Become a Patron!

Feeling sick after water intake is normal?

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,

So I'm a new vaper less than a week in and I've b en trying to do research but nothing is popping up. Me being the paranoid freak I am when I heard I needed to drink more water I started to drink bottles of it. As I was taking a couple of gulps I started to feel a bit nauseous and here I don't really have a doctor to speak to about it because they treat vapers as if were the devil. I currently smoke 6mg with a istick pico. Have any of you experienced that by chance?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you did not smoke, vaping nic can make you nauseous.

Last edited:

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First, vaping is not smoking :)

If you think water is making you nauseous - go to the doctor. Find one who will not treat you like satan.
Sorry didn't mean to say smoking. After having a 5 minute vaping session I felt a little better so I think it's due to withdrawal. I spoke to a GP over the phone they said it's too much water at once for my body to handle.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry didn't mean to say smoking. After having a 5 minute vaping session I felt a little better so I think it's due to withdrawal. I spoke to a GP over the phone they said it's too much water at once for my body to handle.

Yes. Too much water is just as bad as too little. You need to drink a LITTLE more water, but you could easily get it from anything non-alcoholic and non-caffeinated. If you glug water like there's no tomorrow, you're going to just pee out all your electrolytes, and then you'll REALLY have a big problem.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

:)

Glad the doc was logical - and do hope you are feeling better!

Too much nic in a vape does make some folks feel nauseous - and be careful to keep the juice off of your skin or directly in your mouth by accident

That can cause problems also

Good luck with your vaping journey - and welcome to VU :wave:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That, and you may be reacting to too much fluoride. Even if you drink bottled water..
watercharts-794x1024.jpg

Yea, even Zephyhills which bummed me out as I've been drinking it for years thinking it was cool

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes I'm an ex smoker as of Thursday I switched. I tried a smoke Saturday and I didn't like it as much as I thought. The worst thing is having to source the nicotine from elsewhere (australia has the worst ruling) I have another question how do I get rid of cottonmouth?

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I'm an ex smoker as of Thursday I switched. I tried a smoke Saturday and I didn't like it as much as I thought. The worst thing is having to source the nicotine from elsewhere (australia has the worst ruling) I have another question how do I get rid of cottonmouth?
If you only recently quit smoking you'll have cotton mouth for a while.
It's your body getting rid of the ciggie toxins.

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are no glaring problems with your nic level for an ex-smoker.

Like Dr. Hazy;) said, there is a transition period...
It's a crap shoot. you could drop the nic level to 3 mg and see if that helps.
I was smoking a pack of 20s or 30s in a day no worries before they were blue so I mean 6 should be fine right?

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It shhouulddd...

Straight up... just from your description, it seems to me you could be describing the signs of too much nic.
Nicotine is strong stuff. It's toxic in high doses.
Lower your nic, don't screw with this stuff.

....unless you're simply over-vaping. Reset the puff counter and check yer use after a few days.

Outta curiosity, what atty are you using? ... and what tank? (or topper)
It's a istick pico 75w and it's a melo 3 mini which hold I think 4ml

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also for clarification blues are 12mg so 20-30 cigarettes a day at 12mg is what I used to smoke

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.5 is hot but shouldn't cause you symptoms.
I think the amount of nicotine is insignificant.
However jumping from Blu, she said "pack" so I'm guessing disposables
to an istick pico 75w and melo is a pretty big leap.

The Blu disposables are available in 2.4% and 4.5% nicotine strengths.
If she's doing 6mg/ml it might be overwhelming because of the delivery method.
(though it is hard for me to believe it's too much nic 'cause I'm vaping DIY 20mg/ml)

Something else to consider is VG/PG ratio. Some people are allergic to one or the other.

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh, ok. still smokes hit you with more nic and tons of other bad chemicals.
the problem may be the vg or pg. stop vaping for a few days (don't smoke either)
I'm using a 75% VG 25% PG with no allergies to either ( used to use puffers)

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another possible culprit might be water itself. Hydrating with plain water is not a very good idea (in one word: electrolytes). Juices and teas are much better for hydration.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using a 75% VG 25% PG with no allergies to either ( used to use puffers)
Make sure of that 'cause if by puffer you mean an inhaler I do too but still have problems with too much VG.
For clarification, I did some googling while recalling I think you mentioned Oz.
Do you mean Winfield Blue at 12 mg?
upload_2017-5-28_3-46-38.jpeg

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep that's correct those ones are the ones I smoked
Those are mild but they're made by the folks that make Marlboro.
Loaded with toxins, getting off those, getting the crap out of your system will take weeks.
So some of your symptoms may well have something to do with that.
I quit cold turkey and had a ton of withdrawl symptoms.

Vaping is a step down in nicotine ingestion
but a stronger delivery system.
Sort of like the difference between dripping and vaping a tank.
The 20mg/ml I use in a tank at 1 ohm is unvapeable in a dripper at .5 ohm..

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not a doctor or anything, but when u vape the extra water intake doesn't mean bottles and bottles of water, vaping just gives u a bit of cotton mouth. So what I do when vaping is when I'm done with a vape session I just take a couple swallows of water to " wet my whistle" lol. And I have been fine. I have never experienced drastic dehydration or anything like that and I vape quite a bit...around 20ml a day at 3 nic. But if u started drinking a lot more water and at the same time are adjusting to not having the ciggies in your life it might have just made u a little nauseous. Hang in there and list to your body? Got cotton mouth, take a swig of water. Feel a little sick ease up on the vape for a few minutes. And always remember that when u smoke the nic hits your system almost instantly and when u vape it can take around 15 minutes....at least from what I've read and in my own experience that seems to be the time. So if u steel feel cravings after your first few puffs just wait a few minutes then see how u feel. I've known people that make themselves sick because they vape too much too fast. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the amount of nicotine is insignificant.
However jumping from Blu, she said "pack" so I'm guessing disposables
to an istick pico 75w and melo is a pretty big leap.

The Blu disposables are available in 2.4% and 4.5% nicotine strengths.
If she's doing 6mg/ml it might be overwhelming because of the delivery method.
(though it is hard for me to believe it's too much nic 'cause I'm vaping DIY 20mg/ml)

Something else to consider is VG/PG ratio. Some people are allergic to one or the other.

Just because YOU can tolerate that much nic means NOTHING to a different body -- I smoked at least a pk a day, sometimes up to 3 pks a day, for 39 yrs... and anything over 6mg was too much for me, even using a cigalike -- it made me sick as a GOAT.

I would say, you could TRY 3mg, as hellcat suggests, and see how it goes -- but keep some of the 6mg handy, just in case you start craving cigarettes.

Also there really is no need for a "a vape session" -- just vape whenever you feel like it, and then set it down -- it's not gonna burn away in the ashtray, so there's no need to treat it like a cigarette -- it's still gonna be there, the next time you feel like a puff or two.

Andria

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Uneducated theory: your drinking vape residue which has nicotine content. So you've just vaped however much nicotine into your lungs then followed up by washing down whatever amount of nicotine was on your tongue. Im familiar with nicotine's effect on me and the slight queasy stomach is the same effect i get when i wake up and take a couple puffs of 12mg which is super strong and i get that "too much nicotine" feels.

Would most definately further dry your mouth but give it a try to swish the water around your mouth then spit it out before guzzling...that might reduce the residual nicotine in your mouth and prevent you from swallowing it.

Again just a theory. But for me, that stomach feeling for me is 100% related to too much nicotine.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Didn't anyone bother to read the post where OP said DR told her she was probably just slugging too much water???

I did, and I agree; it's just as possible to die from water overdose as from dehydration -- our bodies need a certain amount, and have a *little* tolerance for too much or too little, but not a huge margin. The way some folks on vaping forums advocate practically drowning yourself with water is NOT good advice. If you drink that much water, byebye electrolytes, and you NEED those -- they carry electric charge to all the parts that need it -- like your heart!

Andria

Bodytemp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update: I started drinking soda with water every now an again I started to feel better. But I don't know what happened but my pico stopped working last night the button no matter how hard i press it isnt firing (yes its charged) so waiting for the vape shop to open to take it back. Does anyone have reccomendations I want to get two. One for no nic and one for nic I liked the pico but... It leaks and Im not a fan of that

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Update: I started drinking soda with water every now an again I started to feel better. But I don't know what happened but my pico stopped working last night the button no matter how hard i press it isnt firing (yes its charged) so waiting for the vape shop to open to take it back. Does anyone have reccomendations I want to get two. One for no nic and one for nic I liked the pico but... It leaks and Im not a fan of that

Soda won't really help your hydration at all; better choice would be juice, or decaf tea or coffee -- or coconut water, which helps keep your electrolytes balanced.

Andria

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just because YOU can tolerate that much nic means NOTHING to a different body -- I smoked at least a pk a day, sometimes up to 3 pks a day, for 39 yrs... and anything over 6mg was too much for me, even using a cigalike -- it made me sick as a GOAT.

I would say, you could TRY 3mg, as hellcat suggests, and see how it goes -- but keep some of the 6mg handy, just in case you start craving cigarettes.

Also there really is no need for a "a vape session" -- just vape whenever you feel like it, and then set it down -- it's not gonna burn away in the ashtray, so there's no need to treat it like a cigarette -- it's still gonna be there, the next time you feel like a puff or two.

Andria
With me I found that a "vape session " for a lack of a better term helped me. I try to limit the number of puffs that I take within a certain time frame because if I don't i vape near constantly. So In my experience it is good to try and set some sort of limit, wether it's puffs or a time frame because like you said it's not a cigarette...,a cigarette ends and a tank of juice can last quite a while. And for me especially when I was first starting out I would get a little nic sick because of the time delay it takes to hit your system.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With me I found that a "vape session " for a lack of a better term helped me. I try to limit the number of puffs that I take within a certain time frame because if I don't i vape near constantly. So In my experience it is good to try and set some sort of limit, wether it's puffs or a time frame because like you said it's not a cigarette...,a cigarette ends and a tank of juice can last quite a while. And for me especially when I was first starting out I would get a little nic sick because of the time delay it takes to hit your system.

Near-constant vaping is HOW I was able to make the switch after 39 yrs of smoking with little or no feeling of deprivation -- anytime the thought of a smoke even began to cross my mind, I vaped, until those thoughts pretty much gave up crossing my mind. That's why I couldn't vape anything over 6mg without godawful nausea; it had to be something with which I could "vape my face off" -- and the great benefit of being able to vape anytime, without having to go outside, and then set it down and have it be there waiting the NEXT time I wanted it, was one of the GREATEST benefits of the entire experience! It satisfied my urge to smoke, but didn't have to be treated like smoking! With the running outdoors shit or the burning wastefully away in an ashtray shit or even the stink shit!

So, by sticking to the obsolete idea of a "session", you're pretty much just tossing away one of the greatest assists towards making a clean break from smoking. So what if you vape constantly? That doesn't last -- my husband says I vape maybe half as much as I used to, or even less -- without making any effort at reduction, even being aware that I had made any reduction -- though I only vape 3mg now.

Andria

Last edited:

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Near-constant vaping is HOW I was able to make the switch after 39 yrs of smoking with little or no feeling of deprivation -- anytime the thought of a smoke even began to cross my mind, I vaped, until those thoughts pretty much gave up crossing my mind. That's why I couldn't vape anything over 6mg without godawful nausea; it had to be something with which I could "vape my face off" -- and the great benefit of being able to vape anytime, without having to go outside, and then set it down and have it be there waiting the NEXT time I wanted it, was one of the GREATEST benefits of the entire experience! It satisfied my urge to smoke, but didn't have to be treated like smoking! With the running outdoors shit or the burning wastefully away in an ashtray shit or even the stink shit!

So, by sticking to the obsolete idea of a "session", you're pretty much just tossing away one of the greatest assists towards making a clean break from smoking. So what if you vape constantly? That doesn't last -- my husband says I vape maybe half as much as I used to, or even less -- without making any effort at reduction, even being aware that I had made any reduction -- though I only vape 3mg now.

Andria

Don't get me wrong I love vaping....it's not just a smoking cessation tool for me anymore, I have definitely crossed into the land of being a hobby vaper. But I disagree with you about the whole "session" thing. When I'm at work and go out to vape on brake? Session. When I vape outside of the car because my stepson is with me? Session. When I go outside to vape so as to not annoy the rest of my family with my foggy London levels of clouds? Session. It's cool that u have a husband that doesn't mind u vaping inside.....I wish my girlfriend was as easy going lol. I totally agree with u that vaping shouldn't be lumped in with cigarettes and smoking but I try to be considerate of those around me when I vape, I will stand down wind from those that don't, and I try to make sure I'm not blowing vapor on somebody. So while I will build my coils, clean my tanks, or mix my juice any time I please I try to hold the vaping down to a minimum when I'm around people that don't vape in my household. If I'm by myself and everybody is in bed I look like a chimney. But the rest of the time I go out onto my back porch sit down with a good book and a cold beer and enjoy my vape in the peace and quiet. So I envy the freedom u have to vape whenever u want , I also like having a little something to look forward to

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't get me wrong I love vaping....it's not just a smoking cessation tool for me anymore, I have definitely crossed into the land of being a hobby vaper. But I disagree with you about the whole "session" thing. When I'm at work and go out to vape on brake? Session. When I vape outside of the car because my stepson is with me? Session. When I go outside to vape so as to not annoy the rest of my family with my foggy London levels of clouds? Session. It's cool that u have a husband that doesn't mind u vaping inside.....I wish my girlfriend was as easy going lol. I totally agree with u that vaping shouldn't be lumped in with cigarettes and smoking but I try to be considerate of those around me when I vape, I will stand down wind from those that don't, and I try to make sure I'm not blowing vapor on somebody. So while I will build my coils, clean my tanks, or mix my juice any time I please I try to hold the vaping down to a minimum when I'm around people that don't vape in my household. If I'm by myself and everybody is in bed I look like a chimney. But the rest of the time I go out onto my back porch sit down with a good book and a cold beer and enjoy my vape in the peace and quiet. So I envy the freedom u have to vape whenever u want , I also like having a little something to look forward to

I vape pretty much everywhere, though generally not out in stores (though I've sneaked one or two here and there ;)), mainly just cuz I got used to not smoking there, and I find vaping is a bit easier to go a bit longer without "needing" it. I'm quite certain that one reason my husband remains completely thrilled with vaping is because I don't cloud up the place; when you vape 85%-86% PG at 9.5-ish watts, the clouds are approx like what I exhaled when I smoked, but dissipate faster, and of course don't reek like burnt tobacco. He also loves that I spend maybe 1/10th what I spent on smoking, now that I'm all set on hardware and DIY my own juice -- and even when I was making the hardware investments, I still spent half or less what I spent on smoking, and the stuff i bought didn't turn into ashes. And of course, I don't stink, and I don't stink up the truck either -- actually I make it smell like a bakery. :D Even HIS sense of smell has improved, now that he's no longer subjected to 2nd hand smoke on a regular basis. He's DELIGHTED with vaping in every possible way, after enduring me as a smoker for 27 yrs. We'll have our 30th wedding anniversay 5 days before I hit my 3rd yr smoke-free. :)

Andria

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Congratulations on 30 years married!! That is no small feat for sure. I'm coming up on my 3rd year smoke free too. Went from about 1.5-2 packs a day. I started off with one of those cig alike pieces of garbage at first and couldn't quit with it. My brother actually helped me get my first real mod. Which was a hades mech mod and a mutation 2 rda. 20/20 hind sight I shouldn't have started with a mech mod and a dripper seeing as I didn't know thing one about building or battery safety. My brother did my builds for me for a while until I got a cuboid and a herakles plus tank. It just kinda progressed from there. I will never forget my first juice that I used on that dripper...local maker and I got sweet tarts and fruity stripes. Totally fell in love right then and never picked up a smoke again lol.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm no doctor either but heavy water intake or too much at once can be a problem. Especially if you're hot or thirsty and chugging it, if possible try to just have a sip or two and space it out some. It affects people differently but water toxicity at the extreme can be deadly. Maybe instead of excessive water try gum or hard candy, something to keep your mouth wet so you suffer less of the cotton mouth sensation.

When I first went in the service it was a rough adjustment period, water intake became a lot higher. Of course we were exerting a lot and the goal was to stay hydrated but even during classroom activities we were drinking 1qt an hour. That was a lot of water and there were days I felt like crap and almost sick to my stomach from it. Steady slow sipping helps alleviate it and allows the body time to process it rather than drenching yourself too heavily at once. Many times you'll see athletes either cycling or running marathons who will take a few hits of water, they may only swallow once. The other times they're wetting their mouths, swishing and spitting it out so consumption doesn't make them ill.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First, vaping is not smoking :)

If you think water is making you nauseous - go to the doctor. Find one who will not treat you like satan.

While vaping should have no smoking....... knowing many only vape not to smoke. And only smokers vape to not smoke...... is there a difference to the eye of the non vaper or smoker?

I am happy to say I now only vape and no longer smoke... but i still consider myself a smoker. B
Mainly because my main goal of vaping is to replicate and replace smoking..

Are you 100% sure vaping does not equal smoking?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
While vaping should have no smoking....... knowing many only vape not to smoke. And only smokers vape to not smoke...... is there a difference to the eye of the non vaper or smoker?

I am happy to say I now only vape and no longer smoke... but i still consider myself a smoker. B
Mainly because my main goal of vaping is to replicate and replace smoking..

Are you 100% sure vaping does not equal smoking?

POSTITIVE

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
POSTITIVE
For you.......
but since I do consider vaping a firm of smoking. That makes your 100% only a 50% opinion when mine is included.....

Fwiw I have been vaping longer than E-Cigarettes have existed...... been doing it to not smoke for on 3 years.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
For you.......
but since I do consider vaping a firm of smoking. That makes your 100% only a 50% opinion when mine is included.....

Fwiw I have been vaping longer than E-Cigarettes have existed...... been doing it to not smoke for on 3 years.

Just because you believe vaping is smoking does not change it into a fact

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just because you believe vaping is smoking does not change it into a fact

Yep. No fire = no ash, no SMOKE, no tobacco = NOT SMOKING. It's a REPLACEMENT for smoking. Just as patches and gum are replacements, only FAR more effective!

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yep. No fire = no ash, no SMOKE, no tobacco = NOT SMOKING. It's a REPLACEMENT for smoking. Just as patches and gum are replacements, only FAR more effective!

Andria

I just think that it is important that vapers use correct verbiage in public, or we are just giving fuel to the bogus argument that vaping is smoking and needs to be outlawed or regulated to death;)

Totally get the "I still feel like a smoker" argument - the fact is you are not smoking, even if it feels like you are smoking when vaping. But you are not smoking, you are vaping

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just think that it is important that vapers use correct verbiage in public, or we are just giving fuel to the bogus argument that vaping is smoking and needs to be outlawed or regulated to death;)

Totally get the "I still feel like a smoker" argument - the fact is you are not smoking, even if it feels like you are smoking when vaping. But you are not smoking, you are vaping

Exactly right. It FEELS a lot like smoking, which is why it WORKS. But it's NOT smoking, which is why it's 95% safer than smoking! It's the SMOKE that's dangerous, both to the smoker, and bystanders -- e-cig vapor is AT LEAST 95% safer than ANY smoke.

And yes, the ANTZ numbskulls will seize on ANYTHING to try and get their control-freak way, so correct terminology is CRUCIAL. Calling it smoke doesn't make it smoke, just as calling it a tobacco product doesn't make it a tobacco product. The emperor is still NEKKID, no matter how the ANTZ ooh and ahh over his ostensible gorgeous robes.

Andria

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Beings that drinking water in large quantity is making you feel sick your probably dehydrated, you need to slow down your intake of water take small sips, consuming large amounts of water at once when dehydrated will make you sick

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors