Become a Patron!

First mech squonker

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMG_20180215_135541.jpg

Bought a Pulse kit this morning. Cool little mechanical mod. Its my first foray into mech mods. The guy at the shop was good...asked me what battery I'm using, did I know ohms law, asked if I was aware of the dangers associated with mech mods etc and we chatted about batts and Mooch. Great experience.
Anyway, I have two SS316l twisted claptons 28gx2+30g 6 wraps @3mm running .24 ohms in there and the flavor is very muted. I have read the Pulse 24 gives really good flavor....So I guess I am on the wrong track somewhere. Any suggestions for a better flavor build?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Could be the height of your coil. If you can take a pic of your deck peeps can help you better. I have the Pulse 22 & the airflow holes should hit under the coil. Should be the same idea with the 24.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was not impressed with the flavor on my pulse 24 running a single coil tri-core fused clapton 3-26/36 ni80 single coil ~0.21 ohm. I haven't built it with dual coils yet. I got a pulse 22 today and put a Tri-Core Fused Clapton SS 30GX3/38G / 3MM / 5 wrap running it in TC mode on my RSQ and I am loving it. Hard to compare the 2 different materials, one on a mech and the other on a regulated in TC mode, but so far the smaller one wins for me.

Careful buying squonks, they tend to multiply.......

I got the athena kit in november... the 2 rsq showed up today, and all my RTA and non squonk devices (other than the cartel/glok setup) are all retired to the stash boxes.

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could be the height of your coil. If you can take a pic of your deck peeps can help you better. I have the Pulse 22 & the airflow holes should hit under the coil. Should be the same idea with the 24.

Aah, yeah the airflow tubes are firing directly at the sides of the coils. Will have to try longer legs, see if that makes a diff.

Cheers

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Aah, yeah the airflow tubes are firing directly at the sides of the coils. Will have to try longer legs, see if that makes a diff.

Cheers
To check the coil height I took a straight pin & from the outside of the top cap I put the needle in & it goes in at a slant & the pin was under the coil. Let us know how it is after you raise up your coil ;)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Also keep in mind the sag in the Pulse is outrageous and so you are not going to get a lot of oomph into any coil you use

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also keep in mind the sag in the Pulse is outrageous and so you are not going to get a lot of oomph into any coil you use

True. Bummer, I thought using copper strips would cause less sag than wires...? Maybe the switch aye..

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
True. Bummer, I thought using copper strips would cause less sag than wires...? Maybe the switch aye..

It doesn't have any wires - but I think the weak spot it is has to do with the lever type switch at the firing pin they included as a safety feature

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I will, cheers
To check the coil height I took a straight pin & from the outside of the top cap I put the needle in & it goes in at a slant & the pin was under the coil. Let us know how it is after you raise up your coil ;)

I raised my coils, made a nice difference to the overall vape, but flavor was still off a bit. Turned out to be the juice. Got a good juice in there now and its great...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have two SS316l twisted claptons 28gx2+30g 6 wraps @3mm running .24 ohms in there and the flavor is very muted.

Might want try that coil set up with them ant 5 wraps 3 mm ID. From personal experience that ought to get a net of ~ 0.30. That for me does well with flavor in most RDA I try. Also I've been tentatively heading back to using rayon as wick material, for me it seems a bit more apt to release juice and flavor than cotton. Don't misunderstand, I think cotton is good as well yet for me it seems to hold tight on juice & not let flavor carry over. Yeah, I've started noticing differences. If you use rayon to wick, be sure to cascade it with 'shoulders' up against the ends of the coils, thin it like tree roots. Done the same with cotton, yet cotton will be cotton. Uh huh, rayon turns into tuna casserole. *chuckles* :) Rayon just seems to work better for me. It might for you also, or might not, food for thought at least.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Might want try that coil set up with them ant 5 wraps 3 mm ID. From personal experience that ought to get a net of ~ 0.30. That for me does well with flavor in most RDA I try. Also I've been tentatively heading back to using rayon as wick material, for me it seems a bit more apt to release juice and flavor than cotton. Don't misunderstand, I think cotton is good as well yet for me it seems to hold tight on juice & not let flavor carry over. Yeah, I've started noticing differences. If you use rayon to wick, be sure to cascade it with 'shoulders' up against the ends of the coils, thin it like tree roots. Done the same with cotton, yet cotton will be cotton. Uh huh, rayon turns into tuna casserole. *chuckles* :) Rayon just seems to work better for me. It might for you also, or might not, food for thought at least.
Rayon for the win! I started 2+ years ago with JeremyR’s rayon thread @ECF & never looked back! Another added plus when wicked properly with rayon I can get more than a month with the same wick as long as the juice isn’t a gunker ;)

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For me, the best flavor with squonking I got was with my Hadaly! It was shelved for the longest time since it required constant re-drips but a good ol squonker solved all of that! Currently have my standard 3x28GA/36 Ni80 6wrap Alien in there ohming out to about 0.3. Delish!

Last edited:

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
love rayon, haven't tried cotton since I started squonking and have no plans to. Even on something like this Dead Rabbit SQ where the tails are super long and thin it just wicks like a champ. Give a squeeze and take 3 - 5 drags (or more if in TC mode) then repeat.

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Am always keen on trying something different.

Another added plus when wicked properly with rayon I can get more than a month with the same wick as long as the juice isn’t a gunker ;)

.....and that sold me. Will check out where I can get some from.
Is there a particular brand or supplier that is recommended?

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another added plus when wicked properly with rayon I can get more than a month with the same wick as long as the juice isn’t a gunker

I usually go 100 ml (my standard recipe size, so easy to track) between re-wicks but have pushed it over 150ml. I DIY my juice and only add stevia for sweetener for fruit dominant recipes. There are rayon users on ECF that claim to have not re-wicked for upwards of 300ml.

make sure it says 100% rayon on the box

40' box is #44130
3lb box is #44060

There is a 500' box part number between those 2 sizes but I forget the sku/product number.

That 40' box lasted me nearly a year and a half.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yes, give me a few minutes. I’ll get you a link to Amazon. Check out the thread I mentioned upbove, great bunch there, always friendly & more than happy to help a newcomer.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Here you go:

Or if you have a Sally’s Beauty Supply in your area you can stop in store. Make sure the box says 100% rayon fibers.

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool, thank you for that.
Will try and find it locally as shipping it here is worth more than the goodies....

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, thank you for that.
Will try and find it locally as shipping it here is worth more than the goodies....
yeah, shipping can be a bear especially out of the states. That 40' box cost me 10 or 11 bucks from amazon... that 3lb box (>500') cost me $18 or so after tax locally from a Sally's Beauty.

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually go 100 ml (my standard recipe size, so easy to track) between re-wicks but have pushed it over 150ml. I DIY my juice and only add stevia for sweetener for fruit dominant recipes. There are rayon users on ECF that claim to have not re-wicked for upwards of 300ml.

40' box is #44130
3lb box is #44060

There is a 500' box part number between those 2 sizes but I forget the sku/product number.

40' box is #44130
3lb box is #44060

Great cheers!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rayon for the win! I started 2+ years ago with JeremyR’s rayon thread @ECF & never looked back! Another added plus when wicked properly with rayon I can get more than a month with the same wick as long as the juice isn’t a gunker ;)

Yep, that thread is where I found the Church Of Rayon. :) I had strayed off to the religion of cotton a bit. Not sure why aside from wanting to give it a fair trying out. Sure, can see how lots can use it and to them it is bee's knees, for me rayon it ain't. ;) So I'm going back to the Rayon Church Of. :) Still got some Muji cotton I might on rare times use, til it gets gone. Neither is terribly costly fortunately.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

40' box is #44130
3lb box is #44060

Is there any other wicking material?.....:wave:

F**k cotton, or the Rayon they all Cotton Bacon....:teehee:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
love rayon, haven't tried cotton since I started squonking and have no plans to. Even on something like this Dead Rabbit SQ where the tails are super long and thin it just wicks like a champ. Give a squeeze and take 3 - 5 drags (or more if in TC mode) then repeat.

Yeah, I think with a Squonk using rayon as wick the old Tootsie pop question is replaced with the one below.

"Does this rayon ever dry out?" :D :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is there any other wicking material?.....:wave:

F**k cotton, or the Rayon they all Cotton Bacon....:teehee:

I'd rather fuck silk but okay, guess cotton gets fucked too. What do I care?

to%20do%20list%20fuck.gif

winnie%20fuck.gif

b9467cec31a1ccdaba4a2815854d73eb--quotes-about-life-xmas.jpg

46b9511ff760206ce6403d4e634ca50e--geckos-stress-free.jpg

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Dude I ran out of cotton and literately washed and dried rayon and it was good to go. I don't know about it health wise, but the shit is definitely made to last. I have been trying to get back into Jap organic cotton. So long as wicks are properly combed out capillary action is close.

Rayon feels so airy and fluffy until it's juiced then it swells so much. There is a proper way to wick and with rayon less definitely is more.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Dude I ran out of cotton and literately washed and dried rayon and it was good to go. I don't know about it health wise, but the shit is definitely made to last. I have been trying to get back into Jap organic cotton. So long as wicks are properly combed out capillary action is close.

Rayon feels so airy and fluffy until it's juiced then it swells so much. There is a proper way to wick and with rayon less definitely is more.

I was under the impression with rayon you had to get the coil stuffed pretty tight since rayon actually compresses when wet?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Actually it should be snug in the coil but thinned out tails. After the coil is wet check your the last wrap on your coil if you can poke a toothpick & you see a gap it’s not enough.
Yup all I know is when I use rayon I'll wick like normal, but I really thin and comb out perfectly. More so than organic cotton. When I go to change mind you I don't pack my coils work cotton. I don't wick hard. I like just a bit of resistance in the pull through and I make sure there's just a tiny bit of resistance.

When I go to pull out clean and re wick, it's swelled a ton and the coil seems packed with rayon.

Maybe it's the brand I'm using who knows

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup all I know is when I use rayon I'll wick like normal, but I really thin and comb out perfectly. More so than organic cotton. When I go to change mind you I don't pack my coils work cotton. I don't wick hard. I like just a bit of resistance in the pull through and I make sure there's just a tiny bit of resistance.

When I go to pull out clean and re wick, it's swelled a ton and the coil seems packed with rayon.

Maybe it's the brand I'm using who knows

As long as you’re happy with the vape, that’s all that matters :)

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Rayon has been a struggle bus for me, I kept watching videos of people jamming that shit in the coil and thinning but when I do that it tastes like fairy farts. Of course I've only wicked tanks with it.

I did however get it working decently in my Kayfun 5 today without major stuffage. Wicked it similar to cotton but did thin the tails a ton and it's been fine. Maybe my idea of wicking tight is way too tight normally. Who knows.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rayon has been a struggle bus for me, I kept watching videos of people jamming that shit in the coil and thinning but when I do that it tastes like fairy farts. Of course I've only wicked tanks with it.

I did however get it working decently in my Kayfun 5 today without major stuffage. Wicked it similar to cotton but did thin the tails a ton and it's been fine. Maybe my idea of wicking tight is way too tight normally. Who knows.

Fairy farts lol! The recommended tightness on the rayon thread would be, if you can hear,the rayon squeak when pulling through. When wicked sufficiently the break-in time could be reduced by priming the coil first & you would be rewarded with wick longevity.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I liked rayon and feel like it Accel in squonking because it does wick a tad faster than regular cotton. Not only that I believe that since it holds much more juice there's less juice in contact of the rayon... Basically more juice to fiber ratio.

I will say, that people who say your don't need to comb out your wicks... Do it! And thoroughly. It helps. I've done so many experiments with rayon vs cotton and so long as your cotton is combed and thinned out neatly your going to get fast wicking. Much much later than not wicking. But to main reason is FLAVOR. Of course the cotton won't hold as much as if it weren't combed out but your trade that for faster wicking, let dry hits, and better flavor.

This is all my opinion maybe some of it had been proven I don't really pay much attention to many m tutorials on wicking. This is just what really works the best for me

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Fairy farts lol! The recommended tightness on the rayon thread would be, if you can hear,the rayon squeak when pulling through. When wicked sufficiently the break-in time could be reduced by priming the coil first & you would be rewarded with wick longevity.
See I never hear a squeak no matter how much I put in! Maybe because I mainly use aliens and they are textured?

Edit: That's what she said!

One day I'll get it..

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See I never hear a squeak no matter how much I put in! Maybe because I mainly use aliens and they are textured?

Edit: That's what she said!

One day I'll get it..
You might not always 'hear' the squeak but you should be able to feel it in your fingers (I usually put one finger on the coil to help prevent coil distortion). I use complex fused/triple/quad claptons and always can feel or hear it. I 'draft' my rayon and twist it slightly as I pull it through to make sure I get it somewhat compressed before I pull it thru the coil.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might not always 'hear' the squeak but you should be able to feel it in your fingers (I usually put one finger on the coil to help prevent coil distortion). I use complex fused/triple/quad claptons and always can feel or hear it. I 'draft' my rayon and twist it slightly as I pull it through to make sure I get it somewhat compressed before I pull it thru the coil.
What @fozzy71 said ^^ :)

VU Sponsors