Become a Patron!

First RDA. Goon. Disappointment

Hi all first off. New here and have a bit of a question. I am currently using a gx350. I am used to vaping with a TFV12 with the T12 coils normally (@130w) but decided to try my first RDA so bought a goon (one with the clamp).

This has been a bit of a disappointment if i am honest. Had some staple wire pre built's first off which just didn't heat up at all for some reason. Switched to some 30 gauge round which tasted burnt and produced little vapour. Now i have some 24 gauge flat wire which i have used in various arrangements including wedging 4 of them in which didn't work well at all.

The best set up i have tried is dual 24 gauge flat wire 4/5 wraps spaced slightly apart with minimal cotton. Still though even on 110 watts on the "hard" setting it feels very restricted taking too long to heat, not producing the same amount of vapour as my TFV12 and the flavour is hit and miss but never noticeably better than my tank.

I have heard great things about the goon so am i doing something wrong here?

Would appreciate any responses on this particularly if you have owned one of these. Also on a side note i considered a mason 30mm so i could more easily use 4 coils. Is this a good idea?

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1. Most "staple" prebuilts arnt real staples. The ribbon is oriented flat instead of vertical. Usually they junk
2. 30g is pretty thin for a single wire build. How many wraps? What diameter?
3. Idk what 24g flat wire is. Is it square or are you talking about ribbon wire? Either way far from optimal.
Most of the symptoms you describe sound like they come from a combination of coil,wicking and wattage problems. My suggestion would be to start simple. Basic 24 or 26 guage dual coils wrapped on 3.5mm and wicked properly is a good starting point.
Dont get discouraged tho everybody goes through this learning process. It takes some trial and error. Keep at it lots of vaping satisfaction is in your future!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep at it. My goon is better in every category than my silly v12. Well, aside from capacity and other obvious things that are inherent in the designs. I've tried all of the v12 coils except for that new one, whatever it is.

I'm getting ready to start buying a few different rda, I may grab a couple more rta's and having that v12 sit there is pissing me off, so I'll probably grab one of the rba decks. This, especially, because I love the rba on the big baby beast. Might consider that too if you are gonna get into coil building anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Okay looks like i should just get some new wire and try again then. Would 24 gauge be better than 26 to heat up quicker and how many wraps would you recommend if i go for 3.5mm diameter then?

Another question too, do you use just enough wick to touch the bottom of the well or do you completely cover the bottom of the well.

And it was just sold to me as flat wire. Looks round until you look up close then you can tell it's slightly flat but the wire seems to run at a right angle to the length of the wire if that makes sense.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU. Watch some coil building vids on Youtube. Youtube taught me how to vape and build and stay safe doing it.

I still don't get it. The steam calculator confuses me. Kanthal wire, dual coil, target resistance 0.1 - 0.2 ohms (what i'm used to), 3.5mm diameter = 1-3 wraps? People seem to be using 7+ a lot of the time from what i've seen plus the heat capacity keeps giving me coloured warnings for lag time and i can't adjust wattage on there only heat flux which i don't really get.

Is there any other calculators as they all seem to be the same one when i search?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still don't get it. The steam calculator confuses me. Kanthal wire, dual coil, target resistance 0.1 - 0.2 ohms (what i'm used to), 3.5mm diameter = 1-3 wraps? People seem to be using 7+ a lot of the time from what i've seen plus the heat capacity keeps giving me coloured warnings for lag time and i can't adjust wattage on there only heat flux which i don't really get.

Is there any other calculators as they all seem to be the same one when i search?
The other people may be using NI80 or SS wire which has lower resistance.
And would mean more wraps for the same resistance as Kanthal.
Virtually no one who vapes .1 -.2 range uses Kanthal single wire.
Now the fancy gargoyle hooved alien coils are a different matter since they are paralelled wires and such.

I'm just going to get some better wire off ebay first then and have a play around. Any suggestions on what to get as there are hundreds of materials and styles?

There's SS, NI, FeCrAl? hive, juggernaut, taiji, tiger, clapton, double clapton etc.

For what i am using what should i go for?

It depends on how much you want to spend. I started with 24 and 26 gauge kanthal, 25 feet of each. I also got 100 feet of 36 gauge so I could learn how to clapton. On my next order, I bought a lot more wire because I realized I enjoy building. Mainly nichrome, some kanthal ribbon. If you're gonna Clapton, get your wrap wire in like 250' or 500' lengths because it goes quickly. And if you want to try temp control, get stainless. It works in wattage mode also.

Start with the basics. You seem to like low ohm builds so I'd suggest 22 or 24 gauge nichrome or stainless, but get a variety of gauges and types in short 10' or 25' lengths. It might take quite a few builds to find what you like.

Master of clouds has cheap wire on eBay. I think the seller is 0_ship or something like that. Lightning vapes, kbee, pure atomist... there is a lot of good cheap wire to be found on eBay. I've had good experiences with the master of clouds so far, but I've since bought lots of different brands.

And if you want to try more exotic builds without making them yourself, there are a few really good coil makers that sell their aliens and other exotic coils on eBay, not too pricey at around $10-15 a set. And there are people and places that sell premade Clapton and more exotic wires in spools, but I don't trust the really cheap brands of spooled exotic wire. I've read horror stories of the metals they use flaking off, etc. I know people that have had luck with it, but I don't trust it.

Stick with building and you're bound to find the build for you.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi all first off. New here and have a bit of a question. I am currently using a gx350. I am used to vaping with a TFV12 with the T12 coils normally (@130w) but decided to try my first RDA so bought a goon (one with the clamp).

This has been a bit of a disappointment if i am honest. Had some staple wire pre built's first off which just didn't heat up at all for some reason. Switched to some 30 gauge round which tasted burnt and produced little vapour. Now i have some 24 gauge flat wire which i have used in various arrangements including wedging 4 of them in which didn't work well at all.

The best set up i have tried is dual 24 gauge flat wire 4/5 wraps spaced slightly apart with minimal cotton. Still though even on 110 watts on the "hard" setting it feels very restricted taking too long to heat, not producing the same amount of vapour as my TFV12 and the flavour is hit and miss but never noticeably better than my tank.

I have heard great things about the goon so am i doing something wrong here?

Would appreciate any responses on this particularly if you have owned one of these. Also on a side note i considered a mason 30mm so i could more easily use 4 coils. Is this a good idea?
It's hard to beat the flavor from a Goon with the right coils and airflow. They can put out flavor with the best of attys.

Fused claptons seem to work the best (for me) @.15ohm.

Buy some decent coils from @CrazyChef v2.0 @b_d_builders @raymo2u not in any particular order, all three make exceptional coils.

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
For my Goon if I put it on a regulated mod I put simple high wattage coil build,n a 22g KA1 7 wrap dual coil build which comes out to about .23 and push about 110-120 watts on them. Also, are you positioning your coils next to the airflow holes correctly?

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I used a goon almost exclusively for my first 2 months of vaping. They still get used on a weekly basis and I own 2 real Goons and 2 clones lol. Yeah I have RDA issues...

The pre built coils I've found I liked the most for both flavor and vapor were some that I bought from AdvancedVapeSupply.com. I got their SS316L 3x28g/36g Triple Core Fused Claptons. I had them made at 3mm ID and 7 wraps (sometimes I remove a wrap or two depending on my mood). A pair of those ohms out to around .15 and I vape TC 550f @85w. They have basically no ramp up time and the vape is very warm and flavorful. I normally run mine with 2 air holes open on both sides but ocassionally when I want clouds bro clouds I rock it wide open.

Those coils are fairly priced IMO. They have also performed well with me as I have a variation of them in almost every single RDA I own atm lol.

Also you can't go wrong with having someone from the forums build you some like inspects suggested. I haven't gone that route yet, but I do intend to in the future!

Hopefully that helps a bit.

VU Sponsors