FEMA to Flavoring Companies: GRAS Doesn't Mean Safe To Vape

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FEMA has been sending a letter out to flavoring manufacturers, warning them that the flavorings they manufacture have not been approved for use in e-cigs. This has already resulted in some flavoring manufacturers abruptly ceasing business with anyone who they suspect might be using their flavoring to make e-juice / e-liquid.

Here are some excerpts from the letter sent out by FEMA in the continued war against the e-cig industry:

http://vaporacle.blogspot.com/2015/03/fema-warns-flavoring-companies-not-to.html

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hate hearing about this. Big Tobacco is going to be the winner in the end, and there is no sense to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish the blog had included the whole letter. The excerpts that were given only warned against claims that vaping the flavors is safe on the basis that they are safe to eat. It looked more like a letter to warn about disclosure than a letter to get them to quit selling. The whole letter is needed for me to make a judgement on the intent of the letter. Bits and pieces, like the excerpts in the blog, can be given out of context.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wish the blog had included the whole letter. The excerpts that were given only warned against claims that vaping the flavors is safe on the basis that they are safe to eat. It looked more like a letter to warn about disclosure than a letter to get them to quit selling. The whole letter is needed for me to make a judgement on the intent of the letter. Bits and pieces, like the excerpts in the blog, can be given out of context.
Thank you for the input. I will put a link to the whole letter at the bottom of the page.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Fema should have nothing to do with any of this they need to keep there crooked noses out.

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to be clear, it's the Flavor Extract Manufacturers Association, not the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Yeah, I was a little confused. Thought everyone was jumping on the "banwagon"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK you had me going there for a moment lol,
Sorry, it confused me at first too, but they both have the same acronyms. Lol. o_O

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the input. I will put a link to the whole letter at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.

I read it different I guess. It looked more like a general warning against insinuating that flavors are safe to vape because they are safe to ingest. I didn't see any warning to not sell.

I do appreciate the information being passed on.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks.

I read it different I guess. It looked more like a general warning against insinuating that flavors are safe to vape because they are safe to ingest. I didn't see any warning to not sell.

I do appreciate the information being passed on.
Good call suggesting I include the letter in its entirety. People can make up their own minds. Despite the intention of it, though, I've seen two reports already of manufacturers cancelling orders with e-juice companies due to it, and the stupid thing was only sent out yesterday.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To be honest, the "Its GRAS for food' argument has always baffled the hell out of me. 'Safe to eat' is not the same as 'safe to vaporize and inhale'

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've actually changed the title of this thread as well as that of the blog story so it doesn't sound so reactionary. Thanks for all the input.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for an excuse to bulk up on flavors in case the rug is pulled out from under us.

I like to know flavors are are FDA approved/GRAS. Hell, who wants to vape a product that isn't even safe to eat? :p

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Why is FEMA involved with this?

Aren't they in charge of building toxic trailer homes for the victims of natural disasters?

IMHO, why should the makers of flavoring be worried?

They are not responsible for what is done with their product once they sell it.

As near as I can tell, if someone orders some chocolate flavor from them and that person uses it to make Rat Poison taste like a chocolate bar and sends treats to the ANTZ they are not liable.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMHO, why should the makers of flavoring be worried?

They are not responsible for what is done with their product once they sell it.

As near as I can tell, if someone orders some chocolate flavor from them and that person uses it to make Rat Poison taste like a chocolate bar and sends treats to the ANTZ they are not liable.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell. I'm pretty sure tobacco companies add flavors to cigs and they are getting them from someone.

That said, in today's world some flavor companies may become concerned over public perception and won't want to risk losing big clients that threaten them with boycott on moral grounds for providing flavors for e-cigs. If the anti-vaping crowd grows in influence it would be quite easy to have a big name(coke-pepsi just as a random example) threaten to drop their flavor providers on moral grounds. This is becoming a popular tactic for some issues already, like gay rights.

I'm not saying it will be done, just that it could.

J.Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's all fucked up..fuck them..
I'm trying to get into diy juice..was thinking about ordering they wizard labs..anyone know anything about them out have better options..any input appreciated

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
This isn't really even an issue for DIY juice makers. This will mostly affect B2B sales to vendors who buy in bulk, not B2C.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This isn't really even an issue for DIY juice makers. This will mostly affect B2B sales to vendors who buy in bulk, not B2C.
Well if it affects the B2B sales, then ultimately it will affect B2C sales. If eCigxpress, Heartland, Wizard Labs, etc can't buy in bulk, they won't be able to sell to us DIY'ers.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a different note... has anyone looked who the members of this FEMA are?
I have, they're here at this link, but I don't see any of the flavor manufacturers we use as even being a member of this industry trade group. I don't see TFA/TPA, FlavourArt, FlavorWest, Inawera, Loranns, etc. There's a lot of companies in there I recognize, but none that we use in ejuice making, unless I'm missing something.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I suppose that would depend on from where those companies buy product for flavorings. I was just looking through the TFA site. I recall something in there talking about the place they get their product for their flavorings. I cannot find it now! But, does that make sense?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On a different note... has anyone looked who the members of this FEMA are?
I have, they're here at this link, but I don't see any of the flavor manufacturers we use as even being a member of this industry trade group. I don't see TFA/TPA, FlavourArt, FlavorWest, Inawera, Loranns, etc. There's a lot of companies in there I recognize, but none that we use in ejuice making, unless I'm missing something.
I see motherfucking lorilard and rj renolds on it.
Nuff fucking said a trade group with those two needs to be disregarded.. both of those motherfucking companies have taken gras and made it into one of the most toxic things on the planet.
FUCK FEMA.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suppose that would depend on from where those companies buy product for flavorings. I was just looking through the TFA site. I recall something in there talking about the place they get their product for their flavorings. I cannot find it now! But, does that make sense?

That's the way I understand it. We use the flavoring as ingredients but the companies that make the flavorings also use suppliers to get the ingredients to make the flavorings. As far as I know, those are the flavoring extract companies that supply the ingredients to make the e-juice flavorings.

It's a chain and this FEMA group is at the beginning of the chain.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep, exactly what I meant. I wish I could find that thing on TFA that I saw last week. It was part of a different bit of their MSDS, but it did mention their supplier, just not by name.

Frustrating. I'm glad you understood what I was saying, lol.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association
more or less the reason behind the letter
 E-cigarette and flavor manufacturers and marketers should not represent or suggest that the flavor ingredients used in e-cigarettes are safe because they have FEMA GRASTM status for use in food because such statements are false and misleading.
 E-cigarette manufacturers and marketers should take appropriate action to assure the safety of flavor ingredients used in e-cigarettes. FEMA GRASTM status for the use of flavor ingredients in food does not mean that FEMA GRASTM flavor ingredients are safe for use in e-cigarettes.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see motherfucking lorilard and rj renolds on it.
Nuff fucking said a trade group with those two needs to be disregarded.. both of those motherfucking companies have taken gras and made it into one of the most toxic things on the planet.
FUCK FEMA.
so is Philip Morris Products SA

If they can't ban/tax out of existance the products that threaten them outright...they will go after it in other ways

Think.. AR15's > bullets

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well if it affects the B2B sales, then ultimately it will affect B2C sales. If eCigxpress, Heartland, Wizard Labs, etc can't buy in bulk, they won't be able to sell to us DIY'ers.

Just means buying direct from the manufacturers website instead (if they have one).

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"FDA published proposed regulations to deem e-cigarettes as tobacco products." They FEMA refer to something that isn't law yet to scare the flavor manufactures to not supply their products to certain groups. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
so is Philip Morris Products SA

If they can't ban/tax out of existance the products that threaten them outright...they will go after it in other ways

Think.. AR15's > bullets
I stacked my defense pile deep..
Kept the common stuff the JBT and stazi goon will have... much easier pilfering a corpse than neckbearding walmart ammo.

VU Sponsors