Become a Patron!

First hybrid top cap, just checking I am correct.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. My friend found me a great deal on a tugboat style mech, including RDA, for less than £5 on offer. It has gone back up to normal price now, but it was 77% off. Even just for the dripper it was worth it.

Am I right in thinking a standard battery can be used, but you MUST ensure that the atty you are using has at least 2MM of its screw out from the base?

I was not sure if its best to get a button top battery for it, or the batteries I have will be fine.

As I found that bargain, I also found a beautiful copper mod, called an angel, that is engraved on the fire button and body. That has a standard 510 Connection.

Here are the mods though if anyone was interested:

Tugboat with RDA:http://focalecig.com/Product/Tugboat-StyleMechanical-Mod-wRDA-AtomizerGreen-Dots-29995?SSAID=314743

Angel Copper mod: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2049504

I do prefer my regulated mods, but there is a certain charm I do like about mechs. I just want to ensure I am using safely as possible.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes,2mm is fine on the 510.
A good way to check your clearance is to remove the hybrid cap and screw it onto your atty. Check that the 510 pin protrudes past the 510 threading aswell as past the isolator. Also make sure that the 510 pin isn't able to be pushed into the 510 threading.

You want to use a flat top cell for hybrids as most have a delrin isolator ring and a button top could work it's way inside the isolator.

I'll get to your PM sooner or later ...;)
Cheers mate

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure the contact pin is screwed in all the way, and still protrudes out. Don't try to unscrew the contact pin to make it work.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes,2mm is fine on the 510.
A good way to check your clearance is to remove the hybrid cap and screw it onto your atty. Check that the 510 pin protrudes past the 510 threading aswell as past the isolator. Also make sure that the 510 pin isn't able to be pushed into the 510 threading.

You want to use a flat top cell for hybrids as most have a delrin isolator ring and a button top could work it's way inside the isolator.

I'll get to your PM sooner or later ...;)
Cheers mate
Ahh great, thanks man. I might sound dumb, but what is the Isolator? I want to ensure I am doing this safely.

Make sure the contact pin is screwed in all the way, and still protrudes out. Don't try to unscrew the contact pin to make it work.

So how much clearance would you recommend? Is there a reason you should not adjust the screw? I always gathered on 3 post attys thats exactly what the screw was for lol, but I could well be mistaken.

Coming from regulated to using mechs is different to me, I have also ordered a standard threaded Angel copper mod with standard connection, not direct to battery, but the hybrid top cap mod I am getting comes with the RDA for it, so I guess that should be the one I stick to using on it then?

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So how much clearance would you recommend? Is there a reason you should not adjust the screw? I always gathered on 3 post attys thats exactly what the screw was for lol, but I could well be mistaken.

No that's not what the center pin is for. At least not on 98% of the atty's I've seen. Most atty's like your tugboat, the positive center deck post is attached and held in place by screwing in the bottom contact pin. If you loosen the contact pin, then you will be loosening your center post.

Plus, if you think about it, what's an optimal electrical connection? Tight connection or loose connection?

As long as the contact pin is sticking out further than the negative side, you should be ok. A mm or two is fine. Try not to use any flat top battery that has a dent in the top like the battery in this picture. I have an Aeolus rda where the contact pin sticks way out, maybe 3mm or so. I'll use this dented battery for that, but nothing else. (we are talking hybrid style mods here) Hope that helps.

dented battery.jpg

My vape battery got dented my positive side and my mech his no longer firing due to tk the gap between hybrid connection. Can I just pop my battery top back up using something ? Or is this unsafe ??

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My vape battery got dented my positive side and my mech his no longer firing due to tk the gap between hybrid connection. Can I just pop my battery top back up using something ? Or is this unsafe ??

Probably time to retire the battery for use in the mod and get a new one. The good news is, that battery will probably work fine in a flashlight that uses 18650's.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As @Robert B has said, it is best to retire that battery for vaping now. You could try to pop the positive back up, but for a few £/$ a new battery is the best bet.

If you do actually try to do it, which I don't recommend at all, please make sure you use something that is non conductive. If you used something that was, and with the force of levering the positive back, you might tear through the wrap and make a dead short-something you do NOT want to happen.

This thread was quite early in my vaping days, and I still have the Angel mech in the link. I don't use it though, as the fire buttons connection is very tiny, small enough that I have actually damaged some 18650's at the negative end!

VU Sponsors