Become a Patron!

Filtering your DIY NETs

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As NETs are usually so stinkin' expensive, I started doing my own using the crock pot extraction method. First filtering is done with a French Press, then I run it through a funnel with cotton packed at the tip, held inside by a mesh bound with a rubber band. Nothing really scientific, but it works pretty well for me.

Just wondering what you guys do in the way of filtering this sort of extract.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As NETs are usually so stinkin' expensive, I started doing my own using the crock pot extraction method. First filtering is done with a French Press, then I run it through a funnel with cotton packed at the tip, held inside by a mesh bound with a rubber band. Nothing really scientific, but it works pretty well for me.

I cold macerate in PG and then let it drip through a plain coffee filter.

So simple the toughest part is deciding how much to use in the next mix.

Ron
---
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all."- David Livingstone

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

yeah you can get what are called Lab filters the ones I use go down to 2.5 microns, but I've seen them at 1.5 microns as well. another thing I kind of like was using what is called white clay and then filter down to 2.5 microns...white clay or benzenitte is what wine makers use to clarify wine.

Im not sure if youre talking about diy concentrate extractions, but for my coffee extract i use tea bag paper as a filter. I like to simply pull in the raw juice into a syringe, then hold tea bag doubled over across the nozzle and push the pg through. Works like a charm, and fast too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow...I almost think I'm doing extreme filtering. It takes my raw extract a good 24H to filter through (about 5-6 oz.)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow...I almost think I'm doing extreme filtering. It takes my raw extract a good 24H to filter through (about 5-6 oz.)
how do you filter......If you extract in VG it can take a long time to filter, I would extract in PG.do my first filtering with coffee filters and do my second filtering with 2.5 micron lab filters...the lab filtering I'd leave overnight to filter through...

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I extract 50/50, using crockpot method (heat 8H, cool 16H x 3 day cycle)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I extract 50/50, using crockpot method (heat 8H, cool 16H x 3 day cycle)
I kind of like the extract you get off of VG exractions, but it does take a bit longer to filter...it kind of gives a more subduded taste but the flavor is more rounded.I think I prefer the more prodounced taste I get off of heat assisted PG extractions.

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I kind of like the extract you get off of VG exractions, but it does take a bit longer to filter...it kind of gives a more subduded taste but the flavor is more rounded.I think I prefer the more prodounced taste I get off of heat assisted PG extractions.

I agree with that! The tobacco taste is full on with 50/50, but without the "bite" (for lack of a better term)

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've also added some caramel flavoring to some bottles to get a pretty darned close RY4 taste. The people I've given sample bottles to seem to enjoy it immensely.

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I cold macerate in PG and then let it drip through a plain coffee filter.

So simple the toughest part is deciding how much to use in the next mix.

Ron
---
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all."- David Livingstone

How long do you seep the tobacco in the cold process?

Last edited:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How long do you seep the tobacco in the cold process?

I've read that some folks say it should be 7 Days. I've also read that some say it should be at least a month.

Me? I do it when I remember to. Mostly around 3-6 weeks. At normal room temps., I have let one batch go 3 months with no ill effects I could discern. I usually steep with 100% PG and then pop the result in the fridge.

Ron
---
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."- Albert Einstein

yeah you can get what are called Lab filters the ones I use go down to 2.5 microns, but I've seen them at 1.5 microns as well. another thing I kind of like was using what is called white clay and then filter down to 2.5 microns...white clay or benzenitte is what wine makers use to clarify wine.

neither a search for "white clay" nor "benzenitte" yeilds any obvious product and very little information.

VU Sponsors