Finding the problem when your DIY tastes BAD

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - General Discussion' started by HeadInClouds, May 30, 2015.

1. Cowboy_Rich

Cowboy_Rich New Member

Blog Posts:
    Totally sorry all. Work is ridiculous and every time I think of this thread something else pops into my browser.

I appreciate all the responses.

Yes, all Bavarian Cream. The boost is for max VG mixes where they add an additional 50% of the flavor mix.
    ----

I think that is where I am going to start with a new batch. I took this current one and mixed it with a suicide - it's vapeable now.

I was told it was from FW which is why the 15%. I think my next flavor order will be from Wizard Labs.
    -

I have heard that creams need about a month to develop, but with this flavor from this vendor I always shake and vape right from the box. The juice is made the same day it ships and typically receives a 3 day "mail steep".

I'm a dessert guy, but I don't like a mouthful or a diabetic coma, ya know? Birthday and "Unicorn" Cakes are usually too sweet/rich to be an ADV.

It looks like the consensus is that I just have waaaaay to much flavoring at this point and I should start with 5% and see how it works out.

Now, what if a recipe calls for like 3% of four different flavors? Wouldn't that be too much or is it just that certain flavors are more potent and less is needed?

Thanks all!

Btw, FW cheesecake, 15% = gross. 10% is still strong so I think 3-5% is going to be the sweet spot. I guess everyone, or almost everyone, learns the hard way. ;-)

Ablonz and kross8 like this.
  2. SteveS45

SteveS45 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    The more flavors I add the more careful I am about over seasoning so to speak. Some flavors will dominate the flavor if you use too much. Like Pineapple is sweet and wonderful alone but mix it too much and it can kill a nice mix or just taste only pineapple. I have started experimenting with mixing in my tank for off the cuff ideas. If i don't like it I wash out my tank and start again at worst I waste an ML or two.

Cowboy_Rich likes this.
  3. Cowboy_Rich

Cowboy_Rich New Member

Blog Posts:
    I've got a whole spreadsheet ready to go with ideas and mixes, but don't want to jump in until I understand it.

I bought a DIY bundle from a local shop to get me started and I have a feeling that I will end up tossing most of it and starting with fresh goods.

4. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to really understand it, until you actually mix a few things, or more than a few, and see what they taste like to you -- everyone told me 2% or 4% on shisha strawberry, but 4% I could barely taste, and 8% just tasted "thin" -- when I bumped it to 16% plus 15% of creams and vanillas, FINALLY it was vapable.

Andria

Cowboy_Rich likes this.
  5. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Don't toss it keep it for when for when you get your groove on. One A-Hole on ECF insists there are things you will never use in the Liquid Barn Kit. The only thing I may never use is the mixing mat because I use the PC for my recipes.

Cowboy_Rich likes this.
  6. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Every time I total up the bottles next to me here I laugh because I now have 25 bottles when I was not that high the last time I posted the amount. Still none washed down the drain!

Ablonz and Cowboy_Rich like this.
  7. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Here is another benefit of DIY. I was vaping Orange Banana all afternoon and got tired of it so I filled my tank with half of a Peachy Honeydew and now am vaping a Dewy Peach Orange Banana. Something I might never reproduce but was my whim at the moment. 2 good Flavors I made that just became my Mood Mix.

[​IMG]

Vapin-Dave and Cowboy_Rich like this.
  8. Cowboy_Rich

Cowboy_Rich New Member

Blog Posts:
    I just realized I have totally hijacked this thread.

Sorry OP, didn't mean too!

SteveS45 likes this.
  9. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you have to worry I don't think the OP has been back since June? Start a new thread if you want!

Jimmy1life and Cowboy_Rich like this.
  10. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    The OP was on today, but he mostly posts in his store thread. His main focus is to help new mixers, so I have no doubt he'd be ok with it.

Jimmy1life and Cowboy_Rich like this.
  11. Ablonz

Ablonz Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    As you can see from above post from Andria, people and their palate are totally different. Taste is subjective. I use the max of 3% of any one flavor. The total in my juices range from .5%-11.5% total flavoring @ 30pg/70vg mix. I ALWAYS recommend to start low and adjust higher if needed. Sometimes with flavoring, less is more. It is always easier to add flavoring than it is to take it out. As far as myself and Bavarian Cream, I would do as stand alone 3% Bavarian Cream with .5% Sweetner. Shake and vape (test) right away. Test again the next day, 3 days, then after a week. Then you will have an understanding of what the flavor will do with time. Desserts, I would also recommend testing again at 2 weeks, 3 weeks and finally 4 weeks. Oh, and by the way, with Bavarian Cream, it is best tasting using max air flow with my experience. Hope this helps.

Cowboy_Rich and Heabob like this.
  12. Heabob

Heabob Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    3% of 4 different types of flavors is not unusual.
    Or even 4 different fruits mixed together for that matter.
    But 4 different Blueberries combined at 12% would be way too much IMO, but 6% would be reasonable, although still to high for me anyway.

If all four are Vanillas (12% total Vanillas or Creams), I'd say yes it's too much, 1-2% for each would be better.
    Unless your trying to make a Vanilla Ice Cream base maybe.
    Because if 1 or 2 are Vanilla Custard and/or Vanilla Bean Ice Cream that theory kinda goes out the window.
    And yes, much also depends on the brands & flavors being mixed, which is why you have to "learn all your flavors".
    For flavors that are used sometimes for spices/backnotes/sweetness you really don't want more than 0.5-1%.
    Such as:
    0.5% FA Raspberry
    0.5% FA Pineapple
    0.5-1% FA Black Cherry
    0.5% FA Coconut
    0.5-1% FA Marshmallow
    0.5-1% FE Lemon

Not really meant to be tasted in a mix, but used as "helpers".

13. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    This is what I meant about not truly understanding this stuff until you actually mix, at least a little, and usually a lot -- you have to actually taste various mixes, various brands, various flavors, to know just what mix/brand/flavor suits your own tastebuds.

I use a lot of flavoring, a great deal more than most I've talked to about DIY... but I couldn't do that if I hadn't tried some mixes, and figured out what suited me. I still will start off a new mix at pretty low percentages -- to give me an idea how strong those particular flavors are; I don't want to waste flavoring or the other ingredients -- as many have pointed out, it's easy to add more flavor if you need it, but impossible to take it out once it's in there.

The learning is in the doing.

Andria

14. Cowboy_Rich

Cowboy_Rich New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow. So much to it.

My head hath exploded.

Thanks all, very much. Going to try some new batches at lower flavor %'s.

Huckleberried and Ablonz like this.
  15. CharlesKeene

CharlesKeene New Member

Blog Posts:
  16. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
  17. Heabob

Blog Posts:
    Clones are tough to replicate IMO.
    The Jam part should be easy, Strawberry? or Grape?
    Probably could also get some Butter in there too.
    But the Toast part, not even a clue...

18. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    Just don't use FA Bread Crust. At least not full strength. Even diluted it's scary.

Jimmy1life, HeadInClouds and Heabob like this.
  19. Heabob

Blog Posts:
    Lol, notice I didn't mention that one, but I did think about it for a moment.

Huckleberried likes this.
  20. Jimmy1life

Jimmy1life New Member

Blog Posts:
    Good info i tried my pg by itself so bitter nasty I to had pull wick and yes i even tried few drops from the fresh sealed gal yuck wasnt usp i think dont. Dosnt say but its for animals better hit up essential depot last time that pg had no taste at all was awesome except like a 20$ shipping fee but lately everythings been kinda bland good to check stuff every once in awhile. This ag pg was given to me no good. Does Pg from Tractor supply taste ok is it vapeable? For moment possibly start tryn distilled water at 1% or max vg but the fog its to thick lol.
    Would water almost mute flavors? Just asking because i always read pg is a flavor carrier. I kno straight vg does kindatake a lil more.

21. Heabob

Blog Posts:
    It's all I've been using for 2 years and haven't had any problems yet.

Jimmy1life likes this.
  22. Jimmy1life

Jimmy1life New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sweet thats one ive yet to try. Il have to stop in TSC and grab that pg and few other people said same that its ok. Not knocking others but beats paying even extra for shipping.

Heabob likes this.
  23. Heabob

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention I'm also using a 70PG/30VG ratio...

Jimmy1life likes this.
  24. Jimmy1life

Jimmy1life New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sweet bud I got my hands on another gal of pg this is kosher grade usp. First thing i did was drip 8 drops into my rda test it surprisingly its very good and sweet to the taste now I'm pumped lol. I like the pg to cut the linger of fog down. Alright guys take care.

Heabob, Ablonz and Huckleberried like this.
  25. Wylde_77

Wylde_77 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Anyone know why my juice is kinda harsh? It's the same nic I vape and I vape 3mg I made 120ml bottles and added 3.6 ml of nicotine. But it's a bit harsh. I know I got all the measurements right.. maybe it needs to steep or ? Idk maybe next time I'll only add 3ml instead of 3.6ml of nic? Anyone else have this problem?

26. PuffPuffPass

PuffPuffPass Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Are you keeping your nic mixed, (gently) before you add to a new batch? It can separate from the PG or VG base if it sets for a long period.

Wylde_77 likes this.
  27. Wylde_77

Blog Posts:
    If u mean shake I always shake before I vape

28. Wylde_77

Blog Posts:
    And yes I shake the base first

29. PuffPuffPass

PuffPuffPass Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Your nic, before you mix ;)

Wylde_77 likes this.
  30. Wylde_77

Blog Posts:
    Yes

31. Wylde_77

Blog Posts:
    And it's VG base

32. Jimmy1life

Jimmy1life New Member

Blog Posts:
    Did you do 70vg 30pg????

33. Wylde_77

Blog Posts:
    80/20

Jimmy1life likes this.
  34. Wylde_77

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking I didn't shake the base enough

35. terminator

terminator New Member

Blog Posts:
    When should the flavour strength be tested because I made a tiramius flavour arts standalone at 3.5% in vg/pg 70/30 3mg nic it was okay when I first made it but after few days of steeping it became too harsh???
    And if I make a small batch with lowest flavour percentage can I add more flavour in the same batch or have to make again.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

36. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    IME, more than 1% isn't necessary. It's a strong flavoring.

And, yes, you could add more, if that doesn't work out for you.

gopher_byrd and terminator like this.
  37. Ablonz

Ablonz Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I would probably drop it to 1.5% and go from there. To me that sounds like too much flavoring causing it to be harsh.

terminator likes this.