Become a Patron!

First time box creation.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I like to tinker, as do most people. I want to make an unregulated box mod. I have seen Hella tuts for making them. Cool, show me where to put the wires and all the other components in the box, and just leave it at that. Why don't you show me how to use a multimeter to see if my connections are actually solid. I understand how to use a multimeter to find the resistance using the owns property on an RDA, and how to use the voltage setting to find out what your battery is at; but how do you use the multimeter to make sure that all of your wires are set up to find the resistance of your box mod? I want to make sure all of my connections are secure and I didn't spend $50 on a multimeter for nothing. Thank you for your help. :)

When life gets you down, blame gravity.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL, that's not as easy as a 5 Minute video tutorial. As the word Multimeter indicates, there's a multitude of measurements possible. You might want to find out more about electricity and electronics. However, you don't have to buy an Oscilloscope for your purposes I assume. I might be able to give you some pointers, if you'd let me know more details of what it is, you're trying to accomplish.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL, that's not as easy as a 5 Minute video tutorial. As the word Multimeter indicates, there's a multitude of measurements possible. You might want to find out more about electricity and electronics. However, you don't have to buy an Oscilloscope for your purposes I assume. I might be able to give you some pointers, if you'd let me know more details of what it is, you're trying to accomplish.
Essentially I want to be able to learn to use the multimeter and figure out if I wired everything correctly since it is my first box mod. I want to make sure that all the connections are sound so I don't know which settings that I need to use, and which wires or connections I need to put the red and black pointers at.

When life gets you down, blame gravity.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
With the dial on DC-10V (setting should be greater than the Volt you expect), you could measure the current (Voltage). Red is the positive, black the negative.

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
One thing to watch is for the high current wires, making sure you have good solder connections and not bad/cold solder joints. To the untrained eye the look good, to the trained eye they seem dull, to the multimeter they sometimes show higher then expected resistance. But, when you fire your mod, they show a measurable voltage drop which can give you a weak vape. The amount of resistance that is enough to cause problems might not even register on the cheap mltimeters.

Someone else just had the problem with their wire from the battery to the MOSFET which made it look like the MOSFET was bad. Just thought I'd pass on the pearl of wisdom that measuring the voltages to the battery - with & without firing can sometimes help you find problems you miss with measuring resistance.

VU Sponsors