Become a Patron!

First Mech Tube? Clone vs Authentic.

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey there guys, so, I've been vaping a little over 4 months now, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle a mechanical tube mod. I do however have a few questions, mostly in regards to which I should buy.

There's so many out there, clones, authentics, the tugboat, able, tlv, nemesis, etc, and then their clones. Which leads me to one of my more main questions: Is there truly any real difference between a clone tube for $20 and the real $200 deal? It's just simply a metal tube, with all the bare guts to make a direct connection to the battery. Right?
(My feeling is they make their money off of people wanting the real deal, the "brand.")

Other questions:

• What are some of the best copper clones out there? I've read / heard that both the Able and Nemesis clones are extremely well made. Those two are likely going to be top contenders?
• Is there any extra risk when using a clone versus an authentic? The word "clone" does inherent a sort of offputting feeling.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello There. I have many Mech Mod Clones. My copper nemesis is probably still my favorite cloned mod. I must push a stern warning though. You must really watch your batteries closely as if there is any damage to the wrapping on the battery at all you could have a self-firing mod. This happened to me once and fortunately I only had a 0.7 ohm coil on it with a VTC4 battery so it just got a little hot and melted my tank insulator a little (tank still works though as insulator is still intact). Anywho, I have moved on to regulated mods now simply because of the consistency of the vape. I own 2 authentic mech mods from Super-T Manufacturing and they are the only mech mods I use anymore (and that is still only once in a great while). I am sure there are a bunch of copper mods I have not used that are really nice, just make sure to keep your contacts clean and your builds within the limits of your batteries! Good luck on your vaping adventure and just remember to be safe.

Best Regards,
Mr. Chainvapor

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hello There. I have many Mech Mod Clones. My copper nemesis is probably still my favorite cloned mod. I must push a stern warning though. You must really watch your batteries closely as if there is any damage to the wrapping on the battery at all you could have a self-firing mod. This happened to me once and fortunately I only had a 0.7 ohm coil on it with a VTC4 battery so it just got a little hot and melted my tank insulator a little (tank still works though as insulator is still intact). Anywho, I have moved on to regulated mods now simply because of the consistency of the vape. I own 2 authentic mech mods from Super-T Manufacturing and they are the only mech mods I use anymore (and that is still only once in a great while). I am sure there are a bunch of copper mods I have not used that are really nice, just make sure to keep your contacts clean and your builds within the limits of your batteries! Good luck on your vaping adventure and just remember to be safe.

Best Regards,
Mr. Chainvapor

Oh yeah, every time I take that cell out, after I take it off the charger, and before I pop it in I'll be thoroughly checking the wrap. I know how to calculate current drawn, to check the battery consistently so I don't discharge it lower than 3.6, as you said to clean all contacts involved with rubbing alcohol, and all the other general dos and donts. I've been building my own coils now for as long as I've been vaping and this mech tube is not going to be an on-the-go vape. I'll only be using it at my house and I'll be starting at a 1 ohm build, and working my way down to 0.5 at the lowest.

I'm thinking hard on the AV Able or Nemesis clone.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh yeah, every time I take that cell out, after I take it off the charger, and before I pop it in I'll be thoroughly checking the wrap. I know how to calculate current drawn, to check the battery consistently so I don't discharge it lower than 3.6, as you said to clean all contacts involved with rubbing alcohol, and all the other general dos and donts. I've been building my own coils now for as long as I've been vaping and this mech tube is not going to be an on-the-go vape. I'll only be using it at my house and I'll be starting at a 1 ohm build, and working my way down to 0.5 at the lowest.

I'm thinking hard on the AV Able or Nemesis clone.

Sounds like you are off to a very good start! I also wanted to mention a mod I forgot about that was my favorite mod before my Super T Mods came, and that is the Stingray X Mod. Probably the most beautiful mech mod I have ever owned (although it is a clone) with all the conductivity of copper on the inside and the durability of Stainless steel on the outside, it would be my first pick for a clone. Only downfall is most of the clones will need a little TLC on the firing switch to make it work properly. I used some graphite in mine and after about a week of use with the graphite, the switch smoothed out nicely. Vaping old school as I type this, Stingray X with a Mephisto RDA. Here is a pic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205010134733662&set=gm.1363443710338414&type=3

13316935_10205010134733662_4017310115782855569_o.jpg

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sounds like you are off to a very good start! I also wanted to mention a mod I forgot about that was my favorite mod before my Super T Mods came, and that is the Stingray X Mod. Probably the most beautiful mech mod I have ever owned (although it is a clone) with all the conductivity of copper on the inside and the durability of Stainless steel on the outside, it would be my first pick for a clone. Only downfall is most of the clones will need a little TLC on the firing switch to make it work properly. I used some graphite in mine and after about a week of use with the graphite, the switch smoothed out nicely. Vaping old school as I type this, Stingray X with a Mephisto RDA. Here is a pic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205010134733662&set=gm.1363443710338414&type=3

13316935_10205010134733662_4017310115782855569_o.jpg

My apologies for the belated reply, been busy and haven't been feeling too well lately either.

I've been thinking long and hard on the Stingray X clone, and I'm likely going to pick one up. I've done a ton of research on it and it seems a go-to, as well as the Nemesis, Knurled King, and King v2 clones. The only thing is.... where do I pick one up?! I've heard that SKX and Hcigar are the best manufacturers of these said clones, but most sites I'm looking at don't disclose that information on the page itself.

May I ask where you bought yours from? I watched Twisted 420's video on the Stingray X, and his link for vaportech no longer worked, I believe the one he had was an Infinite clone which I have read is just SKX rebranded.

Was trolling around this week and found this site, picked up 3 Mech's for $5 each, 95% off fire sale. Not bad, decent construction and looks like they'll be my kick around mod's. They've been Vaping pretty well.

http://shop.vaporsource.com/vape-mo...ic/madz-modz/vapor-source-vs-mod-by-madz-modz

There's also another Brass Tube Mod on the site for $10.

http://shop.vaporsource.com/vape-mo.../authentic/hd-outpost-authentic-mod-madz-mods

For the price of these you really can't beat it.

Thank you for those links! I'll be sure to check them out :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
My apologies for the belated reply, been busy and haven't been feeling too well lately either.

I've been thinking long and hard on the Stingray X clone, and I'm likely going to pick one up. I've done a ton of research on it and it seems a go-to, as well as the Nemesis, Knurled King, and King v2 clones. The only thing is.... where do I pick one up?! I've heard that SKX and Hcigar are the best manufacturers of these said clones, but most sites I'm looking at don't disclose that information on the page itself.

May I ask where you bought yours from? I watched Twisted 420's video on the Stingray X, and his link for vaportech no longer worked, I believe the one he had was an Infinite clone which I have read is just SKX rebranded.

Thank you for those links! I'll be sure to check them out :)
I own the following and the SS version of it. They are great!
https://m.fasttech.com/p/2019601

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here is a link to a white one

http://www.vividsmoke.com/devices/mechanical-mods/stingray-x-mod-clone-white.html?filter=75,78

Not sure if I like the white, but it is in the states already. Fasttech would probably be the best bet for a stainless steel one but you will probably be waiting a while for it. You may want to put up a request here on Vaping Underground and see if someone has one they want to sell.

After searching a little more I found a Stainless Steel Infinite Clone at Mt Baker Vapor

Click Here for Link

$39.99 is pretty pricy for a mech mod now-a-days but I would pay it just to get it in the states and not have to wait for a shipment from China. That is just me though. Good luck and Happy Vaping!

Sincerely,
Mr. Chainvapor

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Here is a link to a white one

http://www.vividsmoke.com/devices/mechanical-mods/stingray-x-mod-clone-white.html?filter=75,78

Not sure if I like the white, but it is in the states already. Fasttech would probably be the best bet for a stainless steel one but you will probably be waiting a while for it. You may want to put up a request here on Vaping Underground and see if someone has one they want to sell.

After searching a little more I found a Stainless Steel Infinite Clone at Mt Baker Vapor

Click Here for Link

$39.99 is pretty pricy for a mech mod now-a-days but I would pay it just to get it in the states and not have to wait for a shipment from China. That is just me though. Good luck and Happy Vaping!

Sincerely,
Mr. Chainvapor

Have you heard of Focalecig? I've heard they're basically Fasttech but they have a United States warehouse.

Thank you a lot for the links, really appreciate it.

I've been thinking on getting a Tugboat, Limitless, Tesla Dragon, a Dharma, a Nemesis, Knurled King, or a King V2... that's what I have it down to.. .haha.

VU Sponsors