberry.
Really like Zeppola....!

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got around to trying this in various recipes (3-4%) on a one month steep.

Very good fried dough'ish flavor note with lots of potential. Infinitely better then the other doughnut experiments I've tried using TFA/CAP imo. NO playdoh...yay!

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I got this and was super impressed with it, smell and taste right off the bat like a cinnamon doughnut or an elephant ear maybe. Tried at 2% and was crisp and clean right after mixing on the dripper. Next day it tastes flat like it faded a LOT over night. I get faint cinnamon-sugar and some dough but not near as heavy or evident as it was. Someone PLEASE tell me im just imagining things or that the flavor comes back during steeping? This is kinda what happened with caps funnel cake for me too, except not as fast. Will be trying 4% but was so happy at 2% I didnt think it needed it,

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I love Zeppola! Going to buy a bigger bottle when I order next. I use it all the time.....

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anybody turn this into something really good? I still have mine in the fridge and want to have another go at it. It was one of my first flavors and I didn't really know what I was doing back then. I was using way too much flavoring when I started.

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to use Metaphor to help support the Zeppola. What I get from it alone is a nice, fried donut flavor, but it's a dry taste with no mouthfeel & it seems to fade fast. I added it to Wayne Walker's Fried Ice Cream & could taste it right off, but by the time the mix steeped the Zep had relly faded into obscurity. I've also used it in Kingboomer's Lemon Donuts & Squonk's Goomba, but have intentions on making both those again, subbing the Metaphor in for the Zeppola. And although the Metaphor to me is much better & if anything gets heavier & more moist as it steeps, I will probably always keep a small bottle of Zep around. I use it anywhere from 2% up to 4% & haven't tried it any higher yet in anything.

VU Sponsors