Finally someone else with my ejuice allergy and verified by doctors

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50377256

From the article.
A teenage boy nearly died after vaping caused a catastrophic reaction in his lungs, doctors in Nottingham say.
Is vaping to blame?
His doctors say the answer is yes.

Ewan developed a condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis - something he was breathing in was setting off his immune system, with catastrophic consequences.

"You get an over-exuberant inflammatory response and the lungs pay a price and develop respiratory failure," Dr Bhatt said.

One of the most common forms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis is "bird fancier's lung", which is caused by particles from feathers or bird droppings.

When scientists tested the two e-cigarette liquids Ewan had been using, they found one of them was triggering an immune reaction.

Just like peanuts vaping in standard for is not for everyone.

----------------------
From me.

This is why I went very quickly to DIY.

Some ingredient(s) in ejuice cause me severe oral, throat and lung irritation. And total loss of taste for a couple of days. This after maybe vaping 2 ml of juice.

Had I not found 1 tobacco flavored ejuice that I could vape I would have gone back to 40 years of smoking.

I have posted about this over the years but no one seemed to care.

It is a thing, rare maybe but a thing.

I learned early on that if my lips tingled after a few hits that it was bad news.

I would up tossing over 80% of the flavors I tried over the years. Fruity flavors seemed to be the worst.

I have no other known allergies. Heck I am not even allergic to poison ivy.

If you have the same ejuice allergy that I do you will quickly figure it out.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is interesting! I'm happy to hear you figured it out and found replacements that worked for you.
Thanks I was going back to smoking but picked up a tobacco flavored ejuice at a tobacco shop that worked. Decided one last try.
The filled cartos that came with the cigalike kit were tobacco and caused me no problems, but they just lasted till I was off of smokes. So I got some empty cartos and some flavored ejuice and then the problems began. Had I not backed off on vaping I would have been in the hospital.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

perhaps you should try to contact them. i am sure they would be interested.

i know you had that issue. but let me say this : "i do hearby decree the recognitions of Sir Croms avoided vape demise '
hows that ? its all i got. wadgaa think i'm MMM or somethin ......
:D

now, let me ask you, what vape health issue do i have ?o_O

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
perhaps you should try to contact them. i am sure they would be interested.

i know you had that issue. but let me say this : "i do hearby decree the recognitions of Sir Croms avoided vape demise '
hows that ? its all i got. wadgaa think i'm MMM or somethin ......
:D

now, let me ask you, what vape health issue do i have ?o_O
I dunno let me think a minute I used to watch doctor shows :)

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks I was going back to smoking but picked up a tobacco flavored ejuice at a tobacco shop that worked. Decided one last try.
The filled cartos that came with the cigalike kit were tobacco and caused me no problems, but they just lasted till I was off of smokes. So I got some empty cartos and some flavored ejuice and then the problems began. Had I not backed off on vaping I would have been in the hospital.
My wife was never able to vape, she said it took her breath away as well. She has asthma and would rather smoke than vape, it made her lungs burn as she would put it. I told her I'll quit vaping if she stops smoking, we're both getting older and bad habits are just going to have to start going away... I don't really want to quit vaping but if it gets her to.quit smoking, well that's worth everything to me!

Scary how things effect everyone different!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

From the article.
A teenage boy nearly died after vaping caused a catastrophic reaction in his lungs, doctors in Nottingham say.
Is vaping to blame?

Ewan developed a condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis - something he was breathing in was setting off his immune system, with catastrophic consequences.

"You get an over-exuberant inflammatory response and the lungs pay a price and develop respiratory failure," Dr Bhatt said.

One of the most common forms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis is "bird fancier's lung", which is caused by particles from feathers or bird droppings.

When scientists tested the two e-cigarette liquids Ewan had been using, they found one of them was triggering an immune reaction.

----------------------
From me.

Some ingredient(s) in ejuice cause me severe oral, throat and lung irritation. And total loss of taste for a couple of days. This after maybe vaping 2 ml of juice.

Had I not found 1 tobacco flavored ejuice that I could vape I would have gone back to 40 years of smoking.

I learned early on that if my lips tingled after a few hits that it was bad news.

I would up tossing over 80% of the flavors I tried over the years. Fruity flavors seemed to be the worst.

Really happy to hear that you figured things out and didn't go back to smoking Cromwell :cool:

Hearing that this can happen doesn't surprise me. I've been a weekend woodworker for a while and over the years I've done a bunch of research on doing it safely. One of the things I've learned is that for some people inhaling saw dust can over time can initiate this kind of serious allergic lung reaction. I've also worked with super glues and other nasty chemicals which can do the same. I've been lucky that nothing has affected me so far, but I'm always aware of the risk and do what I can within reason to limit my exposure. This is also one reason I prefer to vape at lower power and use less juice per day. Just because I've been immune so far, I still don't take it for granted.

Ya, that's debatable. Some people do and some just don't. It takes enough common sense and ability to troubleshoot things to make people successful at this stuff. I think threads like this one help educate everyone about less known vaping issues and how to figure things out. Kudos to you for doing this :cheers:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This type of shit happens to people.
I've heard of all kinds of different ailments over the years.

I'm talking about people I believed.

Some are normal side effects of cigarette withdrawal at the beginning of the switch
then there is all the PG related stuff. dry mouth, sore throat, etc...
all kinds of different reactions to certain flavorings
Nickel allergies,
PG/VG sensitivity
I've heard of sensitivity to the non palm oil VG
Sensitivity to certain brands of nic.

The sad part many "doctors" would simply say "just quit vaping" thinking that's a reasonable response.
They don't care to learn about the differences in vaping.

That's good that this information is out there to see for the doctors of the world that aren't too lazy to do a google search.

This is why vape shops (with competent employees) are so important to getting people to switch from cigarettes.
People who know about these types of conditions and can help narrow it down to something.
The silent majority of vapers are people who's entire vape life consists of going to the vape shop or convenience store to buy juice and coils or pods every week or two.

Places like forums, vaping related facebook groups, etc... are very helpful for this too but only the hardcore vapers tend to frequent these places.
People who are really into vaping, like the people reading this.
You all are like vaping connoisseurs

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The silent majority of vapers are people who's entire vape life consists of going to the vape shop or convenience store to buy juice and coils or pods every week or two.
Sad but true and most of them are not even current on any pending Regulations and would most likely go back to smoking if they could no longer vape. if only we could convert them into an active voice.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

From the article.
Is vaping to blame?

----------------------
From me.

@Jimi has an article about what’s really in natural and artificial flavors. It applies to e liquids too.

I’ve noticed too that tobacco flavors don’t set me off either. I thought it was just me. What tobacco flavors are you using, Cromwell?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My wife was never able to vape, she said it took her breath away as well. She has asthma and would rather smoke than vape, it made her lungs burn as she would put it. I told her I'll quit vaping if she stops smoking, we're both getting older and bad habits are just going to have to start going away... I don't really want to quit vaping but if it gets her to.quit smoking, well that's worth everything to me!

What flavors was she vaping? And what ratio VG/PG?

It could be that what folks think is PG or VG sensitivity is really flavor sensitivity. Or a combination of those things!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Jimi has an article about what’s really in natural and artificial flavors. It applies to e liquids too.

I’ve noticed too that tobacco flavors don’t set me off either. I thought it was just me. What tobacco flavors are you using, Cromwell?
The one that saved me was Buck Naked brand American Tobacco if I remember correctly.
Only one I do now is Cromwell's Camel made primarily from Hangsen Desert Ship flavoring.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
This type of shit happens to people.
I've heard of all kinds of different ailments over the years.

I'm talking about people I believed.

Some are normal side effects of cigarette withdrawal at the beginning of the switch
then there is all the PG related stuff. dry mouth, sore throat, etc...
all kinds of different reactions to certain flavorings
Nickel allergies,
PG/VG sensitivity
I've heard of sensitivity to the non palm oil VG
Sensitivity to certain brands of nic.

The sad part many "doctors" would simply say "just quit vaping" thinking that's a reasonable response.
They don't care to learn about the differences in vaping.

That's good that this information is out there to see for the doctors of the world that aren't too lazy to do a google search.

This is why vape shops (with competent employees) are so important to getting people to switch from cigarettes.
People who know about these types of conditions and can help narrow it down to something.

Places like forums, vaping related facebook groups, etc... are very helpful for this too but only the hardcore vapers tend to frequent these places.
People who are really into vaping, like the people reading this.
You all are like vaping connoisseurs

There’s the silent majority of people going to vape shops, and even people vaping Juuls and pods. I mean those people are vaping plastic tanks, and plastic has a tendency to leach into things. There’s so many things that can affect us.

Really good comment though, Sick.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Was she vaping fruity flavors?
Did she try a tobacco flavor?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The one that saved me was Buck Naked brand American Tobacco if I remember correctly.
Only one I do now is Cromwell's Camel made primarily from Hangsen Desert Ship flavoring.

Wow, I would really like to try your Camel juice. I kinda thought the tobacco liquid thing was in my head at first. Plus, with the flavor bans, it seemed unpopular to be interested in tobacco flavors!

But it’s not imaginary. My lungs were upset and hurting, and I was coughing, and I realized I had to stop vaping the new flavors of juice I’d bought. I went back to Gothic Vapor’s tobacco flavors and I was feeling better. Like immediately!
When I realized that the Palm VG also made me feel better, I realized that I can’t vape any juice I want to.

Hey, Cromwell. It’s so cold here today. Stay warm!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Was she vaping fruity flavors?
Did she try a tobacco flavor?

Yuch, I mixed up a custard (one shot, not yours!) and added raspberry. Whoa, I was coughing like mad from it. Fooey.

@Jimi’s article mentions raspberry and other berry sensitivity.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Hmm, my birthday is next week and Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up! Hint hint. Very subtle, I know! LoL

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yuch, I mixed up a custard (one shot, not yours!) and added raspberry. Whoa, I was coughing like mad from it. Fooey.

@Jimi’s article mentions raspberry and other berry sensitivity.
Yep Raspberry is horrible to me. Most fruits and berries are.
However I tried some in coffee and no issues.
So I am not generally allergic to it just when inhaled.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep Raspberry is horrible to me. Most fruits and berries are.
However I tried some in coffee and no issues.
So I am not generally allergic to it just when inhaled.

Me too, I like raspberry in chocolate or even ice cream. I also put a few drops of the flavor I had in coffee and it was fine. But vape it and I feel horrible.

I’m glad you brought all of this up. I was getting worried because I was having breathing problems for a while.

When I cut down PG and I still had chest pain, I was really wondering wth was going on.
Then I switched flavors to mostly tobacco and it went away. Phew.

VU Sponsors