Become a Patron!

First RDA/RBA

rdeptula10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about getting my first RDA tank. I have never built before, but have many friends who do. I currently have a cool fire 4 with a kanger megatank. The cool fire 4 goes up to 40w. I'm looking into the Orchid but unsure if that is a good one to start out with. I'm not interested in dripping, so it must have a tank. Thanks everyone.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about getting my first RDA tank. ... I'm not interested in dripping, so it must have a tank. Thanks everyone.
Then what you want is an RTA, not an RDA.

RDA: Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
RBA: ReBuildable Atomizer for a tank that also accepts pre-manufactured coils
RTA: Rebuildable Tank Assembly/Atomizer

(Yeah: The terms/acronyms seem kind of ambiguous and arbitrary, don't they?)

As for choice: You'll get as many opinions as there are RTAs :)

So here's what I just selected: The OBS Crius with Velocity-style deck.

Here's why I selected it over others: Appears to be a very flexible tank, what with both air-flow and juice-flow controls. Very convenient top-fill mechanism. Very easy build deck.

Have fun. Doing the research and making the selection is half the fun, IMO :)

Last edited:

rdeptula10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Then what you want is an RTA, not an RDA.

RDA: Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
RBA: ReBuildable Atomizer for a tank that also accepts pre-manufactured coils
RTA: Rebuildable Tank Aassembly/Assembly

(Yeah: The terms/acronyms seem kind of ambiguous and arbitrary, don't they?)

As for choice: You'll get as many opinions as there are RTAs :)

So here's what I just selected: The OBS Crius with Velocity-style deck.

Here's why I selected it over others: Appears to be a very flexible tank, what with both air-flow and juice-flow controls. Very convenient top-fill mechanism. Very easy build deck.

Have fun. Doing the research and making the selection is half the fun, IMO :)

Thank you for the correct terminology. I will look into the OBS Crius Velocity style deck.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What kind of tank also depends on whether you are a mouth to lungs, or a direct to lung hitter, although most have airflow control. So, how do you inhale?

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are so many choices expect this thread to grow quickly.With that being said welcome aboard.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Mouth to lung
You should probably check out Next-gen 'shorty' tanks designed for MTL use (ex-smokers)

TL;DR: Of the current RTAs: The Youde Goblin Mini is widely-felt to be the best MTL tank. The Crius may be a good MTL tank. Some have used it, that way. That's the way I'm going to use it... or try to :)

Unless you specifically want to rebuild, however, it's not really necessary to have an RTA to get decent MTL vapour and flavour. A lot of us have had really good results from the Eleaf GS-Tank with their 1.5Ω GS Air coils, for example. That's what I'm using, right now. Some speak very highly of the Aspire Nautilus with their new 1.8Ω BVC coils. (I plan to get one of those, next, just because I think it's a cool looking tank and I'm interested in trying it.)

rdeptula10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You should probably check out Next-gen 'shorty' tanks designed for MTL use (ex-smokers)

TL;DR: Of the current RTAs: The Youde Goblin Mini is widely-felt to be the best MTL tank. The Crius may be a good MTL tank. Some have used it, that way. That's the way I'm going to use it... or try to :)

Unless you specifically want to rebuild, however, it's not really necessary to have an RTA to get decent MTL vapour and flavour. A lot of us have had really good results from the Eleaf GS-Tank with their 1.5Ω GS Air coils, for example. That's what I'm using, right now. Some speak very highly of the Aspire Nautilus with their new 1.8Ω BVC coils. (I plan to get one of those, next, just because I think it's a cool looking tank and I'm interested in trying it.)
I think I definitely want to get a RTA.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The Goliath V2 might be something for you. You can either use replacement coil heads, or build on the included RBA. If I'm not mistaken, it also has a "plug" for single coil builds (can't find my box of the tank). For mouth to lung close the airflow control to your liking.

rdeptula10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the correct terminology. I will look into the OBS Crius Velocity style deck.
The only thing holding me back from ordering the Crius is I'm unsure if it has a 510 adapter. I know...kind of ridiculous.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The only thing holding me back from ordering the Crius is I'm unsure if it has a 510 adapter. I know...kind of ridiculous.
"510 adaptor?" It's a 510 connection to the mod/battery. Has been all along. Do you mean the drip tip? Anything you buy now should be with a standard 510 drip tip socket. No adaptor needed.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some speak very highly of the Aspire Nautilus* with their new 1.8Ω BVC coils.
I'd skip getting that if I were you as that'd be taking a backwards step.Unless you want to get some VapeOnly vAir-T Nautilus Nickel OCC coils for it.Then of course you'd either need to get a TC mod or own 1 already.

*Taste = Meh
Vapor = Meh
Don't get my wrong I still own and use the 1 I have mostly for when I vape menthols just be aware they have far less than stellar performance.

rdeptula10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"510 adaptor?" It's a 510 connection to the mod/battery. Has been all along. Do you mean the drip tip? Anything you buy now should be with a standard 510 drip tip socket. No adaptor needed.
I'm sorry 510 connector. Watch the review on TVC.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm sorry 510 connector. Watch the review on TVC.
I watched it a couples days ago. I don't recall anything about the 510 connector raising any red flags for me. It's a 510 connector and I believe it's even adjustable.

What was mentioned in that review that gives you pause?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It might take longer but you'll get better advice here than from any reviewer on YouTube...Just Saying.
It's a pretty good review, IMO. In fact: That review was part of what encouraged me to give the Crius a try. I just don't recall any issues about the 510 connector having been raised. Perhaps I missed it? Then again: If there were any such issues: I would think they would've been raised here in the forums, no? Haven't seen anything here about it, either.

The only issues I've ever seen raised about that tank were with the 510 drip tip compatibility and the hole sizes in the build deck, both of which were quickly addressed by OBS.

rampagedRXreg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm personally going to recommend the mutank from Indulgence or the mt tank from them they are both great rta's with huge build decks and they are both relatively reasonable priced also. If you want a tank that hits like an rda these are perfect for you.

Last edited:

webbb82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Finished a new article on some good new RDA's to check out. Not sure if you ever found something but one of these may work for you New RDA's for Feb 2016

VU Sponsors