Become a Patron!

FIrst Dual Velocity RDTA - HOT and Leaking

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Hi

It is my first ever RDTA - Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme RDTA V2. And My first dual velocity coil built.

I used UD Clampton prebuilt coils (one thing at the time), coils did not touch the sides, wicked with Japanese Organic Cotton, closed air holes, primed and tried.

RDTA became very hot to touch very fast and leaked all over - where is the problem. Since my mod did not show any warnings, there is no short, what else? 0.22 Ohm at 50 watt, VTC5a, single regulated mod.

Is it OK for coils to touch velocity polls?
Wicking part looks OK, maybe to much weak under the coils.

What could be wrong?

Any help appreciated.

P.S.

I did not expected it would be easy.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it is an RDTA. Tried the Serpent RDTA.
Decided it did not vape any better than much else I have and I got out of the habit of tilting my mod to get the wicks wet with the Stardust clearos.
PITA to clean as well.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi

It is my first ever RDTA - Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme RDTA V2. And My first dual velocity coil built.

I used UD Clampton prebuilt coils (one thing at the time), coils did not touch the sides, wicked with Japanese Organic Cotton, closed air holes, primed and tried.

RDTA became very hot to touch very fast and leaked all over - where is the problem. Since my mod did not show any warnings, there is no short, what else? 0.22 Ohm at 50 watt, VTC5a, single regulated mod.

What could be wrong?

Any help appreciated.

P.S.

Sounds like you didn't use enough cotton. Lay you wicks on the deck. Don't poke them in. They should barely touch each other under the coil while laying on the deck.

Just to be clear, are we talking about the Aromamizer Supreme V2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi

What could be wrong?

Any help appreciated.

P.S.

1st off, those coils are way too much metal for a single battery 50 watt device. Maybe you can power a single coil, but running 2 big coils like that is too much.

A few things that could really help would be what mod and pics of your build. You can take the build out without emptying the tank. just turn it upside down close the JFC then unscrew the bottom and take out the deck and snap some pics

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you didn't use enough cotton. Lay you wicks on the deck. Don't poke them in. They should barely touch each other under the coil while laying on the deck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thanks

I actually have too much cotton, it was packed very well under the coils (and I made cotton fluffy first, not just put bacon in the coil).

So, too much cotton will result in leaking or overheating?

it is an RDTA. Tried the Serpent RDTA.
Decided it did not vape any better than much else I have and I got out of the habit of tilting my mod to get the wicks wet with the Stardust clearos.
PITA to clean as well.

I actually have Serpent 25mm RDTA in the mail, coming soon. I am hunting for vapor flavor and single coil, and fool proof to some degree.

Steam Crave should have attempted second, after Serpent (simpler). Oh well.

EDIT. Forgot to mention. UD coils are Stainless Steel 316L

Edit 2: Tied on 2 mods, first was on Eleaf Pico 25 (80 watt mod) @50 watt, second, I did not want to wet anything expensive, I used old Sigelei 50 watt at 25 watt, same problem

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Pictures as requested

WGdv5S8.jpg

Ea3sSUx.jpg

Another thing. Prior to placing wick I heated the coils, one side was glowing red and the other was lagging at least few seconds behind.

Also, Eleaf Ohm ranges from 0.1 and up and Sigelei is 0.2 and up. And I lied, I am using VTC4 in single setups, not VTC5a.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Pictures as requested

WGdv5S8.jpg

Ea3sSUx.jpg

Another thing. Prior to placing wick I heated the coils, one side was glowing red and the other was lagging at least few seconds behind.

Also, Eleaf Ohm ranges from 0.1 and up and Sigelei is 0.2 and up. And I lied, I am using VTC4 in single setups, not VTC5a.
well if they aren't glowing evenly that's kind of an issue. something isn't all the way tight or even. The build doesn't look too bad, but the cotton is too much. it shouldn't be stacked high enough to touch the coils on the bottom. I'd think out the leads a little and raise up the coils a little as well.

Also it's way too much metal for a single battery mod. That build just by looks should be somewhere in the 80-120 watt range. probably close to the 80 though. and it's going to be a warm build. What did you vape before this? The heat may be normal but you may not be used to it?

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
I am currently in the process of huge upgrades.

1 month ago I had only 2 Sigelei, 50 watt and 30 watt (Mini) with Subtank Plus and Mini, all from around 2014 or so.
My new mods (I have 2 of them and one more to come) are Eleaf Pico 25 (pocket size), Smok G Priv and Smoant Battlestar (in the mail).
New tanks - 2 TFV12, one Baby Beast TFV8, Serpent 25, Horison Duos, Sense Blazer PRO, and that one (problem one) it was crazy shopping spree, and I am moving to new eliquids as well, at the same time. Steam Crave was my first velocity build (others used with coils for now for juice and atomizer testing).
Never used velocity deck or dual coils before.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I am currently in the process of huge upgrades.

1 month ago I had only 2 Sigelei, 50 watt and 30 watt (Mini) with Subtank Plus and Mini, all from around 2014 or so.
My new mods (I have 2 of them and one more to come) are Eleaf Pico 25 (pocket size), Smok G Priv and Smoant Battlestar (in the mail).
New tanks - 2 TFV12, one Baby Beast TFV8, Serpent 25, Horison Duos, Sense Blazer PRO, and that one (problem one) it was crazy shopping spree, and I am moving to new eliquids as well, at the same time. Steam Crave was my first velocity build (others used with coils for now for juice and atomizer testing).
Never used velocity deck or dual coils before.
dam tons of good stuff there. congrats! The only 1 minor thing is the TFV12 with the T12 coil is gonna drain the battery form your mods pretty quick. it's really best with a dual or quad battery mod. outside of that sounds like you are set for a while :)

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
dam tons of good stuff there. congrats! The only 1 minor thing is the TFV12 with the T12 coil is gonna drain the battery form your mods pretty quick. it's really best with a dual or quad battery mod. outside of that sounds like you are set for a while :)
GPriv and Battlestar are dual battery mods and I am not planning running all of them on coils only, just in the beginning until I learn making velocity style dual coils.
My everyday vape would be still single coil, low wattage builds, as I really enjoy flavor quality, not clouds. Clouds will require either deep pocket or ejuice DIY, I don't have first and not enough free space for a second.
So far, running on coils only, Horison Duos is the worst one in clouds and flavor. You would be surprised, Eleaf Ello (came as a kit with Eleaf Pico 25) Subohm Tank is my cloud chaser and flavor was only equal so far, to my new (forgot to mention) Smok Spiral Plus, but Iam having problems with dry hit on that one, using coils, not RBA yet.

Still some questions remains.

Can coils touch velocity posts, or not. Maybe, that heating up the whole atomizer? Once tank is scorching hot, eliquid become thinner and leaks? Does this theory sounds correct?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
GPriv and Battlestar are dual battery mods and I am not planning running all of them on coils only, just in the beginning until I learn making velocity style dual coils.
My everyday vape would be still single coil, low wattage builds, as I really enjoy flavor quality, not clouds. Clouds will require either deep pocket or ejuice DIY, I don't have first and not enough free space for a second.
So far, running on coils only, Horison Duos is the worst one in clouds and flavor. You would be surprised, Eleaf Ello (came as a kit with Eleaf Pico 25) Subohm Tank is my cloud chaser and flavor was only equal so far, to my new (forgot to mention) Smok Spiral Plus, but Iam having problems with dry hit on that one, using coils, not RBA yet.

Still some questions remains.

Can coils touch velocity posts, or not. Maybe, that heating up the whole atomizer? Once tank is scorching hot, eliquid become thinner and leaks? Does this theory sounds correct?
Sorry i meant triple or quad battery mods. not dual. But yeah if you don't plan on using the top coisl and stick to the lightning coil or the RBA deck you should be good. just remember to close off the air a lot. the TFV12 only needs about 25% of the air it has most of the time

The eleaf ello is actually a pretty solid tank. i'm working on a review for it. i was suprised by it. Just wish it had a bigger capacity and the pico 25 cna't really push it. by about 75% battery your already SOL. I felt it best at 60-70 watts (more towards 70) personally.

for your questions

1) no the coils can't touch the post deck or anything metal
2) that shouldn't cause it to get hot
3) it'll thin out when hot but that won't cause leaks

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Sorry i meant triple or quad battery mods. not dual. But yeah if you don't plan on using the top coisl and stick to the lightning coil or the RBA deck you should be good. just remember to close off the air a lot. the TFV12 only needs about 25% of the air it has most of the time

The eleaf ello is actually a pretty solid tank. i'm working on a review for it. i was suprised by it. Just wish it had a bigger capacity and the pico 25 cna't really push it. by about 75% battery your already SOL. I felt it best at 60-70 watts (more towards 70) personally.
I wish that Ello had an equal RBA (to the coils in terms of flavor), that would be nice. I think power depends a lot on juice flavor, VG/PG and nicotine. I can vape my juices on any of my tanks freely, full MTL except Sensi Blazer PRO with coils (did not get to RBA yet), that one chokes me big time, only can use it by lowering power below 90 watt - 75VG/25PG strong Aplle tart juice with 12 mg.

for your questions

1) no the coils can't touch the post deck or anything metal - if coil touches the sides or deck, there would be short, but posts are actually conducting electricity, why not? I will rework it anyway.
2) that shouldn't cause it to get hot -The same principle, coil would warm up everything it touches, poles included. I just saw plenty YouTube videos where coil seems to be touching the polls, confused. UD coils are big for small decks and I am not there yet with building Clapton (I have Clapton wire rolls in the mail somewhere). And I don't have a drill (just a screwdriver) to make Claptons easy, later maybe.
3) it'll thin out when hot but that won't cause leaks
Thanks, will practice coils tomorrow in the morning, will update this post with my failures and, I hope, success as well.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks, will practice coils tomorrow in the morning, will update this post with my failures and, I hope, success as well.
Let me know. As far as coils touching the post it disrupts the circuit. It's a short. Some videos may look close but non will be actually touching. If it does touch most likely it'll just pop the coil

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Let me know. As far as coils touching the post it disrupts the circuit. It's a short. Some videos may look close but non will be actually touching. If it does touch most likely it'll just pop the coil

I just realized that you have YouTube channel and I actually watched a few of your videos as well, when was choosing my tanks.

Question. From fool proof mechanical stand point of view, which 4 cell regulated mods are the most reliable. I hear that Wismec still suffers from unreliable 510 pin connector, others not much better. It is difficult to choose one (I trust only Sigelei, since my two are still working like new, including 50 watt, which was dropped to the concrete floor from about 5 feet, body down, not even crack on the glass, also this one is soaked with juice and electronics are still fine). Any advice in this category? I am not planning to start TC any time soon, only after everything else is learned and easy to do.

Thanks.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I just realized that you have YouTube channel and I actually watched a few of your videos as well, when was choosing my tanks.

Question. From fool proof mechanical stand point of view, which 4 cell regulated mods are the most reliable. I hear that Wismec still suffers from unreliable 510 pin connector, others not much better. It is difficult to choose one (I trust only Sigelei, since my two are still working like new, including 50 watt, which was dropped to the concrete floor from about 5 feet, body down, not even crack on the glass, also this one is soaked with juice and electronics are still fine). Any advice in this category? I am not planning to start TC any time soon, only after everything else is learned and easy to do.

Thanks.
Nothing is failure proof but the snow wolf 365 is the best built one in my opinion. Then the gx350 then maxo and lastly rx300.

Also thanks for watching my vids. Appreciate it

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Another question Anthony, if you can.

Taking into consideration dual or single battery mods, which SS or Kanthal Clapton wire I can use, single core, or I can use something fancy like SS 26 x2 wrapped with SS 36, especially considering dual velocity deck?
I am far away from making my own Claptons, so I have to buy spool wire.
By the way, can you recommend any cheap, not Chinese Internet vendors for this. Lightning Vapes did not recover from fire yet (so far the cheapest) and My Vapor Store is out of stock. The rest rest are much more expensive..

Appreciate as always for your suggestions.

Edit. Stem Engine doesn't have Fused option, only parallel, is this the same, at least for calculating?

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Another question Anthony, if you can.

Taking into consideration dual or single battery mods, which SS or Kanthal Clapton wire I can use, single core, or I can use something fancy like SS 26 x2 wrapped with SS 36, especially considering dual velocity deck?
I am far away from making my own Claptons, so I have to buy spool wire.
By the way, can you recommend any cheap, not Chinese Internet vendors for this. Lightning Vapes did not recover from fire yet (so far the cheapest) and My Vapor Store is out of stock. The rest rest are much more expensive..

Appreciate as always for your suggestions.
I get all mine from advanced vape supply. Fantastic wire for the price. As far as what builds you can do it's all about the mass. The more metal in the coils the more watts u need to heat them

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
It was quick, thanks.

I just added a line, you most likely missed.

Steam Engine doesn't have Fused option, only parallel, is this the same, at least for calculating?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It was quick, thanks.

I just added a line, you most likely missed.

Steam Engine doesn't have Fused option, only parallel, is this the same, at least for calculating?
same thing. a fused clapton is just several wires running parallel.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Thanks
I just ordered Spooled Clapton Wire 316L SS 28g/36g / 100ft from Advanced Vape Supply to play with. It is not what I would prefer, but it is safer in the beginning to have higher resistance, I think.

UD coils are to large for Steam Crave (barely fit, and most likely touch something on the deck), I have to unwind them or make a new one. I think I can fit there about 5 wraps with wide wrap spacing (I usually do my coils over 3mm stainless steel metal screw).

Fused Clapton will have lower resistance, on the edge for my setup (especially for dual decks), it will be next, I am sure.

Thanks for your advice and vendor info.

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Another important question Anthony.

What is your trusted diagonal wire cutters. I have cheap ones coming from Fasttech and looking now for high quality ones, which can cut thicker fancy coils like parallel Clptons and such.

I don't mind to pay extra for quality. I was looking at WIHA (the rest of high quality brands are much more expensive), but there are so many of them that I got lost. And, many of them have some stand off, leaving some wire sticking out - not a flush ground cut.

Please share your tools.

Appreciate your input as always.

VU Sponsors