Feeling pretty dense.......

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello all!
OK, still trying to grasp the concept of ohms, Watts and voltage.
Talked to my dad, he's an electrician, for some help. He's not a smoker and after some explanation on vaping he tried to break it down Big Bird style for me.
His analogy was;
-Cigarettes are like wood fire bbqs.
-Vaping is like cooking with cleaner burning fuel ie. Propane, butane,electric.
-Batteries,mods and tanks are the different tools to "cook" your juice. Like corner store ecigs are hot plates, batteries are like gas stove tops and beyond (mods) can be gas grills to blow torches.
-Tanks are like the pots and pans used to cook. A Teflon pan is fine on a stove top but ridiculous on a grill where as a cast iron is good on anything.

Dad is a pretty smart guy. Anyone care to elaborate or add more info?
Maybe what relates to what in reality.
(I know it's kinda weird)

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's not a bad analogy at all. You want to keep your dishes clean, and you want to keep your wick working well. The mod/battery is like the oven/stove, the tank is like the pan, and the juice is your food. He's got a good grasp on the situation.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems pretty accurate to me. Not sure how resistance and battery safety would be worked in. Maybe smaller size gas line restricts the amount of gas giving a smaller flame but lasts longer.... hmm. That's not great.
"Break it down big bird style" lol love that. I'm sooo stealing that line!

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Voltage -drive your car up and down hills ---you put your foot on the gas or fuel and ,take it off going down hill
watts --put cruise control on and it adjusts the power to your engine automatically
ohms--- water goes thru a pipe , the resistance the water encounters is an ohm .
over simplified but thats how I began to understand it .

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, that helps too! I usually pick up knowledge pretty quick and this concept keeps dodging me.
Big Bird style is the best sometimes, feel free to make it your own!! ;)

Reactions: Ace

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's pretty much spot on, IMO. I would add the burner switch/range knob on electric stoves (where you go lo/med/high) as where you set the power to - to add on to what @Ace mentioned above. Other than that, it's an awesome way of explaining Vaping 101. :)

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So that would be like a vv or vw ego?

1truk

Member For 4 Years
VW can sort of be explained like this == Lets take an example of two brand new Vehicles. The first is a Pickup that weighed 1000 pounds. The second is a VW (No Pun Intended) that weighed 500 pounds. For argument sake lets say they are both being driven down the road at 10 miles per hour and hit a brick wall (thankfully no one was hurt). If we use Ohms Law as a reference where Voltage is the Weight of the Vehicle and Current (Amps) is the speed of the vehicle then the force with which they hit the wall will be POWER. So in this example even though they were driving the same speed the Heavier Truck hits the wall with much more POWER or force than the Volkswagen. In fact, for the Volks to hit the wall with the same force as the truck it would need to be going twice as fast. Now, lets take one more thing into consideration. The road conditions. In this example both vehicles are using the same road but if they weren't and lets say the Truck was on a hill, this would affect the trucks ability to reach and maintain its 10MPH. This would be considered Resistance (Ohms). Variable Wattage devices came about using the theory that instead of having just the Voltage Setting on a device to adjust your Vape that they would build or add additional circuitry into them or make them a little smarter so that when you press the button to Vape it would actually look to see if a device/tank was attached and if so what the Road Conditions were (Ohms / Resistance) before adjusting the Weight (Voltage) and Speed (Amps) to meet the POWER setting that the operator has pre set to their liking. In theory, this was a way to have a MOD mimic the type of Vaping experience regardless of what device you put on it because it automatically adjusts the POWER setting based on the Resistance of the device. I sure hope I haven't just put everyone to sleep with this boring crap but if you took the time to read it I appreciate it.

Last edited:

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Man!!! That really helps, I think I'm starting to get it. For now I'm just sticking with a simple ego and tank but I have been watching the videos. Taste your juice and indoor smokers are hilarious but really have a lot of info.
I told my husband I needed to get a back up set and some more juice. He went to the corner store for ice and came home with a Luxury Lites ego-u set up. Surprised me!!!
1406298494576.jpg
I was leery of the quality, but the batteries are good and the tanks aren't too bad. No leaking or anything, I know y'all said the ce4 are junk, but so far so good.
The menthol juice he got, same company, is horrible though, bless his heart.
I researched the company and found that they make hookah cigalikes and their flavors are awesome. I'll try some others but that menthol is nasty!!!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know that I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing an ohm calculator becoming a standard feature in future mods.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Man!!! That really helps, I think I'm starting to get it. For now I'm just sticking with a simple ego and tank but I have been watching the videos. Taste your juice and indoor smokers are hilarious but really have a lot of info.
I told my husband I needed to get a back up set and some more juice. He went to the corner store for ice and came home with a Luxury Lites ego-u set up. Surprised me!!!
View attachment 2497
I was leery of the quality, but the batteries are good and the tanks aren't too bad. No leaking or anything, I know y'all said the ce4 are junk, but so far so good.
The menthol juice he got, same company, is horrible though, bless his heart.
I researched the company and found that they make hookah cigalikes and their flavors are awesome. I'll try some others but that menthol is nasty!!!
Not all CE4's are junk, in fact lots of people really like them. Look this is all new to you. This is your journey and the only thing that matters is that you find what works best for you. Period. Enjoy .. FWIW, my wife is a Menthol smoker too and really loves Halo's Menthol Ice ..

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So far it's pretty good, I have found the batteries are really good, I put my first tank on the new battery and it worked better!! I've heard good things about Halo, I'll have to try them too, and invest on shelves. I can see having a juice wall....

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with the BBQ analogy, works pretty good. I'm a car guy by trade, so I use an engine analogy for everyone at work. It works for them. With vaping such a new phenomenon, a lot of people don't understand the ins & outs of it, why one thing is better than the other. Finding an easy way to explain it to someone will help them understand it all better, whether that be an analogy that fits with they're interests or technically breaking it down.

Personally I think CE4's are junk, but that's compared to everything else out there. For a beginners entry clearo, I think it's decent. They're cheap to buy & maintain. Easy to learn on (as far as basic care goes), easy to see fluid level. But they are kinda fragile. Mine didn't last long in the shop. Not saying anything bad about your purchase or decision. We all started somewhere. Most of us started with something we don't use anymore due to this turning into a hobby & contacting upgradeitis.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you all!!! I went to the only vape shop near me yesterday and the guy seemed pretty informed. Got to try all of the Coval flavors he had!!!! Ocean and Coffee were my favorites but most were really awesome.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you all!!! I went to the only vape shop near me yesterday and the guy seemed pretty informed. Got to try all of the Coval flavors he had!!!! Ocean and Coffee were my favorites but most were really awesome.
Good for you!

VU Sponsors