Become a Patron!

Favorite build for a sub ohm on a mech

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been using my mech mods more and more lately (single battery 18650) with a new Para coming this week. I usually use ss 316l 24 ga on a 3mm mandrel for around .3 ohms (dual coils) and am fairly happy with it, but I want something more. I've build Claptons, fused Claptons, and some zipper coils for my big Regulated mods but none of them ever heat well on my mech mods due to the additional mass. I see people using these huge elaborate coils on mech mods but don't see how they can heat well with a single battery so I figured I would ask you folks what works best for you?
I like to vape my tanks around 50 watts (give or take 20 watts) on my reg mods but use drippers on my mech mods and like to get more power (usually shoot for 60 watts at 4 volts)

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've noticed people using more elaborate builds on single battery mechs, but for the most part they have been running a single coil setup rather than running dual, so, that's probably part of the issue along with the type of wire they are using (NiChrome 80 having a faster ramp up than Kanthal and SS having a faster ramp up than NiChrome 80).
Right now I'm having to try some new coil setups to get used to a new RDA, so, I'm also curious what others are using. With my Mini Buddha RDA I used a 3-Strand Parallel Dual Coil build using 26ga NiChrome 80, 7 wraps around a 2.4mm precision screwdriver, clocking in around .12 ohms...I had that sitting on a Vapetech Pegasus Mod. I recently picked up both the X1 Mod and matching X1 RDA, but with so much less airflow with the X1 than the Mini Buddha, I switched to a two-strand parallel dual coil build using 24ga Nichrome 80 8-wraps around a 2.4mm precision screwdriver to cool down the vape, but it still runs pretty hot.
0d21582cbb932ef05a5da5ad3d77f4dd.jpg

2058e5a8a08f99788e287cb53ace6c95.jpg

Looking forward to hearing what others are using to see if I can cool down this vape without losing much in the way of taste or clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
6 wrap parallel using 26 guage kanthal (or sometimes 24 gauge ss 304) at 3.0mm ID

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For single bat mech, I go simple with spaced 3mm 8-9 wrap 22 gage N80 dual coil

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For single bat mech, I go simple with spaced 3mm 8-9 wrap 22 gage N80 dual coil
I know the wire you are using ramps faster then kanthal...but still, doesn't a dual 3mm 9 wrap in 22 gauge still have a pretty slow ramp time? That's a LOT of metal to heat up.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
18650 tubes I use 29x2/36 317L SS fused Claptons around 0.2 Ohms, 26650 tubes 26x2/36 317L Fused Claptons around 0.16 Ohms.

Very responsive and tasty Vape

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know the wire you are using ramps faster then kanthal...but still, doesn't a dual 3mm 9 wrap in 22 gauge still have a pretty slow ramp time? That's a LOT of metal to heat up.
Way too much wire mass IMO, would take forever to ramp up.

budd77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try taking a few wraps off your original build. 9.5 wraps of SS 316l 24 ga, 3 mm ID should put you right at .2 ohms in a dual coil. Should heat up fast and give you a nice tasty vape. R055co's .2 ohm fused clapton build would probably be an amazing vape. Just more work.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dual Ni80 FC 24/38, 4 wraps, 3mm ID @0.07.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
make the same build out of 26 gauge, and do a side by side
Yep, on my tube mods using between 28g - 30g SS core for my fused claptons I seriously get responsiveness comparable to my Series Mod's.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
That's why people "purge" when using mechs, to give the coils time to heat up before taking a drag

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
would feel weird to not do any purge on a mech. Like a lot of people, it was how I was started with and now it's second nature

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
would feel weird to not do any purge on a mech. Like a lot of people, it was how I was started with and now it's second nature
Oh I might do a tiny slight purge but no where near the standard purge, I just like hitting it. I actually started on Mech's with Series so I'm used to little to no ramp up.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
only thing I learned quickly not to purge is the Arominizer Supreme. One mistake I'll never make again (especially since it was screwed on so one of the intakes was aimed right at my neck)

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
that is also both juice and battery power wasted IMO
Purging is a PiA most of the time due to juice flying out while purging, I try to avoid builds that need to be purged ;)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tend to use simple SS 316L, 26G 2.5MM ID coils, around 7-8 wraps, comes in around 0.25 and heats fast, and provides plenty of vapour (For my style of vaping anyway).

I have tried things like Claptons, and also bigger, lower resistance coils, but I don't like the slow ramp up of thicker wire without going too low, or having to 'Purge' the mod. I like to be able to fire and take a hit right away, everyone is different though of course and many people like doing this.

If I built at say 0.1-0.14, I could probably use bigger coils, but I just don't feel safe going that low on a mech mod.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've settled into a standard build over time, 2.5 mm wick and coil, 26 kanthal in a 6/5 wrap over 325 mesh for .7 ohm

BornToDie423

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used a 3-Strand Parallel Dual Coil build using 26ga NiChrome 80, 7 wraps around a 2.4mm precision screwdriver, clocking in around .12 ohms...
Dual Ni80 FC 24/38, 4 wraps, 3mm ID @0.07.

I know this thread started nearly a month ago and all, but I really felt this was worth mentioning..

My favorite build is any build that doesn't exceed my batteries capabilities safely...Thanks for asking.:)

Mike touched on it, but didn't really explain anything.

In regards to @ScReWbALL, .12 is outside the continuous amp limit of most, if not all 18650 batteries. 20 amp batteries are fine to about 0.21ohm. 30 amp batteries to around 0.15. Make sure to pay attention to Mooch's battery tests to check what your batteries really are and what your lowest target build should be in regards to your safety.

@anen PLEASE tell me that was a typo. This is the mechanical mod section, bud. 0.07ohm is well outta range of being anywhere near a safe build unless you're running a triple battery box in parallel with 30 amp batteries. That's a hard short waiting to happen. You're mod get nice and toasty in your hand? If it is, that's your battery not being able to keep up with the demanding build you've got going on. It weakens the integrity of your battery resulting in a loss of cycles and drains the battery faster than it is meant to be drained(again, loss of cycles). Let's not forget the higher risk you run of being a news story...

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
any of:
- dual 2 strands parallel n80 or SS g26, 5 wraps on 3mm
- dual parallel 1 strand g26 / 1 strand g24, both n80 or SS, 5 wraps on 3 mm
- dual 2 strands parallel n80 or SS, g24, 5 wraps on 3mm
- dual g22 n80 or SS, 1 strand each, 5 wraps on 2.5mm equally spaced (wraps 2 strands parallel, then unwrap 1 repeat)

The later two are pretty hot, the very last is instant full vapor, but good for 3 / 4 secs drags (which i like) while still producing a heck of a lot of vapor

VU Sponsors