Become a Patron!

Figuring out what is equivalent between vaping and a cig (nicotine)

Badfrog

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I swear I've looked for this info but never really could get a straight or reliable answer. Do any of you folks have a good answer as to how much juice (I realize this will depend on how much nic is added) is equivalent to a cigarette or pack of cigarettes?

I would just like to get to a point where my vape usage is similar to what I had done with cigarettes. I used to smoke 7 packs a week. I initially started out slow with vaping but now I've let it get out of control (or at least I think that I have) to the point that I use 120mls of juice per week at 3mg nicotine strength. Because it's no big deal to do it inside, I just started vaping constantly whereas with cigs I would generally go have one every hour. But I don't really know if 120ml @ 3mg of nic is equivalent to 7 pack so of cigs.

Reactions: kh1

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I swear I've looked for this info but never really could get a straight or reliable answer. Do any of you folks have a good answer as to how much juice (I realize this will depend on how much nic is added) is equivalent to a cigarette or pack of cigarettes?

I would just like to get to a point where my vape usage is similar to what I had done with cigarettes. I used to smoke 7 packs a week. I initially started out slow with vaping but now I've let it get out of control (or at least I think that I have) to the point that I use 120mls of juice per week at 3mg nicotine strength. Because it's no big deal to do it inside, I just started vaping constantly whereas with cigs I would generally go have one every hour. But I don't really know if 120ml @ 3mg of nic is equivalent to 7 pack so of cigs.
what tank are you using what wattage what OHM COIL generally the lower the ohm the more nicotine is atomized

Badfrog

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Geez, I didn't realize that those would also be factors. I'm using a Cleito 120 tank which is .16 ohms and I typically run it at 75 watts

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Geez, I didn't realize that those would also be factors. I'm using a Cleito 120 tank which is .16 ohms and I typically run it at 75 watts
you are getting the same nic level or a close approximation right there with cigs their is no direct exact measure you will have to guage it over time what is your current Nic level

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
As far as I know, there is really no way to quantify an answer to the question. Don''t worry about it. If you are getting enough vape/nicotine to satisfy you, then all is well. If not, vape more or up the nicotine (which might require you to go to a higher ohm coil). Don't overthink this stuff. Find your sweet spot and enjoy it.

kh1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting discussion

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

All the many factors are why it's so hard to draw any sort of equivalence -- it can vary so much from device to person to how you hold your head or something. I smoked for 39 yrs, but was able to switch to vaping using 6mg in a cigalike!

Andria

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
A lot of people will vape more than they smoked cigarettes. One major factor is the fact that the nicotine molecules from a cigarette have been engineered into crack nicotine down to 7 to 8 nanometers in size, where the nicotine in the juices we use are at the natural 15nm molecule size, so already the numbers get scewed right there, comparing apples to oranges at the molecular level. What type of cigs you used, how many a day, and how long you smoked plays another part of the equation, how much of the actual nicotine in the cig was absorbed and not combusted to useless or wasted in the body. Then you add in the vaping end variables, device, atomizer, resistance, wattage used, nicotine strength of the liquids being used.

Given all the variables in those equations you could figure out in the math of the whole crux of the matter, but in the end, it is your body and brain that ultimately tell you if you are getting enough or not. You also have to take into account with vaping you take a few hits until your brain catches on your nicotine level has reached sufficient level and set it aside for a few more moments, where with a cig it was once lit it was finish or waste it getting big overdoses in a 5minute burst. Vaping you actually "Technically" get less nicotine than with cigs, just enough to sustain levels to keep brain and body happy. The math though is just way to difficult to quantify, especially when you have variables like with a cig, 1 drop of pure nicotine can be extracted from a single cig, that single drop has such a high nicotine concentration to stop your heart, at about the level of 100mg, "But" during combustion of the cig you lose about 48 to 52% (48 to 52mg) due to heat and loss the body doesn't absorb, the remainder that does enter the body to be absorbed you lose up toward another 50% not being absorbed.

Each person's body absorbs nicotine differently, those types of variables can't really be quantified, the figure is moot to your average person unless they are doing a thesis or research paper.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A lot of people will vape more than they smoked cigarettes. One major factor is the fact that the nicotine molecules from a cigarette have been engineered into crack nicotine down to 7 to 8 nanometers in size, where the nicotine in the juices we use are at the natural 15nm molecule size, so already the numbers get scewed right there, comparing apples to oranges at the molecular level. What type of cigs you used, how many a day, and how long you smoked plays another part of the equation, how much of the actual nicotine in the cig was absorbed and not combusted to useless or wasted in the body. Then you add in the vaping end variables, device, atomizer, resistance, wattage used, nicotine strength of the liquids being used.

Given all the variables in those equations you could figure out in the math of the whole crux of the matter, but in the end, it is your body and brain that ultimately tell you if you are getting enough or not. You also have to take into account with vaping you take a few hits until your brain catches on your nicotine level has reached sufficient level and set it aside for a few more moments, where with a cig it was once lit it was finish or waste it getting big overdoses in a 5minute burst. Vaping you actually "Technically" get less nicotine than with cigs, just enough to sustain levels to keep brain and body happy. The math though is just way to difficult to quantify, especially when you have variables like with a cig, 1 drop of pure nicotine can be extracted from a single cig, that single drop has such a high nicotine concentration to stop your heart, at about the level of 100mg, "But" during combustion of the cig you lose about 48 to 52% (48 to 52mg) due to heat and loss the body doesn't absorb, the remainder that does enter the body to be absorbed you lose up toward another 50% not being absorbed.

Each person's body absorbs nicotine differently, those types of variables can't really be quantified, the figure is moot to your average person unless they are doing a thesis or research paper.

And that thing about it taking longer for your body to absorb the nicotine, that got me in trouble at first, when I was trying 18mg and 12mg; mucho nausea! That's why I had to step it down to 6mg, when you figure how I was basically vaping every waking minute, trying to not smoke. Once i calmed down a little, I was able to get up to 10mg, but never did need to go higher, and now down to 3mg.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you aren't getting sick, and you aren't craving, you are fine. So you only need to know how many mg of nicotine you need to have in your ejuice to keep you from wanting to smoke.
Now as to the amount of nicotine, there is a bit of an issue. As mentioned, vape mist is much larger than cigarette smoke particles, so the smoke penetrates more. So even though you get a bigger cloud from vaping, you don't get all the nicotine from every puff. However, I have studied a bit on vape vs cigarettes, and a rule of thumb is, you have aprox 6 times the amount of nicotine in your blood from smoking as you do from vaping. (pack a day cigs vs 4ml of 12mg ejuice.)
Either way, if you aren't getting sick or craving smokes, don't worry about it. Nicotine in its chemical form (not what is in tobacco, which has additives) is about as addictive as caffeine and less harmful side effects. Nicotine has been portrayed as a demon drug by anti smoking groups, they forgot the main thing... it isn't the nicotine that is the issue, it is the other 400+ carcinogens and 4000 plus other chemicals in tobacco smoke that kill people. Simple terms, it's the smoke that kills you, the nicotine just keeps you dependent and the added chemicals in tobacco greatly enhance this effect. Now, mind you, the more you reduce nicotine as you vape, over time, the easier it is going to be to just stop, if you choose to.
See..
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/nicotine-side-effects.html
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/caffeine-side-effects.html

VU Sponsors